Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
OK Toshimo I may have missed your joke but I'm not editing it because I am Too Proud.

BTW Bridge From Below is also completely fine, when you have to dedicate basically the entire 75 to utilizing it, I think at that point it's just a card.

The introduction of Altar of Dementia and Hogaak broke Bridge lists, so I think perhaps the problem is them.

Altar of Dementia is one of those cards you will never ever use fairly, it's 100% just combo enabler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I have succeeded in losing a game after embleming that once, may be more rare thabln losing after a Teferi emblem.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cactrot posted:

Bridge was relatively innocuous and mostly a curiosity until it was in a deck that broke modern for a couple months, and even then it wasn't actually the problem that needed solving.

Bridge is/was one of the defining cards in old Extended, Legacy, and Vintage, so relatively innocuous is a bit of a stretch

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The only remotely reasonable errata on Oko would be to lie and say they forgot to add a timing element, like how Invert//Invent neglected to specify 'until end of turn'. Somehow nobody noticed because he's a planeswalker and they thought the permanent change was intentional. (:rolleyes:)

And so his +1 becomes "Until your next turn, target artifact or creature becomes a 3/3 green Elk creature and loses all other types and abilities."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ungulateman posted:

The only remotely reasonable errata on Oko would be to lie and say they forgot to add a timing element, like how Invert//Invent neglected to specify 'until end of turn'. Somehow nobody noticed because he's a planeswalker and they thought the permanent change was intentional. (:rolleyes:)

And so his +1 becomes "Until your next turn, target artifact or creature becomes a 3/3 green Elk creature and loses all other types and abilities."

I could see that. Or claim the +1 was a -1. Too late now of course for either fix.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I feel like the only way I can win with Red, which is my favorite archetype, in this really lovely meta is to pick the most receptive deity to pray to and request that it give me an early Robber of the Rich which then goes on to steal from an Oko since they're all loving Oko players now.

Honestly I don't really know if this is a problem in IRL Magic but Arena just has the worst poo poo where some jackass plays blue/white and just sits around exiling and countering your cards and I don't know how it's possible a game can go on for decades and not put a limit on this poo poo somehow.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

SunAndSpring posted:

Honestly I don't really know if this is a problem in IRL Magic but Arena just has the worst poo poo where some jackass plays blue/white and just sits around exiling and countering your cards and I don't know how it's possible a game can go on for decades and not put a limit on this poo poo somehow.

there's always been That Guy who plays a draw-go control deck in every playgroup but in typical constructed they usually get dealt with by the best-of-3 format allowing people to sideboard in counterplay (generally more/faster threats or uncounterable threats or things that target their annoying removal enchantments/artifacts/planeswalkers) so it doesn't surprise me they're more aggravating in a best-of-one format

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Elyv posted:

Bridge is/was one of the defining cards in old Extended, Legacy, and Vintage, so relatively innocuous is a bit of a stretch

Yeah but bridge is still unbanned in all of them so it must not be too busted.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cactrot posted:

Yeah but bridge is still unbanned in all of them so it must not be too busted.

mox opal is legal in modern so it must be relatively innocuous in that format

also part of the reason Dread Return was originally banned in modern was definitely fear of Dredge with Bridge

Elyv fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 3, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
good thread

https://twitter.com/armlx/status/1189304502832291843?s=20

SunAndSpring posted:

You think that's annoying? Check out what I play in Pauper:

https://scryfall.com/@Hellsau/decks/2964f072-5d45-4be7-befe-e4242ee29039

The format is so hosed up right now that I'm jamming four Moment's Peace (Fog with Flashback) and four Stonehorn Dignitary (four mana 1/4 that skips the opponent's next combat step) in the maindeck, plus a bunch of Flickers and Ephemerates and Mnemonic Walls to ensure the opponent just never gets to attack. At least the Blue White control decks on Arena aren't also the best deck in the format.

Elyv posted:

mox opal is legal in modern so it must be relatively innocuous in that format

also part of the reason Dread Return was originally banned in modern was definitely fear of Dredge with Bridge

Dread Return would gently caress up Modern something fierce.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is playing a bunch of islands for Mystic Sanctuary just not worth it without Astrolabe to give you perfect coloured mana?

As much as I'm glad Astrolabe's gone, it would have been interesting to see just how degenerate that deck would have been.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jabor posted:

Is playing a bunch of islands for Mystic Sanctuary just not worth it without Astrolabe to give you perfect coloured mana?

As much as I'm glad Astrolabe's gone, it would have been interesting to see just how degenerate that deck would have been.

I'd rather play non-blue colored mana sources to reliably cast the anti-combat cards, since so many decks just can't beat it. There's probably a Sanctuary build available but I'm too lazy to even try to find it.

i went 34-6 in eight leagues in the last three days - four 5-0s, two 4-1s, two 3-2s. The deck is just ridiculous and will be until people remember that Delver of Secrets is a broken magic card and start playing that again.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hellsau posted:

I'd rather play non-blue colored mana sources to reliably cast the anti-combat cards, since so many decks just can't beat it. There's probably a Sanctuary build available but I'm too lazy to even try to find it.

i went 34-6 in eight leagues in the last three days - four 5-0s, two 4-1s, two 3-2s. The deck is just ridiculous and will be until people remember that Delver of Secrets is a broken magic card and start playing that again.

What are the Dispels in the board for anyway? Delver and the mirror?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

"shudder"

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Shuffling was a long-standing, evergreen argument at my LGS since an insane number of MTG players can't make the logical leap to "if you're mana weaving, you're trying to beat randomness"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m honestly not sure how I’d respond to someone trying to argue in favor of Mana-Weaving IRL, besides turning red from my unceasing, judgmental laughter.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I've gotten back into MTG as a result of indexing my collection (with original plans to sell it off) and ultimately starting up on MTG Arena instead...plan failed I guess.

I think I'd like to casually get back into paper MTG without having to drop a sizeable chunk of money into it to enjoy the game. What are the best formats for me to consider doing this? I'm not looking to be the king of the local shop, just be competitive with a chance at winning some games. Maybe spend up to $200 to initially get back into it.

Random details what might help your suggestions.

• There's a lot of MTG and FNM hosting shops near me (Chicago burbs).
  • It also seems like some of my older cards would fit Commander builds.
  • I've enjoyed playing Standard online with a mono black Vamp deck so far (modified Out for Blood).
  • Old Collection: https://deckbox.org/sets/2396123?s=i&o=d

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I think I've only ever seen mana weaving in the wild once: I had put together U/b mill with Patient Rebuilding in a M19 draft and made it to the final round. My opponent was playing boros aggro and got a fast start in game 1 but I stabilized, got the Rebuilding on the board and was milling him out. For several turns in a row I would mill away 2-3 spells, then he would draw a land. Same thing happened in game 2. At the time I was too entertained by the audacity of pulling off the win to think about it but afterwards I was like "hey, wait a minute".

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It takes about 7 riffles to randomize a deck. No one is going to "let" their opponent do that to their cards each time, so mana weaving is a net gain for them

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

gepgepgep posted:

I've gotten back into MTG as a result of indexing my collection (with original plans to sell it off) and ultimately starting up on MTG Arena instead...plan failed I guess.

I think I'd like to casually get back into paper MTG without having to drop a sizeable chunk of money into it to enjoy the game. What are the best formats for me to consider doing this? I'm not looking to be the king of the local shop, just be competitive with a chance at winning some games. Maybe spend up to $200 to initially get back into it.

• I've enjoyed playing Standard online with a mono black Vamp deck so far (modified Out for Blood).

spend $200 on a couple of cool pauper decks, which don't rotate like standard so you won't have to keep spending money

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

spend $200 on a couple of cool pauper decks, which don't rotate like standard so you won't have to keep spending money

Counterpoint: Finding regular paper pauper matches may be fundamentally impossible so don't do this.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

I'm so old I remember when Toshimo was nice all the time.

But for real don't buy pauper decks unless you plan to put them in a hat for 2 ppl to play with or have a dedicated paper pauper scene nearby because the format is awesome but not as widely played as you might want if you are going to buy 2-4 ($200 worth) of decks

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

gepgepgep posted:

i'd start with identifying the formats you want to play. do a little research on the local shops to see what formats get are popular and find one that fits your budget.

modern is probably too expensive
you could build a mono black standard deck for cheap, but standard requires buying new cards to stay up to date
pioneer might work out but it's a very new format so the metagame and whether it will develop a local scene are kind of unknowns
pauper is a good idea if there's events near you that fire regularly
edh is popular everywhere but not everyone likes the playstyle or having to play it with lgs randoms
draft owns, and is a cheap way to get your feet wet.

starting out i'd recommend going to drafts or cobbling a commander deck together from what you have plus some cheap singles. go to a bunch of local shops, figure out what ones you like, and talk to people to see what formats are popular. it's a good idea to figure out where and what you want to play before you spend any serious money

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Counterpoint: Finding regular paper pauper matches may be fundamentally impossible so don't do this.

yea figure out which local events actually fire before buying an entire construed deck

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions so far all, appreciate the input! I'll definitely look at Commander and Standard (affordable). I'm not closed off to some ongoing investment, but just didn't want to have to dump immediately in case the interest fizzled out.

Is there any online tool that lets me compare my deckbox or tcg inventories to decklists on some of the deck meta websites?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Don't play commander. Commander is poo poo.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

Don't play commander. Commander is poo poo.

Don't listen to this bad take, join us in the Commander thread and we can give some advice on how to get into the format.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it’s the fastest growing and most popular format and honestly it’s easier to build a fun budget Commander deck than literally a deck in any other paper format.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's one of the only formats not dominated by elks right now, too :v:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah it’s the fastest growing and most popular format

lmao no it's not

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Lone Goat posted:

lmao no it's not

Yeah that’s probably why they announced 10 Commander specific products for 2020

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Just wanted to say

The PTQ Winning list

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2457042#paper

Is broken. I fired it up and immediately went 9-1 across two leagues. Ordered the missing pieces I had in paper immediately.

Eventually may eat a ban; but I'm willing to chance that for the missing less-than-$200 I had to pick up

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nexus of Fate sucks so much wet rear end Jesus Christ

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Walked posted:

Just wanted to say

The PTQ Winning list

Is broken. I fired it up and immediately went 9-1 across two leagues. Ordered the missing pieces I had in paper immediately.

Eventually may eat a ban; but I'm willing to chance that for the missing less-than-$200 I had to pick up

Eventually might be tomorrow.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Green devotion is putting up big numbers but I am not really sure its that broken. Considering its backbone is leyline and mana dorks that seems easily disrupt-able.

If I was going to put together a ban list for tomorrow it would be dig, cruise, and oko.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

gepgepgep posted:

Thanks for the suggestions so far all, appreciate the input! I'll definitely look at Commander and Standard (affordable). I'm not closed off to some ongoing investment, but just didn't want to have to dump immediately in case the interest fizzled out.

Is there any online tool that lets me compare my deckbox or tcg inventories to decklists on some of the deck meta websites?

I just built Mono Red Prowess in Pioneer for 50 bucks and it gets me fun matches. I don't feel like Standard is where you wanna be right now considering the last three sets.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Walked posted:

Just wanted to say

The PTQ Winning list

Most of the 7-3 or better decks in that tournament are an Oko/Teferi/Saheeli deadly combo. The UG decks look like they can be powerful without Oko or Nissa; the problem there is Nexus of Fate. I expect some or all of those three Planeswalkers and possibly Nexus to be on the ban radar, if not tomorrow then soon.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If someone poo poo talks Commander it's either because they are bad at friends or hate fun

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

If someone poo poo talks Commander it's either because they are bad at friends or hate fun

Or they made the mistake of playing with randos at any point in their life. They looked at the ban list. Or they looked at the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Counterpoint: I don't like Commander, but it's because I'm bad at fun and hate friends.