Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Honestly if a lore appropriate version of the armor was in fallout 4 or base 76 i'd have liked it as a nod to people who really enjoyed new vegas but the fact it was specifically added as a subscription only thing was really lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

I know its probably played out to poo poo on fallout 76 at this point but i like how the modded fallout 4 version of the ranger outfit looks way better than the official 76 one that was added recently.

its like... too clean or something, i cant quite put my finger on why it feels off

edit: also the eyes shouldnt be red because that was a modification by the ncr who dont exist yet but its just a silly bonus armor so i cant complain too much about it not being canon

It looks off to me because the image of the armor model is imposed over a background, it clearly wasn't taken in game, so they have two completely different lighting environments

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also the arms look way too thin

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I still think the metacritic thing is dumb and petty even if is in my head.

toasterwarrior posted:

Also the arms look way too thin

That too, that is what was bothering me. Didn't the armor underneath it have upper arm protection?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Take and Equip or Use Adds an option to equip loose armor and weapons, eat/drink, use aid items or play holotapes immediately instead of having to go into your inventory to use them.

Oh sweet Jesus YES THANK YOU.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Thank you for posting Game Config Menu/Survival Options, my one gripe with the game so far has been how absurdly damage spongey the enemies are.

The OP is pretty outdated, is Leveled Spawns still recommended? I dumped it after it caused me to get into a 10-minute shootout with a massive horde of high level raiders. At level 15.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Bloody Pom posted:

Thank you for posting Game Config Menu/Survival Options, my one gripe with the game so far has been how absurdly damage spongey the enemies are.

The OP is pretty outdated, is Leveled Spawns still recommended? I dumped it after it caused me to get into a 10-minute shootout with a massive horde of high level raiders. At level 15.

It's like hitting a brick wall, and I've maxed out my damage perks so far

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I don't like Leveled Spawns, myself. I run that Create Your Own Difficulty mod to crank up enemy and my own damage a bit, and even with the extra damage I'm doing at all times the enemies it places are just bullet sponges and road blocks. They're always set to spawn at a much higher level than yourself so any novelty they would have is immediately turned into annoyance because they're always a slog to kill.

Plus there's the problem with its Ghoul spawns being marked as friendly for some reason. I know it's not terribly difficult to fix it yourself but I didn't feel it was worth the effort to just reintroduce ghouls with too much health and uninstalled the mod lol

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

holy poo poo this is gonna make me use the stranger way earlier

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
ughhhh I wish there were a perfect, universal item sorting mod

VIS doesn't play nice with a lot of things like Armorsmith extended or Weaponsmith extended

VIS-G plays great with those two but all the older weapon mods and UI mods aren't compatible because its newer.

I guess VIS is the best option. For some reason VIS-G doesn't do "Not Junk" so you have to be aware of the pre-war money getting put into the workshop if you transfer all junk at once.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I just think it is gross as a promo item because how they poo poo all over Obsidian about the metascore thing and they have the cheek to use the stuff they brought in to promote that tip of a game.

I wish there were a way for Obsidian to get the rights to Fallout.

Bethesda has really proven lately that they're pieces of poo poo that we have to put up with.

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 4, 2019

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really wish there was a build of VIS-G that didn't have all the really dumb technical names appended onto all the guns. This poo poo:

etc.

It's just gratuitous word vomit. I don't need models and brand names plastered all over the inventory screen for immersion.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
All those different font sizes. It looks incredibly inconsistent too; Napalmer - Rockwell M21A4, 10mm - 5.7x28mm. You'd have to edit the instance naming rules as well as all the individual weapon entries to change all that, those Mk. 1's (the receiver mod) and the ammo types will be governed by that.

I recently downloaded the great Garand rifle mod by asxas and decided to rename it to "Antique Rifle" to bring it in line with the rest of the game. The mod has its own complicated instance naming rules file to accurately name each variation of the rifle but fixing this simply meant changing which set of rules were referenced in the weapon entry to the default one rather than editing the naming rules themselves. Shame VIS and VIS-G edit the default naming rules rather than adding a new separate entry.

Edit: Learning how VIS worked meant I was no longer needed other people to release patches, but I'd be copy pasting [mod] about 30 times everytime I added a weapon to my game. Making patches is simple and tedious.

Erd fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 5, 2019

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Is there a recent consensus on which mods to generally use nowadays?

I loved NV with JSawyer very much, and variety is fantastic in loot tables. I'd love to get a similar feeling in FO4; Survival mode is a good start, but are there things which build on the experience?

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Fallout 4 Loot Overhaul https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1486

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Journey helps mitigate some unnecessary tedium, get anything to nerf molotov cocktails, something to buff weapons other than the combat rifle.

We are the minutemen and sim settlements are great if you want to delve more into settlement stuff.

For weapon variety idk if there is anything better/bigger by now but i always liked this goon made one from the op

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

7c Nickel posted:

They didn't poo poo all over Obsidian. They offered a bonus (as a bonus, it wasn't anything Obsidian negotiated for) that the game didn't end up qualifying for. Whatever venom you think exists between those two companies exists solely in your head.

It's especially dumb to blame Bethesda for the metascore stuff when Obsidian was offered 24 months, but told Bethesda they'd do it in 18 months and whoops they had to cut a lot of stuff. Maybe if they hadn't tried to show off and took the extra 6 months they would've been able to finish the game and get that metascore bonus.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Avellone said as much when he slagged off Obsidian's upper management, putting a lot of the blame for Vegas on poor planning and negotiation.

That being said, Bethesda isn't blameless either. They were responsible for Quality Assurance to get the game to working condition before it shipped. Bethesda offered to do that for Obsidian, which was nice of them, but they're also abysmal at quality assurance. I don't attribute the metacritic debacle to vindictiveness, it was just bad planning and incompetence.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Capital Wasteland Fawkes companion mod is out now....

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Arcsquad12 posted:

That being said, Bethesda isn't blameless either. They were responsible for Quality Assurance to get the game to working condition before it shipped. Bethesda offered to do that for Obsidian, which was nice of them, but they're also abysmal at quality assurance.

Reminder that the game shipped with a bug that deleted your saves, even from the cloud.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

dolphinbomb posted:

I really wish there was a build of VIS-G that didn't have all the really dumb technical names appended onto all the guns. This poo poo:

etc.

It's just gratuitous word vomit. I don't need models and brand names plastered all over the inventory screen for immersion.

Your custom weapons are working with VIS-G?

wtf am I doing wrong?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Erd posted:

All those different font sizes. It looks incredibly inconsistent too; Napalmer - Rockwell M21A4, 10mm - 5.7x28mm. You'd have to edit the instance naming rules as well as all the individual weapon entries to change all that, those Mk. 1's (the receiver mod) and the ammo types will be governed by that.

I recently downloaded the great Garand rifle mod by asxas and decided to rename it to "Antique Rifle" to bring it in line with the rest of the game. The mod has its own complicated instance naming rules file to accurately name each variation of the rifle but fixing this simply meant changing which set of rules were referenced in the weapon entry to the default one rather than editing the naming rules themselves. Shame VIS and VIS-G edit the default naming rules rather than adding a new separate entry.

Edit: Learning how VIS worked meant I was no longer needed other people to release patches, but I'd be copy pasting [mod] about 30 times everytime I added a weapon to my game. Making patches is simple and tedious.

is there a how-to?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Avellone said as much when he slagged off Obsidian's upper management, putting a lot of the blame for Vegas on poor planning and negotiation.

That being said, Bethesda isn't blameless either. They were responsible for Quality Assurance to get the game to working condition before it shipped. Bethesda offered to do that for Obsidian, which was nice of them, but they're also abysmal at quality assurance. I don't attribute the metacritic debacle to vindictiveness, it was just bad planning and incompetence.

We've learned rather recently, with abundant evidence, that Bethesda is a piece of poo poo company -- a motherfucking joke run by imbeciles. People working in customer service sending out pure grade salt? Guarantee you they're still in their job.

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 6, 2019

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Preston Waters posted:

Your custom weapons are working with VIS-G?

wtf am I doing wrong?

Those aren't my screenshots, just ones taken off the mod's page.

They also aren't custom weapons afaik, they're dumb names given to the in-game weapons probably because the default names aren't immersive enough or whatever :jerkbag:

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Preston Waters posted:

is there a how-to?

For VIS or VIS-G? I can write you a basic walkthrough for making a patch for a weapon is VIS.

dolphinbomb posted:

Those aren't my screenshots, just ones taken off the mod's page.

They also aren't custom weapons afaik, they're dumb names given to the in-game weapons probably because the default names aren't immersive enough or whatever :jerkbag:

The 'FN Five seveN' and the 'Desert Eagle' are mods, but since these screens are taken from the mod page the author must know their own mod well enough to make their own patches.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Preston Waters posted:

We've learned rather recently, with abundant evidence, that Bethesda is a piece of poo poo company -- a motherfucking joke run by imbeciles. People working in customer service sending out pure grade salt? Guarantee you they're still in their job.

Recently? In what, like, geological timescales?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
is there a good mod to rebalance submachine guns? they're really poo poo in vanilla

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Equilibrium

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27046

Does everything but it's the gold standard.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How has this not existed before?

Edit: NVM, I'm in the F4 modding thread and I'm dumb.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone know a way to get the DLC to work with Fallout 4 VR? I just noticed it doesn't have it and I'm feeling pretty salty about that. Probably going to return it unplayed if there isn't a good fix.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LLSix posted:

Anyone know a way to get the DLC to work with Fallout 4 VR? I just noticed it doesn't have it and I'm feeling pretty salty about that. Probably going to return it unplayed if there isn't a good fix.

You just take the .esm files and load them as if they were mods. Unfortunately this requires you to own the DLC in a regular version of Fallout 4.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Decided to reinstall, RE Sim Settlements is there a add on mod which sort of entirely automates and develops settlements into unique locations?

I only briefly dabbled last time. I need a Sim Settlement expert to tell me what does what.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah, the Sim Settlements: Conqueror expansion does that. You can pick what places use which blueprints, download more (there are a few official Contest packs that cover every location), or have it be random. There's some stuff with building up an army and setting up outposts to take over other settlements with hostile action (or "liberation" by freeing them from slavers) but you can ignore all that but just not interacting with the guy who starts that series of missions.

You may be able to turn it off entirely through the wizard the game walks you through in the intro but it's been a while and I can't remember if that's an option.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh man I got really pumped finding a replacement for the pipe weaponry for the game and it even used the nice browning but of course mod is broken now.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Browning? That's interesting. The M1 carbine would have been a really good replacement for the pipe pistol too. Mass produced, would have been sentimental to American citizens so they'd be everywhere before the bombs fell, and could easily be modified to fit any role that any pipe weapon fills.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Honestly I'd love if somebody would do a 9MM pistol and M1 carbine replacement mod for pipe weaponry in general.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I loving love pipe weapons and use them as long as I can

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Babe Magnet posted:

I loving love pipe weapons and use them as long as I can

Why? I love zip guns and garage-made weapons as much as the next crazy gun nut but the pipe weapons just don't make any sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPdTX8SjEk8

If you're even half-literate with firearms it should be absolutely goofy to you. It's like in bad movies when kids are playing consoles that aren't plugged into anything or the wrong controllers. Except you have to look at it all the time instead of just a couple of passing seconds.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got nothing against the pipe weapons conceptually, it's just that if they're really just poo poo bolted together to make a rudimentary gun, they ought to be truly random in appearance and not uniformly designed. It's a problem with open-world games in general (and being tackled by Bannerlord's truly modular item system), but it's annoyingly obvious in FO4 when every dipshit raider has the same pipe pistol with extremely minor and infrequent variations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

homie you got a 40k avatar and you're coming at me with "how can you enjoy guns that don't make sense"

I don't give a molerat's rear end that it's kind of weird how the magazine is positioned relative to the bolt or that a thin piece of metal might realistically look a bit worn after a few shots, I like the idea they were going for and I like having just a super customizable bullshit garbage pile in my hands

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 11, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Babe Magnet posted:

homie you got a 40k avatar and you're coming at me with "how can you enjoy guns that don't make sense"

I don't give a molerat's rear end that it's kind of weird how the magazine is positioned relative to the bolt or that a thin piece of metal might realistically look a bit worn after a few shots, I like the idea they were going for and I like having just a super customizable bullshit garbage pile in my hands

lol settle down knuckle-head it was just a question, imagine getting heated over fallout weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

im not mad your mad

to be fair you tried to get me to listen to that man's voice for over 6 minutes lol

the only thing I would change with vanilla pipe weapons (that mods thankfully do change) is the color of them and the fact that they're not even more customizable. Having maybe 3-4 times as many parts in each category, not even counting stuff like chamber swaps for different calibers, would do a lot to sell the idea they were trying to get across. I won't fault a development team for not making 60,000 gun parts for a weapon designed as an early-mid game stepping stone to stronger, actual guns tho

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 11, 2019