Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

XMNN posted:

just ran into some labour canvassers when I was out for a walk and got the guys number :thumbsup:

is this for dating or campaign volunteering or both

whichever way good job well done

e: 31 is Turkish slang for male masturbation ("otuzbir")[citation needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

"average of last 3 projections for York Outer by flavible.com"

okay let's have a look.

https://flavible.co.uk/methodology

So right off the bat they're assuming that 20% of gains made by the BXP are siphoned from 2017 Labour voters.

And then we have the steaming turd that is Brexit Weight.

Now I could ask if flavible.com is flavible.co.uk but it redirects.

Ratjaculation posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again polls are total poo poo, utterly meaningless

E: and if you put the most recent opinium poll's weighting through this bullshit methodology, the only poll on the flavible database to happen since the 31st, it shows York Outer being a conservative landslide with Labour and the Lib Dems close to each other in 2nd.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 3, 2019

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ThatTimWalker/status/1190569014088601600

Think this is the most FBPE tweet ever done. A bank, famous for money laundering for the Mexican Drug cartels and a bunch of other dodgy poo poo, makes a poo poo advert with a midrange comedian and it's all forgiven.

Worthless people, worthless movement.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gonzo McFee posted:

You could also bring up that he has a slew of bastard children, he's been caught cheating on pretty much every girlfriend and wife he's had and even pushed the women he cheated with to get abortions, he has been fired twice from the press for being caught out on blatant lies (One of which was him using his uncle to land a front page story where he just made up quotes hoping his uncle would be too embarrassed to call him out on it) and is, by all accounts, just a massive oval office.

When I brought up his compulsive lying I got the "all politicians lie"

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jose posted:

When I brought up his compulsive lying I got the "all politicians lie"
I got the exact same response from a Lib Dem the other day. It's just something people say to justify voting for shitlords

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did some canvassing today, it's depressing how little people know or care about politics.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Did these two things get shared in here yet?

https://twitter.com/SirajAHashmi/status/1190827744155832320?s=20

(Not UKpol but hilarious).

https://twitter.com/TheSinanKose/status/1190988182176841735?s=20

(Very much UKpol and also hilarious)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Now that there is an election the press want ratings and that involves holding people to account again

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1191022548567384064?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Did some canvassing today, it's depressing how little people know or care about politics.

That's pretty much the point of canvassing though, especially in an election campaign. Most people have got problems that are far more real and important to them to what goes on at Westminster. Find out what their problems are, and explain how voting for Labour can help them. If you find yourself talking about politics you're doing it wrong, IMO.

e: Don't forget there's an entire gigantic machine - from their bosses to the national media and a big chunk of politicians - who desperately *want* people to not see their personal problems as having political solutions.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 3, 2019

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol that the Lib Dem grand strategy to steal Labour votes is to blatantly lie in a way that makes it extremely easy to show in a single image just how blatantly they are lying.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's pretty much the point of canvassing though, especially in an election campaign. Most people have got problems that are far more real and important to them to what goes on at Westminster. Find out what their problems are, and explain how voting for Labour can help them. If you find yourself talking about politics you're doing it wrong, IMO.

We didn't really get much of a chance, the few people I got to speak to were ardently convinced that voting made no difference or that there was no difference between any of the parties.

Just depressing, people start from an assumption and then backfill it with fact shaped phrases to support the assumption, and there's no good basis on which to change any part of that.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Bardeh posted:

lol that the Lib Dem grand strategy to steal Labour votes is to blatantly lie in a way that makes it extremely easy to show in a single image just how blatantly they are lying.

People won't care though they'll just latch onto the lie to justify their poo poo decision like the £350 million a week to the EU bus poo poo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexmilsom/status/1190665715038261249?s=19

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
A lighter would solve that problem and by that I mean set landlords on fire

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Could be possible to shim some dental floss under there and just turn it like a fanbelt

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

It's a nest thermostat, it's literally radio controlled, I'm sure they can work something out.

Alternatively, seems like a good excuse to learn hobbyist lockpicking. That lock is probably shite.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

The choice of coca approach is irrelevant - even in the maximally Plan Dignidad period, Bolivian coca agriculture was never a significant component of agriculture. We are not talking sixty percent, thirty percent. The correct order of magnitude to hold in one's mind is less than 1%.

It was an outsized factor in Bolivian society because, for obvious reasons, it is a stellar producer of hard currency when exported. Hence, the surplus product is fantastic and said product gets diverted to societal enrichment (and politics). It could sustain middle-class aspirations on labour/capital levels that would normally imply a subsistence quality of life. Even cash crops face fierce competition, tight margins, and the iron law of the Prebisch-Singer tendency of the relative price of primary products to fall, but coca is immune to being subject to heavy mechanization with high capital inputs at stake for self-evident reasons. But absolutely don't mistake it for environmental relevance. The orders of magnitude matter here.

Even further north, consider this diagram, based on the paper you linked:

Secondary deforestation is not a force because of coca agriculture itself, iasmuch as because timber logging is a suitable front for money laundering. When there are easier mechanisms for money laundering - here that noted country of many Papers - narcotics promptly ceases to be a driver
What's interesting with the Bolivian system is that coca is no longer very much a cash crop. The vast majority (de jure all of it, but in reality something like 95%) is now grown to be chewed, made into tea or flour, it's largely gone back to the way it has been grown for millennia. People willingly went back to that system because it's preferable to dealing with cartels.

That means there is no high value product coming out of it, and thus no need for money to be laundered. That sounds preferable to "stop deforestation by encouraging less environmentally destructive means of money laundering". It'd be interesting to see if that persists if Peru starts to pick it up. I highly doubt Colombia will ever do that, as their coca and culture around it is different.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/ThatTimWalker/status/1190569014088601600

Think this is the most FBPE tweet ever done. A bank, famous for money laundering for the Mexican Drug cartels and a bunch of other dodgy poo poo, makes a poo poo advert with a midrange comedian and it's all forgiven.

Worthless people, worthless movement.
I wonder if they'll start claiming that they're helping the environment by providing green money laundering services.

Angepain posted:

e: 31 is Turkish slang for male masturbation ("otuzbir")[citation needed]
Males masturbating, or masturbating of males? (This is important.)

OwlFancier posted:

fact shaped phrases
I like this.

Despite all my rage I am still just a stat in a cage.

Also :lol: that's one of those internet of things thermostats, couldn't the landlord have just moved it somewhere else? (Preferably up his rear end.)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Or just buy the spare keys off the website.

Willing to bet that if there's a cold snap in March and the pipes freeze because nobody can turn on the heating they'll try to say it's the tenant's fault.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Or just buy the spare keys off the website.

Willing to bet that if there's a cold snap in March and the pipes freeze because nobody can turn on the heating they'll try to say it's the tenant's fault.

No bookie would take a bet on such a sure thing

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

We didn't really get much of a chance, the few people I got to speak to were ardently convinced that voting made no difference or that there was no difference between any of the parties.

Just depressing, people start from an assumption and then backfill it with fact shaped phrases to support the assumption, and there's no good basis on which to change any part of that.

If you're getting discouraged try to think of it as a numbers game. The data says that we need to knock on 2 million doors during this campaign. Every door you knock on brings us closer to that number and even if it doesn't seem like it when you speak to people now by the time it gets to election day enough people will respond to it to get the win.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I used to be a hobbyist lockpicker. Someone locked me in a cage at a party in a private members club, not realising I had picks in my underwear. I broke free and then grabbed a wig and a dressing gown from a huge wardrobe they had. I walked straight past one of my captors and then went outside, where another was smoking. I asked her if I'd seen her before because getting caught is the fun part.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Buy a second hand radiator from a junk yard.

Buy a tap to hose adaptor.

Buy two short lengths of hose.

Run hose from hot tap to radiator.

Run 2nd hose from radiator outlet to sink.

Run hot tap.

Nice, lossy heating system. Presumably the guy isn't paying the bills.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

Did these two things get shared in here yet?

https://twitter.com/SirajAHashmi/status/1190827744155832320?s=20

(Not UKpol but hilarious).

https://twitter.com/TheSinanKose/status/1190988182176841735?s=20

(Very much UKpol and also hilarious)

Has anyone said "lieberal democraps" yet?

Not that I'm going to say it, just checking that it's on the table.

Also wanna go to Azza's parties.

Edit: Jo Swindler?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

If you're getting discouraged try to think of it as a numbers game. The data says that we need to knock on 2 million doors during this campaign. Every door you knock on brings us closer to that number and even if it doesn't seem like it when you speak to people now by the time it gets to election day enough people will respond to it to get the win.

Yeah I know, I asked our candidate about data entry help which she seemed enthusiastic about so hopefully I can do that at least, I have experience typing things into a box, after all.

I'm gonna try and keep at the doorknocking but our lot apparently do it solo most of the time. Just upsetting seeing people who are clearly being shat on by the government tell you that actually they don't want to consider doing anything about it. It's just whole sections of people cutting their nose off to spite their face.

I could probably change minds given time and a better setting but just a constant bombardment of strangers who are already a bit hostile because you're pestering them at home, but who you already empathise with because they're folk just like you... I dunno it's not good for my brain.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 3, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah I'm also looking into volunteering in my constituency, data entry sounds good because I'm not very good at speaking to people and I don't deal well with hostility so I don't know how well I'd do at doorknocking

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

WhatEvil posted:

Buy a second hand radiator from a junk yard....

A friend of mine told me that when they were in university bitcoin was relatively new. They didn't pay the bills and they told me they cooled their mining rig, a computer that was funded by the university for their computer touching degree, by running the cold tap through it into the drain. Apparently it was enough BTC to buy 2 dominos every week.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All the people suggesting lock picks or buying spare keys or dental floss shims or hacking the nest system are overthinking it.

The landlord has, in their almighty wisdom, placed the thermostat in a sealed unit shut off from the atmosphere of the dwelling. So if you want the heaters on put an ice pack on top of the plastic box and the thermostat will think that the air is colder than it is and turn the heating on.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I always spend a lot more time on people who say they're not voting because ultimately they're the people we really need to convince and get engaged if we want to change the country rather than just putting a win in the results. I almost always open up with "We're going round trying to find out what the problems are around here" (or some variation of that) and going from there. Anyone in that mindset is very likely to feel ignored and powerless, and framing it as a personal, not a political, thing gives you an in. Just letting people sound off while you nod and make sympathetic noises can make a huge difference, along with some well-placed open-ended questions, e.g. "I've heard a lot of people complaining about kids hanging around at night" (which works just about everywhere, and just about everywhere people think it's a uniquely bad problem there) gets you into Tory cuts to local authorities, or some relevant local issues (which your board runner or local minders really should have briefed you on).

Framing it as "what are the problems are around here" rather than "what are your problems" also stops them shutting down at what's quite a nosy question. Everyone loves a good whinge, you just have to get it out of them.

Obviously you adjust it to your own personal style - I can probably get away with a lot because I'm a grumpy-looking white middle-aged man with a Cockney accent and so I've already got a connection to a lot of the people I'm talking to (and I can do a nice "posh" - read "has slightly less glottal stops") accent for the little old ladies, which always goes down well) but ultimately if you come across as sincere and willing to listen you'll be surprised just how easy it is to get them to at least *thinking* about voting.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

It's a nest thermostat, it's literally radio controlled, I'm sure they can work something out.

Alternatively, seems like a good excuse to learn hobbyist lockpicking. That lock is probably shite.

Looks a lot like one of those circular locks you can defeat with a correctly-sized straw/pen ink reservoir.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

speaking of MI5 cunts, i see james bloodworth got owned again this weekend
I can't stand Bloodworth, what happened?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

A friend of mine told me that when they were in university bitcoin was relatively new. They didn't pay the bills and they told me they cooled their mining rig, a computer that was funded by the university for their computer touching degree, by running the cold tap through it into the drain. Apparently it was enough BTC to buy 2 dominos every week.

Doesn't that mean they could be millionaires if they had just saved the bitcoin rather than getting poo poo pizza?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah I'm also looking into volunteering in my constituency, data entry sounds good because I'm not very good at speaking to people and I don't deal well with hostility so I don't know how well I'd do at doorknocking

I'm goign over to my constituency office tomorrow, there are letters to pack apparently. I'd prefer to be doing something that can actually affect a marginal, but I'll sound out what the options are whilst I'm there.

But as with everything, it's a compromise, given that I detest the amount of wasted paper that goes into this whole process. I'd be staggered if the proportion of campaign literature that's read is above 5%.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Doesn't that mean they could be millionaires if they had just saved the bitcoin rather than getting poo poo pizza?

Well yeah but loads of people got into bitcoin early, made a few hundred or thousand quid and cashed out.

I know a couple, one goon online made like $20k from bitcoin early on, if she'd held onto them she'd have been worth like $100m or something ridiculous. But ask yourself the question, if you'd been given 100 bitcoins on day one, when would you have sold? I bet it would have been before they got to $20k each.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
also at the peak weren't there problems like it took hours to actually cash out a single bitcoin? so even if your hoard is worth £1 million on paper (well, as much as paperless currency can have a value on paper) actually exchanging them for that value of currency was basically impossible

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1191032805322625024

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Azza Bamboo posted:

Someone locked me in a cage at a party in a private members club

:frogon:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

also at the peak weren't there problems like it took hours to actually cash out a single bitcoin? so even if your hoard is worth £1 million on paper (well, as much as paperless currency can have a value on paper) actually exchanging them for that value of currency was basically impossible
Also there was no control of the exchanges or centralized wallet services.

Well I'm sure this one can't be a scam or run on a server that holds everything in RAM.

Ah, well, nonetheless...

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I miss buttcoin.org, it had stories on how people tried to use bitcoin and how cashing out was hard.
Like meeting guys in Denny parking lots, only to have them try to talk you around to 'invest' your buttcoins in their billion dollar ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

what happened to pissflaps anyway