Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mate, a boiler with too low heating temperature will start breeding legionella. if you drink contaminated water or, even worse, it gets into your lungs during a steamy shower it will nick your guts or even life. after what I've seen of idiot British scum landlords I would not trust them not to turn down the boiler to save sum pennies on the renters. knife crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I own my flat and paid to have the boiler replaced and have had it serviced annually since

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

I own my flat

:thermidor:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

I own my flat and paid to have the boiler replaced and have had it serviced annually since

drat, never meet your heroes

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Can you actually own property in England or is some kind of perpetual lease from the King to be renegotiated everytime they korge a new magic mace?

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Jose posted:

LIBERAL ELITE

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Communist Thoughts posted:

drat, never meet your heroes

lol

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Jose posted:

I own my flat

not like this jose

not like this.........*sharpens guillotine blade* :negative:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Randler posted:

Can you actually own property in England or is some kind of perpetual lease from the King to be renegotiated everytime they korge a new magic mace?

basically you own it as a "yeoman husband" but if the queen comes knocking you must deny her, however if someone gets the mace or one of the swords temporal through your letter box or window ownership reverts to the crown

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Randler posted:

Well, kindof, depending on if you're a leaseholder or freeholder. The former is quite common form of 'ownership' but honestly I don't really get why people agree to it (aside from not having a choice).

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Jose posted:

LIBERAL ELITE

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Angepain posted:

There's no set timetable but pretty quickly. There's no extended lame duck period like the US. If there's a majority government the new Prime Minister will generally be sworn in on the day after and Parliament reconvened asap, if not then there may be a few weeks of shenanigans while people work out who the new PM is. Each step of this has needless elaborate procedural traditions attached to it because this is the UK but that's the general gist.

oh so that's why you guys do that Shadow Cabinet thing? I always thought it was some dumb larping but if one of your surprise elections suddenly completely changes the government overnight they have to be ready to get started immediately.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

basically you own it as a "yeoman husband" but if the queen comes knocking you must deny her, however if someone gets the mace or one of the swords temporal through your letter box or window ownership reverts to the crown

theres a loophole though

if you dismember a swan and lay its entrails in the pattern of the royal insignia in your garden, you can officially challenge prince philip to pistols at dawn to determine who owns the property outright

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

lorn Wayne posted:

theres a loophole though

if you dismember a swan and lay its entrails in the pattern of the royal insignia in your garden, you can officially challenge prince philip to pistols at dawn to determine who owns the property outright

you'd be a fool to try though, hes the fastest draw in the commonwealth. he's not just are madge's husband because hes a nazi racist skeleton

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Randler posted:

Well it's a leasehold from a housing association so

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GABA ghoul posted:

mate, a boiler with too low heating temperature will start breeding legionella. if you drink contaminated water or, even worse, it gets into your lungs during a steamy shower it will nick your guts or even life. after what I've seen of idiot British scum landlords I would not trust them not to turn down the boiler to save sum pennies on the renters. knife crimes
That's not even the only way it can start breeding legionella, anything that can result in your water hitting a low enough temperature in the pipes themselves can do it, which includes long pipes, low flow, as well as no or little insulation. Not drinking from the hot water tap is just a plain good idea, just to be safe. Plus you have to be supremely hosed up to not ever go for the coldest possible water anyway, or you're gonna have to boil it anyway if you need properly hot water.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1190611150708363271?s=19

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

thank you for making drinking water out of the tap another fraught experience for me

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Jose posted:

LIBERAL ELITE

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

One of the many advantages of living on a lovely old council estate is the district hot water system. Instant hot water and heating whenever I want it, none of this "Oh no if you want a bath you have to go into the cupboard and press THE SPECIAL BUTTON" poo poo, it costs me like 20 quid a month even in the middle of winter. In the summer it's basically free because it's a CHAP scheme and the hot water is a waste product - they rebate me my share from the power they sell to the grid. Also the heat exchanger for the system means that I have a permanently-heated cupboard for drying clothes in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I'm p sure this means you have to gently caress the queen

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

are you saying given the opportunity you wouldn't?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Jose posted:

What sort of freak doesn't want cold water to drink lol

Lol, just lmao at plebians who don't have their drinking water filtered, through a virgin's knickers.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

thank god this thread is finally back to talking about brexit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dravs posted:

Lol, just lmao at plebians who don't have their drinking water filtered, through a virgin's knickers.

i live in newcastle so the drinking water is perfectly fine out of the tap because it hasn't been recycled a million times without ever leaving the system

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
:bisonyes:

Super-rich prepare to leave UK 'within minutes' if Labour wins election

quote:

Lawyers and accountants for the UK’s richest families said they had been deluged with calls from millionaire and billionaire clients asking for help and advice on moving countries, shifting their fortunes offshore and making early gifts to their children to avoid the Labour leader’s threat to tax all inheritances above £125,000.

quote:

Corbyn’s plans for workers’ rights, with ideas floated including a four-day working week and giving employees 10% of the shares of big firms, are also of concern to the wealthy.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
edit mobile app borked

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Oh no. The non contributors may go and not contribute somewhere else

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Does Labour actually have a chance of winning, with Scotland being an SNP stronghold still?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

well they're polling badly but everyone expected this again to be a general election about brexit and nothing else and its instantly started being about the NHS and climate change which the tories are extremely bad on

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

I'm mildly proud and ashamed of myself for recognizing David Brent's body in the picture. Then I read the actual bit and cracked up, immediately remembering this moment.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

Does Labour actually have a chance of winning, with Scotland being an SNP stronghold still?

They have as good a chance as they'll get, labour are energised and the tories have an awful candidate and are relying entirely on stupid English racists.

a part of me still expects the typical GE experience of watching as the whole of England as far as the eye can see goes blue but pessimism didn't help last time so I'm enjoying being filled with optimistic fervour instead because tbh I'm incredibly thirsty for tory blood

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Also if people do vote for stupid racism it's not like I'm gonna look back on being optimistic and be like "drat I wish I'd been depressed this whole time"

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I thought there was some big brexit news when I saw 200 new posts. It was actually a bunch of idiots arguing about units.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dance Officer posted:

I thought there was some big brexit news when I saw 200 new posts. It was actually a bunch of idiots arguing about units.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Blexit

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I know primae noctis is rarely used anymore in modern day Britain, but if Lord Sugar there was to claim it what would be the penalty for refusing?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dance Officer posted:

The true Brexit experience is everyone arguing about everything but Brexit the moment an extension has been given.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also the heat exchanger for the system means that I have a permanently-heated cupboard for drying clothes in.

:confused:

Dance Officer posted:

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

needs to be more acrimonious with a 50 50 C vs F split to be brexit

Oh and some very angry bright red men, who would assuredly back the F side