Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Bundy posted:

It has its quirks, but having dealt with US 'lectrics, I bloody love UK electrical standards/wiring. Right down to the genius plug/caltrop design.

Electrical stuff is actually really interesting. Ring mains are almost certainly bad, but in general the UK electrical system kicks rear end.

Re: Polling chat, it's all over the place BUT the gap is narrower now than it was at the start of the 2017 campaign. Back then Labour were averaging about 27% and the Tories averaging 44% - 17 point gap. Now we have a 10/11 point gap.

Plus stuff like intense targeting of marginal seats could make all the difference without being reflected in national polling. It's all to play for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Buses! :kimchi: :neckbeard: :effortless:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Buses! :peanut: :love: :worship:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

BUSES! :allears: :swoon: :hawaaaafap: :feelsgood:

You see? Jaeluni is perfect for the position of Bus Overlord, because they are a huge bus nerd who wants people to be happy :)

Of course, you may be forced to step aside in your constituency if we form a remain alliance with the Brexit Party.

Just a heads up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Azza Bamboo posted:

👏 we're back and we're ready for it all over again.

https://twitter.com/bagelpicbot/status/874702862730833921

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Feinne posted:

e: I have looked 26 places for a good way to use 26 and am finding nothing.

There are 26 letters in the English alphabet, but an unknown number of dumb stupid bullshit things that really should be done away with. The Germans manage to stay on top of their language so I don't know why we can't just :words:-spelled-nonsensically

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Braggart posted:

There are 26 letters in the English alphabet, but an unknown number of dumb stupid bullshit things that really should be done away with. The Germans manage to stay on top of their language so I don't know why we can't just :words:-spelled-nonsensically

Germans still use a double "b" to say "s".

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Braggart posted:

You see? Jaeluni is perfect for the position of Bus Overlord, because they are a huge bus nerd who wants people to be happy :)

Of course, you may be forced to step aside in your constituency if we form a remain alliance with the Brexit Party.

Just a heads up.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Naturally I expect the other parties to step aside for me.

On that point who decided libdems should step aside for Soubry? Where is that decision taken?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Eschenique posted:

Germans still use a double "b" to say "s".

I believe it is actually a double s with the first 's' written as in old English like an 'f' without the middle stroke (which is how a mid-word s used to be written). Now it does look like a big B. (Phone posting else I would find images.)

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

still stunned at that marina hyde column and how she literally described fighting nazism as "trampling over liberal democracy"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

gh0stpinballa posted:

still stunned at that marina hyde column and how she literally described fighting nazism as "trampling over liberal democracy"

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Hi, mostly-lurker here. I've been following this thread for years and am very glad it"s been here to poke holes in media spin and keep my hatred of Lib Dems and Tories pure.

Also very glad for the bounty of resources to use when my Lib Dem friend tries to 'well, actually' the latest criticism of Lib Dems.

Speaking of which, are the Lib Dems actually talking about their policies? So far, they seem to just be hammering the brexit button while pretending they're a viable tactical vote in con-lab marginals.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1190918306171101184?s=19

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Anti-fascism, by suppressing the freedom of speech of fascists, prevents both fascists and anti-fascists from reaching fully disalienated class consciousness and thus liberation. Why do you hate the left so much as to suggest that class consciousness should be prevented?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

you'll have to explain here, what do the lies of a spy, sectarian psycho and nusra booster like oz have to do with neonazis attacking the democratic process in bolivia?

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Middle class people born into middle class families hold all important posts in major left leaning parties and organizations. They need to blur the line so they can keep their mansions and modest rental properties after the revolution.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Do keep in mind that Oz is pretty much genetically wired to always say the opposite of what is true.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

you'll have to explain here, what do the lies of a spy, sectarian psycho and nusra booster like oz have to do with neonazis attacking the democratic process in bolivia?

I just wanted to share with you Oz being a lying poo poo

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Jose posted:

I just wanted to share with you Oz being a lying poo poo

he is a huge turd

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol coward

https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1190923128807002112?s=19

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tesla was right posted:

Speaking of which, are the Lib Dems actually talking about their policies? So far, they seem to just be hammering the brexit button while pretending they're a viable tactical vote in con-lab marginals.

No. My wife was reading thier pamplet last night, and said its vauge comments and mostly bashing the two main parties.

My lad saw it and asked her to turn bacl to the pickof granda.
He was looking at a pic of jeremy corbin.
Granda is an active tory.

This never fails to amuse me.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Grey Hunter posted:

No. My wife was reading thier pamplet last night, and said its vauge comments and mostly bashing the two main parties.

Old Labour and New Labour?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The "Remain Alliance" is a transparent ploy to put their own party interests before the country (why else wouldn't they be working with the SNP). Considering the TIGgers (or CUKTIG-ML or whatever loving factions they've split into these days) can't win anything in their own right, but can siphon off a bunch of the disaffected Tory votes that would otherwise go yellow, throwing Soubry a bone is only natural (not that the LDs stand a chance in Broxtowe anyway) to stop them from targetting LD seats. Likewise Grieve in Beaconsfield, both of these are strong Tory seats that none of the various lib factions stand a chance in, but if they pool their efforts they can stop Labour from turning them red, and keep the independents from splitting the centrist vote in LD swing seats such as *checks notes* wtf Kensington and Somerset North-East, this can't be right.

If Labour win and stop Brexit, that would be a loving disaster for the Lib Dems, because it puts their past 3 years of posturing straight down the shitter. An alliance (combined with constantly punching left, take a scroll down their Twitter feed, seriously) is a way to make it look like they're taking Brexit seriously, potentially getting them a few extra seats, whilst actually just trying to keep Labour out so they get to carry on their gimmick. Yeah it might drive a few of their activists off, but honestly the activists that hung on through the coalition years are so loving tribal that they'd pretty much vote for anybody in a yellow rosette, they don't give a poo poo about policy or personality.

Unrelated, I don't read the Times but a retired former colleague keeps sending me stuff: Labour asks about Domininc Cummings' years working in Russia

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what the gently caress is wrong with these guido freaks

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1190686490931662848

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Best for Britain are defending their lovely 'vote lib dems lmao' advice https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/03/best-for-britain-tactical-voting-only-way-stop-brexit

They gave 3 specific examples of where the Lib Dems are "clearly" best placed to stop the Tories and like, not being rude or anti-Lib Dem here but I cannot see how a swing that big happens, there are too many anti-austerity Labour voters that wouldn't back the tactical voting.

Stuff like "Conservatives and Labour polled 82.4% combined in 2017, the evidence is that they will struggle to get more than 66%" but how much of that is likely to be Brexit Party?

"We are not relying on ancient data from 2017" that data isn't ancient and it's actual results not just polling.

"One place we haven’t done this, Kensington, is because Labour is so far behind the Lib Dems that backing them could give the seat back to the Tories" I legitimately can't even parse this, like I must be looking at the wrong results or something because

I just don't buy that there's been such a huge shift there, "Labour is so far behind the Lib Dems" seems like it's probably a fib, and there are also a ton of anti-austerity voters in the shadow of Grenfell especially.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

TheRat posted:

Do keep in mind that Oz is pretty much genetically wired to always say the opposite of what is true.

a pro-jihadi intelligence asset writing for the new statesman, posting selfies with the countdown woman and urging people to vote lib dem is so oddly fitting for 2019

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

gh0stpinballa posted:

?

I googled for it and found

quote:

Once leftwingers couldn’t eulogise Venezuela any more, their fandom transferred to Evo Morales in Bolivia. Forgive the spoilers, but if you’re keeping up with the show you’ll note that Evo has since trampled over liberal democracy, and Bolivia is this week mired in violent political protests amid claims he rigged the election.

Morales being allergic to term limits is not a news internationally... nor it is unusual. of the 'pink tide' of the oughts, probably only Ricardo Lagos of Chile can be said to have unambiguously surrendered power at the end of his term in an uncontested way. This itself is a reflection of the Latin American love affair with democratic processes that yield ambiguous mandates, combined with middle-income-trap urban areas with statistics akin to Southern Europe, electing a government jointly with rural regions with development statistics more similar to subsaharan Africa. It's a permanently toxic stew.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ronya posted:

?

I googled for it and found

Morales being allergic to term limits is not a news internationally... nor it is unusual. of the 'pink tide' of the oughts, probably only Ricardo Lagos of Chile can be said to have unambiguously surrendered power at the end of his term in an uncontested way. This itself is a reflection of the Latin American love affair with democratic processes that yield ambiguous mandates, combined with middle-income-trap urban areas with statistics akin to Southern Europe, electing a government jointly with rural regions with development statistics more similar to subsaharan Africa. It's a permanently toxic stew.

https://twitter.com/GaiusGracchus65/status/1189338776100921345

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/TomKibasi/status/1190762581671251968?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Braggart posted:

You think? Then tell me what this basic level German sentence means: "Sie sind sehr gut".

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Boring as hell question about terfs that's been on and off bugging me for the last week.

What the hell do you do when they go "Oh so you don't care about ciswomen then?" when they bring up stuff like "People will self-identify to get into women's spaces and the women are scared of this happening" and I'm going "That literally doesn't happen, here's a report that says it doesn't happen." and they go "But what if it did, don't you care about women?"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chucat posted:

Boring as hell question about terfs that's been on and off bugging me for the last week.

What the hell do you do when they go "Oh so you don't care about ciswomen then?" when they bring up stuff like "People will self-identify to get into women's spaces and the women are scared of this happening" and I'm going "That literally doesn't happen, here's a report that says it doesn't happen." and they go "But what if it did, don't you care about women?"

You tell them to gently caress off with trying to legitimise their bigotry..

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

You tell them to gently caress off with trying to legitimise their bigotry..

This is hard when they're a work colleague, but I will keep it in mind for when it happens online.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Compare with stats showing trans people get assaulted all the time?

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Chucat posted:

Harassing/creeping on women in the women's bathroom is already illegal under current law regardless of the legal/biological gender/sex of the offender.

Any examples they will cite will be stuff like "the offender stormed into the bathroom and attacked a woman... ... ... sentenced to X"

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 3, 2019

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

that headline in the bottom right is not to be missed. have they found out about our bean activities

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Jose posted:

Compare with stats showing trans people get assaulted all the time?

I did that and it was pretty much "Yeah they should have safe spaces too but I don't know how that works"

Also I brought up transmen and got told that didn't matter and they could go whereever.

...It was rather irritating tbh.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

In our local area (still waiting to find out who the Labour candidate is *) , the Swale Independents ** aren't doing candidates this time because they've decided that people are going to be treating it as a proxy referendum vot.

* They'd better be from the area, or people are going to be upset, though the hardcore will still hold their noses and vote Labour

** Swale Independents are odd - they seem to only be a party in that they pool resources for independent candidates to be able to stand and run an election campaign on a better footing than Independents usually do.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Chucat posted:

and they go "But what if it did, don't you care about women?"

my succinct answer to this exciting scenario (video probably on the NSFW side I guess)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Chucat posted:

"But what if it did, don't you care about women?"
But it loving doesn't, whereas you admit that

Jose posted:

trans people get assaulted all the time
so at this point you're just making up lies to excuse not giving a poo poo about trans women being assaulted and worse.

Why do you hate trans women?

e:

Chucat posted:

Also I brought up transmen and got told that didn't matter and they could go whereever.
Yeah sure I'm sure they'd be totally fine with big muscly bearded dudes going into women's spaces just because they happen to have a vagina, not gonna turn any heads there

Beginning to suspect the bigot you're arguing with might not be acting entirely in good faith...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chucat posted:

This is hard when they're a work colleague, but I will keep it in mind for when it happens online.

Just lol if you haven't already threatened to punch a colleague over some dumb poo poo they said (long time ago now, in around '05, one started raving about Iraq & how we should nuke the savages & turn the desert to glass & I didn't take that very diplomatically)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chucat posted:

If white women wanted to keep black women out of women’s spaces because they felt uncomfortable you’d laugh at them.