Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

PT6A posted:

15G20 is below our PPL solo limits lol, who the gently caress is cancelling flights for that?

15G20 straight down the runway or crosswind component?

I don't think I actually have an overall wind restriction, just that the crosswind needs to be less than 9 knots.

A couple of weeks ago it was 15 knots steady headwind and it was the first time I was able to exit on the first taxiway :wooper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
drat my school had a flat 10kt limit for solos

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

15G20 straight down the runway or crosswind component?

I don't think I actually have an overall wind restriction, just that the crosswind needs to be less than 9 knots.

A couple of weeks ago it was 15 knots steady headwind and it was the first time I was able to exit on the first taxiway :wooper:

Our max crosswind component for students is 10, 15 for licensed pilots in the 172. Overall limit is 20 steady or 25 gusting for students, or 30 for everyone else (gusting or steady). We have two perpendicular runways so it’s rare that we get crosswind issues but it has happened.

It’s still instructor’s discretion as to whether to sign out any particular student solo. I’ve students that I’d sign out at limits, and others I decidedly would not.

Honestly if the limit were 10kts my students would basically never fly solo, I’ve sent students on their first solo in stronger than that. When I got my PPL the limit at that school was 10kts, and my crosswind technique was dogshit until I flew a bunch in stronger winds, because I don’t think you can actually learn good crosswind technique with less than 10kts crosswind component. You need to really feel the wind pushing against the plane and conquer it.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 31, 2019

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PT6A posted:

Why aren’t you flying in winter? It’s awesome! We fly down to -25C, there’s not really that many more weather days in winter compared to summer because at least there’s no thunderstorms to deal with.

Open-cockpit ultralight; you can fly it in cold weather, but you really need to bundle up. And we're doing most of our flying between grass runways in the countryside, not any of the bigger airports to the south with on-site snowploughs and stuff, so once the snow starts really coming in you need to fit the plane with skis. (Which does at least let you use all the frozen seaplane waterways and small lakes as well as the actual runways.)

It's doable, but I'm not sure I want to brave air that cold at those speeds, and my instructor definitely doesn't; he's planning to spend the winter flying around Mexico with some of his former students.

Winter flying does sound like fun, but maybe something for when I have heated gloves and can fly out of YKF or something.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ToxicFrog posted:

Open-cockpit ultralight; you can fly it in cold weather, but you really need to bundle up. And we're doing most of our flying between grass runways in the countryside, not any of the bigger airports to the south with on-site snowploughs and stuff, so once the snow starts really coming in you need to fit the plane with skis. (Which does at least let you use all the frozen seaplane waterways and small lakes as well as the actual runways.)

It's doable, but I'm not sure I want to brave air that cold at those speeds, and my instructor definitely doesn't; he's planning to spend the winter flying around Mexico with some of his former students.

Winter flying does sound like fun, but maybe something for when I have heated gloves and can fly out of YKF or something.

Oh, I missed that you were in an open-cockpit ultralight. I would agree with your choice not to fly in winter, then, that sounds very unpleasant!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Did some actual instrument stuff this week and it's been a while. The Harrier community doesn't do a lot of it, but we finally got RNP RNAV in the jet not too long ago and it was good/kinda fun to get to use it in real life.

What wasn't fun was being the wingman and having to fly a section approach through heavy clouds. And then doing a departure the next day and only barely getting lead locked up on the radar before he vanished into the 1100' overcast, wherein I got to hang on his wing for a solid hour and a half.

Aviation!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PT6A posted:

Got overtaken by an An-2 yesterday while jogging. What a cool rear end plane, although being overtaken by one is slightly embarrassing.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

overdesigned posted:

Did some actual instrument stuff this week and it's been a while. The Harrier community doesn't do a lot of it, but we finally got RNP RNAV in the jet not too long ago and it was good/kinda fun to get to use it in real life.

What wasn't fun was being the wingman and having to fly a section approach through heavy clouds. And then doing a departure the next day and only barely getting lead locked up on the radar before he vanished into the 1100' overcast, wherein I got to hang on his wing for a solid hour and a half.

Aviation!

Single piloted instruments in something fast terrifies me. I’m definitely a guy that needs to be surrounded by a crew. It’s good to see they’re still upgrading the Harrier. Gives me hope that some other military aircraft will be RNAV capable someday. Having fun?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Still you have to admit it's a pretty nifty plane. Stall speed is counter-revolutionary, comrade!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And wake turbulence is praxis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I was supposed to fly a cross-country last weekend but the plane I was booked in hit its hundred-hour inspection and was grounded. I rebooked in another plane for the next day but the winds picked up to what the NWS was calling a :airquote: "99th-percentile weather event" :airquote: :rolleyes: so I exercised some aeronautical decision-making and cancelled.

Today I was supposed to fly it again but the plane's mixture control was busted. Got in the plane and it was basically frozen in place and the mx guys who took a look said oh yeah the cable is hosed. Grounded. The other plane is also still grounded for the inspection and the third 152 is on engine break-in so no students are allowed to fly it yet.

hosed by the schedule again.

At least I'm getting a lot of practice doing the flight planning

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I was supposed to fly a cross-country last weekend but the plane I was booked in hit its hundred-hour inspection and was grounded. I rebooked in another plane for the next day but the winds picked up to what the NWS was calling a :airquote: "99th-percentile weather event" :airquote: :rolleyes: so I exercised some aeronautical decision-making and cancelled.

Today I was supposed to fly it again but the plane's mixture control was busted. Got in the plane and it was basically frozen in place and the mx guys who took a look said oh yeah the cable is hosed. Grounded. The other plane is also still grounded for the inspection and the third 152 is on engine break-in so no students are allowed to fly it yet.

hosed by the schedule again.

At least I'm getting a lot of practice doing the flight planning

Goondolences, my trusty Cherokee went in for it's 100hr.... 3 weeks ago :ohdear: Guess I'm learning to love Cessnas again? Weather has been mostly good at least, albeit cold.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Uhh so, what's the deal with buying a plane? I'm starting to get close enough to finishing my license to think about it, and it might be kind of sort of financially doable. Any suggested reading or learning outside general AOPA info?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh and lol while I was bumming around the flight school I overheard a conversation about a prospective student from somewhere else who had already failed his checkride and his current instructor didn't want to sign him off for another, so he was calling our school to see if anyone would pick up his training. The word "remedial" came up.

PT6A, did one of your students somehow make his way down to San Francisco??

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Uhh so, what's the deal with buying a plane? I'm starting to get close enough to finishing my license to think about it, and it might be kind of sort of financially doable. Any suggested reading or learning outside general AOPA info?

It is definitely do-able and worth it if you fly at least once a week. Ownership beats the hell out of having to fight with other people’s schedule to get in your plane.

Start asking around your local fields for who’s selling. Find a plane in your budget that has been flown a lot recently, more than 100 hours a year for the last few years is good. Start going through the logs (digital copies if you can) and look for anything out of the ordinary or recurring. Once you find something I recommend throwing some money at an A&P with a lot of knowledge in type for a pre-buy. They should be able to give you a list of things that should be fixed now, fixed later, and quirks. Use that to negotiate on price.

I think there’s a few owners on here so feel free to ask specifics.

Edit: Airplane Ownership by Ron Wanttaja is a great read. Looks like it's $11 for a used copy on Amazon

Double Edit: There's an FAA publication about aircraft ownership, I'm just flipping through it but there's some good info in it: https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/library/documents/2014/Dec/96288/faa-h-8083-19a.pdf

Rudest Buddhist fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 1, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

PT6A, did one of your students somehow make his way down to San Francisco??

No, I am displeased to report they are all still befouling my schedule.

They're getting better slowly, though, so there might be light at the end of the tunnel?

Re: airplane ownership, I don't advise buying a C172. There's so many training fleets based around them that want to snap them up for commonality that it's hard to find a good example for a good price. If you want to go Cessna, step up to the 182 or even a Cardinal if you can find one.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PT6A posted:

Re: airplane ownership, I don't advise buying a C172. There's so many training fleets based around them that want to snap them up for commonality that it's hard to find a good example for a good price. If you want to go Cessna, step up to the 182 or even a Cardinal if you can find one.

I need to sort out what I actually want to do pretty significantly but I'm really leaning towards a 185, or a King Katmai if I can find/afford. I live out in the mountains, so backcountry flying is very appealing, but I also want something that's got enough speed and range to actually travel with 2-4 adults. Which leads you to a 185 or a Katmai or maybe a Maule, pretty much.

Or a really pimped out Cherokee 235 on bush tires :riker:

PS If you've never heard of a King Katmai until now, you're welcome

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Rudest Buddhist posted:

It is definitely do-able and worth it if you fly at least once a week. Ownership beats the hell out of having to fight with other people’s schedule to get in your plane.

Start asking around your local fields for who’s selling. Find a plane in your budget that has been flown a lot recently, more than 100 hours a year for the last few years is good. Start going through the logs (digital copies if you can) and look for anything out of the ordinary or recurring. Once you find something I recommend throwing some money at an A&P with a lot of knowledge in type for a pre-buy. They should be able to give you a list of things that should be fixed now, fixed later, and quirks. Use that to negotiate on price.

I think there’s a few owners on here so feel free to ask specifics.

Edit: Airplane Ownership by Ron Wanttaja is a great read. Looks like it's $11 for a used copy on Amazon

Double Edit: There's an FAA publication about aircraft ownership, I'm just flipping through it but there's some good info in it: https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/library/documents/2014/Dec/96288/faa-h-8083-19a.pdf

Awesome, thanks for the recs.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

so backcountry flying is very appealing, but I also want something that's got enough speed and range to actually travel with 2-4 adults.
PS If you've never heard of a King Katmai until now, you're welcome

I currently own a PA-22-150 I picked up for 15K. Great backcountry airplane that carries a bit more than a 172 but not as much as a 182. Tri-cycle gear keeps my insurance down to $500 / yr. Parts are cheap (for aviation) and fabric is a hell of a lot easier to work with than sheet metal.

Seconding the Cessna stuff. In general Cessna part prices seem much higher to me than Piper. Univair part prices keep me happy. Check out the types they own and you might find something that trips your trigger.

Speed is great but it costs more to go fast. Now that I own something flat out without partners it was all about cost to operate for me.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think paying rampers less than minimum wage might be a bad idea...

First, someone unplugged the ground power cord instead of the external air hose (they look nothing alike, and are on opposite ends of the plane) which lead to the airplane getting really dark, and a lot of swearing on the flight deck.

That was followed up by someone then failing to secure the access door for the external air, so it spent an entire flight flapping around at 350kts, but was still attached to the plane and appeared undamaged when I found it on my postflight.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Goon news:
Been away from this thread for too long, but I got hired at Yoonited this week.
I still can’t believe it. Feels like winning the lotto.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Slaughter posted:

Goon news:

:eyepop: congrats :toot:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

The Slaughter posted:

Goon news:

gently caress yeah! :hfive:

Out of curiosity was there something specific that got you the job or did you just happen to win at job application roulette?

azflyboy posted:

First, someone unplugged the ground power cord instead of the external air hose (they look nothing alike, and are on opposite ends of the plane) which lead to the airplane getting really dark, and a lot of swearing on the flight deck.

This happened to us today when the idiot first officer tripped over the power cable while inspecting the nose gear. When he got back to the cockpit the captain was bitching about how unreliable the ground equipment is so he just played it off as a bad GPU.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I don’t think it was roulette, I’ve spent 5 years trying to make myself as marketable as possible at the expense of any life of free time. I also talked to them at every job fair I could, and I had 5 internal LORs from pilots and an FA. I still heard nothing until I got my check airman letter, then I got an invite for their September job fair and then from there, hogan selection and interview. And then I still had to get past both of those obstacles, so I feel really proud. Probably still some dumb luck involved though.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Bob A Feet posted:

Single piloted instruments in something fast terrifies me. I’m definitely a guy that needs to be surrounded by a crew. It’s good to see they’re still upgrading the Harrier. Gives me hope that some other military aircraft will be RNAV capable someday. Having fun?

I am having fun! Most of the way to being an officially qualified combat wingman, I don't feel like I'm an idiot in the jet, and I got 16 hours in the last 2 weeks so life is good.

There's more on the horizon for the ol' girl if we can get funding approved. AIM-9X and helmet mounted cueing are possible, and we have a big software upgrade/milestone coming in the next year or so which will give us some new features.

We needed that RNAV though, with TACAN becoming a thing of the past and us not having an ILS or VOR, it was getting hard to legally fly in bad weather.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

The Slaughter posted:

I don’t think it was roulette, I’ve spent 5 years trying to make myself as marketable as possible at the expense of any life of free time. I also talked to them at every job fair I could, and I had 5 internal LORs from pilots and an FA. I still heard nothing until I got my check airman letter, then I got an invite for their September job fair and then from there, hogan selection and interview. And then I still had to get past both of those obstacles, so I feel really proud. Probably still some dumb luck involved though.

I’d say you earned it friend. Do you mind posting what your career path has been so far?

overdesigned posted:

I am having fun! Most of the way to being an officially qualified combat wingman, I don't feel like I'm an idiot in the jet, and I got 16 hours in the last 2 weeks so life is good.

There's more on the horizon for the ol' girl if we can get funding approved. AIM-9X and helmet mounted cueing are possible, and we have a big software upgrade/milestone coming in the next year or so which will give us some new features.

We needed that RNAV though, with TACAN becoming a thing of the past and us not having an ILS or VOR, it was getting hard to legally fly in bad weather.

Does it integrate with your moving map? I’ve found that RNAV is way more useful that any other system.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Slaughter posted:

Goon news:

That’s so awesome. You earned it.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Bob A Feet posted:

Does it integrate with your moving map? I’ve found that RNAV is way more useful that any other system.

Yep, we get a green line to follow, and some CDI-type symbology in our HUD as well. NAVAIR really knocked it out of the park, especially considering the mission systems computer hardware they had to work with.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Slaughter posted:

Goon news:

That's awesome. Congratulations.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

The Slaughter posted:

That's fantastic man, congrats. I just finished upgrade and United is my end-goal. Hope to see you there!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

Goon news:

Congratulations! :toot:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slaughter posted:

Goon news:

:black101:

We shall infiltrate the majors.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slaughter posted:

Goon news:

Congrats!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slaughter posted:

Goon news:

Congrats!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

WHAT THE gently caress, PHONE

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

WHAT THE gently caress, PHONE

SA has been making GBS threads itself a bit today, including returning "post failed, try again" errors when the post was actually made successfully. :shrug:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Bob A Feet posted:

I’d say you earned it friend. Do you mind posting what your career path has been so far?

Thanks all! Career path was private pilot at a local FBO while getting my 2 yr degree from a local community college, ATP to finish everything after private, CFIing at Transpac for a year, 3 years of aerial survey in a 206 and I finished my 4 year with Riddle online while working fulltime there. When I had 1500 hrs I went to Compass, upgraded after about 2 years and 1300 hours in the right seat, became check airman after about 4 years at compass, became our CASC for ALPA, talked to UA whenever I could and eventually got my LORs in, went to the UA sep job fair, got Hogan a few weeks ago and the rest is history. Right about 1100TPIC/4000TT.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lomarf @ this weenie who filed a NOTAM to fly his drone in his back yard

i mean, good for him for following the regulations, i guess, but uhhhh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

lomarf @ this weenie who filed a NOTAM to fly his drone in his back yard

i mean, good for him for following the regulations, i guess, but uhhhh

Surely malicious compliance is the best thing to do if you think an FAA regulation is stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
:laffo: SFC to 20AGL