Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've used an app called LocalCast for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Memento posted:

I've used an app called LocalCast for that.

Yeah I found that, but it seems (and the name states) that the files have to be on the phone unless there's an option I cannot find?

I'd like to cast a YouTube video from the YT app, but have the sound via the phone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm trying to remember the name of a late-1980s made-for-TV science fiction. I'm about 66% sure it was a Sunday night Wonderful World of Disney production, but if so, my google-fu fails me. I remember only three things from it, any of which I freely admit MAY be from other shows, but which I believe are all from the same production:

• On the Doomed Earth where like the planetary atmosphere is failing or something, an old lady forgot her oxygen breathing equipment, and one of the main characters gave her his spare one
  • There's a ship that's on its way to Alpha Centauri or somewhere, and the ship's computer has a female voice and has a thing about how she can't actually "see" the data she's looking for but finds it anyway
  • For some reason the captain gets trapped in an airlock and shot out in to space and there's a creepy-rear end computer voice saying "EGRESS COMPLETE" when he's ejected, but not before he implores them in his final moments to continue the mission.

Does anyone else remember this?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I bought a nice suit for work, and it is my first time having a Nice Suit, so here's a stupid question about that: the labels say I need to dryclean both the jacket and the pants at the same time because that way the colour will fade consistently over time so both parts stay the same colour. That makes sense, but how much do I really have to stick to that? The pants are machine washable and obviously I want to wash them more often than the jacket - I only ever wear the jacket when I'm actually in a room with a client which is not a huge part of any given day compared to wearing the pants all day. Getting stuff drycleaned is also a huge pain compared to just putting some pants in the washing machine. Can I still wash them every now and then normally or is it going to become super obvious very quickly if I do that? Also if this differs by material (which I suspect it does) is there a general idea of what different materials do, given that I'm likely to buy other suits in future?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I've never bothered with any of that poo poo.

Unless you're a klutz who spills coffee on your crotch every day, chances are you'll get too fat for the suit before it fades and/or it will fall out of fashion anyway.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What's the purpose of the cylindrical design structure housing the ladder? I've always assumed it was to break your fall but I don't know for sure

https://i.imgur.com/XO2DTn8.gifv

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a late-1980s made-for-TV science fiction. I'm about 66% sure it was a Sunday night Wonderful World of Disney production, but if so, my google-fu fails me. I remember only three things from it, any of which I freely admit MAY be from other shows, but which I believe are all from the same production:

• On the Doomed Earth where like the planetary atmosphere is failing or something, an old lady forgot her oxygen breathing equipment, and one of the main characters gave her his spare one
  • There's a ship that's on its way to Alpha Centauri or somewhere, and the ship's computer has a female voice and has a thing about how she can't actually "see" the data she's looking for but finds it anyway
  • For some reason the captain gets trapped in an airlock and shot out in to space and there's a creepy-rear end computer voice saying "EGRESS COMPLETE" when he's ejected, but not before he implores them in his final moments to continue the mission.

Does anyone else remember this?

Earth Star Voyager

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Alan Smithee posted:

What's the purpose of the cylindrical design structure housing the ladder? I've always assumed it was to break your fall but I don't know for sure

https://i.imgur.com/XO2DTn8.gifv

They are for safety, to prevent falling backwards. Their effectiveness has been brought into question. OHSA required them on many ladders until recently.

n/e they're called ladder cages

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Earth Star Voyager

That's definitely it, thanks! :tipshat:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What do you guys recommend to clean the inside of a windshield? I've seen people tout invisible glass as good, but also see people just using Windex

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 3, 2019

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What do you guys recommend to clean the inside of a windshield? I've seen people your invisible glass as good, but also see people just using Windex

Windex has always worked fine for me.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
If you're vaping in your car I recommend the RainX for interior windows stuff. Vaping adds a certain something to the glass that's hard to see through in the winter.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I saw *two* people clean the inside of their windshields while stopped at stoplights next to me within the same day last week. Never seen that before in my life, then twice in the same day.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
If a yeast infection is caused by antibiotics, can you treat it while you're still taking the antibiotics?

...asking for a friend.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You shouldn't halt your course of antibiotics unless your doctor tells you to.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Estate Agents were telling me I need to mow the lawn. I'd been holding off as I'm currently unemployed and living on savings, and most gardeners charge quite a hefty sum. Figured it was more financially frugal to purchase a cheap Flymo for £60, and use it throughout the year. Only problem is, it does a terrible job of getting the edges of the lawn. What tool do I use to cut the edges? Preferably the cheapest way. Just go and buy some shears?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

Estate Agents were telling me I need to mow the lawn. I'd been holding off as I'm currently unemployed and living on savings, and most gardeners charge quite a hefty sum. Figured it was more financially frugal to purchase a cheap Flymo for £60, and use it throughout the year. Only problem is, it does a terrible job of getting the edges of the lawn. What tool do I use to cut the edges? Preferably the cheapest way. Just go and buy some shears?

You should ask one of your neighbours if you can borrow their edger/whipper snipper/weed whacker or whatever you call it in your area. You should do the same with a mower and return that thing you bought as well. Repay your neighbours with baked goods or some other equivalent gift. Community is the most frugal option.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

tuyop posted:

You should ask one of your neighbours if you can borrow their edger/whipper snipper/weed whacker or whatever you call it in your area. You should do the same with a mower and return that thing you bought as well. Repay your neighbours with baked goods or some other equivalent gift. Community is the most frugal option.

I have a stellar community, and would get inundated with offers of help. I just didn't want to put people out of their way or - worse yet - borrow a lawn mower and potentially break it. I'm 27 and have never mown a lawn in my life, and a contractor who did work on this place before we moved in left bits of rubble all over the place. Was scared to borrow one and have it hit a stone. I'll definitely ask about shears.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean if you're really stuck for money you can spend an extremely horrible day snipping it with normal scissors or pulling it up by hand. But yes the borrowing from neighbours.

Qubee posted:

I'm 27 and have never mown a lawn in my life

Did you never have a garden or just someone else always did it? Not judging just curious.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

I mean if you're really stuck for money you can spend an extremely horrible day snipping it with normal scissors or pulling it up by hand. But yes the borrowing from neighbours.

Did you never have a garden or just someone else always did it? Not judging just curious.

Eh, lots of people grew up in apartments. Not too bizarre, really.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

As a teen, we had a gardener. I moved out at 17 and have been living in apartments my entire life. Either the backyard was entirely paved, or there wasn't one at all. Moved into a new place with the girlfriend and I'm sorta playing the stay-at-home-dad role until I find a job, as she's working. It has a proper garden front and back and I completely underestimated just how fast grass grows in the summer, and how expensive gardeners are. Which led me to leaving it too long and now it's like a little jungle and doesn't look very nice for everyone walking by it.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

fishmech posted:

You shouldn't halt your course of antibiotics unless your doctor tells you to.

Of course not. Hence the question--is treating the yeast infection pointless while I'm still taking the antibiotics?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Qubee posted:

I have a stellar community, and would get inundated with offers of help. I just didn't want to put people out of their way or - worse yet - borrow a lawn mower and potentially break it. I'm 27 and have never mown a lawn in my life, and a contractor who did work on this place before we moved in left bits of rubble all over the place. Was scared to borrow one and have it hit a stone. I'll definitely ask about shears.

Eh, if I were in your situation I'd buy a 6 pack or two and ask a neighbour for help. Explain you've never mown a lawn before and you don't want to break their equipment but also need to get it done. You can shoot the poo poo, get to know eachother and have some beers while they show you how to work the equipment and what to look out for, if anything. Seriously, I can see how it can kind of be a 'project' if you've never done it before but mowing a lawn is piss easy, and I'm sure that if you offer some beers or whatever in exchange for some help they'll be happy to.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
He already mowed the lawn. Maybe you need to buy a slab for your neighbour so they might read forum posts for you

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Viola the Mad posted:

Of course not. Hence the question--is treating the yeast infection pointless while I'm still taking the antibiotics?

No, the most common treatments for the condition don't have dangerous interactions with common antibiotics. If you're worried that a specific treatment will though, you can check for drug interactions with WebMD's tool, it's reliable for this: https://www.webmd.com/interaction-checker/default.htm

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

Eh, lots of people grew up in apartments. Not too bizarre, really.

Yeah was just curious which way around it was. This is the small questions thread after all!

Qubee posted:

As a teen, we had a gardener. I moved out at 17 and have been living in apartments my entire life. Either the backyard was entirely paved, or there wasn't one at all. Moved into a new place with the girlfriend and I'm sorta playing the stay-at-home-dad role until I find a job, as she's working. It has a proper garden front and back and I completely underestimated just how fast grass grows in the summer, and how expensive gardeners are. Which led me to leaving it too long and now it's like a little jungle and doesn't look very nice for everyone walking by it.

Ah yeah grass is a real bastard about that. It only grows slowly when you don't want it to.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I'd never heard of a Flymo; according to Wiki it's a lawn mower that hovers! According to the same wiki, "JEsus used the mower to mow all of israel." There's also some stuff about Hilary and Trump.

Anyway, how much needs to be edged? You can hang a regular push mower over the edge of a curb and get the grass that way. Takes forever because you're hitting such a small area each time. Can a Flymo do that?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Viola the Mad posted:

No. But you might need to re-treat it.

See, the antibiotics kill the beneficial bacteria that normally keep the Candida under control. The anti-fungal will still kill the Candida even without the help of the beneficial bacteria, but it’s possible that the Candida might come back before the beneficial bacteria do. It’s always worth taking the chance, in my opinion, because you might only have to do it once and you’ll get at least some relief in the meantime.

The good news is that the antifungals, even an oral antifungal, don’t affect the efficacy of the antibiotics themselves.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
You know how it is, where there is a big school shooting, a dozen kids dead, and the United States goes all crazy about wanting to control guns and make some kind of change, and for a good week we're all like, this time it's different, it's gone too far, we're going to definitely do something about it, and then nothing happens? Or like when a white cop shoots a black guy and the nation is all like, this is unacceptable we must do something it's time to change. Or whenever Trump does something and we're like, this time he's gone too far, we won't let him get away with it this time, this time we're going to actually do something? All this poo poo lasts about a week, two weeks, and then is severed with like a social guillotine. It just goes away, and collectively it's like we forget we were passionate about something until the next time it happens.

Anyway, I say all this because I'm wondering if there is a word for this? The phenomenon where a group of people or a community or just like a mob becomes broadly unified behind a cause but vanished because our collective attention span only lasts a fortnight?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

credburn posted:

Anyway, I say all this because I'm wondering if there is a word for this? The phenomenon where a group of people or a community or just like a mob becomes broadly unified behind a cause but vanished because our collective attention span only lasts a fortnight?
Uncharitably, a mean person might call this virtue signaling, signaling support for a thing to their peers without an actual commitment. More charitably you might call this compassion fatigue (or other sorts of fatigue) where people have only so much energy to give to any specific cause, and repeated events drain the energy available (a related concept is spoons). Humans are weird and have a lot of behaviors and biases. (Also all the obvious group think traps where people follow groups for no reason, even when they know the group to be wrong)

twodot fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 4, 2019

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Can anyone recommend a simple free video editor for android. I don't really need more than to cut/split videos up, while the built in Nokia one is ok, it is anoying that when I split videos I need to do the process 2 times and save seperately.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does anyone know what the song used at the beginning of this video is? I really like it :shobon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAMhhKmWoZI

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

credburn posted:

You know how it is, where there is a big school shooting, a dozen kids dead, and the United States goes all crazy about wanting to control guns and make some kind of change, and for a good week we're all like, this time it's different, it's gone too far, we're going to definitely do something about it, and then nothing happens? Or like when a white cop shoots a black guy and the nation is all like, this is unacceptable we must do something it's time to change. Or whenever Trump does something and we're like, this time he's gone too far, we won't let him get away with it this time, this time we're going to actually do something? All this poo poo lasts about a week, two weeks, and then is severed with like a social guillotine. It just goes away, and collectively it's like we forget we were passionate about something until the next time it happens.

It’s possibly only partially related but this feels intuitively to me like it’s the same kind of social process that is explored in Hypernormalisation. Adam Curtis is rightly mocked by some for his style and his approach to constructing an argument but I think the central points he makes are always pretty spot on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

credburn posted:

This is the catchy name for it:

ineptmule posted:

It’s possibly only partially related but this feels intuitively to me like it’s the same kind of social process that is explored in Hypernormalisation. Adam Curtis is rightly mocked by some for his style and his approach to constructing an argument but I think the central points he makes are always pretty spot on.

And it's a late-capitalism theory's adaptation of the psychological issue known as learned helplessness, where due to a barrage of negative/traumatic events, a person becomes so used to bad things happening that when faced with such things in future that are patently and obviously avoidable, they've been effectively traumatised into believing the method of avoiding that trauma isn't actually possible.

Hypernormalisation (and his previous term '"oh dear"ism') captures the idea of this on a collective consciousness of a nation. That America's collective societal consciousness has been traumatised by no-one doing anything about it before such that they accept that it's just always going to happen. Even those who break out of that cycle try and say that things are possible, the national consciousness looks at, say, the multiple bills the House Democrats have sent to the Senate, see that Mitch McConnell just threw them away, and instead of being outraged and doing something about it, just sigh and accept it.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

My car key broke recently. Putting the key back in the rest of the chassis doesn't work--it just falls out again. Is it fine if I just superglue the key back in or is there something that I am not considering?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

The Sean posted:

My car key broke recently. Putting the key back in the rest of the chassis doesn't work--it just falls out again. Is it fine if I just superglue the key back in or is there something that I am not considering?

I'd buy a new shell off ebay for a few quid

while epoxy will probably work, it will probably fail after a while.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why does daylight saving change on a Sunday rather than Saturday? It'd be nicer to have the whole weekend to adjust (if we must change tone in the first place).

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Did we ever get those girls back from Kony?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hooah posted:

Why does daylight saving change on a Sunday rather than Saturday? It'd be nicer to have the whole weekend to adjust (if we must change tone in the first place).

It's officially the start of the week in the Christian calendar. While we consider Monday the "start" of the week it's merely the first day of the "working week" - the week is Sunday to Saturday, they are called the weekend because they are the start and finish.

That and it gives people a day off work to rest ready for the shift in time.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Did we ever get those girls back from Kony?

Those girls are mostly dead or resigned to their fate. The LRA is a shell of its former self and struggling to carry on outside of small pockets. The government stopped considering Kony a threat a while back.

The Kony 2012 video guy having a nude meltdown is still hilarious though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tesseraction posted:

we consider Monday the "start" of the week

Who does? :confused: