Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Good lord the guardian sucks

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1190547820677357568?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NLJP posted:

I am also a lurker and want to hank you regulars for the thread, I've been in hospital since early September and keep dipping into this hot bullshit and it is a good? distraction.

I should check out the podcast. Anyway, here we here we fuckin go, let's get the reds in finally

I'm sorry you've been in hospital so long, bud :( Hope things are getting somewhere.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The guardian sucks part 2

https://twitter.com/MarinaHyde/status/1190550514875928577?s=19

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

NLJP posted:

I am also a lurker and want to hank you regulars for the thread, I've been in hospital since early September and keep dipping into this hot bullshit and it is a good? distraction.

I should check out the podcast. Anyway, here we here we fuckin go, let's get the reds in finally
welcome, lurker! please do post if you feel up to it. wishing you swift recoveries ♥

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1190345803623260161?s=19

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Robot Mil posted:

I’m in Canada so pretty useless for this election,

feedmegin posted:

If you emigrated there from the UK less than 15 years ago you are entitled to a vote in your old constituency.

Definitely. I live in the US after passing through a couple of other places but make sure I get my vote in. One of the things which make it awkward is that postal votes can take ages to get out (and can be to late). Since you have a sister in London though you can appoint her as your proxy and she can vote on your behalf.

The application is quick, easy, and electronic these days:
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
November ?? - probably week of Nov 11 - Clause V meeting, expect leaks. A likely path:

quote:

[Andrew Murray] has some reservations, however, about some of the radical policies bubbling up from Labour’s grassroots. Plans passed at the party’s conference last month included “integrating” public schools into the state system (under the slogan #AbolishEton), and implementing eye-wateringly ambitious carbon reduction targets.

Murray sees little need for policy to “rush far ahead” of the 2017 manifesto.

Even once passed by the party’s conference, policy motions are only included in the manifesto if agreed at a “clause V” meeting, which includes members of the national executive committee, the shadow cabinet and representatives of the trade unions.

“I think the 2017 manifesto – which I had no direct part in writing – was extremely well-judged and successful. And I’d imagine when the clause V meeting convenes, that politicians and others there would want to look at good reasons why you would be doing something very different,” he said.

At Labour’s annual conference – which Murray missed, because he was recovering from heart surgery – the chat in the bars and cafes was about who could replace Corbyn if, as even some of his staunchest supporters fear, Labour loses another general election.

(Murray is Unite's chief of staff and Labour SpAD)

November 18 is still the estimated final manifesto week I think?

Nov 19 is the ITV Corbyn/Johnson debate

Dec 3/4 is NATO summit

Dec 12 is election

ThisBunkCannotSwim
Sep 17, 2010

Get in the bin.

Long term lurker/irregular poster throwing in I guess, despite my weird anxieties, because transphobes suck poop.

Got all hyped up on election endorphins Wednesday night, signed up for Momentum (thought I had when I join Labour in '15, but apparently not), join a few groups, lined up some leafleting... and have since spent the last couple of days curled up in bed with a hedious cold. So I guess I'll start manning the barricades on Monday? *Mournful nose-blowing sounds*

Also, sorry I don't have PMs - Rarity, you mentioned something the other day I think about doing admin for Labour in Bristol? Would you be able to point me in the right direction for that? I'm no computer toucher, but I can generally file poo poo and punch numbers into a machine without too many things bursting into flames, and if there's one resource I have in abundance, it's time.

Let's croak us some Tories.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

NLJP posted:

That's rough, but I hope whatever has you there is soon fixed, or at least handled well enough that you can get out of there!

njsykora posted:

Its 9am and I'm laid on my sofa after work eating custard creams. That's my Saturday morning.

Living the dream with some of the best biccies!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1190557792207360000?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If only there were some technology that existed to stop people staying in car parks all day without charging them for it, and if only the technology had an option to let people stay longer if they check in somewhere.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

A ban they would reverse 10 seconds after winning presumably.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I presume they mean 1/3 of the EFTA organisation in Brussels., Because whilst EFTA is the name of the agreement a bunch of technically non-EU countries are in to basically get EU benefits, there's also the administrative bodies that ensure the agreement is being followed.

If I'm right, that's dope OP!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure fracking is "a revolutionary source of cleaner energy"

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Got lurg. Gonna sit in all day posting. Apologies in advance.

TwoShanks
Feb 27, 2007

Robots of the world unite

Borrovan posted:

If you're closer to Swansea than you are to Cardiff or Wrexham though please hmu,

I'm about 10 miles from Wrexham unfortunately

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Some ScotLab is bad.

https://twitter.com/jcullinane86/status/1190242691138957314?s=19

This isn't. Great to see a Labour council actually following through on making things better for the folks at the bottom.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure fracking is "a revolutionary source of cleaner energy"

Sure it is, in the same way that a bullet to the head cures migraines.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
e: Wow no idea how I managed a double post that bad

Rarity fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 2, 2019

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Yet another lurker posting to say you're all wonderful people and the UKMT Podcast is amazing. The episode on Benefits was such an eye opener on how truly poo poo its become. Super pumped for the election and finally ousting the Tories.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

NLJP posted:

Struggling to find the exit? There is usually signs

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I wonder if there's any home nations where this is already in effect & works perfectly well :thunk:

TwoShanks posted:

I'm about 10 miles from Wrexham unfortunately
I don'y know anyone up there but they're very active and do lots of good work, I'm sure you'll get on fine :)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1190547600409288706?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How the gently caress do people keep falling for goddamn bobby sands PHD.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ms Adequate posted:

Quoted in three consecutive posts, I must be on fire tonight :eyepop:

That's also considered a warning sign that you may be Pissflaps. I'm watching you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Feinne posted:

I'm pretty sure this thread has most posters than the LGB Alliance has actual human members so this rule checks out.

I'm not sure this is the place to say that LGBs aren't human and are also trans exclusionary, but you do you.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

The text visible in the Tweet is absolutely correct that the elites should be hearing alarm bells when a populist message resonates with the people so much that even the party of the elites, led by a man who typifies the elite, are joining Farage in aping the message.

I assume that's what the article argues.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Another lurker - I think I posted once in a previous thread - but it's been long enough since I lurked the UK itself that I can't vote this time. Also this thread goes quickly and posts are hours & pages old by the time I see them.

God I hope things go well though for you guys though, our last big election was a disaster so I could do with something to be optimistic about. (And also, you know, all the actual benefits apart from avoiding Brexit)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

NLJP posted:

Anyway, here we here we fuckin go, let's get the reds in finally

Your nurses sound awfully informal

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1190557602868080640

lol

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

How the gently caress do people keep falling for goddamn bobby sands PHD.

Because Jogon Maugham is a dipshit.

That said, describing Bobby Sands PhD's output as "fake news" is moronic, even for Maugham.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure this is the place to say that LGBs aren't human and are also trans exclusionary, but you do you.
The LGB Alliance is a meeting of about a dozen people who meet in secret because whenever they say "we should kick the T out of LGBT, tru gay lesbians reject trans genitails" then people call them transphobes, which is so unfair.

So I can believe that the UKMT has more posters than they have members that aren't sockpuppets.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

reminder that this is the guardian writer who got dawn foster sacked for lightly mocking him for falling for robert zands phd

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol with how disastrous she's been in every tv interview this would be great

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/1190551620007927811

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

At the risk of sounding dense, it's their enything concrete, I - a British citizen living abroad in Sweden - can do to help Labour?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol england are bottling the rugby

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Samovar posted:

At the risk of sounding dense, it's their enything concrete, I - a British citizen living abroad in Sweden - can do to help Labour?

Donate if you can spare it. Vote if you're still eligible.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I've never really talked politics with my in-laws (tories have been in power since before I got married) but this election seems to be bringing out their secret Tory alignment :sigh:

They only seem to be able to communicate political messages in sharing loving terrible Facebook memes (lit: a picture of Corbyn, "electing him is like trusting Gary loving Glitter with your kids") to the family group chat and chuckling amongst themselves. I have no idea how to engage with that without upsetting my entirely apolitical wife who doesn't really get why it's important and doesn't want it explained to her.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jose posted:

lol with how disastrous she's been in every tv interview this would be great

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/1190551620007927811

Voters deserve better than the two tired old parties, says the leader of the second oldest party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I had a read through his thread and I'm still none the wiser as to why free hospital parking is a subsidy to the rich, other than that poorer people are less likely to own a car

is there a cut-rate parking scheme for low-income people?

do poor people not get ill?

do their families not visit them?