Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm watching Age of Ultron as I type and the editing and camera work is abysmal. Who actually like action scenes where you can't see what's going on because you cut your shots on a frame by frame basis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I would never have thought about Pacific Rim again for good or ill if I didn’t see it constantly coming up on CD. It’s the C+/B minus-est movie ever made.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

edit: double post

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 3, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

edit: triple post

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 3, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

edit: QUAD POST!!!

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 3, 2019

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I think you glitched out

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh hey, speaking of Gundam, Gundam Narrative is a good contender. It takes a good story and destroys it with the most baffling pacing and editing choices I've ever seen.

It's based off a novel and I'm assuming the novel happens largely in chronological order. But when they were doing the adaptation they were like, we can't make a movie that has no robot action in the first half and is almost all robot action in the second half. People will be bored and then tired. So they diced it up, it jumps back and forth between robot action and the stuff that you need to know to understand why the robot action is important. The final product is a completely jumbled mess that resolves character arcs almost before they're set up, and breaks exciting action scenes for flashbacks that come so late into a story that assumes you already know this information so the audience has already had to do the work of figuring it out for themself.

If you work out what was going on, it's a story about a woman who feels like she betrayed two different adopted families and goes on this quest for a white whale to try to make it up to both of them at the same time. It's actually really compelling, in theory. But the movie is just jumping back and forth between robot fights that have no emotional stakes and orphanage scenes that feel like an interruption from the robot rights.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Since a lot of comic book movies have come up, first thing that popped in my head was Green Lantern.

I don't know how you take "intergallactic space cops" with modern cgi to handle the ring powers and somehow manage to make it boring. Corny, cheesy, silly...I was prepared for any of that but I certainly didn't expect a GL movie to be dull. I can't remember a damned thing about it.

And without trying to start a bunch of poo poo, and staying on comic books, BvS was the last movie I can remember walking out on so there's that. I got as far as the beginning of the Doomsday battle and had seen enough. I sort of "walked out" on The Witch (turned the dvd off) because it wasn't scary but mainly because I couldn't understand a word anyone was loving saying.

Jurassic World was an abomination so that's a good pick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gundam Narrative is just Gundam Unicorn Parts 8-9 and expects you to go in knowing what happened in that story even while it tries (and kinda fails) to be standalone.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gundam Narrative is just Gundam Unicorn Parts 8-9 and expects you to go in knowing what happened in that story even while it tries (and kinda fails) to be standalone.

Oh god, that reminded me that it ended with a completely unnecessary Banagher cameo, and acts like it's the biggest thing in the world. I liked Unicorn, I even thought Banagher was a decent character. But I can't imagine anyone on earth being excited for the return of Banagher.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Someone mentioning Despicable Me 3 reminded me of how much I disliked DM2. I kind of went in knowing the complaints some had about it's story but I figured that it would at least be a little overblown but nope, it's basically a movie about how a child needs a father AND a mother and how you as a single parent need to get married so they have one. It is force, never really justified and just bizarrely regressive. It's also so counter to the first one, which certainly isn't a masterpiece, but it kind of is compared to the sequel.

Boxtrolls had similar issues, though that was kind of weirder because the initial teaser was all about how families come in all shapes and sizes but they're still families and somehow the movie fails to deliver that message and kind of goes in the opposite direction with the two lead children going back to their lovely, neglectful parents with the male lead even leaving the family that actually raised him to do so. Then there was the fact that the villain's evil goal is to be excepted by the upper class, even though he is from the lower class. Oh and the movie mocks him for dressing as a woman.

Laika's first two movies were so good too...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sponges posted:

Pacific Rim is fine.

Charlie Hunnam really drags that movie down.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
I don't know if I'd call Pacific Rim one of the worst but it's absolutely a film I've become less and less enthused by as time's gone on and the issues with it have only become more apparent.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

sponges posted:

I guess it’s no Power Rangers

Ugh, that movie pissed me off so much. The cast was great, but the story and soundtrack was poo poo. All I wanted to do was see teenagers with attitude kick evil alien rear end, and they turned it into a commercial for Krispy Kreme.

(Although, I did enjoy seeing Rita Repulsa chill in the Krispy Kreme as Goldar coagulated into being)

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Meg. That movie is absolutely terrible, and sucks China's dick so hard that it made me gag as I watched it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The dude who triple posted is right, Pacific Rim is like a quintessential C+ film. What makes it supremely disappointing is that it's Guillermo fuckin' del Toro given a massive budget to direct a bunch of big robots and kaiju, and there's exactly like one decently designed Jaeger and the kaiju all pretty boring, which is baffling and kind of heartbreaking.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The only good thing about Pacific Rim is Ron Perlman, but Ron is good in everything he does. Don't @ me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bogus Adventure posted:

The only good thing about Pacific Rim is Ron Perlman, but Ron is good in everything he does. Don't @ me.

Charlie Day is also pretty good in it

Everything else sucks tho

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

axelblaze posted:

I'll give you him and the other mad scientist, but yeah. The rest of that movie was dumb as hell, and I say this as a del Toro fan.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

axelblaze posted:

The soundtrack is :black101: Especially the main theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vU7XqToZso

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That’s exactly the thing. On paper it should be amazing. And hell seeing individual parts listed out it’s intriguing me because, drat, yeah, that all sounds awesome. But it ends up being ok at best.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s pretty awesome at best

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

teagone posted:

Pacific Rim is my "best movies of the 2010s" list.

i had a dude put two movies I'd give five out of five stars to in his top 5 worst movies of the decade, honestly if you don't like at least one movie that a lot of people virulently hate, what are you doing in this forum?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

DC Murderverse posted:

i had a dude put two movies I'd give five out of five stars to in his top 5 worst movies of the decade, honestly if you don't like at least one movie that a lot of people virulently hate, what are you doing in this forum?

this, but also i wouldn't say i hate pacific rim. it's a film that wants very badly to be innocent and ends up being ugly underneath the surface

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

axelblaze posted:

Boxtrolls had similar issues, though that was kind of weirder because the initial teaser was all about how families come in all shapes and sizes but they're still families and somehow the movie fails to deliver that message and kind of goes in the opposite direction with the two lead children going back to their lovely, neglectful parents with the male lead even leaving the family that actually raised him to do so. Then there was the fact that the villain's evil goal is to be excepted by the upper class, even though he is from the lower class. Oh and the movie mocks him for dressing as a woman.

OH, gently caress. You reminded me. This, I change my answer to this. I hate that movie with seething hatred.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Captain Marvel..... How in the world did it need to exist? And after they decided it needed to be made, they wrote themselves in a corner concerning the Avengers. It got so stupid they needed her to piss off for 90% percent of endgame otherwise there were no stakes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Run Pray Love?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Captain Marvel..... How in the world did it need to exist? And after they decided it needed to be made, they wrote themselves in a corner concerning the Avengers. It got so stupid they needed her to piss off for 90% percent of endgame otherwise there were no stakes.

i think you will find it created a Brand with exciting possibilities for synergy with key corporate partnerships

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I liked Captain Marvel. After Wonder Woman and Lady Ghostbusters I was surprised to see a big budget blockbuster that marketed itself as "this is an important movie for women! come see it to trigger the CHUDs!" actually have a kinda feminist message.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Crimes of Grendelwald is an utterly wretched film and easily the worst thing ever connected to Harry Potter until Rowling inevitably tops her own nonsense in an attempt to keep her franchise relevant

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah, I mean I love found footage. I am probably one of the few people you will find in existence that, while not giving it a 5/5, will defend The Devil Inside, a found footage movie that is as close to be considered objectively bad as a movie as that type can get.

Prometheus is easily a 5/5 for me though (Covenant is like a 3.5 or 4).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Man I loved Alien Covenant, even more than Prometheus which I thought was very flawed. There's a nastiness and pessimism to Ridley Scott's sci-fi that I don't think many contemporary directors really have anymore.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The only thing I didn't like about Alien Covenant is that they didn't have Pulse Rifles. That dropped it down to a 4.5/10 for me, personally. If it did have Pulse Rifles? I'd say 7.5/10, maybe 8.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
With Covenant it's just the last act is kind of weak so that knocks it down a bunch. Still likes it quite a bit though.

What I do like about Scott is Prometheus is a movie full of people treating science like it's religion and getting hosed up because of it while The Martian was the opposite, showing a bunch of professionals with clear goals based on things they could prove performing miracles. Hell, iirc, The Martian even has it's title appear in the reverse way that the Alien films do (the whole title appears and then quickly disappears line by line). The Martian to me always felt like his response to people that hated Prometheus assuming that he just didn't know poo poo about science and people acting logically rather than those being intentional decisions.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, I don't love PR but I can't hate it either. It's an almost bizarrely gorgeous movie with some really fantastic action sequences, and I mean, that's what I'm there for.

It's like Godzilla: KotM. The connective tissue between the cool parts isn't great, but the high points of it are NBA-Jam-style on loving fire.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So my wife had on Sex and the City 2 for a while while she was getting ready to go out and it was on in the background while I did some work.

Thats gotta be up there in the top 10. Just super racist, tone deaf, entitled, and with the most uncharismatic and unlikable cast.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

axelblaze posted:

With Covenant it's just the last act is kind of weak so that knocks it down a bunch. Still likes it quite a bit though.

What I do like about Scott is Prometheus is a movie full of people treating science like it's religion and getting hosed up because of it while The Martian was the opposite, showing a bunch of professionals with clear goals based on things they could prove performing miracles. Hell, iirc, The Martian even has it's title appear in the reverse way that the Alien films do (the whole title appears and then quickly disappears line by line). The Martian to me always felt like his response to people that hated Prometheus assuming that he just didn't know poo poo about science and people acting logically rather than those being intentional decisions.
Oh wow, I either forgot or never noticed The Martian was directed by Scott. It's probably his best movie in years, but I have to say both Prometheus and Alien aren't that bad either. Somewhat disappointing at most.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

The only thing I didn't like about Alien Covenant is that they didn't have Pulse Rifles. That dropped it down to a 4.5/10 for me, personally. If it did have Pulse Rifles? I'd say 7.5/10, maybe 8.

We already had pulse rifles.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

We already had pulse rifles.

Yeah? And?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I think the problem with Pacific Rim can be summed up as "Charlie Hunnam".

People dunk on actors like Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney but this dude is far worse. Movie had Idris Elba but we waste screentime on this soggy piece of cardboard.

I'm wondering if it was like a YA novel thing, where the protagonist is very bland to make it easy for the audience to project themselves onto them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If I take my lowest rated of the decade and take out the comedies (highly subjective) and the DTV dreck (feels like cheating) I end up with (in chronological order):

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
The Giver (2014)
Jurassic World (2015)
The Circle (2017)
Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
Hotel Artemis (2018)
The Predator (2018)

I feel pretty good about this list! I actively hate most of these movies (except the Circle, which is kind of adorably bad), and the ones that are just kind of tedious (Jurrassic World and Hotel Artemis) are still movies that I'd never want to watch again.

Note: I think both Machete movies are also really bad, but I was feeling generous and threw them in the comedy pile.