Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Bethamphetamine posted:

Millenials: We hate you for the content of your character and your actions. Not the color of your skin.

Boomers: NOOOOOOOO!

its extremely boomer that both the generations preceding and following have consistently described boomers as entitled fucklords, and the boomer response is to marvel at how wrong everyone else is

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I'm glad boomers are finally getting the hate they deserve from people high on avocado toast.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

smarxist posted:

i hope he tweeted this literally right after the CIA black bagged him and renditioned him to some Baghdad black site

:pray:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

angerbeet posted:

why can't we just dance through the good times, squizzle?

why can't we just

what good times

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

dear meester gangster prez, kill all the snitches

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

Baby boomers who cried “Don’t Trust Anyone Over 30” during the Vietnam War should be scared to death of millennials. Because, at least among the Twitterati, they hate us — they really, really hate us.

Last week I took a beating from younger readers over an essay I wrote lamenting the decline of the “power lunch.” Although it only partly blamed the phenomenon on millennial habits — e.g., preferring avocado and kale to beef and baked potatoes — hundreds of thousands on Twitter either posted or retweeted such insults as “Old man yells at lunch table” (I’m 69), “What’s it like to be an antique?” and “We’re the ones doing the actual lunches while you’re having three-martini lunches.”

Millennials (and to some extent their Gen-X and Gen-Z brethren) hate their elders with a ferocity never before seen in our culture. Egged on by the media-savvy likes of 16-year-old Greta Thunberg, they blame prolonged heat waves on boomers who supposedly stood by and cheered as the Earth went up in flames. The phrase “OK BOOMER” has now become young people’s “repeated retort to the problem of older people who just don’t get it,” marking “the end of friendly generational relations,” The New York Times declared last week. According to the article, a teen designer has already sold $10,000 worth of sweatshirts with the “OK BOOMER” slogan repeated many times on the front, ending with the line, “Have a terrible day.”

Generation gaps will always be with us. Historian Marc Wortman found a generational split over sending young men off to war way back in 1941. But unlike those of us who came of age in the 1960s-early 1970s, who merely disapproved of our elders’ “colonialist” wars and shag rugs, millennials (born between 1980-1994) can’t stand the air we boomers breathe.

Too many millennials whine that their complacent elders bequeathed them a rotten America and a rotten world — economic malaise that will leave them with lousier lives than their parents and a planet on fire from climate change. But if they spent more time studying actual history, which can’t easily be found on iPhones, they’d know that boomers were, and remain, the most socially and environmentally conscious generation America ever has ever known. Maybe too much so — our universities’ overwhelmingly “progressive” agendas originated in the 1960s and have become more dominant ever since.

For all our deep divisions, the United States is an immeasureably more open, diverse and tolerant society than it was in the 1950s. Boomers also won the Cold War against Communist tyranny and along the way brought us unprecedented prosperity and technological innovation. The latter includes the made-in-USA digital revolution that brought forth the gadgets without which millennials couldn’t get out of bed.

While some millennials are truly committed to constructive change, many more seem to be upset mainly because they have to “work too hard.” Their lust to become CEOs at 25 without first paying their dues or even learning the business is hilariously satirized on “The Millennials,” a “Saturday Night Live” segment where a vapid young woman demands a promotion after three days on the job.

‘Millennials hate their elders with a ferocity never before seen in our culture’
Plenty of ambitious, future-focused millennials work their hearts out at taxing, low-paying jobs. But many “working” members of their generation wear their resentment on their un-ironed sleeves.

They’re out to lunch in a different way. They seem allergic to using the phone, or even waiting on customers. A stoned Starbucks clerk, after asking me to endlessly repeat my order for a grande coffee, then repeating it to himself, asked me, “What were you having?” The zoned-out guy at Duane Reade took a $5 bill from me and inexplicably asked me what my phone number was — to the amused tittering of decidedly older customers in line behind me.

There’s no question that many younger Americans face challenging economic conditions. Despite record-high employment, many new jobs are low-paying, short-term, lacking in benefits and are subject to instant termination without warning.

Student loans, which many recipients think should be forgiven, may indeed cost more than they did when I was in college.

But is it really that much more? Despite horror stories about six-figure debt, college grads owed an average $29,200 for student loans in 2018, according to the nonprofit Institute for College Access & Success. That’s barely more than the $4,000 I owed when I graduated in 1971 — which was $25,249 adjusted for inflation in 2019 dollars.

How did I pay it off? Rather than expect instant transport into the corridors of corporate power, I, like most of my friends, worked my butt off in backbreaking, sometimes dangerous jobs that offered no more guarantees or benefits than many companies confer today.

Maybe today’s young workers who resent lunching at their desks would prefer busing tables in a high-volume steakhouse under merciless, slave-driving owners, instead?

This is one hell of a desperate suicide note.

Legalize euthanasia.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

im the whistle blower bitch. come and get me

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

holy lol

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1190738403270316032

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ok boomer

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bethamphetamine posted:

This is one hell of a desperate suicide note.

Legalize euthanasia.

Guillotine

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The whistleblower is one of Trump's multiple personalities.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

who dares face the power of my whistle

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

lets all go out marching with whistles around our necks, in solidarity. and blow them in unison

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

therefore send not to know for whom the whistle blows
it blows for thee

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

The whistleblower is one of Trump's multiple personalities.

Turns out the treason was coming from the stable genius

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

briefed...like a DOG!

trump wrestling nwith a dog trying to put his diaper onit

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Last week I took a beating from younger readers over an essay I wrote lamenting the decline of the “power lunch.” Although it only partly blamed the phenomenon on millennial flaws...

#MeBoom

Please tweet using the hashtag #MeBoom to describe all the things Millenials are ruining for you and everyone else important and not lazy.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
https://twitter.com/cjcmichel/status/1190733067742306306

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/JamilSmith/status/1078701404854734848?s=19

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lol i got followed on twitter by the actor who played scut farkus in A Christmas Story.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Three of President Trump’s top advisers met with him in the Oval Office in May, determined to convince him that the new Ukrainian leader was an ally deserving of U.S. support.

They had barely begun their pitch when Trump unloaded on them, according to current and former U.S. officials familiar with the meeting. In Trump’s mind, the officials said, Ukraine’s entire leadership had colluded with the Democrats to undermine his 2016 presidential campaign.

“They tried to take me down,” Trump railed.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/bdbanddr/status/1190741224350797827

gotta put obstacles in the way of touchy-feely president

joe biden should wear a 50 gallon terracotta planter of crocus and azaleas around his neck at all times

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

But the harder they pushed in the Oval Office, the more Trump resisted.

“They are horrible, corrupt people,” Trump told them.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

“I would like for you to do us a favor,” Trump told Zelensky, according to a transcript of the call.

it wasnt a transcript. just more fake news.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol i got followed on twitter by the actor who played scut farkus in A Christmas Story.

scut knew that ralphie was boug

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

gently caress me in the wedass

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Squizzle posted:

therefore send not to know for whom the whistle blows
it blows for thee

look at this reading chump

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Squizzle posted:

its extremely boomer that both the generations preceding and following have consistently described boomers as entitled fucklords, and the boomer response is to marvel at how wrong everyone else is

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Spergin Morlock posted:

did you know they didn't have the rights to his image because they never got the papers signed so they had to recall The Christmas Story board game. Trmpf!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

did you know they didn't have the rights to his image because they never got the papers signed so they had to recall The Christmas Story board game. Trmpf!

i did not. lmao

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Inside the administration, Trump’s top advisers debated the origins of his ill-feeling. Some argued that Trump saw Ukraine as an impediment to better U.S. relations with Russian President Vladi­mir Putin, who was angry about U.S. sanctions imposed on Moscow for its annexation of Crimea and for the Kremlin’s ongoing support of pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine.

At the time of Trump’s U.N. meeting with Poroshenko, U.S. officials were debating whether to sell antitank weapons to the Ukrainians. In the previous administration, President Barack Obama had decided against the sale, worrying that it would make the conflict bloodier.

Trump’s entire national security Cabinet unanimously supported it. But Trump hesitated. “He kept saying it . . . wasn’t worth pissing off Russia and what a bad country Ukraine was,” said the former senior White House official.

Trump told his top advisers that “everyone” was telling him not to do it because it would anger Russia, the former official said. In fact, his entire team was advising the opposite. After months of delay, Trump approved the sale of the weapons in December 2017.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

President Alzheimer's

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

president dumpass tpunk

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

In the end, most U.S. officials agreed that Trump’s anger with Ukraine, like many of his grievances, was connected with the 2016 election and his feeling that Ukraine was responsible for the humiliating fall of Paul Manafort, Trump’s former campaign chairman. Trump’s hatred, they concluded, was ingrained, irrational and possibly irreversible.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Zyla posted:

ok

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Zyla posted:

:weedass:

Rah!