Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

bird with big dick posted:

Any treeborists able to identify this tree? I'm guessing Austrian Pine based on it being one of the recommended types of trees to be planted in this area based on soil and climate (northern nevada, full sun, clayey soil) and whatnot but it's mostly just a guess. I think the needles are in clumps of 2 but that's based off the photos, not an in person examination.

I really only need to know the approximate mature height of it, for a project I'm working on.

Looks more like this to me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_contorta

Other link: https://www.conifers.org/pi/Pinus_contorta.php

Either way, both get big as hell? If its not kept as a shrub they get like 150 ft tall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Any treeborists able to identify this tree? I'm guessing Austrian Pine based on it being one of the recommended types of trees to be planted in this area based on soil and climate (northern nevada, full sun, clayey soil) and whatnot but it's mostly just a guess. I think the needles are in clumps of 2 but that's based off the photos, not an in person examination.

I really only need to know the approximate mature height of it, for a project I'm working on.

It is a pine, probably a ponderosa, Jeffrey, or lodgepole pine. Tree ID of conifers is a bit difficult from just a picture and pines in particular can be hard to tell apart when young and some of them hybridize pretty freely with other pine species to make like longleaf/slash hybrid pines that aren't quite either. A tree ID book/website focused on the western US is what you need-the ways to tell most of those trees apart when they are immature involve counting needles per cluster and details of the growing tips and cones and stuff. Ponderosa and Jeffrey pines at least can get quite quite large-225'+ tall or more.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Plant beginner here, I could use some advice/talking-off-the-ledge with a few plants I've started with.

I have a few sansevieria, one of which I repotted into a larger, unglazed ceramic pot. The 4" nursery pot he was in was fine until he had two babies coming out, so I wanted to give them some room, so he's in like a 5.5" ceramic pot now. I'm now measuring his soil as dry after only 3-4 days, where before it was over a week between waterings. Is this normal for a ceramic pot? I know they can wick away moisture and are good for succulents, but will watering him this much cause issues for a snake plant?

I'm having the opposite problem with a second snake plant. I repotted him into a larger pot, again after he started growing a new plant, but now it's been five days and he's still measuring as completely wet for the whole of the soil. When I lifted out the plastic inner pot, which should be plenty of drainage, it was completely wet with condensation on the outside of it and there was a pool of water in the outer cachepot, which is also plastic. Could it be just too humid inside there? Should I repot him, or leave the inner pot out for a while to dry out?

Snake plants are supposed to be easy and I'm panicking, I don't want them to die. :saddowns:

Aule
Oct 16, 2019

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Plant beginner here, I could use some advice/talking-off-the-ledge with a few plants I've started with.

I have a few sansevieria, one of which I repotted into a larger, unglazed ceramic pot. The 4" nursery pot he was in was fine until he had two babies coming out, so I wanted to give them some room, so he's in like a 5.5" ceramic pot now. I'm now measuring his soil as dry after only 3-4 days, where before it was over a week between waterings. Is this normal for a ceramic pot? I know they can wick away moisture and are good for succulents, but will watering him this much cause issues for a snake plant?

I'm having the opposite problem with a second snake plant. I repotted him into a larger pot, again after he started growing a new plant, but now it's been five days and he's still measuring as completely wet for the whole of the soil. When I lifted out the plastic inner pot, which should be plenty of drainage, it was completely wet with condensation on the outside of it and there was a pool of water in the outer cachepot, which is also plastic. Could it be just too humid inside there? Should I repot him, or leave the inner pot out for a while to dry out?

Snake plants are supposed to be easy and I'm panicking, I don't want them to die. :saddowns:

I use a glazed terracotta pot for my Sansevieria, it’s soooo happy in it. I have to be careful with what plants I have in plastic pots, I almost killed my FLF in one, the have a habit of retaining water, so I found..

I water mine probably ever 10-14 days (Sansevieria) but not huge amounts, I don’t do full saturation waters for it

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Aule posted:

I use a glazed terracotta pot for my Sansevieria, it’s soooo happy in it. I have to be careful with what plants I have in plastic pots, I almost killed my FLF in one, the have a habit of retaining water, so I found..

I water mine probably ever 10-14 days (Sansevieria) but not huge amounts, I don’t do full saturation waters for it

I am doing full saturation and I'm still having to water the one in the terracotta pot every 3-4 days. Granted it DOES have two new growths coming out, and it's right under a bright grow light since I'm trying to get those babies going. Maybe I'm just turbo charging its water usage?

As for the one that's super wet, I'm definitely moving him to terracotta. I should just buy a bunch of those, I have a few succulents in the mail too that would be good in them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t keep sansevieria, but a plant needing water every three days wouldn’t concern me.

I think that’s actually a comfortable interval to have. I’ve had plants that I have to water daily in the summer and those concern me because I don’t think they every get as dry as they should, but they demonstrably suffered if I skipped a day.

I’m getting fungus gnats now in pots that I watered last Monday and I need to do something about that. Between the potting mix, the ambient humidity, and the young plants sipping water, there just isn’t enough moisture leaving the system. I would love it if they got dry in three days.

That’s bad.

I would repot with known good potting mix.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 4, 2019

Aule
Oct 16, 2019

I am doing full saturation and I'm still having to water the one in the terracotta pot every 3-4 days. Granted it DOES have two new growths coming out, and it's right under a bright grow light since I'm trying to get those babies going. Maybe I'm just turbo charging its water usage?

As for the one that's super wet, I'm definitely moving him to terracotta. I should just buy a bunch of those, I have a few succulents in the mail too that would be good in them.

Yeah the light and terracotta pot will probably be a good reason for why it’s drying so fast, terracotta are known for drawing out moisture / water pretty quickly :)

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Looks like P. densiflora / red pine. Though I think if you put an Austrian and Red pine next to each other I'd be hard pessed to tell you which is which. Getting a cone would help.

it's not contorta, ponderosa or lodgepole judging from the needles.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

It's probably worth mentioning that Sanserveria don't "need" to be watered as soon as the soil is dry. They're highly drought tolerant succulents, who will flourish on a thorough drenching every other week during their growth period and will tolerate months without water. They're ludicrously hardy plants, so will survive more water than most succulents, but I wouldn't feel compelled to keep watering it every 3-4 days.

Aule
Oct 16, 2019

elgarbo posted:

It's probably worth mentioning that Sanserveria don't "need" to be watered as soon as the soil is dry. They're highly drought tolerant succulents, who will flourish on a thorough drenching every other week during their growth period and will tolerate months without water. They're ludicrously hardy plants, so will survive more water than most succulents, but I wouldn't feel compelled to keep watering it every 3-4 days.

Yes! They also do well in low light conditions

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any plants you would all recommend that I can start growing during the Winter months in the UK? And is there a gardening thread for general questions related to gardening?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Qubee posted:

Any plants you would all recommend that I can start growing during the Winter months in the UK? And is there a gardening thread for general questions related to gardening?

From what I can tell this thread is more focused in nerding over plants, whereas https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672 is more focused on gardening practices

But you would need to specify what kind of plant are you talking about for either thread imo. This is going to be inside/outside? Ornamental or vegetable?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Everybody has given really solid advice about getting that one pot dry, which is 100% going to own that plant if it doesn’t get dried out soon. But these things are also tough as hell, I let one get hosed up by a hard freeze and it basically exploded, died down to the soil. Years later it has resurged and is like 1.5 feet tall, flowered twice this year

But even if it dies, look at it as a good learning opportunity, especially since it’s such an easy to replace plant. There’s many a dead soldier along the way to learning wtf you’re doing

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Oil of Paris posted:

From what I can tell this thread is more focused in nerding over plants, whereas https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672 is more focused on gardening practices

But you would need to specify what kind of plant are you talking about for either thread imo. This is going to be inside/outside? Ornamental or vegetable?

Outside, I have a small patch of soil that is bare and I would like to fill it with something. Vegetable seems perfect as it would give something back. I was planning on planting ornamental plants come Spring.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
If it’s outside in UK winter, I think any sort of new planting will get hosed up big time, imo especially vegetables (caveat: could be dead wrong about this, I don’t do anything edible).

If I was in your position, I would hold off on planting and instead use the winter to dig out the space for your bed, start improving the soil, and make whatever other arrangements you might need, ex. fence

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's a good time to plant garlic in the UK.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Qubee posted:

Outside, I have a small patch of soil that is bare and I would like to fill it with something. Vegetable seems perfect as it would give something back. I was planning on planting ornamental plants come Spring.

Plant Jersey cabbage and make some walking sticks.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

The typical neem oil + bit of soap mix for spider mites is too harsh for this succulent :saddowns:

I guess I need to buy a proper spray for them

Looks like the top is OK and it should come back, though

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

So my avocado seed had twinsies!

Do I have to separate them? When? How?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Pooper Trooper posted:

Can you? I’ve never sprouted em but I always assumed removing the sprout from the nut would kill it since they seem to build their roots around it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pooper Trooper posted:

You have a polyembryonic seed.

In a polyembryonic seed, one stalk will be a product of sexual reproduction. It’s a mutt. It might be best thing since the Hass, or it might be a tree that will produce lousy fruits. It’s probably something in‐between, not great, not terrible.

The other is presumably a good commercial cultivar.

If you several seedlings (or a seed with more than two stalks), you could let them grow out a little and try to discern which were the clones by factors like leaf shape, even smell. The ones that are all alike are the clones, obviously. The most unique stalk from each seed is the mutt.

If you don’t have other seedlings for comparison, the best you can do is prune the less vigorous stalk. You could attempt to separate them, but you might lose them both.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Platystemon posted:

You have a polyembryonic seed.

In a polyembryonic seed, one stalk will be a product of sexual reproduction. It’s a mutt. It might be best thing since the Hass, or it might be a tree that will produce lousy fruits. It’s probably something in‐between, not great, not terrible.

The other is presumably a good commercial cultivar.

If you several seedlings (or a seed with more than two stalks), you could let them grow out a little and try to discern which were the clones by factors like leaf shape, even smell. The ones that are all alike are the clones, obviously. The most unique stalk from each seed is the mutt.

If you don’t have other seedlings for comparison, the best you can do is prune the less vigorous stalk. You could attempt to separate them, but you might lose them both.

Oh hey, that's pretty neat actually. I'm not really planting them for their fruit, since from what I've read it's kind of a hit or miss for them to actually produce fruit. I just like their shape and foliage, and will be planting them in the garden when winter's over. I guess I'll leave them as they are amd see what comes out, I don't mind a few goofy branches. This is my second avocado plant, do you happen to know how far apart I should plant them in the ground?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How would y'all feel about a gang tag contest? Is that something that would spark some interest?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Jaded Burnout posted:

How would y'all feel about a gang tag contest? Is that something that would spark some interest?

I'm keen

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Perennial Pals ftw

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pooper Trooper posted:

Oh hey, that's pretty neat actually. I'm not really planting them for their fruit, since from what I've read it's kind of a hit or miss for them to actually produce fruit. I just like their shape and foliage, and will be planting them in the garden when winter's over. I guess I'll leave them as they are amd see what comes out, I don't mind a few goofy branches. This is my second avocado plant, do you happen to know how far apart I should plant them in the ground?

Plant them at least two metres apart, and that’s if you’re willing to prune them.

The major cause of fruiting issues is that avocados have a weird pollination scheme, but they can be manually pollinated.

There’s another trick involving spraying the tree with dilute honey, which causes bees to flock to it, apparently in such numbers that they’ll transfer pollen despite the tree’s attempts to prevent self-pollination.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Perennial Pals ftw
Flower Buds?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rose Buds

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Compost comrades

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alright, I'll do the thing.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Etiolated ladies

Edit: Farmer Maggots

Pooper Trooper fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 5, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gang tag contest!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903115

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I work for a gc and during the course of a demolition I walked away with maybe 20-25 very established lavender plants. They were tore from the ground pretty aggressively and lost a lot of root mass but they’ve been in the ground for 5 months and seem to be fine now. Looking at what would compliment them for the next couple years and was thinking a white/crimson clover mix would keep the areas weeds down and be pretty low maintenance. Does this make good sense watering/needs wise?

The earth around my home is hot poo poo and almost every single plant I have requires a good deal of work to keep alive, let alone thrive...

Aule
Oct 16, 2019

Pooper Trooper posted:

I never have success with avo seeds

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Alright, so not quite sure what plant thread to post this in. Please let me know if there's a better one.

I'm looking at redoing our house plant setup for winter and was wanting to try to convert a glass curio cabinet type of thing into a home for plants. Something like one of these.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fabrikoer-glass-door-cabinet-blue-00409032/
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/klingsbo-glass-door-cabinet-black-clear-glass-60128562/
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/milsbo-glass-door-cabinet-white-00396416/

The problem is that we don't have great places for natural light, especially in the winter. I'm trying to figure out the lighting situation and I know that most lights need to be at least a couple of feet off the plant for it to get proper light. Additionally, if I have plants on each level of the shelf I imagine I'll need to put lights on top of each plant so it's not getting blocked from the plant above it. Lastly, I'm not sure exactly what plants would work well in this type of setup.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a project like this? I'm not a great gardener but I feel like this is something I could do with a little guidance and it sure would be nice to have some green stuff around during winter.

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions on this. It may have got lost on the last page so I just wanted to give it one more shot before I ~~~wing it~~~

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions on this. It may have got lost on the last page so I just wanted to give it one more shot before I ~~~wing it~~~

I don't have much direct advice to offer, but on general principles it sounds like your idea should work. I bought several of these LED lamps and these holders a few years ago for overwintering my Meyer lemon tree indoors. They are definitely utilitarian-looking, but they keep the tree happy and producing fruit, and they stay cool.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you want the lights to look good for display but still provide the plants with what they need, look into the lamps aquarium hobbyists use for planted tanks.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
What plants are you trying to grow in there? Do they have high light requirements?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mcqueen posted:

I work for a gc and during the course of a demolition I walked away with maybe 20-25 very established lavender plants. They were tore from the ground pretty aggressively and lost a lot of root mass but they’ve been in the ground for 5 months and seem to be fine now. Looking at what would compliment them for the next couple years and was thinking a white/crimson clover mix would keep the areas weeds down and be pretty low maintenance. Does this make good sense watering/needs wise?

The earth around my home is hot poo poo and almost every single plant I have requires a good deal of work to keep alive, let alone thrive...

You need to provide a bit more information. Do you want shrubs? Are you trying to replace a lawn? What's your goal for these plants?

What climate zone are you in? What kind of rainfall do you get? (We have people in this thread living in everything from desert to rain forest.) What does the site look like? How much work are you willing to put in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I've thought of doing something similar!

Deciding what plants to use will inform the other choices on how to put it together. Given that it'll have space constraints, and well, that it is a display case, I immediately think succulents and cacti - they grow slowly and there's practically infinite cool varieties.

Succs and cacti mostly need lots of light, though, so that would make incorporating some lights required--just having glass shelves will not be enough if the spot itself is low-light. If it was me, I'd look into Led strips, maybe such as the aquarium ones mentioned, which are efficient and can be close to the tops of the plants