Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This Alan Goldsher guy played bass for Digable Planets lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
My god. What a beautiful play in 3 acts. Treachery. Retribution by ration. Contrition and remorse. Magnifique.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
They'll just have to poach some Barstool ... "writers" who could literally give no fucks about being ratioed.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

21st century Crime and Punishment

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Henchman of Santa posted:

This Alan Goldsher guy played bass for Digable Planets lmao

What the gently caress

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Barstool idiots still don't know what ethics are.

https://twitter.com/BarstoolNate/status/1190342781035778048?s=19

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

https://twitter.com/AlanGoldsher/status/1190344059543527426

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Glad he recognized the problem.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

This dude reverse milkshake ducked. Went from hated to lauded in no time flat.

And yeah, if I'm a freelancer this would scare me off.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

my morals are also based on a public barometer

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Good uses of Cyberbullying in 2019:

1. Turning Scabs
2. Ben Simmons shooting a 3 in preseason

e: Just saw this

https://twitter.com/AndrewJoePotter/status/1190341971145039878

BWV fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 1, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If you're just some middle aged hack writer than no one's ever heard of, it seems like that kind of platform would be worth some negative Twitter feedback.

Might have helped to write a better post though.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Declan MacManus posted:

Dude, c'mon. This guy stepped in it, and then got right. And it does suck to get piled on even if each individual person isn't saying anything terrible. He should have a beer and add "g/o media clusterfuck 2019 alumnus" to his Twitter profile.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
sometimes folks got bills to pay and maybe he knew poo poo was bad but not that this would happen.

he learned and made a good decision

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

General Dog posted:

If you're just some middle aged hack writer than no one's ever heard of, it seems like that kind of platform would be worth some negative Twitter feedback.

Might have helped to write a better post though.

Eh... I don't think anyone who writes for sports is prepared for just how pro-worker/pro-union the Deadspin audience is. Most sports guys probably just travel in bubbles where guys who look just like them all look at each other and go, "Unions, man, am I right?" all day.

Take me for example. I read every Magary article on Deadspin, and would check it once or twice a day for something interesting/provocative/funny, but otherwise I don't read sports media. I'm not just going to randomly start reading ESPN or whatever else.

I hope some Deadspin writers are able to start up something new, but that doesn't seem to be what happens ever in these scenarios.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yes I’m not going to fault that guy for doing the right thing almost immediately. He could have waited 12 hours for this to blow over and Twitter to move on to the next cancellation but he didn’t.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

LabyaMynora posted:

Eh... I don't think anyone who writes for sports is prepared for just how pro-worker/pro-union the Deadspin audience is. Most sports guys probably just travel in bubbles where guys who look just like them all look at each other and go, "Unions, man, am I right?" all day.

Yeah if you look at the dude's Twitter timeline he has a bunch of tweets about the Chicago Teachers Strike and he says several times "I don't support either side" or "I'm not picking sides" which isn't so much a lovely take as it is super naive and ignorant. So I would chalk up the guy's dumb decision to ignorance.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

fast cars loose anus posted:

That... ok yeah that supports the "absurdly stupid" theory. I swear I can remember reading a post on some gawker site about how they realized he was being funded when he kept the trial going for a long time beyond what they'd expect of his financial situation but I can't find it so maybe I made it up in my head.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

this is absolutely what they were trying to do with Hogan, who at the time this entire poo poo storm had started in 2012 hadn't worked for WWE for 5 years and was taking random endorsement deals because he needed the cash

That would also have been incredibly stupid. Even without Thiel, Hogan could have gotten lawyers on contingency because he had an absolute slam-dunk case. In case anyone's forgotten, Gawker defied a court order to take the sex vid down before the trial even started. The idea that vampire Thiel enacted some dark sorcery to kill Gawker is bullshit. Part 2 of Thiel's "master plan" was to pay for a frivolous libel suit by a whackjob who claimed to invent email. Zero merit, they probably would have gotten fees awarded so the idea that Thiel was gonna drown them in bullshit lawsuits doesn't really hold up.

Gawker loaded the gun, put it in their mouth, and pulled the trigger. Thiel showed up with a water pistol and screamed "I did it, it was me all along!"

But the tragically funny thing is that the old Gawker guys who committed suicide by wrestler sex tape have the same trait as the G/O Media equity assholes that killed Deadspin now. They both took success as evidence that they were so loving smart, they could treat everyone and everything else with contempt. Denton & Daulerio imagined they could get on the witness stand and just make jerk-off motions at Hogan until they won. The private equity fuckheads thought they could take a giant poo poo on both their audience and their writers, but now they have an empty shell of a website.

You don't have to be a conservative capitalist shithead to acquire rich white man syndrome (but it helps).

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

idk where you're coming from. gawker won in court multiple times and it took a sympathetic judge and jury in florida to ruin them, and hogan wouldn't have gotten the counsel that could score that without thiel.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

habeasdorkus posted:

Dude, c'mon. This guy stepped in it, and then got right. And it does suck to get piled on even if each individual person isn't saying anything terrible. He should have a beer and add "g/o media clusterfuck 2019 alumnus" to his Twitter profile.

he knew he was functionally crossing a picket line unless he just paid zero attention to his employer for the last 24 hours and is “neutral” wrt the chicago’s teacher union strike

pardon me for not showering the cypress hill alumnus/scab with praise for realizing this would piss a lot of people off after he pissed a lot of people off; i don’t think he should get blackballed or anything but if you’re a journalist and you undermine journalistic unions then you deserve to get piled on

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

This dude reverse milkshake ducked. Went from hated to lauded in no time flat.

And yeah, if I'm a freelancer this would scare me off.

So you're saying he ducked the milkshake.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Declan MacManus posted:

he knew he was functionally crossing a picket line unless he just paid zero attention to his employer for the last 24 hours and is “neutral” wrt the chicago’s teacher union strike

pardon me for not showering the cypress hill alumnus/scab with praise for realizing this would piss a lot of people off after he pissed a lot of people off; i don’t think he should get blackballed or anything but if you’re a journalist and you undermine journalistic unions then you deserve to get piled on

How is it a picket line when everyone has quit? He's not doing any further harm to the people who have left, if anything he's putting them over by penning such a terrible first post.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

:thurman:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Declan MacManus posted:

tbf what i think he's getting at is that he didn't understand solidarity until he got dragged by a picket line, and he realized that there is power in a union.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The clownshow continues

https://twitter.com/laurawags/status/1190382285826211840

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

an actual dog posted:

idk where you're coming from. gawker won in court multiple times and it took a sympathetic judge and jury in florida to ruin them, and hogan wouldn't have gotten the counsel that could score that without thiel.

Yep. It literally took getting rid of any claims that Gawker could use to remove the case to federal court so that the massive appeal bond would be required before the lawsuit could kill Gawker... because Gawker was RIGHT ON THE GODDAMNED MERITS. They did some dumb poo poo in their lawsuit, and Dauliero is a loving rear end in a top hat and a loving idiot, but Jesus.

DeimosRising posted:

tbf what i think he's getting at is that he didn't understand solidarity until he got dragged by a picket line, and he realized that there is power in a union.

Also, he took a phone call from a freelancer union guy, sounds like, so he might become a union guy! And apparently he came down in support of the CTU in the end. I'm saying oblivous instead of malicious. And since so often people dig in instead of saying "oh, yeah, my bad" I'm glad this guy made the right choice.

Also, apparently this has likely had an effect on the ability of Deadspin to get freelancers because:

https://twitter.com/MadBastardsAll/status/1190381458470395904

Holy poo poo loving Maidmont is an evil rear end in a top hat.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

God I hope these fuckers lose every penny they invested.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The LOLs continue

https://twitter.com/Travis_Waldron/status/1190399738128064514

https://twitter.com/BobSaietta/status/1190423741626486784

FMguru fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 2, 2019

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/benmullin/status/1190444585752903680?s=21

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don't have WSJ so can't read the article but evidently it says Great Hill Partners paid $27.5 mil for the Gizmodo sites and they were losing $10m a year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Aw this poor guy is so earnest

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I don't have WSJ so can't read the article but evidently it says Great Hill Partners paid $27.5 mil for the Gizmodo sites and they were losing $10m a year

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

goddamn that is a lovely outcome I never could have imagined

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thank you!

Goddamn Univision took a bath on that one

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Univision mortally wounded the Onion, and it makes me so mad.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lol he thinks the post didn't suck

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

laughing at the time burneko burned a book deal because he couldn't resist roasting some wack youtube family and the father was best buds with of all people his book agent, that's some charlie brown poo poo.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

R.D. Mangles posted:

laughing at the time burneko burned a book deal because he couldn't resist roasting some wack youtube family and the father was best buds with of all people his book agent, that's some charlie brown poo poo.

That was hilarious.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

AndrewP posted:

Thank you!

Goddamn Univision took a bath on that one

Yeah. I remember not that long ago when Univision was looking like it was going to be the next big thing in media, and I didn't have a clue anything was wrong until one of the Gizmodo Group sites posted an article on how hosed Univision was. They were doing well and then decided to spend a fuckton of money to grow through acquisitions, because after all, you got to spend money to make money! :hurr:

I'm shocked that the sites are losing $10m a year what with all the obnoxious ads they have now. Sponsored content articles, the same one repeating over and over again, their stupid Amazon deals. Jesus, what does it take for a loving website to make money these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm already missing the Jambaroo and I think I'll go into immediate withdrawal without the funbag.