Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisBunkCannotSwim
Sep 17, 2010

Get in the bin.

Rarity posted:

Oh yeah, someone asked about doing admin for Labour? Whoever it was, are you in Bristol? If so I'll email the organiser, if not I'll see if they fan put you in touch with your local team.

That was me, thank you! I am, Bristol West to be exact. Not sure what the best why to pass on details is without getting doxxed? If you have PMs, I guess I could maybe bite the bullet and throw Lowtax some spine coins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HorseLord posted:

European wiring standards are completely poo poo. The only rooms in the house that have to have an earth are the kitchen and bathroom, but it doesn't matter because the plugs can go in upside down and reverse live and neutral anyway. Lighting and sockets in a room are on the same radial. The sockets themselves take up the same amount of room but are more difficult to wire because they're made up of more parts, which are also somewhat fragile, so half of them get bent inside and you have to slam plugs into them with your palm or sometimes a hammer. You can't hammer the little two pin ones, so if the socket is like this you just have to go find another place to plug it in.

They also had the genius idea that every socket on an extension lead should be at 45 degree angles, and where the wire comes out of a plug is 50/50 the top or the side. So if you've got to plug in a computer and a lamp and something that uses a wall wart you have to spend ages figuring out the correct order and position to plug them in. It's a really really boring and annoying version of the cube that makes the hellraiser guy show up.

Also for some reason they think it's acceptable to backfeed power from a solar panel into the wall sockets.
And yet they still haven't managed to stumble on the brain genius scheme that you can have wiring where one of the neutrals falls out and the whole thing keeps going as normal, untestable from the socket, but with 30A going over a 20A rated cable.

(This was the case with my ring main, the first socket from the consumer unit only had one neutral attached, I had no idea until I redid some of the wiring and had it off the wall.)

Europlugs have their faults, the new Type N plugs being introduced into Brazil and South Africa are better than both Europlugs and UKplugs, but anything that cares that you're reversing live and neutral should have three pins in a configuration with no rotational symmetry, and anything that doesn't doesn't matter, and the ring main system is just an overly elaborate joke.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1190674950853742592

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

ThisBunkCannotSwim posted:

That was me, thank you! I am, Bristol West to be exact. Not sure what the best why to pass on details is without getting doxxed? If you have PMs, I guess I could maybe bite the bullet and throw Lowtax some spine coins...

You could always contact her via PM through the UKMT discord - https://discord.gg/QErneZT

(plus send lowtax some £££)

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

And yet they still haven't managed to stumble on the brain genius scheme that you can have wiring where one of the neutrals falls out and the whole thing keeps going as normal, untestable from the socket, but with 30A going over a 20A rated cable.

(This was the case with my ring main, the first socket from the consumer unit only had one neutral attached, I had no idea until I redid some of the wiring and had it off the wall.)

Europlugs have their faults, the new Type N plugs being introduced into Brazil and South Africa are better than both Europlugs and UKplugs, but anything that cares that you're reversing live and neutral should have three pins in a configuration with no rotational symmetry, and anything that doesn't doesn't matter, and the ring main system is just an overly elaborate joke.

Is there anything I can look at on Type N? Just from a photo it looks to have the same bendy pin troubles as european stuff. In general I'll say that UK spec stuff wired up radially (like in a new build) is massively better and safer than any of the horrors I've found in europe. I mean seriously, they put power into the house by plugging the solar panels into a normal wall socket. It's a loving nightmare place when you have to do DIY.

They also like using what's basically garden hosepipe for permanent indoor plumbing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao perfection, close the internet, we're done

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Chad is a very muscular and sexy country I hear

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Thanks to whoever recommended donoteat's series Cities Skylines: Power, Politics, & Planning

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwkSQD3vqK1S1NiHIxxF2g_Uy-LbbcR84

It's super interesting and owns

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Eschenique posted:

This can't possibly be real.

Goddammit for a moment there I almost humanised a tory.

Eschenique posted:

They're tree kittens :mad:

This is your monthly reminder that grey squirrels are a pestilence, a pox, a horde of ravening parasites that devastate local woodlands and bird populations. Just like actual kittens, I guess.

Also, again, if you ever manage to catch one it's actually illegal to NOT kill it.

Anyway how 'bout them super rich huh.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Braggart posted:

Lib Dems in being shortsighted and greedy and taking their support for granted shocker ;)

Also my local Lib Dems have been forced to step aside for Anna Soubry because ***remain alliance***

They are, uh, not happy about this

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

RockyB posted:

Also, again, if you ever manage to catch one it's actually illegal to NOT kill it.

Suddenly Hyde Park has become a much darker place

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HorseLord posted:

Is there anything I can look at on Type N? Just from a photo it looks to have the same bendy pin troubles as european stuff. In general I'll say that UK spec stuff wired up radially is massively better and safer than any of the horrors I've found in europe. I mean seriously, they put power into the house by plugging the solar panels into a normal wall socket. It's a loving nightmare place when you have to do DIY.

They also like using what's basically garden hosepipe for permanent indoor plumbing.
It is basically a Europlug with a raised third pin for things that you need three pins for, but that gives it a triangular rigidity that you don't get with Swedenplugs or any of the two pin Europlugs, so you're a lot less likely to have bent pins on big stuff, while still allowing for light duty two pin things.

The UK plug (either the new square pin or the original thicc round pin) is pretty great for high current appliances, but I do think it'd be cool if they'd gone with the plan of shaver plugs for radios and other light duty stuff. I've never noticed a problem with shaver plug pins bending.

And yes, radial wiring, breakers instead of fuses, and proper sockets with RCDs for bathrooms instead of unprotected fuckets that are half measures.

e: A release on it. Injection molding solved a lot of problems with bendy complexity apparently.

RockyB posted:

This is your monthly reminder that grey squirrels are a pestilence, a pox, a horde of ravening parasites that devastate local woodlands and bird populations. Just like actual kittens, I guess.

Also it's illegal to buy, sell, import, export, distribute, or manufacture grey squirrels, with reduced penalties for simple possession.

They used the drug act template on squirrels.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 2, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

RockyB posted:

gently caress the police

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

WINNING HERE.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

MikeCrotch posted:

Also my local Lib Dems have been forced to step aside for Anna Soubry because ***remain alliance***

They are, uh, not happy about this

Wait could you explain more? I thought CUK just sort of stopped surely Lib Dems aren't stepping down for CUKs.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Borrovan posted:

gently caress the police

quote:

The grey squirrel is regarded as an invasive non-native species following its inclusion under Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Country Act 1981. Under Schedule 9 of the WCA, it is illegal to release a grey squirrel into the wild, or allow one to escape, without a license granted by Natural England. This means if you trap one, you are obliged to humanely dispatch it.

Offences under section 14 carry a maximum penalty of a £5,000 fine and/or 6 months imprisonment on summary conviction (i.e. at Magistrates’ Court) and an unlimited fine (i.e. whatever the court feels to be commensurate with the offence) and/or 2 years imprisonment on indictment (i.e. at Crown Court).

That's right, it's illegal to allow the bastards to escape.

Now how do we get billionaires added to schedule 9 of the WCA.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Firos posted:

WINNING HERE.

please don't demean romania like this tia

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Hey twisto, I have a weird question. Do you know if it's possible to get UK extension leads with both BS 1363 square 3 pin sockets and BS 4573 two pin shaver sockets? I can't see any reason why you couldn't, because they're both legal socket types, but all I can find are the old BS 546 style ones

which as I'm neither in South Africa nor India nor the 1930s aren't very useful even though they're still allowed here, or the Chinese 'universal socket' style ones

which fit all major worldwide plugs and most good paper clips and lol no thanks.

Probably not because until recently you weren't allowed to combine the two on the same circuit, and even though you can now (I think the change was some point in the late 90s - whenever RCDs became mandatory) there's not really a lot of applications for such a thing.

You're probably better off just buying a conventional block and a handful of adapters for whatever you want to plug in. This also lets you put an appropriate fuse for the device in, too - anything with a two-pin socket really shouldn't be drawing more than a couple of amps and the 13A fuse most blocks are fitted with is more than enough juice to let the magic smoke out of whatever you want to plug in.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

ThomasPaine posted:

please don't demean romania like this tia

Remainia.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Braggart posted:

Jaeluni Asjil for Bus Commissar. They have good and practical ideas, and a wealth of experience to draw on.

Bus Absolute Dictator of the Universe, please.

I have billions of bus ideas (well general public transport ideas).

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Alctel posted:

The common factor among all these is first past the post, it's a garbage electoral system that worked fine when you had two parties but breaks down with anything more ana makes it virtually impossible to get a new party off the ground

In Canada we had 6 major parties running, all under fptp and as a result the equivalent of the lib dems keeps winning cos everyone's terrified of the conservatives and 'strategic votes'

Over 30% of people strategically voted last time, it's really depressing

Just FYI Australia doesn't use FPTP, we have preferential voting in the lower house and proportional voting in the upper house. We're just terrible racists and assholes and vote for the same while democracy steadily erodes around us.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

OwlFancier posted:

I'm also not really sure that adopting the opposition's policies during an election campaign is necessarily the most effective way to sell yourself as a party.

Shh! Cummies thinks he's stealing a march on us!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably not because until recently you weren't allowed to combine the two on the same circuit, and even though you can now (I think the change was some point in the late 90s - whenever RCDs became mandatory) there's not really a lot of applications for such a thing.

You're probably better off just buying a conventional block and a handful of adapters for whatever you want to plug in. This also lets you put an appropriate fuse for the device in, too - anything with a two-pin socket really shouldn't be drawing more than a couple of amps and the 13A fuse most blocks are fitted with is more than enough juice to let the magic smoke out of whatever you want to plug in.
drat, that's a shame. Power cubes and bodged Europlug adapters with 1A fuses it is I guess.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What's your thoughts on battery trolleybuses?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Robodog posted:

Just FYI Australia doesn't use FPTP, we have preferential voting in the lower house and proportional voting in the upper house. We're just terrible racists and assholes and vote for the same while democracy steadily erodes around us.
Well I can't think of any other unifying common factor that would explain why the UK, USA, Canada & Australia are so universally terrible :thunk:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Well I can't think of any other unifying common factor that would explain why the UK, USA, Canada & Australia are so universally terrible :thunk:
Don't spoil it.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

feedmegin posted:

If you emigrated there from the UK less than 15 years ago you are entitled to a vote in your old constituency.

Munin posted:

Definitely. I live in the US after passing through a couple of other places but make sure I get my vote in. One of the things which make it awkward is that postal votes can take ages to get out (and can be to late). Since you have a sister in London though you can appoint her as your proxy and she can vote on your behalf.

The application is quick, easy, and electronic these days:
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Thanks both but don't worry, I registered for a proxy vote a couple of months ago!

I do think that they have to be able to vote in your most recent constituency though? Or can they do a proxy postal vote??

I just wish I was here to do more campaigning/direct conversation with people. I'll just have to get little sis to be my proxy gobshite refusing to let people get away with terrible opinions.

Robot Mil fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 3, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

You know I just noticed that ronya is almost an acronym of Corbyn.

Makes u think

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?
I was quite surprised to see this enormous painting of Lenin in the Falmouth branch of The Lounge.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

drat, that's a shame. Power cubes and bodged Europlug adapters with 1A fuses it is I guess.

What's your thoughts on battery trolleybuses?

Do you mean the ones that use overhead cables or the ones that don't?

I guess I prefer the ones that don't use overhead cables probably mostly for aesthetic reasons (strangely, because normally I am 'function over form' while my arty sister is 'form over function'). But I do remember some major incidents when I worked for a large popular national transport infrastructure company when overhead lines got wrecked in various ways.

I don't know too much about the batteries in these buses and how they're charged though.

I like this one:

source: https://www.nwnewsnetwork.org/post/battery-powered-electric-buses-hit-streets-northwest

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 3, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I'm also not really sure that adopting the opposition's policies during an election campaign is necessarily the most effective way to sell yourself as a party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I mean the ones that may use cables for charging along major thoroughfares or at termini but can travel a number of miles outside of that based on the charge in their batteries, it's always seemed like the most practical EV technology to me for the Midlands and North public transport but may have major holes in it.

I like that little bus. :)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
wings over scotland has always been garbage but idg why they appear to have completely jettisoned the whole indy thing now to focus on out and out transphobia

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/1190766009940140033?s=20

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Vitamin P posted:

Wait could you explain more? I thought CUK just sort of stopped surely Lib Dems aren't stepping down for CUKs.

Nope! The TIGFC and The Independents are still very much going, and are part of the "remain alliance" between them, plaid cymru, greens and lib dems. Essentially there is an agreement that remain parties will not run against each other I avoid splitting the vote. The TIGCUKs have big enough egos that they are refusing to stand aside for other parties.

As always with these things they sound great on paper but when you actually have to face the fact of having your party not run in an election so you can tell all your voters to vote for someone who was your total enemy a couple of years ago, it becomes a lot less appealing.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

We literally already did, the swing we achieved in the last election was bigger than 'the Blair effect' swing was, the difference was we were starting from the lovely position Blairism left us in.

Sorry, I forgot something when I replied to this post before. By Blair effect I wasn't referring just to an increase in vote share, but also his successes in broadening the appeal of Labour to the establishment, getting business onside and quieting some of the fears of the elite by being aggressively neoliberal. I'm suggesting that we can achieve that without making the compromises New Labour did, because business has no loving choice :getin:

But I don't think we can emulate his success in getting The Sun onside.

Nor should we :commissar:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I guess I prefer the ones that don't use overhead cables probably mostly for aesthetic reasons (strangely, because normally I am 'function over form' while my arty sister is 'form over function'). But I do remember some major incidents when I worked for a large popular national transport infrastructure company when overhead lines got wrecked in various ways.

I don't know too much about the batteries in these buses and how they're charged though.

I like this one:

source: https://www.nwnewsnetwork.org/post/battery-powered-electric-buses-hit-streets-northwest

That looks, uh, rather unsafe for the legs of any poor pedestrian who gets hit by it. At least it's already saying sorry.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes, I had noticed :D

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Scikar posted:

That looks, uh, rather unsafe for the legs of any poor pedestrian who gets hit by it. At least it's already saying sorry.

Other designs are available:
Solaris urbino 12:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

I'm tired so I'm going to bed now, but I leave you with two quotes:

"Never interrupt your opponent while he's busy making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

"Don't bother interrupting me, I don't make mistakes." - Domino Cummies, to Napoleon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

A friend posted a momentum thing about the NHS on FB.
One of his friends made the (not intended sarcastically) comment that they were voting BXP or Tory because 'the NHS is fine, nothing is going to happen to it'.
I just felt a bit sick.
:smdh: