Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

What does this have to do with whether Donald Trump is purposefully doing Russia's bidding or not?
It has nothing to do with it and it need not have anything to do with it. Criticizing people who are trying to use the plain fact of collusion as a shield from criticism of their own failures, doesn't imply that you believe the collusion didn't happen. It doesn't even mean you think it happened but it didn't matter. It just means that you recognize that, regardless of whether Russian help pushed him over the line or not, we have a loving problem with fascism in this country which is a direct result of Democratic leadership both in their failure to provide an effective opposition to the GOP and in their failure to make meaningful change to improve people's lives when they did have the chance. And instead of owning up to that after a disastrous defeat in 2016, they've instead concluded that Donald Trump would not have won save for Russia interference and that, therefore, they need not change a thing. They use it as a shield from criticism, and when called out on it they use this idea of leftists being secret allies of Putin as a cudgel against the left. It's extraordinarily dishonest and no one should stand for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Yeah it's definitely not that the lanyard class has been banging on the Russia drum for three loving years to cover for their own dismal failures in governance and the giant Donald Trump-sized hole they left in our institutions for the fash to just waltz right through in to power.
i think i get it but what exactly is the "lanyard class"

/e: tax

stringless fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 3, 2019

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

saintonan posted:

So ridiculous. Execution is the ultimate penalty, especially for shitters like Brit Hume who cheerlead the death penalty. In Trump's case, we just want to fire him. Losing your job isn't remotely the ultimate penalty.

but you see, the president is a white republican and thus any penalty at all is tantamount to literal execution in Brit's eyes

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

It has nothing to do with it and it need not have anything to do with it. Criticizing people who are trying to use the plain fact of collusion as a shield from criticism of their own failures, doesn't imply that you believe the collusion didn't happen. It doesn't even mean you think it happened but it didn't matter. It just means that you recognize that, regardless of whether Russian help pushed him over the line or not, we have a loving problem with fascism in this country which is a direct result of Democratic leadership both in their failure to provide an effective opposition to the GOP and in their failure to make meaningful change to improve people's lives when they did have the chance. And instead of owning up to that after a disastrous defeat in 2016, they've instead concluded that Donald Trump would not have won save for Russia interference and that, therefore, they need not change a thing. They use it as a shield from criticism, and when called out on it they use this idea of leftists being secret allies of Putin as a cudgel against the left. It's extraordinarily dishonest and no one should stand for it.

This sounds really specific and 'inside baseball' to the point where I'm not even sure we're actually talking about the same thing.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Sure, and that's cool, and those people should be called out, and changes be made, but there are posters in this thread that still leap to call it a conspiracy theory on the level of pizzagate really, really often, and swear up and down that it's not real, or if it was real, then it doesn't matter because we also have other problems we should be paying attention to. There are people who yell about how it's red-baiting to even suggest Russia's doing bad poo poo or that Russian oligarchs are stuffing the pockets of a whole lot of our politicians. I mean, I lurk this thread constantly, it happens nearly every time this topic comes up.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

This sounds really specific and 'inside baseball' to the point where I'm not even sure we're actually talking about the same thing.
:shrug: probably

Thing is that the criticism that gets directed at the left about this stuff almost always conflates what I'm talking about, with "oh so you don't think collusion happened at all then huh?" and this is a good example of it, actually. The post by sexpig by night literally describes Trump colluding with Putin, like as a plausible scenario, but because he doesn't describe it in the way you're supposed to (and probably because it's a sexpig by night post and they hate each other) Skex completely disregards that and replies as though he just read a post that completely denied that collusion happened. In fact I'm not sure it even registered that sexpig by night actually did just describe collusion - it's reflexive at this point for some people. And so this stupidity repeats itself over and over again.

FFT posted:

i think i get it but what exactly is the "lanyard class"
https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=162368

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

kartikeya posted:

Sure, and that's cool, and those people should be called out, and changes be made, but there are posters in this thread that still leap to call it a conspiracy theory on the level of pizzagate really, really often, and swear up and down that it's not real, or if it was real, then it doesn't matter because we also have other problems we should be paying attention to. There are people who yell about how it's red-baiting to even suggest Russia's doing bad poo poo or that Russian oligarchs are stuffing the pockets of a whole lot of our politicians. I mean, I lurk this thread constantly, it happens nearly every time this topic comes up.
I really think you're reading something into posts that isn't there.

Like there is a big difference between "collusion happened but it didn't make a difference to the election - Hillary still would have lost" and "collusion didn't happen at all." And for that matter "collusion happened and it did make a difference - Hillary would have won but given the margins she would have won by, and given the candidate she still would have only barely defeated (and taking into context the electoral history of the last eight years or so, etc etc), clearly we have a problem and need to try different things." Saying collusion didn't happen isn't a reasonable opinion, but few people here actually hold it. A lot of people do hold one of the other two opinions, however, but for some reason they keep getting put in this "collusion didn't happen" bucket anyway and, like I said, it's very dishonest and they shouldn't have to stand for it.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

wealth is just providence. get more god leftist scum

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Here’s your daily reminder that Trump should’ve been impeached for the concentration camps on the border, and also we’re all going to hell.

https://twitter.com/carlos_film/status/1190847356624703488?s=21

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

super helpful since i totally know how that relates, thanks

anyone else want to explain "lanyard class" or is this an MSDOS KAPITAL thing i'm just noticing

like is it journalists? low-to-mid level politician and politician-adjacent people (of a certain leaning, i guess)? TLAs? who fuckin' knows

at least PJ's terms make sense in context

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I really think you're reading something into posts that isn't there.

Like there is a big difference between "collusion happened but it didn't make a difference to the election - Hillary still would have lost" and "collusion didn't happen at all." And for that matter "collusion happened and it did make a difference - Hillary would have won but given the margins she would have won by, and given the candidate she still would have only barely defeated (and taking into context the electoral history of the last eight years or so, etc etc), clearly we have a problem and need to try different things." Saying collusion didn't happen isn't a reasonable opinion, but few people here actually hold it. A lot of people do hold one of the other two opinions, however, but for some reason they keep getting put in this "collusion didn't happen" bucket anyway and, like I said, it's very dishonest and they shouldn't have to stand for it.

I agree with you, I'm merely saying that, yeah, I've seen people write that poo poo. Not many people, but it's happened. Now, it's very possible, probably even likely, that they meant it in a more nuanced way, but no one on any side in this thread tends to do great with nuance, especially when tempers are up and they're writing quickly.

On the other hand, yeah, there are a bunch of idiots who like to use Russia Russia Russia as an excuse for all of 2016's failings (and beyond). Most of them don't post in this thread (although I've seen a few) but oh boy are they all over Twitter and the cable news networks.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

:shrug: probably

Thing is that the criticism that gets directed at the left about this stuff almost always conflates what I'm talking about, with "oh so you don't think collusion happened at all then huh?" and this is a good example of it, actually. The post by sexpig by night literally describes Trump colluding with Putin, like as a plausible scenario, but because he doesn't describe it in the way you're supposed to (and probably because it's a sexpig by night post and they hate each other) Skex completely disregards that and replies as though he just read a post that completely denied that collusion happened. In fact I'm not sure it even registered that sexpig by night actually did just describe collusion - it's reflexive at this point for some people. And so this stupidity repeats itself over and over again.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=162368

Heh, I don't keep up with individual posters but it is funny because on its own that post reads like it was just throwing that "Russiagate nonsense" bit out there to appease anyone who might otherwise chime in with "you aren't taking that too seriously, are you, because let me tell you the real enemy is..." :goonsay:

Because yeah, the post was basically "This sure looks a lot like Russian collusion (but don't worry I don't actually believe in Russian collusion)."

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

FFT posted:

anyone else want to explain "lanyard class" or is this an MSDOS KAPITAL thing i'm just noticing

like is it journalists? low-to-mid level politician and politician-adjacent people (of a certain leaning, i guess)? TLAs? who fuckin' knows

As far as I’ve ever been able to tell it refers to anyone involved in politics at all except for people who work for Bernie Sanders or a select few other candidates and organizations like DSA. It basically means “people I don’t like”.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

FFT posted:

Sorry I didn't think you were seriously asking so I made a non-serious reply. It doesn't matter. Just pretend I said "centrist Dem" or "establishment Dems and the people who defend them" or something like that. It's close enough.

Ogmius815 posted:

As far as I’ve ever been able to tell it refers to anyone involved in politics at all except for people who work for Bernie Sanders or a select few other candidates and organizations like DSA. It basically means “people I don’t like”.
You only have one post but you do manage to make the best of it, I'll give you that.

Heh, I don't keep up with individual posters but it is funny because on its own that post reads like it was just throwing that "Russiagate nonsense" bit out there to appease anyone who might otherwise chime in with "you aren't taking that too seriously, are you, because let me tell you the real enemy is..." :goonsay:

Because yeah, the post was basically "This sure looks a lot like Russian collusion (but don't worry I don't actually believe in Russian collusion)."
I'm fairly certain that wasn't the intent. Calling it "Russiagate" kind of gives it away. For me, at least. I'll stop speaking on sexpig by night's behalf now, though.

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 3, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Sorry I didn't think you were seriously asking so I made a non-serious reply. It doesn't matter. Just pretend I said "centrist Dem" or "establishment Dems and the people who defend them" or something like that. It's close enough.
it was a serious question at first but lol that's fuckin' dumb

"centrist dems, known for their lanyards,"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ogmius815 posted:

It's a technocratic center-leftists who jump from candidate/cause to cause(thus collecting lanyard IDs) with little interest in actual policies. Focusing rather on the accumulation of power and governing for the sake of governing, rather than to actually do something. They are very concerned about political capital and will look to message their way out of a jam instead of actually doing something different. They identify with the West Wing's Bartlett staff and think Josh(the Rahm Emanuel proxy) is a super loving awesome roll model.

It's like numbers fuckensteins and the pejorative use of liberal.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I always equated "lanyard class" with those political wonks you see working for centrists, wearing lanyards who were completely out of touch with the political reality of any situation and instead responded to any critical piece of information with a doubling down of their clearly asinine strategy.

Edit: Gyges said it better than me

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Gyges posted:

It's a technocratic center-leftists who jump from candidate/cause to cause(thus collecting lanyard IDs) with little interest in actual policies. Focusing rather on the accumulation of power and governing for the sake of governing, rather than to actually do something. They are very concerned about political capital and will look to message their way out of a jam instead of actually doing something different. They identify with the West Wing's Bartlett staff and think Josh(the Rahm Emanuel proxy) is a super loving awesome roll model.

So "low-to-mid level politician and politician-adjacent people (of a certain leaning, i guess)" but specifically for not quite the absolute worst possible reasons. Got it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

I know its not a tweet, but this is loving massive. This judge is going to gently caress everything up

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

lol

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

From the 302s I have perused it seems like Mueller really stuck to his mandate and didn't really investigate the finances and if he did find some conspiracy he didn't follow it to its logical conclusion. It may have been because the Trump campaign used Whatsapp and lied but it also could be a bit more sinister in that he gave a pass to people in his own party.

Do you think the Investigation into 2016 would have gone differently if it had been a Democrat instead of Mueller investigating?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ManBoyChef posted:

From the 302s I have perused it seems like Mueller really stuck to his mandate and didn't really investigate the finances and if he did find some conspiracy he didn't follow it to its logical conclusion. It may have been because the Trump campaign used Whatsapp and lied but it also could be a bit more sinister in that he gave a pass to people in his own party.

Do you think the Investigation into 2016 would have gone differently if it had been a Democrat instead of Mueller investigating?

He spun some off into their own investigations under other departments didn't he?

He had a reputation for being anal and by the book. I'm not surprised he didn't want to get distracted by the oceans of crime committed by the Trumps. He had one target and the Dems are acting the same way now with Ukraine. If they tried to investigate everything, it wouldn't end on anything even approaching a practical timeline.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FFT posted:

it was a serious question at first but lol that's fuckin' dumb

"centrist dems, known for their lanyards,"

Bonus hour nite crew is wild

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

There's definitely a contingent of D&D that gets all defensive and incredulous about 'Russigate' and it's seriously off-putting. Like we can connect-the-dots with Epstein and Cop-case witness murders but get low-key dissmissive with Trump being obsequious to Russia (and Russian interference in general).

I can't really fathom why except that I guess Russia = USSR = Communist = Leftist and it's all some dumb tribal thing, but it can't possibly be that stupid and petty can it?

This is because the far-left narrative is that Clinton lost because she was too far right, and the solution to that is to tack far left next election. If it turns out that she lost because of Republican/Russian skullduggery, that narrative is challenged.

It’s not because they are dumb enough to still believe Russia is communist. They just think that Russiagate is overblown and basically an excuse for losing.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Yeah, this was the point I was trying to make a few pages back. Not sure how the conversation turned into whether or not Russia pushed Trump over the finish line in 2016. I just find it incredible that anyone can think Russiagate is “nonsense” when every day the president inexplicably makes decisions that benefit Putin. And it’s not because Trump just thinks he’s a cool dude.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

There is a UFC fighter named Cole Covington who is a huge Trump supporter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1190377786382471168

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BarbarianElephant posted:

This is because the far-left narrative is that Clinton lost because she was too far right, and the solution to that is to tack far left next election. If it turns out that she lost because of Republican/Russian skullduggery, that narrative is challenged.

It’s not because they are dumb enough to still believe Russia is communist. They just think that Russiagate is overblown and basically an excuse for losing.

Clinton lost because she was too far right AND because of Republican and Russian skullduggery.

Frankly, I find this way of thinking extremely counterproductive. Republican/Russian interference is a problem for all Dems, lovely centrists and good lefties alike.
Good luck in 2022 if you haven't solved both problems, and to solve the interference problem you need to keep the narrative alive.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"They were saying "Boo-urns" Daddy!"

We now know what gets on Trump and Beavis and Butthead's nerves more than anything now though, so there is that :allears:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 3, 2019

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

How the hell does WWE lean Democratic? That's like the chudiest thing ever

It’s extremely popular with minorities.

Small sample size and anecdotal but back when I watched it (15 years ago...gently caress im old) everyone in our watch group was Hispanic or Bladk I was the white token lol.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 3, 2019

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

A rear end in a top hat white man in a suit who represents Management gets power bombed through a table by a young charismatic brown man.

"Why don't chud like this?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tibalt posted:

A rear end in a top hat white man in a suit who represents Management gets power bombed through a table by a young charismatic brown man.

"Why don't chud like this?"

seriously while there is poo poo like 'THIS GUY AIN'T FROM HERE AND THAT MAKES HIM THE BAD GUY' there's also tons of 'don't you just wanna do a fuckin stunner to your boss?' poo poo and that's basically what people like more because, ya know, we all wanna stunner the management.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

seriously while there is poo poo like 'THIS GUY AIN'T FROM HERE AND THAT MAKES HIM THE BAD GUY' there's also tons of 'don't you just wanna do a fuckin stunner to your boss?' poo poo and that's basically what people like more because, ya know, we all wanna stunner the management.

Vince getting knocked out with his own Bedpan never gets old :allears:

Also the best thing is when Vince's planned chuddy dumbshit backfires, like trying to make Rusev a heel and Roman Reigns a face, and the audience and fans actively rooting for Rusev because he is an immigrant representing the American dream, and Roman is like a charisma sponge

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 3, 2019

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Otteration posted:

'Sitting in class hungry': Schools wary of Trump plan to end free school lunches for some
usatoday.com/Oct. 27, 2019
'Nearly 1 million low-income students would lose automatic access to free school lunches under a proposal from President Donald Trump's administration that aims to limit the number of people receiving federal food stamps.

Doesn't public school assume parental responsibility during the school day? How is this not child abuse? Should we call the CPA?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1190995034163892226
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1190995042107887616

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

PerniciousKnid posted:

Doesn't public school assume parental responsibility during the school day? How is this not child abuse? Should we call the CPA?
Picture Newt Gingrich:
Well, you see, when you subcontract the food service to a third party vendor, you can't have the private sector subsidizing bad actors (poor people). Perhaps, if we apply criminal penalties then maybe they will learn to budget and prioritize.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Had to check the date on this one.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

A reminder that John Cena is cool and good

https://youtu.be/IApvU6SMq-8

Jeez why would chuds hate this?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

There is a UFC fighter named Cole Covington who is a huge Trump supporter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1190377786382471168

God drat Covington kids

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh good, we’re still on “just sweep the forest floor and take Oregon’s water somehow, WHY DOES NO ONE LISTEN TO ME”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

It's not the fascist fault that they are fascist, its everyone else's fault! It's funny how these same arguments are thrown out verbatim from Trump and his supporters. I mean this is the left's version of "This is why Trump won" bullshit that was prevalent right after the 2016 election. Are you going to blame slaves for slavery next?

LOL economic anxiety is back...