Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want to subject anyone who suggests means testing to an eternity of doing stupid forms until they learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

mfcrocker posted:

Aww would've liked to have had an impromptu goonmeet but I've got a stinking cold that local activists probably don't want :smith:

Left goon bristol meet when?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

I’m the rugby shirt worn over his normal shirt.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

duckmaster posted:

It's weird how Tories can never quite get human customs right, even with the best image consulting money can buy.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Braggart posted:

It's weird how Tories can never quite get human customs right, even with the best image consulting money can buy.

The mugs Johnson brought out after the domestic violence incident was particularly lol.

As if that prick doesn't have totally matching sets.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Braggart posted:

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Sup, I'm a semi lurker that posts rarely. This thread has also become my only news source as I have stopped pretty much all social media and stopped watching/reading the news.

I'm far happier as a person because of it, though it does give you an interesting perspective on things if you don't counter balance this thread with anything.

Like I get that brexit is probably important, but it seems like the biggest divide in the British population is between beef and pickled onion monster munch.

Pickled onion being Corbin and beef being Boris of course.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

I want to subject anyone who suggests means testing to an eternity of doing stupid forms until they learn.

i suggest means testing every billionaire using a guillotine

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
This is truly excellent. And as one of the replies says the most surprising thing about this is a journalist actually asking for evidence, rather than just nodding and mh-hmming like they do for bald faced tory lies.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also the dog is still alive :ohdear:

We regret to inform you the dog has been taxidermied.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jam Man on now and already cracking jokes, you love to see it

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

duckmaster posted:

You just know the PR email said "make sure you wear a rugby shirt and the TV doesn't look too fancy" and he just went "hmmm wear a rugby shirt??? how does one wear these things also build a makeshift TV stand with... a tablecloth... yes, and the small spare TV I have in my bathroom, can't use the 100 inch cinema I have, have to relate to the proles"

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

BoneMonkey posted:

Sup, I'm a semi lurker that posts rarely. This thread has also become my only news source as I have stopped pretty much all social media and stopped watching/reading the news.

I'm far happier as a person because of it, though it does give you an interesting perspective on things if you don't counter balance this thread with anything.

Like I get that brexit is probably important, but it seems like the biggest divide in the British population is between beef and pickled onion monster munch.

:thunk:

Report to your nearest re-education centre, comrade.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We should means test every individual pound that would put someone above 1 million pounds.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

OwlFancier posted:

To be honest I don't really like the tax evasion thing because, like, even if they did pay their taxes it wouldn't be enough, if you can become a billionaire the taxes aren't high enough.
Also, I'd say the first point of argument should not be taxes but wages. The primary problem isn't tax evasion/avoidance but not paying ethical wages and morally defensible division of the fruits of labour.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just spotted that Jezza's poppy is askew. How can this traitor show so much hate to our glorious Britane!!!

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

There should be a maximum wage as well as a maximum amount of wealth you can hold.

I would probably tie the maximum wage to like 10 times the minimum wage or something. And have the wealth be like 10 times that.

Or you know full gay luxury space communism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

Also, I'd say the first point of argument should not be taxes but wages. The primary problem isn't tax evasion/avoidance but not paying ethical wages and morally defensible division of the fruits of labour.

Initially I'd agree, but you now also have the problem of inherited wealth and trading vast sums of money. The majority of wealth inequality has nothing really to do with wages because the wealthy don't go near a wage in their lives.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Azza Bamboo posted:

We should means test every individual pound that would put someone above 1 million pounds.

The results of the test mean we are taking £1 of it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rust Martialis posted:

I guess it's some variation of the Tragedy of the Commons?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

Without a fee for parking, people will just park there all day, I suppose people will park there who are actually going somewhere near the hospital but not actually the hospital, etc. This parking will be unavailable for people coming to the hospital, etc. A fee encourages people to not stay long, etc....

I mean I'm unsure why you can't get validation for visitors or patients as opposed to people just parking to go to somewhere nearby, or limit people to 4 hours free, or...
This doesn't reflect human society though, we've had common resources restricted by social custom rather than paperwork for millennia without that happening. Kropotkin's Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution reflects how that works.

The one place where Garrett Hardin might be right is where corporations exist, because they're terrifying paperclip optimizer AIs for profit. (But Hardin is listed as a white nationalist hate author by the SPLC so I imagine he meant something very different to corporations when he was talking about "groups using all the resources badly who need to be managed with a firm hand and kept out of the environment" :heritage:)

Real people won't park there forever as long as there are systems to tackle abuse. I have a prepayment certificate but I don't make myself ill on purpose to get as many prescriptions as possible within the time frame. I pay water rates instead of using a meter, but I don't set my toilet to flush constantly to save me the effort.

Funnily enough (and this'll really piss off the "infinite demand for a free good" lot) the best thing we could do for car park use, road congestion, air quality, CO2 emissions, and social equality is free at the point of use municipal public transport. But according to the Commons argument the feckless poor would do nothing but ride the bus all day every day.

OwlFancier posted:

They're probably the type of technocratic pricks that enjoy forms though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

To be honest I don't really like the tax evasion thing because, like, even if they did pay their taxes it wouldn't be enough, if you can become a billionaire the taxes aren't high enough.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Corbs going in deep on environmental issues, planning a green industrial revolution

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

BoneMonkey posted:

Hmm. One is tart, vinegary and often involved in the making of preserves, while the other is fatty and overfed and very bad for the environment.

Checks out. :hmmyes:

This will be my first and last ever crispchat post. I leave you all to enjoy it as you were :wotwot:

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Braggart posted:

Hmm. One is tart, vinegary and often involved in the making of preserves, while the other is fatty and overfed and very bad for the environment.

Checks out. :hmmyes:

This will be my first and last ever crispchat post. I leave you all to enjoy it as you were :wotwot:

Good job it was a correct one.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

Corbs going in deep on environmental issues, planning a green industrial revolution

He just floated including environmental regulations on foreign imports which is a fantastic idea

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BoneMonkey posted:

There should be a maximum wage as well as a maximum amount of wealth you can hold.

I would probably tie the maximum wage to like 10 times the minimum wage or something. And have the wealth be like 10 times that.

You don't think people should have the right to own their own home?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jedit posted:

you can’t own a home man

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

The land at the very least should be owned in common treasury, to take away the idea that land monopoly is something desirable or acceptable.

If we stop land hoarding, build sufficient housing, and replace mortgage lending with trusts, there's no reason why the default price of the actual bricks and mortar (or whatever the best thing for building houses is, goddamnedtwisto) should be anywhere near 10x the maximum wage.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Braggart posted:

He went to Eton, he should absolutely know how to wear a rugby shirt, the daft twat.

Jedit posted:

Yes OP. Private property was a mistake.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That poll recently that said 50% of UK voters base their voting decision on green issues had a big impact on both Labour and the Tories I guess.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

WOW! if corbyn hadn't campaigned against apartheid then maybe it wouldn't have ended letting the springboks compete internationally and beat England - why do you hate are lads Jeremy???

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Funnily enough (and this'll really piss off the "infinite demand for a free good" lot) the best thing we could do for car park use, road congestion, air quality, CO2 emissions, and social equality is free at the point of use municipal public transport. But according to the Commons argument the feckless poor would do nothing but ride the bus all day every day.

I think the answer to this problem is to provide so many free services that it's physically impossible for the poor to use all of them all of the time. Then, they will simply use some of them for some of the time, and the services will not be overwhelmed.

Ooh, but then they might breed in order to occupy all the available niches. The poor are like bacteria, you see.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

He went to Eton, he should absolutely know how to wear a rugby shirt, the daft twat.

I dunno. Isn't the only evidence we have of Boris playing rugby:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I haven’t been keeping very up-to-date with the news so sorry if this is a dumb question, but now Bercow’s stood down what’s the timeline for picking a new Speaker? Is somebody else standing in temporarily until then? Also, somebody else mentioned that the election hasn’t technically kicked off yet, when does that happen?

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
OK so - free parking works well until people abuse it. There are lots of other things that work the same way; the mugs and coffee pot in the break room, for example.

I choose to believe that nobody intentionally abuses the coffee situation or never takes their turn at washing up or whatever. But people do fall into bad habits sometimes. Usually, in the coffee pot case, they can be rehabilitated with a polite "please wash your own dishes, it's rude not to". At what scale does that kind of, uh, societal/social reinforcement stop working? Why can't we put up 'please don't park here' signs and...go on with our lives?

Writ in the extreme, is it just that people don't see with their own eyes the people they're hurting that allows them to participate in exploitative systems?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Yes OP. Private property was a mistake.

Land ownership as a concept still makes me :psyduck:

e:

<--- wtf is this

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 2, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

Fifth time's the charm :v:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Superterranean posted:

At what scale does that kind of, uh, societal/social reinforcement stop working?

At the scale where you are able to pay to have people trying it removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bundy posted:

Land ownership as a concept still makes me :psyduck:

e:

<--- wtf is this

I'm pretty sure everyone who posted in the failed Pissflaps election thread got one, so it's your own fault :smuggo: