Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just beat the game.

That was certainly a way to end a game. Or not end it, as the case may be. Also, is Musse, like, starting the 2nd Civil War except this time the Noble Alliance are the good guys against Osborne? I'd be down with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The whole, "pick the person the MC hooked up with in the preceding incompatible game, and have minor (or major, depending on the scene/game) scenes have changes" is not something that has never happened in JRPGs, but it does seem to be extremely rare. This can include options for "no one" too, or to cancel whatever the chosen option is, depending on the game. Somewhat rare in the west too, though there is the odd issue that it seems to have been more common a while ago in Japan and rarer in the west, while now it seems to be the reverse.

Falcom in particular is just in the position that for Cold Steel and Zero/Ao that they seem to have wanted to push a main interest in both, but wanted to leave it open-ended for the player too. This isn't bad in-and-of itself, since neither game has a central focus on the relationship like Sky did, but at the same time we ended up in a position where neither side is entirely happy with the result - those who want a relationship for continuity purposes won't get it (as already shown with Lloyd's appearances in CS, and presumably with any cameos by either moving forward into Calvard), and those who don't mind and want the freedom to choose are not entirely happy since it has minimal effect outside their specific scenes, and the game continues to kind of push another result in others. The irony is that a fair chunk of the latter would probably be fine if there was a central one with no options... but once you've put that option out there, they're going to be irritated when it magically vanishes halfway through the tale.

edit: On a different matter, one that came up in the main RPG thread, I don't generally mind unwinnable boss fights, but the mech one against Aurelia has issues - issues that made it VERY annoying. Namely she seems to have to actually connect with Dynast Sunder to do her teamwipe... and she kept targeting the mech I had Altina attached to. You might see the issue. Make your drat unwinnable boss at least use an unblockable, uninterruptible attack, game.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 3, 2019

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

edit: On a different matter, one that came up in the main RPG thread, I don't generally mind unwinnable boss fights, but the mech one against Aurelia has issues - issues that made it VERY annoying. Namely she seems to have to actually connect with Dynast Sunder to do her teamwipe... and she kept targeting the mech I had Altina attached to. You might see the issue. Make your drat unwinnable boss at least use an unblockable, uninterruptible attack, game.

You can win the Mech fight against Aurelia, I think it even awards you AP for doing it. I know for my current Nightmare playthrough I plan on grinding out U Material so I can have a bunch of the healing and BP boosting Divine Knight items. I'm pretty sure you can have tier 3 if not tier 4 ex orbs for the fight as well. It might be the hardest fight in the game to win on Nightmare though.

edit:
Unless you're talking about the fight with new class VII, in that case yeah I think it's unwinable until you're playing as Rean and Randy.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
speaking of aurelia, after an hour of this i have to throw my hands up and ask for help

chapter 2 sidequest: i can't seem to get her hp down to 70% before her s crafft completely clocks my poo poo in. i've tried what feels like every combo of stacking STR bonuses on top of STR bonuses and waiting at the last possible moment to use 200 cp S craft. i always just BARELY miss it. do i just need to grind? is it even possible to grind exp on a free day? please help i am apparenly bad at this game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Metroixer posted:

speaking of aurelia, after an hour of this i have to throw my hands up and ask for help

chapter 2 sidequest: i can't seem to get her hp down to 70% before her s crafft completely clocks my poo poo in. i've tried what feels like every combo of stacking STR bonuses on top of STR bonuses and waiting at the last possible moment to use 200 cp S craft. i always just BARELY miss it. do i just need to grind? is it even possible to grind exp on a free day? please help i am apparenly bad at this game.

I don't know exactly what you've been doing, but she gets a huge defense boost for activating her super mode, so you want to use your S-Craft before that, rather than at the last possible second. It's based on her HP so just watch the numbers.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

You need to tank it. Pop Iron Will and some kind of defense buff if you have it before she hits you and you'll survive if you're at full HP. She won't use it again so you can just grind her down after.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ChaosSora posted:

edit:
Unless you're talking about the fight with new class VII, in that case yeah I think it's unwinable until you're playing as Rean and Randy.

I'm talking about the first fight. You don't even get sub-members like Altina in the second fight.

Metroixer posted:

I touched on this earlier, but the easiest way is probably finding a decently powerful art and spamming it using Rean's Divine Song brave order. You can try to knock them down low enough using just basic attacks, but that's decently riskier since you need to dip at least a bit into their range of "suddenly pulls out their S-craft" before you get them low enough to S-craft down yourself.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
The only optional fight I gave up on was was McFireBro in chapter 2. Once I realized that he just straight up kills you in a couple rounds and you don't actually do much damage to him, it wasn't worth going any further.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
That one is simple, McBurn only uses his S-craft once after his little super charge on his first turn and then after that switches back to standard attacks, so you can just bank a charge of Emma's S-craft and reflect it, easy peasy. The game even telegraphs this heavily by having Emma give the whole suppressing his flame lines, it's not just a narrative contrivance.

Mind you he's still kind of a bastard because his arts hit like a truck and you can't cleanse any burn status he inflicts, but overall it's pretty easy to get the extra AP.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Trails of Cold Steel III - drat YOU, GEORGE

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
dang, does George do some cool poo poo in this game. I'm only in the first chapter btw

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
He calls Schmidt names for one thing.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Sweetgrass posted:

That one is simple, McBurn only uses his S-craft once after his little super charge on his first turn and then after that switches back to standard attacks, so you can just bank a charge of Emma's S-craft and reflect it, easy peasy. The game even telegraphs this heavily by having Emma give the whole suppressing his flame lines, it's not just a narrative contrivance.

Mind you he's still kind of a bastard because his arts hit like a truck and you can't cleanse any burn status he inflicts, but overall it's pretty easy to get the extra AP.

It's actually shockingly easier then that. Almost all of McBurn's moves count as magic attacks and Emma has a forced set Crescent Mirror, so you can reflect almost everything he does back at him. Once you realize his initial S-craft can be reflected and start spamming Crescent Mirror, he actually goes down easier then most bosses.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The only sport across Zemuria more popular than shoving Estelle and Joshua together is raising Duvalie's blood pressure

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The only sport across Zemuria more popular than shoving Estelle and Joshua together is raising Duvalie's blood pressure

People seem to really love shoving Tita and Agate together though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Metroixer posted:

Equip Kurt's quartz on Rean, cast until you have strength up three times, wait until you counter one of her attacks, and then S break her. You never have to be hit by her big move. If she's at a point where she'll use it, a 200CP str up S break will take her past 70%, so chip away until she does her power up ability and then nuke her from orbit.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Trails of Cold Steel III - Time to talk to random strangers! ✰

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Clarste posted:

People seem to really love shoving Tita and Agate together though.

crimes can't be sports

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Clarste posted:

I don't know exactly what you've been doing, but she gets a huge defense boost for activating her super mode, so you want to use your S-Craft before that, rather than at the last possible second. It's based on her HP so just watch the numbers.

didnt realize her def went up from super mode, adjusting for that did the trick. thanks!

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

It's actually shockingly easier then that. Almost all of McBurn's moves count as magic attacks and Emma has a forced set Crescent Mirror, so you can reflect almost everything he does back at him. Once you realize his initial S-craft can be reflected and start spamming Crescent Mirror, he actually goes down easier then most bosses.

Good to know, something to keep in mind for new game + then.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Finished it.

Never saw a game have a "don't despair" disclaimer at the end, and, uhm, kinda need it, plot wise. This one finishes with things in a way rougher spot than either Sky FC or Cold Steel I....

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

Okay, this is my criticism of the game after finishing. I'd say I'm overall disappointed.

First of all, this game is very VERY in need of an editor. The script is excessively wordy. It's also quite dry and witless. If you want to test this, try playing Trails in the Sky and see how much more natural and believable the dialogue is. Every character in Cold Steel 3 is a charisma vacuum and it becomes increasingly difficult to ignore, and every scene is so drawn out with dry dialogue that it's difficult to even pay attention. I want to be clear too, this is also a problem with the first two Cold Steel games, but it's more evident here, because nothing of real consequence happens! I can tell you that nothing happens because the first time that the game decided to throw a "blocked scene" streaming spoiler message was at the end of Chapter 3, around 60 hours into the game.

Even when they have a good idea, the writers manage to immediately undermine it. *That* Juna scene in the second chapter is really well acted, well delivered... and the subsequent scene where she explains how Rean saved her should have built on this and been a nuanced piece of character development. Juna witnessed one foreign invader destroying another through power, and then that invader held out its hand as a saviour... it's a strong image, it explains her feelings of humiliation and weakness and how she links those to her national identity. But then they play the scene as if she's being a selfish woman who's shy about recognising Rean as her saviour because he's from the Empire. It really undermines the character despite it being the only really powerful scene that anybody has in the game.

Can I come back to the fact that nothing happens in this game? At least in previous games, they would build up a problem that you would have solved by the end, only to be blindsided by some sort of twist. Cold Steel 3 doesn't have a build-up, because every scene with the villains involves them talking ominously about nothing. In hindsight, the end of Chapter 3 might have been intended as a climax and a point of resolution because when you beat the bosses they act a bit defeated before teleporting away, instead of your party acting as if they had been defeated.

In the fourth chapter, they actually invent a demon to act as your antagonist. I mean, they introduce him in dialogue in a single cutscene not long before, in a way that comes across as a mere aside about the country's history. Then you find out from the characters who can "sense" things that there is some evil coming from beneath a building, so you head into this basement and find a hell portal; a mysterious character you have met three times prior shows up and tells you that this is the base of the Dark Dragon, who almost killed everyone 800 years ago and will do the same now and you need to kill it. Then Rean starts his final dungeon speech. It's ridiculous. Keep in mind that this sudden reveal is supposed to be the culmination of a 10 hour section where you're attempting to arrest foreign spies. It feels as if it's a contrived way of having a climax prior to the finale.

None of the questions I had were resolved at the end of the game. Not a single one. The ending cuts out on a scene in the middle of the climactic confrontation in the final dungeon... they kill off some characters during these events but it feels forced, like they needed SOMETHING to happen to justify ending the game. Even then, guess what? They killed Crow at the end of the last game, in a genuinely emotionally affective, tragic scene. Then they brought him back to life.

Oh! The first scene with Osborne really sabotages the character. He openly describes his son as an idiot. The strength of Osborne, as a character, is that it was always ambiguous as to whether he was simply a bad guy, or a benevolent sociopath with a sense of pride and of justice. That scene immediately places him as a bad guy. They soured me on everything.

I could place a lot more complaints but I'm tired!

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

hope you are ok posted:

Okay, this is my criticism of the game after finishing. I'd say I'm overall disappointed.

Oh you are going to love 4.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm not quite at the end yet (thought the dragon would be it, but apparently not) and I'm aware that I just talked about being annoyed by the harem, but it really kimda sucks that Rean isn't given the option to kiss Towa after max bonding, while he can do that to Alissa. Towa is the only character he's able to open up to. Everyone else he just plays cheerleader for

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Towa is good, it's true

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel like Towa's role in this game was surprisingly downplayed though, given that she's another teacher though.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Clarste posted:

I feel like Towa's role in this game was surprisingly downplayed though, given that she's another teacher though.

That scene just before the final dungeon is her greatest moment so far

Edit because I didn't want to type this out on my phone:

Really? I feel like this game finally did her some justice. She's very rarely shown front and center because that's not who the character is. But she's shown to be strong, capable, and incredibly intelligent and insightful. She demands respect. She is absolutely an asskicker at background stuff. And she is ALWAYS making sure everyone is ok, to her own detriment and that part of her eventually comes to a head. She is very much the behind-the-scenes version of Rean.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 5, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
A frustration I have with this game, and in fairness it may be improved on with the 4th, is the animation in cutscenes. Characters jumping and moving quickly just does not look good in this game. I gave it a pass on the Vita, but it's clunky looking as hell to see it on a main console game.

I'm not asking for the combat of Ys to appear in cutscenes or anything (though holy poo poo if it ever did), but most combat cutscenes leave me pretty disppointed with how smooth and quick they aren't.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

laffo at the noise they decided to use for heavy physical impact. Just had Rean and Ash do a high five and it's all 'good job teach' then the loudest, dullest DOOF you've ever heard.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
Towa is effectively Rean, minus three feet and abandonment issues.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Towa with a gun looks wrong

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
cold steel 3 is "guys, Alisa is the canon option we will force it" to cold steel 4 completely reversing course.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I finished.

Is IV an interactive novel where Rean goes to therapy?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

God drat this fortress at the end of of chapter 3 never ends.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CS3 drinking game: take a drink whenever anyone mentions exactly how long it's been since they met another character.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I like how whenever you bump into one of the CS2 villains they're almost always polite enough to say hi to Altina.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Going back to Crossbell after playing the games in order is the best, I'm remembering so many npcs. This is the best part of these games. :allears:

On the other hand the first big boss of the area can suck my dick.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

IceBorg posted:

Going back to Crossbell after playing the games in order is the best, I'm remembering so many npcs. This is the best part of these games. :allears:

On the other hand the first big boss of the area can suck my dick.

what, you don't like fighting a boss that can constantly heal and buff itself over and over again?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Logicblade posted:

what, you don't like fighting a boss that can constantly heal and buff itself over and over again?

That's every boss in CS3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I don't suppose theres any hope of the 4th game coming out in the US sooner than 2021?