Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Really solid episode. Justin, as always, has the best character, but Argo and Fitzroy are fun too. My only complaint would be that was way too many NPCs to keep track of right off the bat. I’ll probably have to listen again because I’ve already forgotten most of the NPC details.

I really like this world Travis has built, and very eager to see where, exactly, this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
There’s definitely a good foundation in this first episode. I know it’s a lot of information Travis wanted to get out in his little tutorial section, but the episode probably would’ve benefited from cutting out maybe 10-20 minutes or so. The Groundsy conversation had some serious Rockport energy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I enjoyed most of this episode and think I'll like this season way more than the last one.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Good good, the episode was good, the fight was good. I'm looking forward to the dumb school shenanigans.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Travis has showed us the world.

Now he must cut it down.:shepface:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I can't wait to see what Clint does with a rogue waterboy :yum:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

dirksteadfast posted:

There’s definitely a good foundation in this first episode. I know it’s a lot of information Travis wanted to get out in his little tutorial section, but the episode probably would’ve benefited from cutting out maybe 10-20 minutes or so. The Groundsy conversation had some serious Rockport energy.

Clint shouting out for help from the gargoyle in the middle of the grounds and having pretty much every character just stare at him blankly for what in-world was probably like 10 seconds made me laugh.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I appreciate Travis going all out with silly wizard names even if they’re a little close to Sadlibs for comfort

“Fantasy public service pro-wrestling school” is pretty uh, conceptual. Makes me wonder if Travis had a few different ideas and decided to just mash them together.

All the PCs are pretty fun, I’m honestly kind of excited to hear Griffin play a PC for a full story. As usual though I think Justin’s character is the best, and i was surprised at how well he pulled off the scene with the pegasus. I do kinda hope they find a better name than “Bud”

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

misadventurous posted:

I appreciate Travis going all out with silly wizard names even if they’re a little close to Sadlibs for comfort

“Fantasy public service pro-wrestling school” is pretty uh, conceptual. Makes me wonder if Travis had a few different ideas and decided to just mash them together.

All the PCs are pretty fun, I’m honestly kind of excited to hear Griffin play a PC for a full story. As usual though I think Justin’s character is the best, and i was surprised at how well he pulled off the scene with the pegasus. I do kinda hope they find a better name than “Bud”

Are we...settled on "bud"?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
In case anyone's unfamiliar with D&D races and curious what our boys look like, I thought the fan art was pretty good:

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Toebone posted:

In case anyone's unfamiliar with D&D races and curious what our boys look like, I thought the fan art was pretty good:

I've not listened to the podcast but I can inherently tell which McElroy is which.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
A 2hr episode is a bit too much time to thank Travis for Travis but the concept seems fun and it's not Amnesty so I'll give it a fair shake.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sort of unclear on how Griffin can be a knight who's also a magic barbarian. They must not be coming in at Level 1 with a multi-class resume like that!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Knight isn't really a class in DnD. His character was in the Barbarian game class, and took a Barbarian specialization that gives them wild magic, while their character was attempting to become a knight, as in the heroic archetype from fantasy fiction.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

timp posted:

I'm sort of unclear on how Griffin can be a knight who's also a magic barbarian. They must not be coming in at Level 1 with a multi-class resume like that!

I think I read somewhere that Travis let him take the magic initiate feat.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Danger Diabolik posted:

I think I read somewhere that Travis let him take the magic initiate feat.

Nah, its a Barbarian spec from Unearthed Arcana, which is the DnD playtest book where they put all the weird poo poo they want the player base to try out while understanding it isn't quite balanced.

https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/1189965918123831296?s=21

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

One of the class features is your whole body flashing random colors in the presence of magic, which should be amazing if Griffin ever uses it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

change my name posted:

One of the class features is your whole body flashing random colors in the presence of magic, which should be amazing if Griffin ever uses it

I would not place money on any of them using most of their class features

Merle used Channel Divinity like once in all of Balance?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Only real complaint is Justin's character voice started insanely slow. It sped up a little later on, though. I'm sure he has the self-awareness to tune it up a bit.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If Griffin can nudge Travis to be more player focused in dialogue, and Justin can speak a little faster while still seeming contemplative of his words, this definitely has the foundation of what could be my favorite TAZ.

Although justin ABSOLUTELY should use the talking slow thing as a gag every now and then. You can feel the other brothers and Clint internally screaming for him to finish a thought while he just goes "hmmmmmm........."

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
They're definitely not going to know you can't cast spells while raging, at least not at first

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Raserys posted:

They're definitely not going to know you can't cast spells while raging, at least not at first

Wild Soul barbarians trigger a wild magic surge every time they rage :black101:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Toebone posted:

Griffin is going to die by episode 6

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

This single episode was better than anything in Amnesty. I’m so on board. My only complaint was that a ton of NPCs were introduced and I didn’t exactly understand who they all were. But I’m sure it will clear up. Really excited for this season!

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I think Travis will be better about exposition/NPC talking time after this, since he had to introduce the entire setting in this one. I very much enjoyed the ep regardless.

Toebone posted:

lol wow this is broken. I thought maybe some would be negative, but they're all incredibly op for level 3 and the only downsides are just that some things have possible friendly fire.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Wild Soul's power comes at the cost of you basically having a decent change to gently caress yourself and everyone around you when your wild surge goes off

It's like the definition of something you probably shouldn't play during a serious game but is optimal for a comedy podcast

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Stroop There It Is posted:

lol wow this is broken. I thought maybe some would be negative, but they're all incredibly op for level 3 and the only downsides are just that some things have possible friendly fire.

if they weren't cowards they'd use the table of 10,000 wild magic surges

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

dmboogie posted:

TBH this feels like the kind of thing they would use, if they knew about it

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

dmboogie posted:

Wow, there is a lot of finger-related stuff in here.

quote:

0140 All of caster's fingers are as long as his middle finger
0141 All of caster's fingers are clear like glass
0142 All of caster's fingers double in thickness
0143 All of caster's fingers migrate to one hand

:gonk:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Nah, its a Barbarian spec from Unearthed Arcana, which is the DnD playtest book where they put all the weird poo poo they want the player base to try out while understanding it isn't quite balanced.

https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/1189965918123831296?s=21

wait... barbarian? a high class acting and very toity who always demands you get his family name right is a barbarian?

i was thinking something like knightly or bardy.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Class is not identity.

TakenForGranite
Jan 13, 2015

EVIL Gibson posted:

wait... barbarian? a high class acting and very toity who always demands you get his family name right is a barbarian?

I mean he did fail out of night-knight school. Probably for anger issues and... shooting lasers out of his chest issues.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

kidcoelacanth posted:

My mental picture of Bud is just a palette swapped Blanka

I'm imagining Dar but with fewer chutes and flaps and chest talons.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I finally got the chance to listen to TAZ Graduation and I loved it, totally on board. Really looking forward to learning more about fantasy pro wrestling.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A new challenger appears-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqCTh8X9lBU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I like this guy's animations so far. He visualized this really well.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

This might be the TAZ I finally stick with. I enjoyed Travis’ character work a lot.

Justin’s character is probably the most interesting and his moment with Pegasus was good enough that I kinda can’t believe it was improvised? And Griffin gradually revealing his character’s horrible insecurity was great.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Justin’s character might have been the best, but Griffin got the most laughs out of me this time. He just keeps nailing his character’s amazing deadpan reactions to his incredibly lovely situation.

“Oh, like a science experiment! That’s fun.”

“I’m being extremely facetious. They’ve ruined my life.”

“Well, this has been roundly the most disappointing day of my life. Thanks for capping it off like that.”

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I enjoyed the first episode a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Except that class doesn't get cantrips (or other regular spells), so he's that class AND he has the magic initiate feat.

EVIL Gibson posted:

Class in DnD is a collection of mechanical effects. You can and should think flexibly about what those mechanical effects mean in the fiction of the game world.