Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Start talking about the actual thread topic or start eating long, long probations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Start talking about the actual thread topic or start eating long, long probations

Why do this when the problem obviously begins and ends with fishmech? Just permaban fishmech already, he ruins whatever thread he's in with bullshit like "there's no such thing as health food" every god drat day. Stop pretending it's everyone else's fault for reacting to him. It's been a decade+ of this poo poo, he's never going to learn or get better.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

That sounds unhealthy.

Here in CA we've already got service employees living in RVs parked along the road, so I'm wondering how much longer before we're seeing the return of Hoovervilles. Although Fox will probably try calling them Bernievilles or Obamavilles.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Beachcomber posted:

That sounds unhealthy.

Here in CA we've already got service employees living in RVs parked along the road, so I'm wondering how much longer before we're seeing the return of Hoovervilles. Although Fox will probably try calling them Bernievilles or Obamavilles.

I feel like I'm not the first person to use this term but they'll call them Hillary Hovels.

Also I know that dead malls have sometimes been repurposed for apartments and other mixed-use stuff but has there been to push to rezone them as public housing? There likely isn't any political will in America to do that but it seems like a good use of what would otherwise be a lot of free space.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 31, 2019

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

TheScott2K posted:

Why do this when the problem obviously begins and ends with fishmech? Just permaban fishmech already, he ruins whatever thread he's in with bullshit like "there's no such thing as health food" every god drat day. Stop pretending it's everyone else's fault for reacting to him. It's been a decade+ of this poo poo, he's never going to learn or get better.

This person has been like this for the entire time? Oh! is this the person who was confined to only posting in the deleted threads/gas chamber, and they continued posting anyway.

overmind2000 posted:

Also I know that dead malls have sometimes been repurposed for apartments and other mixed-use stuff but has there been to push to rezone them as public housing? There likely isn't any political will in America to do that but it seems like a good use of what would otherwise be a lot of free space.

Wouldn't that have tremendous heating and cooling costs for people living there? Even with a whole lot of replumbing and insulation work, I wonder if this is feasible.

Joey Steel fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 1, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

overmind2000 posted:

I feel like I'm not the first person to use this term but they'll call them Hillary Hovels.

There's a mall nearby in Cupertino that they've been attempting to rezone into mixed use, but the project has continually been Nimbyd to a standstill.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I wouldn't recommend eating probations; they tend to be high in salt.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

overmind2000 posted:

it's a bad idea from an architectural standpoint, the amount of pipe you'd have to run for all those toilets and sinks and showers would not be amenable to a space formerly used for big box retail. you'd be better off scraping the site clean and building fresh

Joey Steel posted:

I wonder if this is feasible.

it is not. the more aggressive adaptive reuse plans for malls tend to leave the actual mall structure in place, but it's nice to dig up the parking lots and put townhomes or something there. you can put like a library or a roller rink, stuff like that, where the sears used to be

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

overmind2000 posted:

The problem is the structure of the buildings themselves. They're not really good for doing anything other than being an indoor shopping row. Even purposing them as rote warehouses doesn't really work. It's better to tear down and just build an actual warehouse or apartment blocks.

I'm not an expert, but I'd assume they'd be terrible for housing because you can't efficiently use the space and still have basic things like windows in every apartment.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
one notable big box rehab was when an old walmart in mcallen, texas got turned into a public library

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Neo Rasa posted:

I worked in retail for some time and I will say straight up that it made me absolutely despise Thanksgiving and ever since I got out I don't even leave my home on Black Friday for any reason and I don't even think about buying stuff online. It definitely got turned into a negative weekend for me in that respect, but it's also a good thing because I just do other stuff and relax. So it's not like a solid four days of wanting to walk into traffic like when I was still a store manager.

Like, day after Christmas sales/Christmas Eve were bad but not even close to giving me the amount of hate for a time of year that Black Friday did.

I'm with you, mate. Retail did even more to make me despise humanity, but I'm a college professor now and I spend the breaks, Thanksgiving and Christmas, reading, relaxing, and enriching myself. The fact that I'm a Jew had always made the "holiday season" of minimal importance to me (we didn't do big Hannukah), and having seen the laughable consumerism just drove the nail in deep.

One year, though, I was working at a department store and I volunteered to work from 2 PM on Thanksgiving until 2 AM. Firstly, I was paid double time, but I also worked in furniture and nobody buys that poo poo during the primary gifting period. I spent 12 hours reading ebooks and telling annoying teenagers with overpriced Starbucks to gently caress off my clean furniture. Contrast that with the year where I worked in another department store for just over minimum wage from 2 AM to 2 PM, and I nearly passed out at the end of my shift because of course I had no sleep because I had to come into work at 2 AM. I was so exhausted I shouldn't have driven myself home; I genuinely could have been arrested for that.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The only black Friday deal I ever bought was the PS4 with Spider-Man bundle. I wanted to play Red Dead 2, and figured hey free Spider-Man. I ordered it online, and even picked it up, almost a week before Black Friday even happened too. Thanks Target.

The only Black Friday purchase I can ever think of was a PS4 with Uncharted collection in 2015 from Amazon. Someone stole it off of my doorstep but, to their credit, Amazon had me a new one two days later with no questions asked. That was the incident where I made it a point to put a sign on my door, no matter where I was renting, saying that all packages go to the rental office.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 1, 2019

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

luxury handset posted:

one notable big box rehab was when an old walmart in mcallen, texas got turned into a public library

That's really cool. I wish more cities would do this. It's like taking back some culture that was robbed by the big box stores.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

luxury handset posted:

it is not. the more aggressive adaptive reuse plans for malls tend to leave the actual mall structure in place, but it's nice to dig up the parking lots and put townhomes or something there. you can put like a library or a roller rink, stuff like that, where the sears used to be

One out here was moderately successful in converting a dying mall back into open-air shops like it was in the 50's, bulldozing the anchor stores and turning those spaces into outdoor commons, and converting most of the parking lots into townhomes.

The other mall across town is so badly off that they've got a 1-day-a-week city library extension taking up a huge chunk of retail space like it's nothing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

overmind2000 posted:

They'd certainly make decent temporary shelters in case of emergency or something like that. But so far their design and existing infrastructure suit them more for a local/state government to use them as office spaces instead of building new facilities elsewhere/renting space in normal commercial buildings, or the less radical than housing renovations for other public services like community colleges.

The housing conversions have been most successful in malls that were more centrally located than many are - such as the first full scale project of this in the US, at the mall in central New Haven, CT. (That project also turned over some of the space to general office space too)

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

If people possibly wondering about the drawbacks of having your groceries delivered; my order for tonight of meat, cheese, bread, eggs and other food stuffs had "multiple" items damaged in transit. Order cancelled. Refund initiated.

I know you can have a bag failure while transferring groceries from store to car or car to home but I'm super curious how this happened so as to negate the entire order. I'm envisioning the Amazon driver like slamming on his breaks so as not to hit a trick-or-treater and having all the bags go flying through the front window.

Now I don't have lunch for tomorrow which seems like a reasonable trade off for first world, modern conveniences. :shrug:

EDIT: And just as I posted, this came up on my news feed:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/30/business/grocery-delivery-pickup-walmart-kroger-stop-and-shop/index.html

The term "dark stores" sounds so nefarious.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 1, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

One of the saddest clear evidence of my local mall rotting away is watching this one unit church thing slowly fill nearly a whole wing with its various related businesses.

That or the first time I noticed one of the long running kiosk stores was now in a normal, nearly empty unit.

They just started tearing it down to build more mixed use housing and light retail just last week. RIP

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Don’t feel sad that malls are dieing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Invalid Validation posted:

My country has snow and rain though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Welp.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 2, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

never had a triple post gently caress up before.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 2, 2019

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

But I like malls. It’s also a safe space for teens to hang out, and window shopping is way more fun that just ordering poo poo from amazon.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

fishmech posted:

That meal is totally fine. Food you dislike does not equal deadly toxins or whatever you're on about. I'll go ahead and remind you that lack of vitamins is extremely uncommon in America due to the fact that Americans eat a whole ton of food in general, much of which is fortified with vitamins beyond what would ordinarily be in the food - and that people are totally fine for vitamin consumption as long as they average out to the correct amounts over weekly to monthly periods.

You sound like those people who virulently push for taxes for soda yet have no interest in taxes on lovely juices that are just as sugary, or expensive coffee stuff that's far higher calorie. You know, because what it comes down to is you being angry that people aren't enjoying the right kind of food.

There is literally no such thing as "processed food" outside of scare mongering and diet salesmanship. No coherent definition of it can be made which wouldn't mean that only straight up raw stuff counts as "not processed".

Translation: gently caress poor people, they should have to pay more money for food instead of being able to eat plenty of it at the current balance between prices and their incomes.

Cheap food is an umbiguous social good, large portions are a social good. Particularly with the way many poor people lack the time and/or working equipment at home to cook up enough food for themselves otherwise.

Show me a few hundred thousand people who actually eat just that and I might consider it relevant. As it is there's all kinds of dumb ways people can choose to eat from any set of foods you personally don't disdain and still up looking unattractive to you - why care?

It reminds me of how a sizable contingent on this site think it's common among the desperately poor to only eat traditional fast food and that's their problem - despite the fact that doing so is fairly expensive and even beyond that hurdle people rarely do it anyway.

can I get vitamins by huffing computer duster?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

have you seen my baby posted:

Sure, but properly identifying the foods that are really unhealthy vs foods that are just easy to overconsume vs foods that people don't like for moralizing reasons takes a lot of effort and isn't useful for solving the problem of obesity.

It focuses the dialogue on individual's consumption choices (which should just be left up to them) when the real problem is societal. "Break up the large food companies" is better than "don't eat that sugary yogurt!"

my doctor tells me i have to stop drinking a quart of heavy cream everyday....but now to get my fix im dunking sticks of butter in vitamin D milk. its just not the same though.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

My country has snow and rain though.

I don't know what's worse. Malls or strip-malls. When you look at it from a high density perspective, traditional malls are better since strip-malls kinda spread all over the place. Having grown up in So-Cal I appreciated centralized malls a lot more but not sure that translates into what is generally good for economy, environment, culture, pick your poison. I also used to think single family homes were better than high density living because it looked better. I do think malls are better than just one huge store like Walmart or Fry's simply from the inherent diversity of stores. Never been much of a fan of one store rules all and yet here we are in the age of Amazon the Ruler. What a strange era we live in.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Malls suck. The cost of refurbing a mall into anything else otjer than a mall is insane. I wanted to buy a mall wiyh a group of other investors. Our findings were that it would cost 4x the cost of the mall to renovate.

Strip malls otoh are good becausw your anchor requirements are much lower. A bank and mexican grocery store can anchor a strip mall easily.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Why does it cost so much to renovate a mall?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

WrenP-Complete posted:

malls are very large and are purpose built to be a mall. this means that they don't really have the same dimensions, externally or internally, for many other applications. too big and with too few utility hookups to be converted to housing. not internally structured well to be used for industrial or warehousing purposes. not tall enough to be suitable as an arena. also malls are generally too large and costly to be demolished, which is why people prefer to rehab them than tear them down - and why dead malls just end up abandoned and rotting rather than replaced. since a dead or dying mall is also a mall which the current owner can't think of a way to turn profitable, they can be bought for relatively cheap - meaning that the cost of purchase is relatively lower to the cost of renovation

a mall is a wide, flat building suitable for a moderate amount of visitors who are doing an activity which requires a lot of floor space. so things that malls could be used for:

-indoor sports - skating, kart racing, mini golf
-conference center
-offices
-archive

if you want to change one of the dimensions of a mall, or start punching through the floor to add more pipes, you better have a very profitable goal in mind

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 2, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

LionArcher posted:

But I like malls. It’s also a safe space for teens to hang out, and window shopping is way more fun that just ordering poo poo from amazon.

Yeah, having a place where you could look at a bunch of different styles of clothes, and actually try them on before buying was apparently a luxury I miss.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

WrenP-Complete posted:

Non-anchor stores are intended to be modular and replaceable. Nothing in there is permanent or real. It's hard to find a good structural layout of a store in blueprint form, so let's just grab a photo off the internet.

Look at the photo above. No water except emergency sprinklers, no internal walls except for maybe mobile dividers, no bathrooms, no external windows, huge and unsuitable glass front walls, etc. While you can put in the internal walls easily enough, you're also now going to have to run the wiring to bring it up to code and to bring power outlets to individual rooms. Once you subdivide the space into rooms, you've also interfered with the flow from the existing air handlers and will probably have to retrofit something in there (look at the vent placement on the ceiling). You could say "oh well, open a window" but there aren't any. That'd also have to enter your plan. Sanitation, garbage handling, all the extra plumbing goodies that go along with large apartment complexes, etc etc, would be required. If you have existing utilities, running an extension is just costly but fine. On the other hand, if all your main potable utilities and sanitation are half a mile away at the Food Court, the problem just got MUCH bigger and more expensive.

Presumably your future residents want kitchens, toilets, and a bit of privacy and sound-proofing. Malls have none of that and many are incapable of easily providing it; it's just a fancy-looking warehouse with a fake internal facade. Those ceilings are almost all fake drop-ceilings with no additional separation between shop units. If you erased all the ceilings, you'd be able to see right over the wall into the next unit. The only reason you don't already hear everything in the next storefront is (1) they're big, and (2) it's all so loud that you don't realize that you are hearing everything in the mall. You're going to have to seal the units not only for sound and insulation, but for pest control. Add permanent residences and kitchens, and someone is going to bring in roaches, fleas, bedbugs, etc etc. The less individual unit separation, the further all that poo poo spreads. Even the shared air handlers will spread infestations. (I had that happen in a badly designed apartment; we got a flea infestation from our downstairs neighbor who was on a shared heating system. They came through the vents.)

You can make a shop easily enough because they're simple as hell. Making that space livable is extremely pricey.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Commercial real estate financing is hosed too. I think we hit on it earlier in the thread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Great post, Sundae!

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Just go the other way and convert them to amazon warehouses. Probably need more loading docks tho

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Beachcomber posted:

That sounds unhealthy.

Hoovervilles have been around for the last 5 years (maybe more) in Seattle. The sanctioned sites with actual services are a net good but the ones that end up getting swept and shut down by the city are more numerous.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Commercial real estate financing is hosed too. I think we hit on it earlier in the thread.

I remember that! It blew my mind and explained so many of the weird empty units all over the place.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Hoovervilles have been around for the last 5 years (maybe more) in Seattle. The sanctioned sites with actual services are a net good but the ones that end up getting swept and shut down by the city are more numerous.

Nickelsville. They are generally run as a tight ship. Only really puts a dent in the problem though. Heroin is hosed up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lmao at blaming Nickels for this

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

inkblottime posted:

Okay okay, I've got a good one. If everyone stops shopping at brick and mortar stores on Black Friday and switches to all online, is this one part that the Big Box Stores played in their own death? Like after whipping up the madness and having people skip Thanksgiving to work and such and turning it into a negative stereotype of the holiday?
What's funny is how hard they're pushing Black Friday in Canada now too. We already had Thanksgiving, it was in October. Black Friday here is a shopping day completely unmoored from any reason to actually happen, besides it happens in the USA. I kind of appreciate that though, because it means nobody's holidays are getting screwed up here, it's just a random Friday for stuff to be on sale.

I do bet all the news stories about how lovely it is for everyone helps drive traffic down a least a little bit. That and all the ads being posted online so you can decide if there's actually anything worth going outside for.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Lmao at blaming Nickels for this

He got blamed for the snow response, which, to be fair, was handled in such an awkward and deaf way as to deserve some of the blame. Then McGinn reminded everyone that the grass is greener when you're on the other side.

Solenna posted:

I do bet all the news stories about how lovely it is for everyone helps drive traffic down a least a little bit. That and all the ads being posted online so you can decide if there's actually anything worth going outside for.

I live right next to a rather large mall/shopping district and I avoid driving into at all costs around this time of year. It would normally take a few minutes to get from point A to B but during the Holidays you could be stuck in traffic for over half an hour just going a few blocks if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Especially if the freeway on/off ramps are already congested.

Southcenter. Blah. It's designed like a catch net with only one way to get in/out of it on the west side, two ways to get out on either the north or south side. It's normally fine if you skirt the east side of it but heaven forbid if you end up on Southcenter Pkwy on a Holiday weekend, much less Black Friday.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 3, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

inkblottime posted:

Just to be clear, the advocation is: if you eat less, you won't get obese, no matter what kind of food you eat? Doesn't that replace one-size-fits all with another? And what does it mean to eat less? How much is less? How do we quantify this so it will make it easier for the ignorant masses to understand they don't have to be overweight if they just could follow this ambiguous argument?

They mean eat fewer calories. It's simple to say but can be difficult to implement, since calorie labels are rough approximations at best and it's harder to keep to a plan than to simply make it. The idea is sound and has proven to be effective.

It's not really an ambiguous argument at all, anyone could hypothetically sit down and estimate how many calories they need to limit themselves to consuming in order to lose weight. It's kind of a big ask for a lot of people though, when food consumption conveys happy feelings and meal planning takes time that they simply don't have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's also a problem with your metabolism slowing as you live a less active lifestyle, like according to my nutritionist my BMR (basal metabolic rate,) isn't accurate if you use the standard formula, it's a lot lower. I have to eat around 700 calories a day to lose weight at 346 lbs. I know some people are going to say this is impossible, and isn't accurate, and is unhealthy. I have an eating disorder, and came to this number with my physician, therapist, and nutritionist. Some people have hosed themselves up for life because they played video games and stayed indoors for the majority of their life. Your body still spits out ghrelin as if it's starving, so you feel hungry constantly and it's hell trying to lose weight.