Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
yeah that's a pretty typical player experience with my mod lol, you get so much poo poo in every shop that you can easily create game-crashing spell combos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/QBFojyv.mp4

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i got my first win a while ago entirely off of a single wand i found in collapsed mines that had mediocre stats but always cast exploding projectiles attached to a quadshot arrow barrage. something about the damage calculations was hosed up because I was doing 3,000ish per crit and the boss died in about 3 shots.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

This wand is the god emperor of lagkind

https://i.imgur.com/JHdM9TY.mp4

e: was. it crashed the game a couple shots later.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 3, 2019

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

This with the homing perk is a blast. Now I just need fire immunity so I can actually pick up some gold.

bloom fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 3, 2019

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Finally beat the game (with a healthy amount of savescumming)

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Exploding clouds might just be a bit op

bloom fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 3, 2019

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Might be cool to spoiler image the last boss, maybe?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

i did spoiler mine but it seems like it doesnt work on mp4 files :/

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TIL that exploding shots stacks with itself and existing explosions

https://i.imgur.com/U13VCkP.mp4

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Johnny Truant posted:

Fair enough yeah

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Why bother beating the game when this drops in the first area

Is this new? Haven't seen it before.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Maybe that "flavour" (heh) hasn't but the Touch line has been around for at least two updates.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

dis astranagant posted:

TIL that exploding shots stacks with itself and existing explosions

https://i.imgur.com/U13VCkP.mp4

It also stacks with glass cannon

No need to aim when every magic bolt clears an entire screen

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of glass cannon, this is your irregular reminder that if you have it, be very careful with using bombs to dig.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking of glass cannon, this is your irregular reminder that if you have it, be very careful with using bombs to dig.

glass cannon (without explosion immunity) is like an elaborate test of how much you can remember to not use anything more explosive than a magic missile and i always fail

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
I made a mod that adds 3 new magical stones to the game, i think it turned out good.

https://github.com/nuke-makes-games/noita_mods

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I finally got to try out the homing-killer-cloud effect. Spark bolt with trigger into explosion on drunk enemies into mist of spirits, with a homing shots perk. It's everything I'd dreamed.

I shouldn't have put the oil trail on the clouds, though. It made it far too easy for them to catch on fire, and burning alcohol doesn't get enemies drunk.

Above: a Hisili in the middle of an inferno, dying very, very slowly from burn damage. I'm not even sure they can suffocate; they have those masks which look kind of like respirators.

Edit: well, poo poo. Went to the Magical Temple for an orb, and died to that white orb thing that only counterattacks you. It got tagged by my alcohol cloud and spammed its projectiles so fast it was eating through the terrain I was using for cover.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 3, 2019

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Anyone else getting a crash when they kick things? Happened to me twice in a row in the mines. I'm running Noita+ v2 and no other mods.

ETA: Three times. This time I just tried to kick the wheelbarrow at the start.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Qylvaran posted:

Anyone else getting a crash when they kick things? Happened to me twice in a row in the mines. I'm running Noita+ v2 and no other mods.

ETA: Three times. This time I just tried to kick the wheelbarrow at the start.

Download v2.2 from modworkshop, v2 has crashing issues when run on the latest beta. Hope you enjoy it! New version coming sometime before the heat death of the universe.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

I like the plague rats perk a lot.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Also, have you given some thought to my question about doing similar spells for the other elements?
I don't really have any interesting ideas for spells like that for other elements.

I did make this though

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else encountered a bug where their stain status gets "frozen"? I'm stuck at 46% water cover, even if I dive into oil or stand in fire. I guess that means I'm de facto immune to toxic sludge and fire!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, a number of times. Sometimes it seems to get triggered by those rat wizards hitting me with their teleport orb. My last time it just stopped on its own before I ran into any of them.

Lost an Eldritch run in the Hisii base because of stacked explosions. :argh: Spark w/ Trigger + Tentacle had electric + ice impact modifiers! Usually a one hit kill when it ripped through them! All gone because a box decided to go boom with a couple others in range.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I do feel like the safe zones in the vanilla game ought to offer both a spell and wand shop for every holy mountain. It seems to be pure RNG if it offers one or the other, and if your issue is having decent spells and you get only wands, or vice versa, it unnecessarily adds to being screwed by RNG

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

finally got to the boss, but only with health regen mod and electrowizzard start mods. I'm actually in the mood to do some modding now. It's great that it actively encourages modding so early on since I think the sandbox aspect of it is the strongest point and not necessarily the default vanilla game mode currently

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Darox posted:

I don't really have any interesting ideas for spells like that for other element.
I meant something in the general vein of recolored versions that spit bursts of water or acid or oil or whatever in the same pattern instead of explosions. I think it would be a nice and more easily targeted version of the particle trail spells without losing any of the benefit of carpet bombing large areas with corrosive or flammable liquid.

Plus, it would look cooler.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Got both glass cannon and explosion immunity, somehow. Too bad I didn't find any good spells, wands or mods for spells, nor am I skillful enough to survive with just 50 HP. Was still fun watching the terrain disappear with the singular explosion type spell I got. Been playing Noita for a couple days now, very entertaining. Although I did download two mods: the one that lets you edit wands anywhere (gives the perk for that) and the one that disables gold despawn, since those were the two things I found least fun about the game.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Best the boss with a fire mage and invisibility. I had to sneak through the last level before the boss because I didn't have the wand for those fights up close. But the boss wasn't bad. I also had a perk that pushed most projectiles away from me, so the boss attacks all went around me, which make things much easier.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

something posted:

I do feel like the safe zones in the vanilla game ought to offer both a spell and wand shop for every holy mountain. It seems to be pure RNG if it offers one or the other, and if your issue is having decent spells and you get only wands, or vice versa, it unnecessarily adds to being screwed by RNG

I find often that if the holy mountain is spells there's a wand shop somewhere in the next biome

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

something posted:

To me that uncertainty is the fun of a rogue-like, sometimes you have to work harder to be a murder machine (that dies instantly to something dumb)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Uncertainty is fun when you can never be quite sure what you will get, but can be relatively confident of at least getting something roughly depth-appropriate that will let you survive if you play well and cautiously.

It's less fun when you get completely screwed over and find nothing that will let you keep progressing before the point where your starting equipment becomes completely ineffectual.

It's a fine balance to strike and a lot of roguelikes are actually not really all that good at it.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
one of those spider jerks from the jungle burrowed into the temple and i lost like 300 hp fighting it and the lich at the same time, since spider guy broke the part i would usually use to cheese the lich : |

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I bought this after seeing it on giantbomb because I thought it was in much more of a tech demo-ey state than it actually is and I'm having a blast even if I don't really know what I'm doing. A lot of the wand/spell mechanics are confusing to me, I certainly have no idea how to look at the stats for a wand and know if it's any good or not and some of the spell tool tips are pretty confusing. Despite that I'm having fun blowing stuff up and not making it past the second zone!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, spell composition and how they affect each other is currently very badly explained, where it is even explained at all. It's not just you, I really struggled with that until I finally looked up a guide. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, spell composition and how they affect each other is currently very badly explained, where it is even explained at all. It's not just you, I really struggled with that until I finally looked up a guide. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

I guess trying to wrap my head around the order of casting spells and passive spells, it seems like ones that you cast fire off in the order in which they're placed (unless it's a shuffle wand), but the passives confuse me when thrown in there. Take the spread shot passive; it doesn't appear to turn all the shots into spread shots is that right? It just does that when it hits the spread shot in the rotation? How does it determine which shot to use if you have two different types assigned to the same wand?

I was also super confused by one wand that I got that was a green laser beam that shot through terrain and drained all my energy in one shot, the description of the bolt said like "casts another spell when hit" or something along those lines. What's that all about?

Edit: If there's a guide I should probably just give that a read instead.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 4, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alright, I can help you with that.

First, what you are talking about are not passive spells, per se, they are projectile modifiers. What this means is that in order from left to right, all modifiers will be applied to the next projectile spell that is cast, and only to that spell. However, because "the next spell that is cast" can be a very loose definition when things like multicasts are involved, this means you could apply three modifiers to one cast of five spells that are cast all at once. Every single one of them will then, for example, have an effect that makes them bounce off walls, spread fire behind them, and electrify the first thing they hit. For your next cast, these effects will no longer happen.

This leads right into your second question: Cast On Hit (the yellow star) is an effect that happens the first time a projectile hits a solid object that it cannot pass through or an enemy, whichever applies to the projectile in question. What this means is that it will automatically cast the first spell to its right at the location of the projectile at the moment the effect is triggered. If that spells is a Bomb, then it will dump a bomb at that location. If it's a quad-cast Black Hole, then it will automatically spread out Black Holes either based on ricochet calculations or on the specifics of the multicast effect. To those follow-up spells, projectile modifiers apply as usual, so you can have a Spark Shot (trigger) lead to Fire Trail and Electrified and then quad-cast Magic Arrows.

You can chain-link spells with triggers so that one cast will basically go down the entire chain every time the new spell hits something. This is possible to mix with multicasts as well, but I'm not quite sure how those behave yet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This is tremendously helpful, thanks so much. I also found this guide on Reddit that seems pretty helpful about the general stats stuff that I was confused about too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Glad to have helped. :) The guide I used is this one here: https://gameplay.tips/guides/5396-noita.html

It goes into detail about just what exactly each specific wand or spell stat means and how they affect what your wand will do, so I personally recommend it. It was very useful to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Think of the wand as a deck of cards. Broadly speaking there's three kinds of cards (spells): projectiles, projectile modifiers, and multicasts. Projectile modifiers all have "draw and play one more card, and apply this modifier to that card" on them. Multicasts are "draw N cards, and cast them with these modifiers" (e.g. increased spread, or front and back, etc.). And projectiles just, well, cast projectiles. If the projectile has a trigger on it, then that means "draw and play an additional card when this projectile hits something". Ditto for timers, except that the projectile has to live for a certain amount of time before it'll cast a spell.

In practice what this means is that you'll keep drawing cards from the deck until you hit enough projectiles to satisfy the "spells per cast" stat. If the wand is shuffled, then this gives you unpredictable results, of course, so typically my shuffled wands are large collections of the same spell, possibly including some modifiers that I'm not picky about placement with, like the damage amplifier or liquid trails. For non-shuffled wands though, you can set up some fairly complex combos. The main thing to note is that all projectile modifiers that appear immediately before a multicast apply to all projectiles fired by that multicast. If you do flame trail oil trail acid trail multicast energy orb energy orb, then the two orbs will each leave three trails of liquid behind them.

e:f;b