Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mr. Dick posted:

a girl with a convincing French accent saying "Qui est Monsieur Dick?"

*Monsieur Bite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
M. Petit-Jésus

Actually that might be the handle for Mr. Dick's rereg.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Yarbald posted:

Pleased record this and post it here for sampling purposes

As a matter of fact I did record it before erasing the tape, because it is full of sampleworthy flim-flam. I'm traveling until next week so I'll try to remember to upload it when I get back.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Dick posted:

Mr. Dick guesses so, but only on the condition that you have a girl with a convincing French accent saying "Qui est Monsieur Dick?" peppered throughout the track.
You're dangerously close to reinventing 90s German Eurodance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxMOJYhN4c

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mr. Dick posted:

M. Petit-Jésus

Actually that might be the handle for Mr. Dick's rereg.

:nws: for cartoon boobs and chainsaw dick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idb6piuKIug

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 29, 2019

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm submitting a demo for a 'progressive house' search, despite never really committing to a genre. Will post results early next week.

Any advice?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

So Math posted:

I'm submitting a demo for a 'progressive house' search, despite never really committing to a genre. Will post results early next week.

Any advice?

Progressive House is typically a bit faster tempo (around 128bpm) and in general the melodies and chord progressions are the focus or have more focus.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

did a cyperpunk ey jam with the korg volca and modular

https://soundcloud.com/batteries/teledildonicss

e: also a granular synth

massive spider fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 29, 2019

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

^^^ I like it a lot, man. ^^^

I gave in and bought a huge-rear end 4k monitor and it's already the best music related thing I got in years. It's a dream working with a DAW and just having plenty of space for all the different screens and panels and channels. Much nicer than forcing a DAW to do multi monitor while it doesn't really want to.

And since that unsurprisingly didn't solve the ground loop problems I've been having since I moved in January, I also gave in in a major way and fabricated some cheater plugs. I hate it, but I'm enjoying the quiet.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Flipperwaldt posted:

And since that unsurprisingly didn't solve the ground loop problems I've been having since I moved in January, I also gave in in a major way and fabricated some cheater plugs. I hate it, but I'm enjoying the quiet.

Oh god I dealt with this for three years and it was MADDENING

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
As a safer alternative to cheat plugs I'd also like to mention transformers as an option. I use a couple of 1:1 transformers hacked into the middle of a cable to cut down on ground hum, and you can find the same for sale online cheap by just searching for "ground loop isolator".

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

snorch posted:

As a safer alternative to cheat plugs I'd also like to mention transformers as an option. I use a couple of 1:1 transformers hacked into the middle of a cable to cut down on ground hum, and you can find the same for sale online cheap by just searching for "ground loop isolator".
I'd honestly love to go with isolation transformers, but I need two of these in 240v French Europlug type and the best I can find is €150-200 a piece.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been saving up for a Digitakt for what seems like forever. Found one used for $500 and I'm freaking out. It's shipping out today and I'm so loving giddy.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'd honestly love to go with isolation transformers, but I need two of these in 240v French Europlug type and the best I can find is €150-200 a piece.

These are $10:
https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Ground-Isolator-Systems-Included/dp/B01L1NP7YI

If you're handy you can modify/adapt them for whichever connector type you need.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I need a couple 5pin midi cables for my circuit.
Recommend me some nice ones please.
I like colors.

Edit: male to male 1~2' if it matters

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 30, 2019

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

snorch posted:

These are $10:
https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Ground-Isolator-Systems-Included/dp/B01L1NP7YI

If you're handy you can modify/adapt them for whichever connector type you need.
Some of the negative reviews for these type of thing mention a loss of bass. I don't want to be all audiophile about this, but I'd have to buy multiples of this one and also a similar thing to isolate a usb cable due to the hosed up way things are set up here.

I was more looking at a couple of these, to safely replicate what I've done now.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I need a couple 5pin midi cables for my circuit.
Recommend me some nice ones please.
I like colors.

Edit: male to male 1~2' if it matters

Just buy whatever, MIDI cables don't vary a ton in quality and you're not going to see any issues (or any more than you normally do, with MIDI) on that short of a run. Cheapo brands like Monoprice or Hosa will be fine. Good luck on finding colored ones, though, I've only ever seen black, grey, and red.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MockingQuantum posted:

Just buy whatever, MIDI cables don't vary a ton in quality and you're not going to see any issues (or any more than you normally do, with MIDI) on that short of a run. Cheapo brands like Monoprice or Hosa will be fine. Good luck on finding colored ones, though, I've only ever seen black, grey, and red.

I was really hoping someone would link me a rainbow. Much like the cute little patch cables you find all the time.

I wish midi ends weren't so (relatively) expensive. I'd just build my own...
Looks like I'll just have to color code the ends myself.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 30, 2019

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
5 pin din connectors are, what, 50 cents a piece at most? Cable is anything with 3 conductors.

Get your midi cables, sharpy an "I" on one end and an "O" on the other.

If you really need your cables color coded, get a pack of small assorted color zip ties and cinch one down behind the connectors.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Some of the negative reviews for these type of thing mention a loss of bass. I don't want to be all audiophile about this, but I'd have to buy multiples of this one and also a similar thing to isolate a usb cable due to the hosed up way things are set up here.

I was more looking at a couple of these, to safely replicate what I've done now.

That's definitely a good option, just bear in mind that you'd need to have everything on that one circuit to gain the full benefit.

I'm not sure if my DIY solution suffers a similar loss of bass, it probably depends on the transformers and DC blocking caps since they do act as a high-pass filter. Generally bigger would be better so I can imagine the ones I linked may be lacking, but there are beefier ones available if you search eBay.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mr. Dick posted:

5 pin din connectors are, what, 50 cents a piece at most? Cable is anything with 3 conductors.

Only if you're buying ~100+ of them. If you're just grabbing a handful they're somewhere around $3 for the cheapest flavor of connector, and honestly if I'm going to the trouble of making my own MIDI cables there's no advantage in buying cheapshit connectors.

But yeah, you can use any 3 conductor cable out there. One place I worked, we just had a couple of bins of DIN-to-XLRF and DIN-to-XLRM adapters and just used standard XLR cables as our lengths, though we had about 5k linear feet worth of XLR sitting around at any given moment so it made more sense for us than it would for most people.

Mr. Dick posted:

If you really need your cables color coded, get a pack of small assorted color zip ties and cinch one down behind the connectors.

This is what we do for CAT5 in my shop, though it's more useful for identifying cable lengths than deciphering what's going on in the back of a rack or whatever. I'd agree that if you're just trying to label what MIDI goes where, sharpie or tape labels (or p-touch if you're fancy/made of money) will serve you better than colors anyway. And if you're moving cables around on a frequent basis for some inscrutable reason, consider a MIDI patch bay. I'd much rather replaced a hosed up DIN receptacle in a patch bay than in the back of a synth.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

MockingQuantum posted:

Only if you're buying ~100+ of them. If you're just grabbing a handful they're somewhere around $3 for the cheapest flavor of connector,

Lies

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/5-pin-midi-connector-male-180c.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

oh that's actually very reasonable shipping (even though they have a $5 min order).
I was looking at like $5 min for shipping which is basically "gently caress it, why even waste my time when I can have a couple cables here from amazon by tomorrow for that price"

I've got about 500m of (xlr) mic cable lying around that I'd really prefer to put to good use, so this is actually a viable option.

e: please validate my purchase.
It was impulsive, but it was new in box and less than half of list price. I'd been holding out for one of them newfangled Behringer thingamajiggers but I couldn't figure out which one I wanted so here we are.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 30, 2019

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Cool, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Well I stand corrected!

In the interest of posting actual content too, anybody here been lucky enough to try out a Hydrasynth? I don't know what it is about it, but I might be picking one up shortly after they ship, something about the sound and look and whatever other intangibles really makes me want one.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh that's actually very reasonable shipping (even though they have a $5 min order).
I was looking at like $5 min for shipping which is basically "gently caress it, why even waste my time when I can have a couple cables here from amazon by tomorrow for that price"

I've got about 500m of (xlr) mic cable lying around that I'd really prefer to put to good use, so this is actually a viable option.

e: please validate my purchase.
It was impulsive, but it was new in box and less than half of list price. I'd been holding out for one of them newfangled Behringer thingamajiggers but I couldn't figure out which one I wanted so here we are.

The SE-02 is a great synth. I canceled my Behringer model D order when it became available. It's small but for me it's a quality since I have limited desk space. Don't let the size fool you, it sounds massive. Check the sunshine jones user manual, you are going to need it because the SE-02 has a lot of features

Have fun!

e: it's one of the only non-modular synths I did not sell (with the streichfett) and I don't see myself doing it anytime soon. It's such a versatile monosynth and it has presets so what more could you ask from it

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 30, 2019

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

so what more could you ask from it

knobs you can turn without using tweezers

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
poo poo I just realized all my instrument cable is all 2 conductor.
Looks like I'm back to buying cables.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The SE-02 is a great synth. I canceled my Behringer model D order when it became available. It's small but for me it's a quality since I have limited desk space. Don't let the size fool you, it sounds massive. Check the sunshine jones user manual, you are going to need it because the SE-02 has a lot of features

Have fun!

e: it's one of the only non-modular synths I did not sell (with the streichfett) and I don't see myself doing it anytime soon. It's such a versatile monosynth and it has presets so what more could you ask from it

That's a strong endorsement. Looking forward to my long weekend with it! Googling sunshine jones right now.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 31, 2019

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Are they 2 conductor + shielding? 'Cause that will work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mr. Dick posted:

Are they 2 conductor + shielding? 'Cause that will work.

Oh totally.
OH YEAH THAT'S RIGHT! Middle pin is just ground on midi connector. I'm totally good.

Midi is back on the menu boys!

Hell I might even just make a bunch to share.
Who would be interested in some custom length cables for the cost of materials + shipping?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have some synths I’m going to consolidate if anyone wants a cz 101 or a jd xi pm me

Really conflicted over selling the xi because I freakin love the sounds I can make with it and the auto tuner on it is sick

But I want to justify an ob 6

I also have a key step that doesn’t work over usb but does work over pedal power + midi cable if anyone wants to make an offer (60+ shipping?)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Militant Lesbian posted:

That's fair. the knobs are indeed not so good. Slippery and difficult to see the pointer. I had them all replaced with Rogan ones and it's a huge improvement

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's a strong endorsement. Looking forward to my long weekend with it! Googling sunshine jones right now.

I was phone posting and didn't make the effort of sharing the link but here is it now:
http://sunshine-jones.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/A-Users-Guide-To-The-Roland-SE-02-01D.pdf

Make sure to update the firmware for the new preset sound banks and added features! And remember the routine for auto-calibration. Super useful:
Tuning Calibration:
- Switch to Patch Mode
- Hold Transpose and push in the Value Knob. Push the Value Knob again to start calibration

and if you need more proof that you made a good purchase just listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hd-N7nIQZc

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 31, 2019

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Militant Lesbian posted:

think of it as training for when you eventually go modular

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I have some synths I’m going to consolidate if anyone wants a cz 101 or a jd xi pm me

I have some potential interest in all of these but am too cheap for PMs. Shoot me a mail at holesinsocks at gmail!

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Gringostar posted:

think of it as training for when you eventually go modular

5u and Frac have no problems with knob sizing or spacing. That's a decidedly euro problem.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

recommend me a cheap as gently caress and synth (desktop) module that I can connect my keystep to so my 1 year old can join in on this ~Synths: Boops Are For Babies~ fun.
Preferably something milk resistant or easy to wipe down.

Kinda necroing this, but found another recommendation for a synth for babies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-dLQoS5XEQ

I feel like this one would be a lot easier to use as a teaching tool once the kid gets older (than the Blipblox), although it does seem to have fewer knobs.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Kinda necroing this, but found another recommendation for a synth for babies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-dLQoS5XEQ

I feel like this one would be a lot easier to use as a teaching tool once the kid gets older (than the Blipblox), although it does seem to have fewer knobs.

I think Google was listening and YouTube gave me a notification for that a while back.
$300 is kind of a tough sell for a kids you though. I mean, I would definitely play the knobs off that thing but my daughter seems to be getting on pretty well with the Circuit anyway so :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO3orJA65-A

But yeah hella fun looking.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember I did one of these years ago where I round up a bunch of tracks that I've started but never finished, and with the year coming to a close I figured I'd do it again with tracks from the last year or so :sax:

https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/unfinished-junk

I've had this hobby for years at this point but I'm still perpetually creating and then getting stuck at 4/8 bar loops. None of these tracks are clips or excerpts of longer, more finished songs, they're all just loops that I created and could never expand on because I am completely devoid of artistic talent I never learned how to. :v: Anyone else got a mountain of unfinished junk?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I record my jams but have no intention on writing or finishing a song. Drum machines and synths are just how I unwind after work and that’s all a hobby has to be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Oops double post