Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chomposaur posted:

Just finished this and loved it. Started off as a drunk dude bro with a specialty in punching the door of ladies who didn't want to do the gently caress, ended up as a friendly neighborhood Art Cop ignoring the insane authoritarian voices in my head. Altho I still hated inanimate objects.

It's a lot of fun being the wacky sidekick to someone else's straight man. Proposed the dumbest theories possible at every turn right up to the end, like do you think the killer is STILL HERE? LIKE IN THE BED? INVISIBLE??? And also INCREDIBLY oversharing, like walking up to people and telling them that I stole their poo poo and got their buddy killed or whatever.

One of the funniest moments was a character asking "Why, why would you say that." and Kim responding "That's what he does ma'am, he just does things and then talks about it even if it's inappropriate."

I made a point of constantly oversharing and telling the truth to the point of my detriment because it produces the funniest playthrough by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

"Kim, that rental store made me feel sad."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Spoil me - did I miss my chance to use the blue spirits during the tribunal, or does that happen later?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Spoil me - did I miss my chance to use the blue spirits during the tribunal, or does that happen later?

Missed it. Gotta be wearing the horrible necktie

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I somehow made it my entire first run without ever telling anyone I'd lost my memory so I'm excited to go through and see how that changes. Kim basically seemed to have figured it out by the end but Honest Cop sounds like a lot of fun.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

One of the funniest moments was a character asking "Why, why would you say that." and Kim responding "That's what he does ma'am, he just does things and then talks about it even if it's inappropriate."

I made a point of constantly oversharing and telling the truth to the point of my detriment because it produces the funniest playthrough by far.

I made the mistake of playing as boring burnout cop towards the beginning, but there was some conversation where Kim expressed actual disappointment that I didn't follow my trademark detectiving style of baffling them with bullshit. After that, I understood my role in this game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xander77 posted:

You need to be wearing the Horrific Necktie after you confront Ruby. The option to get the blue spirits ready for use will pop up as you're leaving her hideaway.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Arrhythmia posted:

Missed it. Gotta be wearing the horrible necktie

Ho ho, hee hee, look @ this post implying someone wouldn't wear the Horrific Necktie the entire game, chortle

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I loved that neck-tie, the moment where it talks about when you walked into the store and bought it was way more touching and emotional than a reminiscence on a sad drunk buying an ugly tie to feel alive had any right to be.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Songbearer posted:

[12] Empathy:
Empathy is a perfect skill for your touchy-feely cop and acted exactly the way I wanted it to. Every time you need a sensitive touch, Empathy is there to help <...> Personality is gentle and kind, like you'd expect.
This made me laugh, because you're not wrong per se, but at the same time Empathy (failure) is a very different skill, and hardly the one I would describe as "gentle and kind".

quote:

[7] Rhetoric:
Extremely useful skill, in my opinion, which is a no-brainer in a game full of talking to people. <...>It's pretty much your "Neutral conversation" skill and works exactly as described.
At least in my playthrough, Rhetoric was more a skill of, "You have *opinions* and you need to express them," regardless how much it might piss people off. Maybe it depends what you pair it with.

quote:

[3] Interfacing:
Kind of like Empathy for machines, I guess? When it showed up a few times I could see you might get some really interesting interactions because there's a good amount of machinery in this game.
It's both Encyclopedia *and* Empathy for machines, and also lets you nerd out with Kim about his car which nets some nice buddying-up moments.

quote:

[2] Authority:
I almost forgot to include this. I actually went out of my way to decrease the stat because it's everything I didn't want my character to be. Stop stepping on the little people, you dick, we're here to make things better t:mad:
Haha I finished the game with -2 in Authority, which really didn't help me with that one check.

And you definitely owe it to yourself to do a playthrough with high Shivers. I finished the game with high skills roughly similar to yours, plus super high Perception and high Shivers, and Shivers was responsible for some of my favorite moments by the end. It's so much more than gritty noire detective skill, though even that by itself would be fun enough.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Other Games: "They killed my whole family and burned my town to the ground and I became a horrible alcoholic."

Meh.

Disco Elysium: "Horrible Necktie."

I'll miss you forever necktie, you were my best friend in the world.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hwurmp posted:

You need to be wearing the Horrific Necktie after you confront Ruby. The option to get the blue spirits ready for use will pop up as you're leaving her hideaway.
You also need the "Spirits Eternal" sidequest (have the tie pipe-up as you buy the blue spirits).

Man, reloading and doing this was SO worth it.

But on the other hand, I'm deeply annoyed I didn't get the option to just try and charge people with the sword.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 2, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

"Kim, that rental store made me feel sad."

you are the idiot watson to Kim's sherlock and it's great

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Finally wrapped up my Empath IE/Shivers Apocalypse cop. Encased myself in invincible ceramic exoskeleton, founded a dance music religion, made friends with a bug and got a photo, used the spirit bomb, offered Kim a job at the 41st . Good run.

I'm hoping every game in the isola-verse deals with the holes in reality . yknow, to tie things together. Isn't there one in the making with a pregnant lady protagonist?

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 2, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Grimoire posted:

Finally wrapped up my Empath IE/Shivers Apocalypse cop. Encased myself in invincible ceramic exoskeleton, founded a dance music religion, made friends with a bug and got a photo, used the spirit bomb, offered Kim a job at the 41st . Good run.

I'm hoping every game in the isola-verse deals with the holes in reality . yknow, to tie things together. Isn't there one in the making with a pregnant lady protagonist?

It's one of the ideas they had for a possible sequel; although I have some doubts about how they could replicate the appeal of this game without an amnesiac, the ownership you feel over the protagonist is very heavily reliant on your decisions both altering his present personality and past, but the team is so drat talented I'm sure they'll pull something off I didn't even consider.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
So there's a sequel coming? Are there any expansions planned for this game too? Be still my heart.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 2, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Songbearer posted:

So there's a sequel coming? Are there any expansions planned for this game too? Be still my heart.

There was an interview where the lead dev said they're considering an expansion then sequel but I would consider those very tenuous pronouncements at the moment.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

They have plans for an expansion and a full sequel, as per that interview posted couple pages back.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This is the first point and click adventure game I’ve played and I don’t get this at all...

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

sponges posted:

This is the first point and click adventure game I’ve played and I don’t get this at all...

That's because it's not one.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

sponges posted:

The game is a book, the plot is mostly set, but you can choose *Exactly* how hosed up the protagonist actually is

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Grimoire posted:

The game is a book, the plot is mostly set, but you can choose *Exactly* how hosed up the protagonist actually is

The protagonist has the most severe case of alcohol induced amnesia ever.

What is money?
What is my name?
What in the heck is a book?

He’s a toddler.

I did get to take a swing at mouthy degenerate street kid. That was fun.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I dont think I got the option to even ask 'what is money'.

I also just finished it tonight. I loved it, but had some issues with the ending. the real emotional finality to it all was in the nap I took in the bunker. that was heavy and important. leaving that and having a long conversation that didnt seem to matter much with someone who should have been way more important felt odd. Then there was a great moment of weird mystery - which just ended. and then we got back to shore and everyone rattled through a summary of how i'd played.

My post earlier today about how the concepts were falling into place was the moment the game became significant to me. the dream sequence in the bunker genuinely made me cry - they could have found a way to have that happen right at the end sequence before the credits roll. that would've been so loving powerful as a closer.

e: anyone want to hear some limbic system poetry?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ikgF2zNQH4

E2: related video is an interview that goes deep into his voice work in disco elysium. still cant deal with his normal talking voice, i've been a fan of this band since their first ep.
lol at the date of this video and how much deep info was dropped, washed over everyone. this is 18 months old and he's definitely breaking NDA, it's got 225 loving views and is a lovely interview in a pub garden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RGEyFRQ3F8&t=378s

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 2, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I've been goofing around to see what happens if you make clearly impossible rolls and it kinda bums me out the majority of them still kinda just "nope" you.

Q: Can you avoid getting shot during the tribunal? The last reflex roll you always lose- I even doublechecked by busting it with Cheat Engine. Kinda annoys me really.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Q: Can you avoid getting shot during the tribunal? The last reflex roll you always lose- I even doublechecked by busting it with Cheat Engine. Kinda annoys me really.

it'd cheapen the game if you could make that roll honestly

you're being shot at with a semi-auto rifle, it'd be ridiculous if you could juke more than one shot. harry is talented but he can't do things that are genuinely impossible, like opening the bunker door

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

dmboogie posted:

it'd cheapen the game if you could make that roll honestly

you're being shot at with a semi-auto rifle, it'd be ridiculous if you could juke more than one shot. harry is talented but he can't do things that are genuinely impossible, like opening the bunker door
The way I would've written a success is that you react in time but being a middle-aged alcoholic you aren't Neo so you just go rear end-over-tea-kettle and shot misses you mostly by happenstance.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I've been goofing around to see what happens if you make clearly impossible rolls and it kinda bums me out the majority of them still kinda just "nope" you.

my take is that if you dodged the first shot you're on your backfoot and don't have enough time to react to the second shot, and if you got hit but had the armor on you're too shook to dodge it. basically you're brain is able to tell the next shots coming, but you just don't have the time for your body to react to the second shot.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Yeah honestly the noble sacrifice of the horrible neck tie is a great moment in video game history.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Jesus loving christ I just went back in the thread a few pages to read some spoilers and they're about how this guys ex-wife 'seems like a oval office'.

I was honestly expecting some genuine reading of the subject matter that I was missing. so loving gross.
a 12 year marriage ruined by this guy being an overly driven alcoholic detective piece of poo poo, and one rough phone call you've got nerds on the internet getting that reading out of it. thats properly horrible.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

people were extremely telling on themselves during that discourse
it's something of a theme with this game and the choices you make during your play through

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Definitely report the guy calling women cunts. jesus that's not cool. it shouldn't need to be said.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

a 12 year marriage ruined by this guy being an overly driven alcoholic detective piece of poo poo, and one rough phone call you've got nerds on the internet getting that reading out of it. thats properly horrible.
I mean, that's also a very one-sided reading of it(also they weren't married). The guy was not an overly driven alcoholic detective piece of poo poo of his own accord. When they got together, he was a gym teacher, happily jogging around and teaching kids about Contact Mike. She was the one who drove him to become a detective, a job he clearly was not emotionally suited for, and was also the one who insisted upon living in the upper-middle class part of town on a working class salary.

Really, though, I don't think she was a bad person. Their relationship just wasn't gonna work, they wanted different things out of life, and Harry seems to have been the one who insisted on trying to make it work over and over again until the stress of that caused him to self-destruct and finally force her to really put a permanent end to it. It wasn't really anyone's fault that it wasn't gonna work out, and I'd say that Harry was more to blame when it comes to why it took SO LONG for it to finally end, but I don't think characterizing it as "he was an overly driven alcoholic piece of poo poo and he ruined the relationship" is fair. It's more like the relationship was pre-ruined and he was 60ish% of the reason that it spent 12+ years getting dragged through the gutter and beaten with sticks before Dora finally put it down, instead of just taking it out behind the barn after 6 months and moving on with their lives.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

cock hero flux posted:

I mean, that's also a very one-sided reading of it(also they weren't married). The guy was not an overly driven alcoholic detective piece of poo poo of his own accord. When they got together, he was a gym teacher, happily jogging around and teaching kids about Contact Mike. She was the one who drove him to become a detective, a job he clearly was not emotionally suited for, and was also the one who insisted upon living in the upper-middle class part of town on a working class salary.

Really, though, I don't think she was a bad person. Their relationship just wasn't gonna work, they wanted different things out of life, and Harry seems to have been the one who insisted on trying to make it work over and over again until the stress of that caused him to self-destruct and finally force her to really put a permanent end to it. It wasn't really anyone's fault that it wasn't gonna work out, and I'd say that Harry was more to blame when it comes to why it took SO LONG for it to finally end, but I don't think characterizing it as "he was an overly driven alcoholic piece of poo poo and he ruined the relationship" is fair. It's more like the relationship was pre-ruined and he was 60ish% of the reason that it spent 12+ years getting dragged through the gutter and beaten with sticks before Dora finally put it down, instead of just taking it out behind the barn after 6 months and moving on with their lives.

It’s this one. The give away is that even Horrific Necktie says it was both of your faults. Neither Harry NOR Dora had the emotional maturity to handle the realities of their relationship.

“She was middle class” is true, and a salient part of why the relationship was doomed but it’s not the whole truth.

Also this is your daily reminder that oval office is only a super charged word in America. Everyone and everything on the British Isles is a oval office or are cunts.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 2, 2019

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Ok I had an overly basic retelling but remember I was talking about someone who had said how much of a oval office she was. I was reacting in the opposite direction, of course it was wildly complex and nuanced.
I'm English, that particular usage was not light and jovial.

I was mostly annoyed because I'd been expecting all those spoilers to be about subtext and the concept of oblivion and what I got was 'she was a oval office' about a scene that made me cry with how tragic it was.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 2, 2019

DrinkingBird
Sep 26, 2017
So I'm doing a Harry is a racist fascist run and apparently Everart noticed because his voiced filler greeting dialog changed... "Mr. Du Bois, every worker... To hell with it, every worker is white."
I literally did a double-take it was so unexpected.

DrinkingBird fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 2, 2019

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

Ok I had an overly basic retelling but remember I was talking about someone who had said how much of a oval office she was. I was reacting in the opposite direction, of course it was wildly complex and nuanced.
I'm English, that particular usage was not light and jovial.

I was mostly annoyed because I'd been expecting all those spoilers to be about subtext and the concept of oblivion and what I got was 'she was a oval office' about a scene that made me cry with how tragic it was.

such are the dangers of opening the mystery box, I'm afraid

and yes, while the word "oval office" exists in many forms depending on where you are, as a deeply unpleasant and gender-specific insult in America, a generic and mostly non-specific insult in Britain, and punctuation in Australia, when it's being used on the internet to refer to a woman in the context of discussing her personality you can safely assume something closer to the American version

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

cock hero flux posted:

such are the dangers of opening the mystery box, I'm afraid

and yes, while the word "oval office" exists in many forms depending on where you are, as a deeply unpleasant and gender-specific insult in America, a generic and mostly non-specific insult in Britain, and punctuation in Australia, when it's being used on the internet to refer to a woman in the context of discussing her personality you can safely assume something closer to the American version

you missed "and a compliment in new zealand"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
So this was a whole bunch of pages ago but:

It's actually incredibly cool to not find the bullet in the body. You instead have to slowly piece together that it doesn't make sense for them to have killed the mercenary, and push them to admit it. Picking through their narrative and going "wait, this doesn't make sense" and "that's not what Klassje said happened..." and then pressuring them to crack by appealing to their consciences was a really really great moment for me in my playthrough. While I think it would've been fun to notice the bullet day 1, it was so much more satisfying to figure out who was likely to crack their front and press the right buttons to make them admit they're not murderers and the interplay between drama, empathy, suggestion and logic in that scene was incredible and made me realize just how good of a system the game's got going on underneath.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm about to confront Ruby, should I finish up other stuff first then come back later? Game implies poo poo might go down once I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

cubicle gangster posted:

I dont think I got the option to even ask 'what is money'.

I also just finished it tonight. I loved it, but had some issues with the ending. the real emotional finality to it all was in the nap I took in the bunker. that was heavy and important. leaving that and having a long conversation that didnt seem to matter much with someone who should have been way more important felt odd. Then there was a great moment of weird mystery - which just ended. and then we got back to shore and everyone rattled through a summary of how i'd played.

My post earlier today about how the concepts were falling into place was the moment the game became significant to me. the dream sequence in the bunker genuinely made me cry - they could have found a way to have that happen right at the end sequence before the credits roll. that would've been so loving powerful as a closer.

I disagree. I think it’s good where it is. It sets up an extremely strong parallel when you finally reach the Deserter and talk to him, and can see the similarities in heartbreak, self-loathing, and obsession between yourself and him. Then you go back to the city and get asked, “Are you ready to move on? Or are you still broken?” And it feels like the answer that you’re ready to move on comes from a place of realization and wisdom, of having seen where you end up if you don’t change, rather than the video-gamey “I’m not actually invested in being wrong, so I’ll choose the answer I know is right”.