Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Applebees Appetizer posted:

When I went I was shocked at how filthy Rome is, trash everywhere. And the amount of graffiti was crazy.

Tagging all your buildings is a proud Roman tradition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

When I went I was shocked at how filthy Rome is, trash everywhere. And the amount of graffiti was crazy.

I mean the term graffiti comes from Italy so I wouldn't have it any other way

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Frond posted:

Which reminds me, has anyone here ever seen a US Renault 18 wagon in person?

Me. But I'm old.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Tagging all your buildings is a proud Roman tradition!

Apparently throwing trash everywhere besides a trashcan is too

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Re: panda backseat

Point 1: the panda is not a luxobarge, the back seat would rattle itself out of its supports if you drove it in that temporary setting(which wouldn't engage its mechanical locks/restraints). Panda was a utilitarian vehicle to empower lower classes to get a vehicle and a temp baby mode was a extra(which nobody used afaik).

Point 2: an accident with a mk1 panda is lethal for everybody in it. I think that vechicle would score more stars for pedestrians than occupants as pedestrians might just get crippled rather than flat out dead

Point 3: it's not like vehicles of that vintage had isofix, as i said before fiat vehicles tends to linger a lot on the drawing board and at the time the original panda was designed i think you would see baby straps or cradles to be fitted over the rear seat storage areas(which would be as lethal as the 45 degree angle seating) .

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Godzilla07 posted:

I finally saw a VW Arteon yesterday in a local parking lot. The Arteon is definitely a good-looking car, and I appreciate more sportbacks for sale in the US, but who's the target market here? The premium buyer who appreciates value enough to give up an Audi badge, but won't step into a Kia dealer for the Stinger? That's a pretty thin slice of the market to me.

That car was designed for China as far as I can tell

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Q_res posted:

This is a spectacularly dumb take, the American garbage is the only poo poo they've got that actually makes money. Jeep and Ram are the only things keeping their heads above water. Dodge is a money maker too, but that's largely because drat near everything they sell is at least a decade old and amortization is cool.

Selling ancient poo poo on subprime loans is not a long term winning strategy. The only thing worth a poo poo on this shambling corpse is Jeep.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Surveys regularly show that 80% of Italian men have never used a washing machine or done laundry in their lives. Once you think about that for a bit, Italy starts to make a lot more sense.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pryor on Fire posted:

Surveys regularly show that 80% of Italian men have never used a washing machine or done laundry in their lives. Once you think about that for a bit, Italy starts to make a lot more sense.

Can we drop this stupid derail? TIA.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I’m ancestrally from the Balkans and it resembles Italy culture wise in some respects. My dad, for example, didn’t leave the house until he got married at 27. And he sure as hell never did laundry.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I drove a Renault Duster when I was in Dubai and I honestly loved that thing, I wish I could have imported it back. I paid $10K USD new for it and sold it for $9500 2 years later when I left.

It’s not really fair though since that’s just a rebadged Daewoo but whatever

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Dacia not Daewoo

Dacia is from Romoania, Daewoo from South Korea. Daewoo are the ones responsible for many of GMs low point cars like the Aveo and Epica

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Actually GM's whole small car division was mostly Daewoo from Cruze onwards. Though this still falls under the umbrella of "low point". Actually, no, the Cruze is actually the best small car GM has made in decades

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Opel used to make pretty competitive small cars but as far as I know none of them made it outside except for the Astra.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
We got the Barina (Corsa), Astra and Vectra none of which were spectacular cars but they were all better than the Kalos/Cruze/Epica

In typical GM fashion the current small car line up in New Zealand is the Astra hatch and wagon alongside the Cruze sedan (also badged as an Astra)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

A french wagon, truly something that could sell maybe a dozen in the US.

Put a 2” lift on it though…

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I’ve got relatives in Italy and from their descriptions, yeah calling it a first world country is certainly a stretch. Never mind that the various regions all loving hate each other and don’t consider any of the others to even be “real” Italians. One example from my uncle, he’s spent 2 years trying to get a stable internet connection and none of the companies involved really care that much. Currently, he can’t even receive incoming international calls. Can call out just fine, the caller ID we get is the right number, it just doesn’t work when you call it back.

Apparently Romans take their graffiti very seriously as part of the political and social culture of the city. We see graffiti “ruining” grand old ruins, Romans feel that if their ancestors were able to do a quick throw up saying “Nero’s a motherfucker”, so can they.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I’ve got relatives in Italy and from their descriptions, yeah calling it a first world country is certainly a stretch. Never mind that the various regions all loving hate each other and don’t consider any of the others to even be “real” Italians. One example from my uncle, he’s spent 2 years trying to get a stable internet connection and none of the companies involved really care that much. Currently, he can’t even receive incoming international calls. Can call out just fine, the caller ID we get is the right number, it just doesn’t work when you call it back.

Apparently Romans take their graffiti very seriously as part of the political and social culture of the city. We see graffiti “ruining” grand old ruins, Romans feel that if their ancestors were able to do a quick throw up saying “Nero’s a motherfucker”, so can they.

Romanes Eunt Domus!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

This isn't too far off rural America, granted Italy is tiny in comparison so I don't know why they can't figure out internet.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
God help you if you ever get involved in the Italian legal system. Cases can take years if not decades

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ExplodingSims posted:

Romanes Eunt Domus!

One of the greatest scenes in cinematic history imho.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

dissss posted:

Dacia not Daewoo

Dacia is from Romoania, Daewoo from South Korea. Daewoo are the ones responsible for many of GMs low point cars like the Aveo and Epica

Whoops, you’re right!

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Paradoxish posted:

Driving a RWD car with good snow tires around in the winter is unironically some of the most fun you can have on public roads.

My BRZ on Michelin X-Ice's would like to offer you a subscription to its newsletter.

It's kinda almost like driving an older car on bias ply tires. Plus you get to embarrass bros in their diesel pickups.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seeing the PSA and FCA merger is a bit like deja vu, as PSA brought all of Chrysler's European assets back in the late 70s (Humber, Hillman, Talbot and Simca) and here we are again 40 years later.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

You Am I posted:

Seeing the PSA and FCA merger is a bit like deja vu, as PSA brought all of Chrysler's European assets back in the late 70s (Humber, Hillman, Talbot and Simca) and here we are again 40 years later.

Time for a revised platform.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Saw a few polestars irl, and i think we need to have a conversation about beltlines

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That person looks pretty short.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
The internet says Danny Bonaduce is only 5' 7" so it probably checks out.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
What car is that?

edit: i’m dumb. Missed the Polestar.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ihop posted:

The internet says Danny Bonaduce is only 5' 7" so it probably checks out.

lmao god i cant believe he still has a radio show in seattle

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

krysmopompas posted:

Saw a few polestars irl, and i think we need to have a conversation about beltlines

Do you live in Burlingame?

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
That misalignment on the door yikes.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

drgitlin posted:

Do you live in Burlingame?
Nah, I saw these passing by in the city, around broadway & battery, probably some press event.

My previous pic was off twitter, and i assumed it was exaggerated, but the reality did not disappoint.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Yeah, we stayed at the Battery.

Polestar 1 is a really intriguing car: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/11/the-polestar-1-is-a-turbocharged-supercharged-plug-in-hybrid-enigma/

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

How is that a $155,000 car? Why would you buy one when for that kind of money you could get a Taycan Turbo S? Why is the Polestar 2 so much uglier than the 1?

I'm so confused.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Polestar 1 is pretty rad.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

It features a supercharged, turbocharged four-cylinder gasoline engine for the front wheels and a pair of electric motors fed by a 34kWh battery at the rear.

lol. Someone at Volvo really loves complicated powertrains, all it's missing is a rotary engine.

Beautiful car though.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

sanchez posted:

lol. Someone at Volvo really loves complicated powertrains, all it's missing is a rotary engine.

Beautiful car though.

Needs a Wasp Major to really round out the package, methinks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Family Values posted:

How is that a $155,000 car? Why would you buy one when for that kind of money you could get a Taycan Turbo S? Why is the Polestar 2 so much uglier than the 1?

I'm so confused.

it's a limited edition hybrid made out of CF GT. think of it as a kind of budget hybrid Bentley Continental or Mercedes SL or something like that.

if you are asking about the purpose and price, it's not the car for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Family Values posted:

I'm so confused.

Why would someone buy a Subaru SVX at the time? Or a BMW Z1? Or a Bristol?

Not everyone wants the same thing.