Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

I think we should have means tested car parking fees at hospitals to address the issue Peter Walker has raised.

Or would that be a silly waste of time and money, much like Peter Walker?

Edit: We should charge those who can afford it 17 pennies to park so that they will not do so frivolously.

Braggart fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

The guardian sucks part 2

:thunk:
https://twitter.com/ByDogHasDohDoze/status/1190572315114967040

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

History Comes Inside! posted:

I've never really talked politics with my in-laws (tories have been in power since before I got married) but this election seems to be bringing out their secret Tory alignment :sigh:

They only seem to be able to communicate political messages in sharing loving terrible Facebook memes (lit: a picture of Corbyn, "electing him is like trusting Gary loving Glitter with your kids") to the family group chat and chuckling amongst themselves. I have no idea how to engage with that without upsetting my entirely apolitical wife who doesn't really get why it's important and doesn't want it explained to her.

does she care about climate change?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

I've never really talked politics with my in-laws (tories have been in power since before I got married) but this election seems to be bringing out their secret Tory alignment :sigh:

They only seem to be able to communicate political messages in sharing loving terrible Facebook memes (lit: a picture of Corbyn, "electing him is like trusting Gary loving Glitter with your kids") to the family group chat and chuckling amongst themselves. I have no idea how to engage with that without upsetting my entirely apolitical wife who doesn't really get why it's important and doesn't want it explained to her.

Eh, your in-laws are your in-laws - how much value there is in trying to sway them is up to you.
For your wife, I'd probably just point out all the things that the Government has direct influence in that she has to interact with throughout her life.

The victim of a crime? Much less likely it'll be investigated, even less likely it'll be solved.
Need healthcare? We welcome in our US overlords to jack the price of everything up so that you need to now pay for health insurance.
Want to access university or other adult learning? £9k per year for university, or spin the roulette wheel on finding an adult learning institution that won't be wound up before you finish what you've paid for.
Need public transport? Rail fares still basically the highest in Europe, and overall quality incredibly poor. Buses all but extinct outside of large towns/cities.
Have kids who need to go to school? Have more academies, run or overseen by luminaries like Toby 'Unqualified for literally every job ever' Young where what children are taught is determined by the ideology of whatever corporation is 'sponsoring' the school, and where they'll exclude your child for entirely spurious reasons if there's a chance they'll make their league table position worse.

Have to buy groceries? Brexit will see the cost of most foods increase dramatically. Anything we get from the USA will be pumped full of more drugs than George Osborne, yet of such low quality there's a chance you'll get e-coli from a cabbage that a farmer in Iowa watered by emptying out his septic tank.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

funakupo posted:

The podcast is excellent. I have shared it with a fair bit of colleagues. I think 1/3 of EFTA here in Brussels have listened to an episode at this point. Please continue the fine work.

:popeye:

Thank you for sharing it and for enjoying it!

Frozen_flame posted:

Yet another lurker posting to say you're all wonderful people and the UKMT Podcast is amazing. The episode on Benefits was such an eye opener on how truly poo poo its become. Super pumped for the election and finally ousting the Tories.

We hope that the upcoming few episodes are also well received and that they might go some way to highlighting the poo poo state of things under the tories.

Also, for anyone who thinks just one podcast isn’t enough, we’ve got a Video Game Industry special coming out tonight too! Ms Adequate, brace yourself, because you’re getting another Rarity ep.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XMNN posted:

I had a read through his thread and I'm still none the wiser as to why free hospital parking is a subsidy to the rich, other than that poorer people are less likely to own a car

is there a cut-rate parking scheme for low-income people?

do poor people not get ill?

do their families not visit them?

Probably some dumb poo poo about "well unless you means test it rich people will use it too and therefore nobody should get it" written with the intent, of course, of denying it to poor people.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
What's this guy's plan to stop hospital parking being a "subsidy on the rich"? An elaborate means-testing office attached to every hospital parking lot determining whether you're poor enough to get free parking?

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure this is the place to say that LGBs aren't human and are also trans exclusionary, but you do you.

I can see how their post would be confusing if you haven't been following twitter drama, but "the LGB Alliance" they refer to is a specific organisation that sprung up the other week with a twitter account and glowing articles in the press. it's a tiny organisation whose entire purpose is bashing trans people and represents the actual population of lesbians, gays and bisexuals about as much as The Taxpayer's Alliance represents all people who have ever paid a tax. probably worse

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Collateral posted:

A ban they would reverse 10 seconds after winning presumably.

But if we win we can argue that even the Tories understand that fracking is not worth the problems it causes, so we should go further.

:getin:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Angepain posted:

I can see how their post would be confusing if you haven't been following twitter drama, but "the LGB Alliance" they refer to is a specific organisation that sprung up the other week with a twitter account and glowing articles in the press. it's a tiny organisation whose entire purpose is bashing trans people and represents the actual population of lesbians, gays and bisexuals about as much as The Taxpayer's Alliance represents all people who have ever paid a tax. probably worse

one of its founding members is the guy who did the extremely dodgy study stopping gay people from adopting or something similarly heinous

and if you need conclusive proof they're poo poo then here is a spectator article defending them

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/in-defence-of-the-lgb-alliance/

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

So this will get buried in “England loses at the World Cup final” news. A brilliant strategic move by the Tories there.

Makes it easier for them to forget it later

Eararaldor fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 2, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure fracking is "a revolutionary source of cleaner energy"

Digging around in the gutter for dog ends is a revolutionary source of cheaper cigarettes

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1190559207482961920

ok I just tried watching his video about parking generally (his voice is very annoying) and the conclusion seems to be that land in central London is expensive and parking spaces are using that up so they should be more expensive than they are and the fact they're relatively cheap is a subsidy to people who drive a car in central London (and also that cars are bad for the environment, which is obv fair enough)

and the argument in the piece pretty much is that poorer people are less likely to have a car, which is fair enough, but unfortunately buses etc are also hosed so just going "everyone should walk/bus to the hospital every time" is a bit of a pie in the sky idea

also if there's not some subsidy scheme I'm unaware of, it's basically a regressive tax and it just means rich people are more likely to be able to park at the hospital because other people can't afford to, which doesn't seem like a particularly worthy end

also

https://mobile.twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1190558186769702912

if only there was some way of monitoring how long a car was in a car park for without also charging them. like maybe some sort of camera that reads the number plates? and a computer that remembers when they came and went? might be a bit impractical though

also he keeps complaining about staff parking being caught up in the free for all, which is fair enough as there's literally no way to make sure only staff can park in a certain area of the car park or a "staff car park", if you will

in conclusion: I don't think this guy is right and his weird whispery voice is creeping me out

XMNN fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 2, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Proposed labour slogan: Britain is already great!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

I had a read through his thread and I'm still none the wiser as to why free hospital parking is a subsidy to the rich, other than that poorer people are less likely to own a car

is there a cut-rate parking scheme for low-income people?

do poor people not get ill?

do their families not visit them?

The answer is Liberalism, OP.

"Yes, it's horrible that you have to pay to park at a hospital when there's no viable other way of getting there so it's effectively a service charge. Of course, in an ideal world it would be free. But we've got to be realistic - the NHS is short of money so we've got to make Tough Decisions [which won't really affect me]. You can't just make the car park free because that's not sensible... Ideology... Venezuela...THE BINS, JEREMY, THE BINS!!"

The technocratic solution if you're a liberal who thinks they're left wing is to means-test access to the car park, so if you're actually A Poor it's free (or, more likely, you can claim back the cost via a tortuous and inaccessible process) but if you're A Rich you have to pay even more than the current charge (to make up the lost revenue from the free parking, see). All of this admin will, of course, cost the NHS much, much more than any revenue from the car parks or, most likely, the cost of just making the drat thing free to everyone.

But in their warped view of leftism, if you can pay for the car park you should, so if Marxist Jeremy Corbyn just gets rid of the charges then rich people are effectively being paid to park at hospitals because they're saving the £5 they would otherwise have spent.

Liberals don't really get universality...amongst many other things.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/matthirtyfive/status/1190581500254859264

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Really enjoying the rugby.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Really enjoying the rugby.

lol its a massacre

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
A leak:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1190575174128689152

this will also give a likely flavour of the CON strategy at the leader debates, unless some novel incident happens between now and then

1. I wonder whether Great New Deal is a deliberate choice to undermine the many poonds already spent in messaging on a Green New Deal... itself an American slogan import, really, and can't be shifted easily

2. UC: note that Labour is not contesting the concept of a single benefit with a high rate of withdrawal, but is instead hoping to 1) iron out the rough edges, like the first payment delay 2) rename it. Hence the sneaky non-answer that implies that Labour does contest the concept.

3. You can taste the May-retropsective focus grouping - money for schools, more officers on streets (20,000 because Abbott proposes 10,000... my number is bigger politics) and hospitals for the NHS. No mention of the seven day NHS, academies, or other relatively tired CON concepts. CON is betting that LAB will not be able to credibly attack CON for blowing the budget despite CON blowing the budget, and cannot credibly argue that CON is spinning existing plans as new (despite CON &c) because LAB is pitching on radical change on a non-radical manifesto, and getting mired in the weeds of exactly how many hospitals one intends to build is the opposite of that

4. no mention of housing or childcare... someone here was working off a voter priority poll list and not a 2017 manifesto list

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

BalloonFish posted:

But in their warped view of leftism, if you can pay for the car park you should

More like 'if you can pay for the car park, you take an Uber'

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I'm just chortling at all the braying poshos who got up early to watch it

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Angepain posted:

What's this guy's plan to stop hospital parking being a "subsidy on the rich"? An elaborate means-testing office attached to every hospital parking lot determining whether you're poor enough to get free parking?

No, that's my plan. See the top of this page ;)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

There's 2 big hospitals near me, & I've done a lot of runs to both lately as a disabled friend hasn't been well.

One of them has a bloke by the entrance who'll ask whether you're there to use the hospital (if he's there, half the time he isn't). Sometimes he'll even ask to see an appointment letter, but is always pretty chill if you just explain that you're helping a friend out & dropped them by the entrance. Never seen it more than half full.

The other has like a much bigger indoor structure type thing. Might have a camera, idk, never noticed anything checking up on me. Never seen it even close to half full.

But, the danger remains that a poor person might one day get free parking, so it is important to ensure that only rich people can access hospitals to avert this unacceptable possibility.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the NHS lines fall flat because pretty much the entire country have had to use the NHS within the last few years and can see its hosed

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

hosed up that corbyn single handedly forced england to lose the rugby world cup

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Also, for anyone who thinks just one podcast isn’t enough, we’ve got a Video Game Industry special coming out tonight too! Ms Adequate, brace yourself, because you’re getting another Rarity ep.

Nice! I work in the industry so will look forward to that making its appearance on YouTube.

Did you conclude it is going to be shafted by Brexit

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

pretty hosed up that he hasn't apologised for it yet as well, very telling...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ItohRespectArmy posted:

bold strategy to win back scotland though

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

+++ HUMILIATION FOR LOSER ENGLAND
:vuvu:
(maybe I shouldn't go door knocking now)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
whether or not the local hospital charges fees on its damned car-parks or even just reserves it all, every single one, for staff, or steamrollers the whole thing for a dining area or a creche or a 12ft statue of William Beveridge, seems like an ideal question to devolve to the local trusts

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ronya posted:

whether or not the local hospital charges fees on its damned car-parks or even just reserves it all, every single one, for staff, or steamrollers the whole thing for a dining area or a creche or a 12ft statue of William Beveridge, seems like an ideal question to devolve to the local trusts

LOL no

That's a very Tory solution

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 2, 2019

malk83
Sep 3, 2008

Another lurker poking my head up. Came to this thread looking for answers after the Conservatives decided that 52% Leave on an advisory referendum constituted a mandate to gently caress our country, and have been quietly reading and radicalising ever since!

Spent 20 minutes trying to find a space at the Royal Surrey hospital on Thursday, which apparently has the highest parking costs in the UK, so I'm not convinced that making it free could make things worse.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
It seems like if parking is such a critical issue maybe they should look into providing alternative low cost ways to get to the hospital.

Some kind of... publicly owned... transportation...

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
https://twitter.com/LindsayHoyle_MP/status/1190579707928027137?s=19

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Like, I definitely agree that public transport to hospitals should be a big priority (along with public transport everywhere), but it is in fact possible to care about two things at once (e: this was a response to the guy's article where he says that, not Lightning Knight)

ronya posted:

A leak:

I love "Q. Donations from X?". They don't even have a specific person in mind, they just know that someone's donations are going to be ethically questionable, probably many people

Angepain fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 2, 2019

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

LOL no

That's a very Tory solution
Wait I thought that was :thejoke:

Also I don't see the problem with a debate between the leaders of the 3 main parties but why tf is Swinson calling Ian Blackford a "girly swot"

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Other way around, everyone in English marginals is going to be in a poo poo mood because they lost and thus unreceptive to our heroic Super Saturday canvassers, losing us the election :(

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Angepain posted:

Just need to make a big database that associates all license plates with the household wealth of their owners, then have a camera that scans your plates to determine whether you qualify for free parking.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1190586123275382784?s=19

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure this is the place to say that LGBs aren't human and are also trans exclusionary, but you do you.

LGB Alliance are an astro-terf campaign, their supporters are mostly homophobic far right assholes pretending they only hate trans people.

Also hi another mostly lurker here, from Finland. Hope Labour gets a majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

Voters deserve better than the two tired old parties, says the leader of the second oldest party

A lot of people with pretty yellow diamonds in their screen names assure me the Liberal Democrats sprung fully-formed into existence from Brian Cox's brow on the 8th of May 2015.