Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Avalerion posted:

I'm about to confront Ruby, should I finish up other stuff first then come back later? Game implies poo poo might go down once I do.

Definitely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Avalerion posted:

I'm about to confront Ruby, should I finish up other stuff first then come back later? Game implies poo poo might go down once I do.

Yes. It is the point of no return.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

My post earlier today about how the concepts were falling into place was the moment the game became significant to me. the dream sequence in the bunker genuinely made me cry - they could have found a way to have that happen right at the end sequence before the credits roll. that would've been so loving powerful as a closer.
I chose to do that sequence *after* everything else in that place was wrapped up (didn't feel right for me to take a nap with a possible murderer still out there, so I did it just before going back,and pacing wise it felt pretty much perfect.

Avalerion posted:

Kinda. IIRC the journal tells you which quest lines will be closed once you proceed, so finish the stuff related to that. But, it's not gonna lock you out of everything else completely - there'll be one more chance to wrap other things up after; the game will try to rush you at that point, but I just ignored it until I finished what I wanted to in my playthrough.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 2, 2019

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Anyone know what the sword does?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

1d8 plus Physical Instrument bonus

Nah, it’s something that gives extra dialogue options in other places (I think someone said the Tribunal) but isn’t needed for anything

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anyone tried leaving your disco-rear end blazer at the harbor until the endgame? Does the game stop you from jumping into the harbor from Cuno's roof at that point?

Also - the revolutionary mentioned hiding one last bullet. I ran all over the island, can't seem to find it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 2, 2019

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The Onion reviewed Disco:
"Disco Elysium is the best unofficial Twin Peaks game ever made"
https://games.avclub.com/disco-elysium-is-the-best-unofficial-twin-peaks-game-ev-1839490858
tldr -
"There are an astounding number of these interactions, and they’re somehow all written with humor, wit, and an absolutely breathtaking level of respect for what you, as a player, are trying (and, sometimes, failing), to do. The real mystery here is where the hell this thing came from. For a debut title from a new studio, and a writer who’s never worked in games before, it’s an astounding achievement—maybe even a masterpiece. If it’s not my pick for the best game of 2019, something drat good is going to have to come down the line in the next two months."

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can you do the game entirely naked and are there interactions for it?

I did get to have an existential crisis where my character realized he couldn't remove his underwear which was incredible

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Beat it now. All in all pretty happy with both my ending and the game overall.

Was the shout out in front of the hotel avoidable, or resolvable with none dying?[ Wonder if I messed up by telling Joyce about Evart's plans.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Beat it now. All in all pretty happy with both my ending and the game overall.

Was the shout out in front of the hotel avoidable, or resolvable with none dying?[ Wonder if I messed up by telling Joyce about Evart's plans.

No. You can influence how many people die and who makes it, but the tribunal always ends with the mercs opening fire and killing at least some people

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

Jesus loving christ I just went back in the thread a few pages to read some spoilers and they're about how this guys ex-wife 'seems like a oval office'.

I was honestly expecting some genuine reading of the subject matter that I was missing. so loving gross.
a 12 year marriage ruined by this guy being an overly driven alcoholic detective piece of poo poo, and one rough phone call you've got nerds on the internet getting that reading out of it. thats properly horrible.

I'm in the official discord and there's a guy in there who, every evening, says something about wishing they could, irl, go and murder Harry's Wives new family because of "what she did" and I'm just slackjawed whenever I open the app in the morning to see a person so deeply miss the point of the game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm in the official discord and there's a guy in there who, every evening, says something about wishing they could, irl, go and murder Harry's Wives new family because of "what she did" and I'm just slackjawed whenever I open the app in the morning to see a person so deeply miss the point of the game.

Half-Light IRL

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

People are dumb, don’t let it get to you.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I wonder if any IRL fascists have played through DE and thought it was unironically supporting their politics? Or any unironic tankies, I suppose. On the one hand the author is dead and the nature of the medium would make it seem like the path you're taking is the one-true-path, so I could see someone missing the point that badly. On the other hand DE is a niche game in a niche genre, the creators are forthright about their politics, and the tone of the game is so nuanced, ironic, and empathetic that it seems near-impossible to take the politics you can espouse at face value. Anyone seen any other takes of people missing the point so intensely?

Anyway DE thread, whatcha reading lately? I went on a Mieville kick - I ordered The City & The City, read Embassytown first because I had it, read The City & The City when it came, and now onto re-reading Perdido St. Station (and then I suppose The Scar and The Iron Council.) They all touch on some of DE's themes - Embassytown has some of the philosophy of the mind / psychological stuff - but The City & The City is the most obvious comparison. It's a police procedural in a fiction eastern european cities-state, two cities that geographically take up the same space but whose inhabitants are trained from birth to ignore ("unsee") their foreign neighbors. It's a little less psychological than DE, which kind of makes sense given it's genre, but ambitious, politically thoughtful, and has a surprisingly light touch with it's central metaphor - worth a read. I'm also flipping through Fredric Jameson's "Raymond Chandler: The Detections of Totality" which is a work of literally criticism about why the hardboiled detective figure ends up working so goddamn perfectly as a vehicle for exploring the kind of existential and sociological themes that DE gets into. Might go into a Chandler re-read after all this, his novels do a lot of the things DE does, just a little less surreal.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress me the bear fridge absolutely destroys the framerate.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The closest thing I've ever read to disco Elysium is infinite jest.
It's about a tennis academy and drug & alcohol rehab center, a satire set in the not too distant future, but it's themes and the ideas it explores and presents are very similar in tone. No detective story, but it's about people and their struggles much like disco is.
Disco Elysium had a few funny moments that were on par with some of the funny bits from IJ, but I'd say IJ is more consistently funny.

It's one of the few things I'd like to erase all memory of having experienced so I could go in blind again.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

It's one of the few things I'd like to erase all memory of having experienced so I could go in blind again.

If only you had some sort of blueprint, some sort of prototype... an experimental cop.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

People are dumb, don’t let it get to you.

The rest of the discord is p chill and cool and it's a good place, there's always gonna be one, at this point the frequency would be funny if I wasn't vaguely concerned for any ex-girlfriends this dude may have.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Anyway DE thread, whatcha reading lately? I went on a Mieville kick - I ordered The City & The City, read Embassytown first because I had it, read The City & The City when it came, and now onto re-reading Perdido St. Station (and then I suppose The Scar and The Iron Council.) They all touch on some of DE's themes - Embassytown has some of the philosophy of the mind / psychological stuff - but The City & The City is the most obvious comparison. It's a police procedural in a fiction eastern european cities-state, two cities that geographically take up the same space but whose inhabitants are trained from birth to ignore ("unsee") their foreign neighbors. It's a little less psychological than DE, which kind of makes sense given it's genre, but ambitious, politically thoughtful, and has a surprisingly light touch with it's central metaphor - worth a read. I'm also flipping through Fredric Jameson's "Raymond Chandler: The Detections of Totality" which is a work of literally criticism about why the hardboiled detective figure ends up working so goddamn perfectly as a vehicle for exploring the kind of existential and sociological themes that DE gets into. Might go into a Chandler re-read after all this, his novels do a lot of the things DE does, just a little less surreal.

I bounced hard off of Mieville when I first went in but I gotta give City a try I think. It's been brought up a few times as a comparison. Right now I'm getting through the Dreamblood duology which isn't really anything like disco but is very good

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Unpopular take: this game is kind of a slog. It was crime to release it without modding tools or console commands. Just moving around the map is a drag: slow movement even with constant annoying double-clicks, no interactable map you can use to move like in the old IE games, etc.

The writing is a little purple, but the world is engaging enough that I'll dutifully slog on to see what happens. But it's incredible that I'm playing a game with more quality-of-life issues than PS:T, which came out 20 years ago.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Anyway DE thread, whatcha reading lately? I went on a Mieville kick - I ordered The City & The City, read Embassytown first because I had it, read The City & The City when it came, and now onto re-reading Perdido St. Station (and then I suppose The Scar and The Iron Council.)

I'm only on Day3, but DE reminds me a lot of the Iron Council, which I love.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Digital Osmosis posted:

I've read all of Chandler's novels and that sounds like something I might be interested in reading. :cheers:

City is also on my to-read list.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Unpopular take: this game is kind of a slog. It was crime to release it without modding tools or console commands. Just moving around the map is a drag: slow movement even with constant annoying double-clicks, no interactable map you can use to move like in the old IE games, etc.

Absolutely, this needs fast travel or at least three times faster run speed on by default.

The boat ride later on also annoyed me because of how long it was for a nothing happens cutscene.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 2, 2019

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

The writing is a little purple, but the world is engaging enough that I'll dutifully slog on to see what happens. But it's incredible that I'm playing a game with more quality-of-life issues than PS:T, which came out 20 years ago.

Funnily enough i was ready to go into the game expecting it to be kind of a slog, and came out instead being extremely surprised at how good the pacing actually was. I may have got lucky and stringed together the quests in a way that told the story in a pretty well paced and satisfying way.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

unlock "teleportation" on the map after you gain access to the Feld Building imho

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Avalerion posted:

Absolutely, this needs fast travel or at least three times faster run speed on by default.

The boat ride later on also annoyed me because of how long it was for a nothing happens cutscene.

Someone didn't listen to Sad FM

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

cubicle gangster posted:

The closest thing I've ever read to disco Elysium is infinite jest.
It's about a tennis academy and drug & alcohol rehab center, a satire set in the not too distant future, but it's themes and the ideas it explores and presents are very similar in tone. No detective story, but it's about people and their struggles much like disco is.
Disco Elysium had a few funny moments that were on par with some of the funny bits from IJ, but I'd say IJ is more consistently funny.

Not the first time I've heard that. I got maybe 200 pages in a couple a years ago and recently found a brand-new copy in a book giveaway thing on a stoop near me and picked it up. I've considered giving it another shot and might try it again. There certainly are elements - the endnotes working to shatter your psyche, the addiction stuff, the alternate history - that I see as being DE-ish.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I bounced hard off of Mieville when I first went in but I gotta give City a try I think. It's been brought up a few times as a comparison. Right now I'm getting through the Dreamblood duology which isn't really anything like disco but is very good

Mieville is both a pretty great writer and a frequently annoying one, I get it. The City & The City is an easy, propulsive read though - I bet it's a perfect place to start. Also I read Dreamblood this winter and loved it - by the second book Jemisin is basically at her full power as a writer and there's stuff in it that rivals The Broken Earth. The first book is very drat good too, but the second is somehow a substantial step up. But yeah, the only thing it and DE have in common is being set in an influential city-state and having shockingly coherent fantasy-politics.

I think you're mostly right. I didn't find the writing is purple at all and I don't care all that much about modding - not sure what there is to mod, as compared to more traditional isometric games, but it is a little slow and annoying running around. One thought you can internalize lets you zoom out more and it bothered me that a) that was locked behind specific game decisions and b) that I was using it so often. To play devil's advocate though: the map is pretty small, extraordinarily small if you compare it to other isometric cRPGs. I suppose therefore the idea of having no form of "fast travel" was to make you appreciate the art direction, which is phenomenal. On the other hand, they put that "space-bar stops movement" thing in which means you wouldn't miss any of the perception orbs even if you were auto-running across the map, and there are some corners of the map (Joyce's dock near Cindy the Skull or Evert's office) that are just a pain in the rear end to get back and forth to. I did a fair bit of checking in with those two between moments of the investigation and there's a shocking amount of responsive new dialog that I wouldn't be surprised if many people didn't bother to see because of the slog in getting to those characters.

Side question - is there ever any reason to walk in this game? A couple of times, like in the church one of my skills (Inland Empire?) told me to walk, and I did, but I'd be surprised if it affected anything. Has anyone messed with an all-walking build, or ran in the places it suggested walking in?

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 2, 2019

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Digital Osmosis posted:

Not the first time I've heard that. I got maybe 200 pages in a couple a years ago and recently found a brand-new copy in a book giveaway thing on a stoop near me and picked it up. I've considered giving it another shot and might try it again. There certainly are elements - the endnotes working to shatter your psyche, the addiction stuff, the alternate history - that I see as being DE-ish.

The run from page 200-300 is probably the biggest hurdle to get over, took me a couple tries to get past that. It is absolutley worth it though, the back half is a wild ride. Gets a little more DE as it goes on too.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Digital Osmosis posted:

Side question - is there ever any reason to walk in this game? A couple of times, like in the church one of my skills (Inland Empire?) told me to walk, and I did, but I'd be surprised if it affected anything. Has anyone messed with an all-walking build, or ran in the places it suggested walking in?

I got that same thought bubble but ran anyway (because screw glowing lungs lady) and nothing happened.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Doing a second playthrough, is there any upside to not pawning Kim’s Rims?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You'll feel better about yourself / Harry?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Why is Ruby so afraid of you? Titus mentions something beyond your reputation as a human can opener, but I never really found out what he meant.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Dias posted:

Someone didn't listen to Sad FM
I loved both Cuno and the Deserter chewing me out later for being the kind of idiot who enter's a murderer's hideout with boombox on full blast, announcing his presence to any living soul within miles' worth of radius.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hipster Occultist posted:

Why is Ruby so afraid of you? Titus mentions something beyond your reputation as a human can opener, but I never really found out what he meant.

She thinks you're in the pocket of a notorious drug lord she used to work for, and that you're here to get her for him. She's loving terrified of being 'made an example'. She's also wrong about this about Harry, most likely, but she's got good reason to be looking over her shoulder.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Digital Osmosis posted:

The closest author I can think of would be Warren Ellis. Transmetropolitan is great, Crooked Little Vein and Gun Machine are alright.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Night10194 posted:

She thinks you're in the pocket of a notorious drug lord she used to work for, and that you're here to get her for him. She's loving terrified of being 'made an example'. She's also wrong about this about Harry, most likely, but she's got good reason to be looking over her shoulder.

I sort of have a theory that Evart is behind this legend of you as being a terrible corrupt shitbag with a crew of fixers behind you that Titus mentions and Rudy buys into it just kinda feels like something he'd do, esp when you figure out the file he has on you is bunk.

Re: game is a slog, I honestly spent a lot of time waiting for The Slog to sink in, I'm p bad at letting these sorts of games grab my attention and almost always get bored of them super quick. It wasn't til literally my last day I started zoning out during travel (for the most part, the docks are p bad). That said, an auto run toggle seems like an obvious oversight. I don't think fast travel would work, the distances are usually so small you'd practical be there by the time you've navigated the windows and loaded the area, and you'd miss a ton of thought bubble stuff. Maybe a fast travel point at the docks, at the whirling and at the fishing village? Even then tho, eh.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hipster Occultist posted:

Harry has a reputation of being an incredibly good detective. Always asking tons of questions and not giving up until he gets answers, thus the Human Can Opener. Which is a great way of fictionally justifying the standard RPG dialog tree, of course players are gonna keep asking questions, that's what you DO in these games.

So Ruby is terrified that you're gonna come in and just crack this case wide open. See through the fake hanging, get one or more of the Hardie Boys to talk, etc. Basically, all her cover-up work was not only futile, but makes her look MORE guilty. She wanted to just wait for the murder case to blow over, but with you on the case? There's no way, she had to be ready for a confrontation.

And she's totally correct, but she sees the whole thing as inherently antagonistic. You are hunting her, trying to bring HER down, a game of cat and mouse. But she's not your TARGET, she's just another link in the chain on the way to figuring out the truth.

I was glad I failed the check to destroy her super radio death beam, despite having like an 80% chance. She got away, after giving the info I needed, which seemed like the best outcome.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Put together a guide to armor and clothing and where to find them:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1904731911

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

blah double post

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 2, 2019

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Fangz posted:

Re the killer, I think the killer makes most sense narratively if you view a mildly communist or moralist run as the canonical run. I think thematically he makes sense at least, though obviously he breaks the rules of crime fiction. I suspect that before the title change, he was more important.

I don't think it had anything to do with the title change. The original title refers to Harry's thoughts and the different skills talking with each other and it was changed since to a more market friendly one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Megazver posted:

The closest author I can think of would be Warren Ellis. Transmetropolitan is great, Crooked Little Vein and Gun Machine are alright.

It’s a more lighthearted series but I recommend the Guards Guards! Sam Vimes books by Terry Pratchett (rip).

He’s an alcoholic Shivers cop in a bizarre fantasy world. Night Watch also features him reinventing himself and his identity while trying to protect a brief anarchocommunist uprising. He eventually gets sober, and Pratchett does an excellent job switching between comedy and drama just like Disco does.