Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LOL

I've decided that the best way to deal with decades of lies about the Clintons is to go all-in on Hillary's body count. I mean, wouldn't it be great if we had a president with more kills than Agent 47 ?

Putin acts up again and threatens Estonia ? Hillary takes a long weekend in "Camp David" and suddenly we find out if Putin named a successor or not. Republican Guard blows something up ? A couple of important clerics get found strangled in their beds. It'd be foreign policy on easy mode after about six months.

The serious way to answer that one is to point out that Newt Gingrich and Ken Starr are still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/1190662698855362560

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/justicedems/status/1190330015281557505?s=21

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

sexpig by night posted:

plus once again baseball is actually only out lefted by the nba of the big american sports leagues' fans.

I know you said "big American sports leagues" but MLS fans would like a word. When the league implemented a policy this season banning political speech from stadiums, but only specifically called out the Iron Front logo, the disparate fans groups organized together and through collective action got the league to agree to all of the demands.

This article kinda sucks because it only talks about Portland when it was a league wide effort, but it's a decent start.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/08/31/there-is-an-anti-fascist-rebellion-brewing-pacific-northwest-soccer-is-center-it/

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Her definition of "Health Care" is the medical industry CEO's wet dream of $10,000 a year in payments for a plan that argues with your doctors, refuses to fill prescriptions and rule lawyers everyone on coverage.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LOL

I've decided that the best way to deal with decades of lies about the Clintons is to go all-in on Hillary's body count. I mean, wouldn't it be great if we had a president with more kills than Agent 47 ?

Putin acts up again and threatens Estonia ? Hillary takes a long weekend in "Camp David" and suddenly we find out if Putin named a successor or not. Republican Guard blows something up ? A couple of important clerics get found strangled in their beds. It'd be foreign policy on easy mode after about six months.

The serious way to answer that one is to point out that Newt Gingrich and Ken Starr are still alive.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mooseontheloose posted:

It would be nice if you added context to some of those quotes...

Which is absolutely true from a strategic standpoint in a Presidential primary.

Again, is a political point. People like the elements of the ACA and can be used to get to MFA.

This isn't to say that there isn't stuff to be miffed about in there but you were pretty selectively editing something in there to make it worse than it was.

The quotes are just as bad (if not worse!) in context. The only reason this is a nothing story is because Nancy Pelosi doesn't get to dictate the terms of Democratic strategy in 2020. It is absolutely damaging to have a Democratic leader running around and working against good policy, however.

Like, this is the full ACA/MfA quote:

quote:

Pelosi said Democrats should seek to build on Obamacare instead of pushing ahead with the more sweeping Medicare for All plan favored by Warren and Sanders that would create a government-run health insurance system and abolish private coverage.

“Protect the Affordable Care Act — I think that’s the path to health care for all Americans. Medicare For All has its complications,” Pelosi said, adding that “the Affordable Care Act is a better benefit than Medicare.”

She's not arguing for the ACA as a path to single-payer or as a political strategy. She is literally saying that the ACA is better than the alternatives being presented and that she believes MfA is a losing issue for 2020. It doesn't matter if she secretly believes that this is a path to something better deep down, because that's not what she's saying.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

they're all siblings and the father who took the picture and posted it on twitter killed a person

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/1190662698855362560

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

highme posted:

I know you said "big American sports leagues" but MLS fans would like a word. When the league implemented a policy this season banning political speech from stadiums, but only specifically called out the Iron Front logo, the disparate fans groups organized together and through collective action got the league to agree to all of the demands.

This article kinda sucks because it only talks about Portland when it was a league wide effort, but it's a decent start.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/08/31/there-is-an-anti-fascist-rebellion-brewing-pacific-northwest-soccer-is-center-it/

this is fair, MLS deserves praise for not being garbage too

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Can’t wait for Pelosi to get out of politics.

I was at Walgreens the other day picking up my medication, which with insurance was only $15. I happened to see that the pharmacy had other items on their shelves with prices, and one that caught my eye was a box of 100 test strips for blood sugar devices. Something that diabetics I’m sure need to use to measure their blood sugar, obviously. I assumed that’s something you need at least a box a month, and the cost of that box was $150. Someone making minimum wage where I live would have to work at least 25 hours (to accommodate for taxes) to afford that. Not to mention other necessities, that’s a huge chunk of change.

Medical costs are definitely what keep poor people poor, and push the middle class further and further towards that end. The rich don’t care because it’s an issue they never had to worry about. But for those below them, we have people dying from rationing their insulin or being unable to afford basic meds.

Old Dems need to leave, the GOP needs to go extinct, and Progressives need to start making some ground or else it’s just going to keep on happening.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

folks there's a lot here

https://twitter.com/MikeDelMoro/status/1190666707502845953

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Oh and hey, there's client #3 again.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Angry_Ed posted:

Oh and hey, there's client #3 again.

Did we work out before that Client 3 is likely Hannity?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

bu bu but Jimmy Dore SAID

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

The quotes are just as bad (if not worse!) in context. The only reason this is a nothing story is because Nancy Pelosi doesn't get to dictate the terms of Democratic strategy in 2020. It is absolutely damaging to have a Democratic leader running around and working against good policy, however.

Like, this is the full ACA/MfA quote:

She's not arguing for the ACA as a path to single-payer or as a political strategy. She is literally saying that the ACA is better than the alternatives being presented and that she believes MfA is a losing issue for 2020. It doesn't matter if she secretly believes that this is a path to something better deep down, because that's not what she's saying.

https://theintercept.com/2019/02/05/nancy-pelosi-medicare-for-all/

quote:

LESS THAN A month after Democrats — many of them running on “Medicare for All” — won back control of the House of Representatives in November, the top health policy aide to then-prospective House Speaker Nancy Pelosi met with Blue Cross Blue Shield executives and assured them that party leadership had strong reservations about single-payer health care and was more focused on lowering drug prices, according to sources familiar with the meeting.

Pelosi adviser Wendell Primus detailed five objections to Medicare for All and said that Democrats would be allies to the insurance industry in the fight against single-payer health care. Primus pitched the insurers on supporting Democrats on efforts to shrink drug prices, specifically by backing a number of measures that the pharmaceutical lobby is opposing.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Pelosi adviser Wendell Primus detailed five objections to Medicare for All and said that Democrats would be allies to the insurance industry in the fight against single-payer health care. Primus pitched the insurers on supporting Democrats on efforts to shrink drug prices, specifically by backing a number of measures that the pharmaceutical lobby is opposing.

Oh this is the part where they say "Ya gotta give us SOMETHING" and the corporations say "nah" and the Dems say "ok that's fine" and the status quo continues

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Here's a good example of how money corrupts our politics- Nancy Pelosi in 1993

https://twitter.com/justicedems/status/1190661462013939713

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

sexpig by night posted:

this is fair, MLS deserves praise for not being garbage too

Nah, MLS is trash. Ownership includes Robert Kraft, Stan Kroenke and Hank Paulson's failson.

They were just woefully unequipped to deal with the pushback.

highme fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 2, 2019

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

My hot take is that Pelosi is acting as a shield for the Dems in Trump leaning districts. She doesn’t mind being the villain if it means taking bullseyes off of members of her caucus.

But defending Pelosi is not a hill I’m willing to take much less die on, given many of her previous remarks/actions...so that’s just me playing devils advocate.

Hopefully after 2020 (or even 2022) we get enough of a leftist Democrat coalition in Congress she can be credibly challenged from the left, instead of the right.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Solaris 2.0 posted:

My hot take is that Pelosi is acting as a shield for the Dems in Trump leaning districts. She doesn’t mind being the villain if it means taking bullseyes off of members of her caucus.

But defending Pelosi is not a hill I’m willing to take much less die on, given many of her previous remarks/actions...so that’s just me playing devils advocate.

Hopefully after 2020 (or even 2022) we get enough of a leftist Democrat coalition in Congress she can be credibly challenged from the left, instead of the right.

Why would you give her the benefit of the doubt after decades of this poo poo

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

This poo poo is loving enraging

im also pissing steam. Didn't they learn anything from 2016? Its like they think that hate for Trump will win us the election on its own and they can once again do everything in their power to benefit the donors at our expense.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

At the end of the day Pelosi isn’t running for President and neither the left nor the right likes her so to me, her opinion only matters to centrist to feel better about themselves so fine, whatever. Their power diminishes with every election cycle.

She isn’t running for president, two of the front runners are running on MFA and there are plenty of leftists Democrats running at all levels of government on a MFA platform.

I do wish she would step down after the 2020 elections instead of 2022 tho. Ugh.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Ringo Star Get posted:

Can’t wait for Pelosi to get out of politics.

I was at Walgreens the other day picking up my medication, which with insurance was only $15. I happened to see that the pharmacy had other items on their shelves with prices, and one that caught my eye was a box of 100 test strips for blood sugar devices. Something that diabetics I’m sure need to use to measure their blood sugar, obviously. I assumed that’s something you need at least a box a month, and the cost of that box was $150. Someone making minimum wage where I live would have to work at least 25 hours (to accommodate for taxes) to afford that. Not to mention other necessities, that’s a huge chunk of change.

Medical costs are definitely what keep poor people poor, and push the middle class further and further towards that end. The rich don’t care because it’s an issue they never had to worry about. But for those below them, we have people dying from rationing their insulin or being unable to afford basic meds.

Old Dems need to leave, the GOP needs to go extinct, and Progressives need to start making some ground or else it’s just going to keep on happening.

Im on disability. My prescriptions from the cause of my disability is 175 a month. Im hosed. Though I have medicare I cannot get prescription coverage for another year. The republicans and establishment dems have taken something that is good, ensuring people that cannot work are taken care of, and perverted it and starved it of funds. It took me near five years to get on disability. Yes they paid me retroactively for the years I waited but in that time I lost my house, my car, and my savings. My only mistake was I got sick in the united states.

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 2, 2019

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1190688018648186880

What the hell :lol:

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
I’ve changed my mind on the Trump presidential library, it should just be an open air urinal on his grave site and in a hundred years when everyone who remembered him is dead and done pissing on him we can turn it into a superfund site.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The Super-Id posted:

I’ve changed my mind on the Trump presidential library, it should just be an open air urinal on his grave site and in a hundred years when everyone who remembered him is dead and done pissing on him we can turn it into a superfund site.

it should also have free copies of the mueller report for bathroom reading available on request

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I wonder how much money is in the large bags with $ symbols on them that she is handed regularly to have such incredibly stupid loving opinions about literally everything.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

empty whippet box posted:

I wonder how much money is in the large bags with $ symbols on them that she is handed regularly to have such incredibly stupid loving opinions about literally everything.

Politicians are depressingly cheap.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Pollyanna posted:

It's some old poo poo from the early 1900s, I don't know.

I know it's a dumb thing. It just really annoys me. Like when the president has to pardon a turkey or give kids candy for Halloween, I know it doesn't matter, but it still annoys me. Or that dumb correspondents dinner which is despicable, but Trump doesn't do for all the wrong reasons. Like, everything is loving burning and the president is doing this poo poo? I've credit for Trump for not doing these things except he does them in hilarious terrible ways or out of spite.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

What in the actual gently caress lol

This is one of those insane goofy Saturday morning cartoon moments he's so good at having and you can't help but laugh, but also stand in utter awe at how awful he is

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 2, 2019

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

1glitch0 posted:

I know it's a dumb thing. It just really annoys me. Like when the president has to pardon a turkey or give kids candy for Halloween, I know it doesn't matter, but it still annoys me. Or that dumb correspondents dinner which is despicable, but Trump doesn't do for all the wrong reasons. Like, everything is loving burning and the president is doing this poo poo? I've credit for Trump for not doing these things except he does them in hilarious terrible ways or out of spite.

Honestly it's mostly a consequence of the US's weird-rear end commingling of the roles of head of state and head of government. In most nations there's a Prime Minister to do important governing things and put out fires, and a monarch or President to shake hands and do ceremonial cutesy stuff. Having the same person do both jobs is responsible for a lot of issues and one of them is the sort of dissonance you're describing.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Oh this is the part where they say "Ya gotta give us SOMETHING" and the corporations say "nah" and the Dems say "ok that's fine" and the status quo continues

I'm pretty sure by this point Dems are just doing what the insurance groups paid in bribes for. Gotta keep that gravy train rolling, just don't be as obvious about it as Republicans

Honestly? You took your kids to a party at Trump's White House, what did you expect was going to happen?

The Super-Id posted:

I think by that point this site would be about as close to literally salting the earth so nothing grows again as you can get without dumping like truckloads of rock salt there every day for a century

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 2, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
wee, double post

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 2, 2019

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Ha, people sawing through the wall with $100 cordless reciprocating saws.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"Photos posted on social media show Vice President Mike Pence was present for the Halloween party at the EEOB. However, a spokesperson for the vice president said he did not go beyond his office, which is on the second floor.

“Our ceremonial office had a plane display,” the spokesperson said. “We had kids build their own paper airplanes and fly them. That’s what the VP came to. He came to our ceremonial office.”

Asked if the vice president thought the “Build the Wall” display was appropriate for a children’s event, the spokesperson said, “I have no idea. I’m not aware of it.”"

I love how at this point the most charitable conclusion possible is that Pence is the singularly dumbest and most incurious person in the DC Metro area. Which we know isn't true since Trump is there.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Shifty Pony posted:

"Photos posted on social media show Vice President Mike Pence was present for the Halloween party at the EEOB. However, a spokesperson for the vice president said he did not go beyond his office, which is on the second floor.

“Our ceremonial office had a plane display,” the spokesperson said. “We had kids build their own paper airplanes and fly them. That’s what the VP came to. He came to our ceremonial office.”

Asked if the vice president thought the “Build the Wall” display was appropriate for a children’s event, the spokesperson said, “I have no idea. I’m not aware of it.”"

I love how at this point the most charitable conclusion possible is that Pence is the singularly dumbest and most incurious person in the DC Metro area. Which we know isn't true since Trump is there.

Obviously the whole thing is an attempt to keep the poo poo of the Trump admin off him so he can try to salvage a career after this is all over, but I choose to believe that he's actually so unaware of his surroundings that he's walking straight into walls and getting trapped in closets.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the Eisenhower Executive Office Building is home to the most evil monsters on the planet. I would never allow my child through those doors

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm sure Dan Quail is happy that his work as HW Bush's VP is finally being honored by anothe VP. Real shame that Pence is managing to gently caress up his homage to ol' Dan with the horses and "mother" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

the Eisenhower Executive Office Building is home to the most evil monsters on the planet. I would never allow my child through those doors

Anyone who wants their kids to go to the White House for anything are probably full-on MAGA types.