Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Minorkos posted:

I'm looking at some Overwatch 2 PvP gameplay and it appears to just be Overwatch?

yeah it's identical between the two games. they even play together, in the same matches. the PvE is really the new OW2 content, all PvP is identical across both games including new heroes and maps and modes being added to both, as things keep moving forward

if people aren't interested in PvE you can keep playing OW1 and you still get all the benefits of OW2, just not the PvE mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they can't make a new pvp game with owl still running. they'd be sabotaging their own pro league if ow2 had an updated, separate pvp experience

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 1, 2019

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I guess that makes more sense than separating the game but honestly, why did they even call it Overwatch 2 instead of just Overwatch: Total Recall or whatever

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Minorkos posted:

I guess that makes more sense than separating the game but honestly, why did they even call it Overwatch 2 instead of just Overwatch: Total Recall or whatever

This is what I've been saying elsewhere too. Marketing glorified expansion pack/DLC content as a sequel seems weird.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Minorkos posted:

$60

Especially to the new consoles.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they're marketing basic add-ons as a sequel for more money lol.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

teagone posted:

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they're marketing basic add-ons as a sequel for more money lol.

also going to guess Activision wants More Sequels and this is their way of doing that without making people abandon an older game

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

It is absolutely insane to me that blizzard released this game with so much emphasis on the story and lore and proceeded to sit on their hands doing side content and backstory exposition for over three full loving years.

Winston tried to get the gang back together three and a half years ago and they’re not only just getting around to answering the question of “what happened next”, they’re trying to frame it like they’re delivering a sequel and doing everybody a service. Incredible.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lol, I guess "taken inspiration from L4D" also extends to the sequel and how it ended up being just one game.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Very psyched for the new PvP mode letting dust off classic IRC prank jokes.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/Overbuff/status/1190402449401503744

Wrist Watch posted:

It is absolutely insane to me that blizzard released this game with so much emphasis on the story and lore and proceeded to sit on their hands doing side content and backstory exposition for over three full loving years.

Winston tried to get the gang back together three and a half years ago and they’re not only just getting around to answering the question of “what happened next”, they’re trying to frame it like they’re delivering a sequel and doing everybody a service. Incredible.
Yeah, I legitimately expected some kind of animated series by now. Or at least some kind of fairly long in-house animations. It seemed like such an obvious thing for them to do.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I'm feeling pretty hype now after watching the videos they just put out

Also Pushbot is best boy:3:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

They should adapt Role Queue so that you get queue credit for playing Tank/Support. Play some games as tank or support and you can cut the line for DPS queue by a couple of minutes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mcbexx posted:

They should adapt Role Queue so that you get queue credit for playing Tank/Support. Play some games as tank or support and you can cut the line for DPS queue by a couple of minutes.

That sounds awful, that'd just lead to horrible tank/support players going "I'm just here so I can play dps next game". I suppose they'd quickly fall to their appropriate matchmaking level though.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I think it would be cool if there was a sort of adaptive role queue where it just made teams of of equal amounts of dps/tank/support but not necessarily 2-2-2. I don't know what it would really do for overall meta balance but having some games be both teams have 3 dps 1 tank 2 heals or something along those lines so it would still be balanced in that regard, but also not mess up queue times for playing a popular role.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you have one tank, everyone will scream at them to have a barrier.

A better time would be to have no healer >=)

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Got to play on the show floor today. PvE exceeded my expectations; it's wilder and more fun than any of the Archives missions although it was fairly easy on the standard difficulty. We still wiped on the final boss once despite that, since we had no idea what the mechanics were. We won the next attempt. Apparently there's an Expert difficulty which kicks your poo poo in if you're not prepared, but it wasn't available for my group.

Push is a fun mode, definitely better than 2CP and probably more fun than Control. Constant back and forth action, fights always break out at different parts of the map so things can change pretty fast. The pushbot is easily the best thing to happen to the game. I like that Blizz said "gently caress it" to lore/story reasons behind an objective and made it "a robot that pushes a barricade for no reason"

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Names of the new maps from the OW2 press kit (assuming PvE assets will also be used for PvP sooner or later)

Toronto (already known)
Gothenburg
Rio
Monte Carlo

Some nice super high res stills from the Zero Hour cinematic

https://imgur.com/a/BHpZMv2

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

novaSphere posted:

Got to play on the show floor today. PvE exceeded my expectations; it's wilder and more fun than any of the Archives missions although it was fairly easy on the standard difficulty. We still wiped on the final boss once despite that, since we had no idea what the mechanics were. We won the next attempt. Apparently there's an Expert difficulty which kicks your poo poo in if you're not prepared, but it wasn't available for my group.

Push is a fun mode, definitely better than 2CP and probably more fun than Control. Constant back and forth action, fights always break out at different parts of the map so things can change pretty fast. The pushbot is easily the best thing to happen to the game. I like that Blizz said "gently caress it" to lore/story reasons behind an objective and made it "a robot that pushes a barricade for no reason"

Probably helps that since they'll have an actual story mode now they can be more explicit about the whole "Overwatch's PvP is Noncanon" thing

Also Pushbot is wonderful

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

The big question to me is whether OW1 or OW2 will provide better performance for tryharding.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

SKULL.GIF posted:

That sounds awful, that'd just lead to horrible tank/support players going "I'm just here so I can play dps next game". I suppose they'd quickly fall to their appropriate matchmaking level though.

I would say make it so you only get credit if you win but that would just lead to those same people freaking out on their team. Really the only answer to balance queue times is to make tanking/supporting more fun than it already is. I actually like both those roles, I haven't queued for DPS once since role queue came out.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What about a tank that applies shields to nearby teammates as the tank attacks, like Brig's healing from smacking enemies?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that would be truly awful tbh

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mcbexx posted:

Some nice super high res stills from the Zero Hour cinematic

https://imgur.com/a/BHpZMv2

Imgur butchers quality with their compression. If you want legit high-res images for whatever reason, grab the 100MB TIFs from the press center (scroll down):

https://blizzard.gamespress.com/Overwatch-2#?tab=artwork

[edit]

Also saw on Reddit the OW2 client is going to replace the OW1 client. So existing players will get the OW2 client to launch the game, but with PvE paywalled until you purchase it I guess.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 2, 2019

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MAKE PUSHBOT A HERO

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So should anyone even bother making a new thread since 2 is less of a sequel and more of an "Overwatch +" edition

Manatee Cannon posted:

that would be truly awful tbh

as with all things it depends on implementation

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Clowner posted:

So should anyone even bother making a new thread since 2 is less of a sequel and more of an "Overwatch +" edition

Just rename the thread Overwatch 2: It's the same poo poo

or

Overwatch 2: DLC being marketed as a sequel

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 2, 2019

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

teagone posted:

Just rename the thread Overwatch 2: It's the same poo poo

Isn't it the opposite problem? All the "same poo poo" is also being included in Overwatch 1, with both "games" sharing players. The Overwatch 2 exclusive stuff is all different modes and PVE stuff, even though the usage of "2" implies its iterating on the first.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Clowner posted:

I don't care how it's implemented, a hero like that would be straight up apocalyptic. brig and double shield wouldn't even compare to how bad that would be

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Overwatch 2: PvElectric Boogaloo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zinkraptor posted:

Isn't it the opposite problem? All the "same poo poo" is also being included in Overwatch 1, with both "games" sharing players. The Overwatch 2 exclusive stuff is all different modes and PVE stuff, even though the usage of "2" implies its iterating on the first.

Overwatch 2: DLC being marketed as a sequel

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Zinkraptor posted:

The Overwatch 2 exclusive stuff is all different modes and PVE stuff, even though the usage of "2" implies its iterating on the first.

Eh, this is a weird assumption to me. There have been innumerable game sequels going decades back that are completely different from the original.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Should have just called it Overwatch: Zero Hour and then market it—it being "Zero Hour" content—as an expansion pack that adds PvE and an engine update on top of the existing game. OG Blizzard is no stranger to expansion packs, I don't know why they didn't just market it like that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

An engine update warrants a "new game" imo and it's actually pretty cool that people who own Overwatch 1 are getting it for free and getting all the new content backported. I paid $50 for this game almost 4 years ago and that's pretty good of a deal.

I don't really care whether it's being marketed as a DLC, expansion pack, or a new game. What difference does it make?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Overwatch 2 - Featuring the bestselling game Overwatch

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

An engine update warrants a "new game" imo and it's actually pretty cool that people who own Overwatch 1 are getting it for free and getting all the new content backported. I paid $50 for this game almost 4 years ago and that's pretty good of a deal.

I don't really care whether it's being marketed as a DLC, expansion pack, or a new game. What difference does it make?

Just because you don't care how the content is being marketed doesn't mean it's not a weird/confusing branding strategy for the franchise. It's literally the same game with more polygons and PvE missions baked in.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

teagone posted:

Should have just called it Overwatch: Zero Hour and then market it—it being "Zero Hour" content—as an expansion pack that adds PvE and an engine update on top of the existing game. OG Blizzard is no stranger to expansion packs, I don't know why they didn't just market it like that.

I can tell you why.

Activision wanted a sequel on shelves and in marketing. They wanted Overwatch 2.

Blizzard clearly knows doing that and killing off OW1 right now would be the dumbest move possible. So they named their expansion pack OW2 and included OW1 inside of it. But Activision gets to go "oh we're releasing a sequel to overwatch" to the investors and they all get to chortle approvingly, tweak their monocles, and give Activision more money

the reason why it makes no real sense is because it doesn't, and it it's just blizzard running a scam on acti's investors by pretending it's a new game instead of an expansion

the sticking point is going to be how much it costs, though. that's what i'm unclear about.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Exactly. This is blizzard trying to appease the overlords while holding the ship together for us fans. It's fine. I'll gladly shell out another $60 for the only game I've played for 4 years (and only invested $60 on in the first place).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Also did they say it would be $60? The original wasn't 60, on PC anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Macaluso posted:

Also did they say it would be $60? The original wasn't 60, on PC anyway

They haven't said any pricing info.

I imagine the $40 normal/$60 special on PC thing like OW1 will probably happen again, with it being $60 on consoles as only the special edition would be available for that. Just like OW1 did.

but right now we've got to wait and see