Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

ThomasPaine posted:

wings over scotland has always been garbage but idg why they appear to have completely jettisoned the whole indy thing now to focus on out and out transphobia

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/1190766009940140033?s=20

My person here hasn't even considered that twitter's moderation standards are US-centric.

e: I have looked 26 places for a good way to use 26 and am finding nothing.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Two images from recent South African social media.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Sanford posted:

Spent the afternoon helping chip branches to lay new paths in our community woodland, and by the end of it the half dozen people helping were so sick of me they all registered to vote just to shut me up. The message of “forget brexit, how many people do you know having a poo poo time on universal credit?” really seems to be working. Five of the six say they’ve never voted before in their lives. One is a sovereign citizen who overcame his worry of “voting is another form of legal name fraud inflicted on us by false authorities” when I said if he thinks it’s entirely bullshit, just do it anyway as a favour to me and his friends.

Also one of the branches got stuck in the chipper and hit me really loving hard on top of the head as it jerked about. Worth it to get six more votes.

This mostly got skipped over but I just wanted to say you are one of my favourite posters ITT.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I figured I'd have a look at the TIGCUK website out of morbid curiosity about what their General Election strategy was and... it's a loving ghost town.

The last news post was July 26th 2019 and there are no upcoming events. You would think there might be something about the impending election...

Also I spent the night convincing Remainers to vote Labour with the simple fact that either Labour or Tories are going to win this election, so if even if you don't like Corbyn, he's your only chance to remain.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/johnsweeneyroar/status/1190781267194855424?s=20

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Robodog posted:

Just FYI Australia doesn't use FPTP, we have preferential voting in the lower house and proportional voting in the upper house. We're just terrible racists and assholes and vote for the same while democracy steadily erodes around us.

gently caress, you are right. For some reason I thought the lower house was fptp!

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Other designs are available:
Solaris urbino 12:

Single deckers like this are in use in Edinburgh now, not sure how much use there is elsewhere though. But the batteries are on the roof so it's hard to fit them on double deckers. I'm not really sure what Lothian's long term plan is though, they have double decker hybrids in use but the newest ones (the larger ones mentioned a few days ago that have extra exit doors in the middle) aren't even hybrids, apparently the battery life was expected to be really poor on them so not worth bothering. I don't know how long it takes to charge a single decker, but there's an obvious efficiency advantage to trolley buses there in terms of not needing to cart around so much battery weight. I've seen a Chinese design somewhere that had charge points on some of the bus stops so the buses get a periodic charge while in service instead of trekking back to the depot, but I don't know how widespread that system is.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Double post

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Robot Mil posted:

Thanks both but don't worry, I registered for a proxy vote a couple of months ago!

I do think that they have to be able to vote in your most recent constituency though? Or can they do a proxy postal vote??

You can indeed have a proxy postal vote! You have to submit an application nominating them as your proxy, and they additionally need to request a postal vote for you. AFAIK the last bit is council-specific (e.g. Wandsworth), so you probably need to poke around your (old) council's website or email their electoral services team.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ThisBunkCannotSwim posted:

That was me, thank you! I am, Bristol West to be exact. Not sure what the best why to pass on details is without getting doxxed? If you have PMs, I guess I could maybe bite the bullet and throw Lowtax some spine coins...

I do have PMs. Alternatively jump into the discord and message me on there :)

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I do, but they take up a bunch of full 13A sockets on the lead, a bunch of little shaver sockets between the big ones would be much more convenient. I guess I could plug power cubes into power strips ad inferos, but it just seems like something that should exist but doesn't.

The rationale is that most normal functioning countries don't use ring mains, every couple of sockets is a radial with its own breaker, so the plugs themselves don't have to have fuses, so they can be smaller and you can say "hey, you can plug both the small two pin double insulated things and the big three pin grounded things into this universal socket.

Also other countries believe that RCDs/GFIs are real things that work so you can have a proper socket in the bathroom and still have your two pin electric toothbrush, whereas the UK went instead with shaver sockets that don't have RCDs and yet can still deliver enough current to kill you but you can't plug anything useful into them.

Fucken l-o-l.

Fuses on plugs do nothing to protect the wiring in the wall, they protect the flex going to the appliance. Which is lower gauge and could potentially overheat during a fault condition even if it wasn't passing enough current to trip the circuit breaker. It's nothing to do with us using ring mains.

Also shaver sockets in bathrooms are actually isolating transformers, which means unlike the mains supply their output isn't referenced to ground. That means you can theoretically touch the live output directly while holding Earthed plumbing and you won't get a shock, because current can only flow if there's a path back to the transformer itself rather than simply to Earth (which is the case with mains voltage). So you'd have to be touching both the live and neutral at the same time to be shocked which is much less likely than touching one. Making them safer for bathroom use with all that Earthed plumbing and water around.

Can you tell I watch a lot of YouTube videos on this stuff?

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Sharrow posted:

You can indeed have a proxy postal vote! You have to submit an application nominating them as your proxy, and they additionally need to request a postal vote for you. AFAIK the last bit is council-specific (e.g. Wandsworth), so you probably need to poke around your (old) council's website or email their electoral services team.

This is good to know! Luckily my folks live in the same city as my old constituency.

I do NOT trust Canada Post with a time sensitive postal vote that's for sure...

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ThomasPaine posted:

wings over scotland has always been garbage but idg why they appear to have completely jettisoned the whole indy thing now to focus on out and out transphobia

have we talked about Joanna Cherry interpreting a recent Internet Meme of the labour candidate holding cillit bang with "bang and the TERF is gone" as a misogynistic death threat to shoot her (with a gun because guns go bang) yet

i mean we don't have to but i want for the historical record my reaction to be recorded historically: lol

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

jabby posted:

Fuses on plugs do nothing to protect the wiring in the wall, they protect the flex going to the appliance. Which is lower gauge and could potentially overheat during a fault condition even if it wasn't passing enough current to trip the circuit breaker. It's nothing to do with us using ring mains.

Also shaver sockets in bathrooms are actually isolating transformers, which means unlike the mains supply their output isn't referenced to ground. That means you can theoretically touch the live output directly while holding Earthed plumbing and you won't get a shock, because current can only flow if there's a path back to the transformer itself rather than simply to Earth (which is the case with mains voltage). So you'd have to be touching both the live and neutral at the same time to be shocked which is much less likely than touching one. Making them safer for bathroom use with all that Earthed plumbing and water around.

Can you tell I watch a lot of YouTube videos on this stuff?

It has its quirks, but having dealt with US 'lectrics, I bloody love UK electrical standards/wiring. Right down to the genius plug/caltrop design.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Angepain posted:

have we talked about Joanna Cherry interpreting a recent Internet Meme of the labour candidate holding cillit bang with "bang and the TERF is gone" as a misogynistic death threat to shoot her (with a gun because guns go bang) yet

i mean we don't have to but i want for the historical record my reaction to be recorded historically: lol

The only people who care about 'controversial' things posted on Twitter are the people who post those things on Twitter.
Posting their sleep-sharts here, or responding in any way to the dreck they spend their day spamming their bandwidth with is A) a literal waste of bandwidth of everyone who visits this thread; and B) giving these attention-seeking shitheads exactly what they want.

Their life revolves around getting as much attention as possible from gullible fuckwits, so that they can cling on to the belief that they are, in some way, relevant. Deny them this - by ignoring them, for fucks sake - and you avoid fulfilling their narcissistic cravings.
Quote them and you're just being a massive oval office all around.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

kingturnip posted:

The only people who care about 'controversial' things posted on Twitter are the people who post those things on Twitter.
Posting their sleep-sharts here, or responding in any way to the dreck they spend their day spamming their bandwidth with is A) a literal waste of bandwidth of everyone who visits this thread; and B) giving these attention-seeking shitheads exactly what they want.

Their life revolves around getting as much attention as possible from gullible fuckwits, so that they can cling on to the belief that they are, in some way, relevant. Deny them this - by ignoring them, for fucks sake - and you avoid fulfilling their narcissistic cravings.
Quote them and you're just being a massive oval office all around.

Nah, the terves are a going concern who are really loving UK trans/non-binary people over and laughing at their nonsense is sometimes the only response left to us

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Re: international postal/proxy vote, I registered on Tuesday and was contacted by my local body on Thursday by email. From there you can scan and email a form registering for postal vote or proxy vote.

The woman emailing me was very nice but unfortunately it’s been over 15 years since I was registered. Time flies. For what it’s worth, my seat is very solid SNP so my single vote wouldn’t have made much real difference.

The fact that someone lazy like me tried to register and has easily gotten friends to register for the first time who are in much more competitive areas should anecdotally show there’s more momentum behind this vote than usual.

Convincing my low-engagement friends was much easier than expected too; there’s so many pros to discuss when the mandate is more progressive.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

kingturnip posted:

Joanna Cherry is a sitting mp and a potential successor for leader of the largest party in Scotland. Her lovely opinions about trans people, sadly, matter

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

ThomasPaine posted:

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/1190766009940140033?s=20
I'd encourage everyone to report this tweet for using the forbidden word because it'll be funny if that dipshit gets banned :v:

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Angepain posted:

Still a huge lmao

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Still a huge lmao

sonicfox getting into a scrap with holyrood on twitter was the point, in my mind at least, where it was evident online had broken through to reality somehow.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Still a huge lmao

Two different incidents, hilariously enough! The Lily from Zombierland Saga is "Shut the gently caress up TERF" while the Cillit Bang one was... cillit bang lol imagine being threatened by BARRY SCOTT

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That meeting of the Human Rights Committee was bizarre. It's so fascinating to see olds and hapless politicians try to come to grips with the internet.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ugh Ash Sarkar was in Stroud today and I missed the event to go to a pumpkin patch with the kid. Probably for the best, I'd only have embarrassed myself.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
For some reason the implication of violence adds something to this theme that a civilised attempt just lacks. Compare:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lotsa polls out tomorrow (Sunday)

Mostly showing Labour gains.

It's on.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Here we loving go! (He says, cheering from Mexico)

(Though I did donate and signed up for a postal vote!)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
👏 we're back and we're ready for it all over again.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

sebzilla posted:

It's on.

Wasn't there a post earlier saying the Tory internal polling was already showing that Labour had closed to within single-digit margins?

I mean I assume they're bricking it because they're trying the fracking 'ban' and now I see on the beeb the top story is 'ending' the benefits freeze (lol sure).

Honestly election reporting at this point should demand the article list all the government's broken promises and other calumnies on whatever the subject is, but whatcha gonna do

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I've seen a couple of polls and it looks like LD vote is collapsing and Labour and Tories are gaining off it.

I actually don't think the Tory vote will hold, though.

We're gonna loving win it.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/10100

quote:

The first Sunday of the election campaign, and as you expect, several polls in the Sunday papers:

The Telegraph have a poll from ORB. Topline figures are CON 36%, LAB 28%, LDEM 14%, BREX 12%. Fieldwork was Wednesday and Thursday. While they’ve published some trackers on support for Brexit, the last time I recall seeing a voting intention poll from ORB was back in April, so changes here aren’t really relevant.

ComRes in the Sunday Express have topline figures of CON 36%(+3), LAB 28%(-1), LDEM 17%(-1), BREX 10%(-2). Fieldwork was Wednesday and Thursday, with changes from mid-October, at the time of Johnson’s deal.

The regular Opinium poll for the Observer has topline figures of CON 42%(+2), LAB 26%(+2), LDEM 16%(+1), BREX 9%(-1), GRN 2%(-1). Fieldwork was Thursday and Friday, and changes are from last week.

YouGov in the Sunday Times has topline figures of CON 39%(+3), LAB 27%(+6), LDEM 16%(-2), BREX 7%(-6). Fieldwork was Thursday and Friday, with changes from midweek.

Finally, Deltapoll in the Mail on Sunday (they’ll be running weekly polls for them for the campaign) have topline figures of CON 40%(+3), LAB 28%(+4), LDEM 14%(-5), BREX 11%(nc). Fieldwork was Thursday to Saturday, with changes from mid-October, just after Johnson’s deal.

Are you guys reading something I'm not? Tories still have as high as a 16% lead.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
One poll says 8 another says 16 and everyone says the one they like the best is more accurate because we've got five weeks to fill with this speculation before a thing actually happens.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

CoolCab posted:

sonicfox getting into a scrap with holyrood on twitter was the point, in my mind at least, where it was evident online had broken through to reality somehow.

Mine was after a dude in my eve online corp got killed at Benghazi, was mentioned by Hillary and the Infowars guy accused us of being a CIA op

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

sebzilla posted:

It's on.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1190740793033707520?s=19

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1190764096007942144?s=19

~ The Swinson Effect ~

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Wow yeah they are all over the place

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I'm guessing a chunk of people who were bigging up the other parties over the last year or two have suddenly found the election is providing a sharp incentive to return to the big two. Though whether that holds remains to be seen.

Ultimately the only poll that matters is Election Day but even those of us who know that AND have been burned by psephological shortcomings in the last few years are desperately examining the entrails and studying the birds in flight, because haruspicy and augury is all we have.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Polling is really hard. If you do a telephone poll then 95% of responses will be "gently caress off" so you only get replies from the terminally bored/lonely and the politics-obsessed weirdos. Then you have to somehow extrapolate that to the general population.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Haven't polls been rather meaningless the last two elections, yeah?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah. There was a fairly accurate one last time, but it was pulled due to cost/looking to off from the other ones as it projected labour gains.

Also worth remembering polls are another form of propaganda these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah. There was a fairly accurate one last time, but it was pulled due to cost/looking to off from the other ones as it projected labour gains.

Also worth remembering polls are another form of propaganda these days.

YouGov's MRP model was basically spot on, but they panicked and pulled it the last few days in favour of looking like the other main pollsters. Survation was also pretty much spot on, and stuck to their guns all the way through.