Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

there is no such thing as a game better than diablo 2

titan quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

grim dawn is alright also

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

Barudak posted:

MGS2 is either a brilliant thinker accidentally predicting how hosed up fake news would make our world and that communication for huge politically important things would be reduced to memes and give rise to populist fascism or an auteur fool blindly stumbling to that point, but either way they are prescient.

I refuse to believe that Kojima was capable of producing that without ripping it off from somewhere else. Dude barely understood how genes worked in MGS1.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Overwatch 2 is just Battleborn without swearing and its good multiplayer mode

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

overwatch 2 sounds kinda good

does it? it sounds like a boring wave based mode where you have to play those miserable character designs fighting boring robots

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Caesar Saladin posted:

does it? it sounds like a boring wave based mode where you have to play those miserable character designs fighting boring robots

So it took them a second game to rip off Mann vs Machine?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Someone insults Kojima games and everyone turns into 12 year olds calling eachother posers.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
People declaring games that haven't come out to be life changing experience seems to be a common gamer trait so my opinion is that it's dumb

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
ACCIDENTAL DOUBLE POST

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I've never even played a MGS game. The story stuff always seemed interesting to me but I have a burning hatred for stealth gameplay so it was always a no go for me.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ah, an argument about console games. How quaint.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I completed mgs4 but I hardly remember any of it

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

is pepsi ok posted:

I've never even played a MGS game. The story stuff always seemed interesting to me but I have a burning hatred for stealth gameplay so it was always a no go for me.

mgs/mgs2 has a lot less stealth than most modern games. killing everyone you see is a completely viable option unless you're playing the crazy difficulty modes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MGS4 and 5 are even less stealthy. It's always an option but you can just shoot through them or use all your weird gadgets. 5 is more of a sandbox game than a stealth game in general. poo poo, you can carpet bomb a level if you don't want to play it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh cool, Outlast 2 is a psn freebie, wasn't someone itt saying they loved it?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Oh cool, Outlast 2 is a psn freebie, wasn't someone itt saying they loved it?

If I still had a playstation this would be baller news.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Outlast 2 is so fuckin gross. also thought the first one was much creepier.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I read the plot for mgs 1 before I dipped my toe into 2/3/5 (no 4 on gamepass) and my head hurts and I have a cramp I think kojima put a curse on me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Death Stranding seems to be basically just The Postman, but with ghosts.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
MGS is fun in spite of the Kojima stuff in them which varies between endearing and hopelessly obnoxious often in the same play session

I feel like mgsv is probably the perfect game for him, it contains a lot of his weird indulgences (actually she has to be naked because of technical reasons!!) but the game is huge and amazing so its like cum on the curtains and not poo poo in the bed

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The N64 has no redeemable qualities

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the n64 had ogre battle 64 and that in and of itself justifies its existence, and that's not even touching upon harvest moon 64

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

the n64 had ogre battle 64 and that in and of itself justifies its existence, and that's not even touching upon harvest moon 64

Some of the games are okay in spite of the absolutely 100% bad console they are on, but the N64 was just a breeding chamber of bad game design practices

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

The N64 controller is a hand-cramping nightmare trident

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Also, i've said this before but: people who use a SNES controller to play NES games, and then opt to use A for A and B for B are insane. Retroarch does this and it's really loving annoying because the settings carry over into the menus so it gets all confusing if you try to map the keys properly.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

it's redeemed by having a number of classic titles in spite of itself

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

poverty goat posted:

it's redeemed by having a number of classic titles in spite of itself

Mario 64
Blast Corps
Harvest Moon
Ogre game
Mischief Makers, i guess
Smash Bros?? maybe

lol half of them are 2D games

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Is this where we pretend like OOT and MM weren't revolutionary?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jesus Christ lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

“a link to the past but it’s in dogshit 3D with less texture memory than a degraded floppy” was not as revolutionary as you seem to think

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

this might blow your mind but ocarina of time was literally released the same week as the dreamcast, it was not some pioneer or anything

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Yeah I guess nothing is significant if you describe it in a dismissively reductive tone.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

by all means name a single category it revolutionized. it was a super late and very mediocre game that gets looked on fondly because the 64’s library was so anemic

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Super Mario Bros was just a platformer with inertia.

Street Fighter 2 was just rock em sock em robots in an arcade cabinet.

Doom was just a top down shooter with clever graphics.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

im very sorry for hurting your fee-fees by not sucking off OoT as revolutionary but you are missing my point entirely

what do you think is revolutionary about it? what did it redefine or do better than anything else, other than “be on the 64”?

e: it is pretty funny you listed off a bunch of unrelated games in the worlds worst attempt at a straw man though

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 3, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

internet celebrity posted:

I could never get into OOT. The puzzles felt super basic and the world was completely boring to explore, all the grognardy RPGs I had for my PC had already spoiled me in that regard.

The combat is boring and doesn't take much thought/effort, rupees are practically useless, and the puzzles that the game is so praised for are often about moving boxes and shooting targets. I'm thankful that they developed revolutionary technology while making it (they did a lot of good work regarding camera angles in 3d) but it doesn't make the main quest or the the world any more interesting, but it's not like people go around praising OOT for it's compelling narrative.

Not an unpopular opinion anymore, thank god lol.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 3, 2019

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

food court bailiff posted:

by all means name a single category it revolutionized. it was a super late and very mediocre game that gets looked on fondly because the 64’s library was so anemic
Enough time has passed that people confuse release dates and treat OoT like it defined the genre, because it's the only thing that would make sense

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

Enough time has passed that people confuse release dates and treat OoT like it defined the genre, because it's the only thing that would make sense

it’s really funny lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

internet celebrity posted:

OOT sucks. i got it as a kid for christmas 1998 and i never beat the drat thing even to this day.

thats not true of Link to the Past, I've played LttP dozens of times to completion. same with Zelda 1 & 2 for NES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The N64 zelda games just made Zelda cinematic and added tedious block puzzles and stuff. There were some good moments but I honestly think they kind of suck rear end on the whole, there's very little player skill involved.