Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Riatsala posted:

I'm looking for a good mystery puzzle type game, like either solving a string of crimes like an investigator or a mystery puzzle game with intrigue and plot twists at its core.

Have played the Zero Escape and Danganronpa games, which scratch this itch superbly. Thought Phoenix Wright was charming but a little silly and slow paced. Also liked L.A. Noire for the investigation parts, the padded gameplay not so much.

Observer! It's for me the best adventure this year. Really psychedelic and the artistic style (both audio and visual) is top notch. Great story, too. A cyberpunk game from Poland. You play as an investigator who is able to plug into people's heads to see what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Unreal_One posted:

Oxygen Not Included or Sim Tower, maybe?
I'm kind of looking for the whole survival bunker apocalypse feel and having main base while sending people out on quests mechanic they both have, but good. And yes I've played the hell out of This War of Mine. Basically I want This War of Mine's resource system but in a different setting.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 2, 2019

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Splicer posted:

I'm kind of looking for the whole survival bunker apocalypse feel and having main base while sending people out on quests mechanic they both have, but good. And yes I've played the hell out of This War of Mine. Basically I want This War of Mine's resource system but in a different setting.

Shelter

State of Decay?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Riatsala posted:

I'm looking for a good mystery puzzle type game, like either solving a string of crimes like an investigator or a mystery puzzle game with intrigue and plot twists at its core.

Have played the Zero Escape and Danganronpa games, which scratch this itch superbly. Thought Phoenix Wright was charming but a little silly and slow paced. Also liked L.A. Noire for the investigation parts, the padded gameplay not so much.
you might be more up for a VN than a game (umineko specifically, though it is absolutely glacially paced) if plot twists are what you're after.

Mangas do it well too if you really want the twists (death note, kaiji, and liar game being good examples). I had trouble finding games that had the same impact outside of DR.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
A rather different playstyle, but for the whole survival bunker concept, what about 60 Seconds!?

After the initial sixty second scramble, it switches to a turn-based system where you send your survivors out to complete (or fail) missions while you decide who deserves food.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

No Wave posted:

you might be more up for a VN than a game (umineko specifically, though it is absolutely glacially paced) if plot twists are what you're after.

While the pacing is very slow, Umineko is also completely amazing and should definitely be played/read/whatever if you have any interest in whodunits.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Can someone recommend good RPGs to play with an android PSX / PSP emulator? Not necessarily the most popular ones but perhaps something less known

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

Zafehouse Diaries or Zafehouse Diaries 2

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WaltherFeng posted:

Can someone recommend good RPGs to play with an android PSX / PSP emulator? Not necessarily the most popular ones but perhaps something less known

JRPGs? And does PSX mean original playstation, I always get that confused.

If so, I suggest giving Thousand Arms a try, as well as Legend of Legaia. Thousand Arms combines a dating sim with a JRPG and it's pretty creative and genuinely pretty funny, plus the RPG part is decent too and the sprite graphics are good.

Legend of Legaia is rad as hell and the combat system is nuts, you input fighting game inputs to do special moves and if you input the correct ones the characters do specials. As you progress the bar to enter movement inputs into gets bigger so you can cram more inputs in to get more complex combos. Game can get insanely hard though, I think it's also kinda grindy, but I remember enjoying the hell out of it when I was a kid. Also had one of my favorite moments ever, where at the final boss I had used up all my mana and run out of healing items and all my characters were dead except one, she would die on the next hit, and she just runs up and punches the absurd superboss once and that was the killing blow. perfect.

edit: some gifs

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 6, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Thousand Arms combines a dating sim with a JRPG

Are there any games (not psx limited) that do this, but voice acted and mostly featuring actual character models talking to each other instead of talking heads/portraits?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

For PSP, if you like first person, Wizardry style dungeon crawlers, Class of Heroes is pretty good.

There's also, including some action RPGs and SRPGs:

- Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
- Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman
- Several Ys games
- Persona, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 3 Portable
- Riviera: The Promised Land
- Hexyz Force
- Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
- Jeanne d'Arc
- Final Fantasy I, II, IV, and Tactics
- Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
- Tales of Eternia

I'm probably forgetting some, but those are all pretty good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's not exactly obscure, but if you haven't played Valkyrie Profile, you should.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time is a great jrpg

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Thanks for recommendations. I'll look into Legend of Legaia and Growlanser first because I haven't heard of those like ever.

I also downloaded Suikoden 2 because apparently it's amazing? Played a bit of the intro but not very far yet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
keep in mind I played legend of legaia when I was like 15 and had way too much time on my hands, so it might not be good for a tight schedule. you may want to get a guide for it before playing, I recall the Seru stuff(basically summons, magic, pokemon-type stuff) can be pretty confusing at times.

Also, not sure how playstation emulators work, but if you can save state, absolutely keep some recent ones spaced out(like, one at the beginning of a dungeon, one right before the boss, etc) because the bosses can really just kick the poo poo out of you. There's this one piranha plant looking motherfucker that wrecked my poo poo until I spent a couple days grinding to overlevel so I could beat it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just remember Legend of Legaia being long as gently caress. If I remember correctly, my main issue with it was that every battle took forever so being able to speed it up would probably help that a lot.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whatre some good turn based roguelikes on mobile?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Cardinal Quest 2 (very optional microtransactions) and Hoplite (totally free)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Also, see Sproggiwood (goon game from Qud devs) and Pixel Dungeon (free)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've been playing Motorsport Manager and liking it quite a bit, but I find the races too long, specially at the start of career mode where you have little chance to do anything worthwhile.

Any similar games that abstract races a bit more? I like to decide number of stops, tire strategy... but watching little cars go around and clip through each other isn't interesting.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are there any good games like Academagia?

Games I might recommend to someone asking the same question
Long Live the Queen
Magical Diary - short but fun

Games I would not Recommend
Roommates - also a school setting where you raise player stats, but most choices are of the do something interesting y/n sort which is pretty boring

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Princess Maker series, maybe? I haven't played Academagia, but I might recommend it to someone looking for something similarish to Long Live the Queen. PM2, at least, can get a little...weirdly sexual at times, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LLSix posted:

Are there any good games like Academagia?

Games I might recommend to someone asking the same question
Long Live the Queen
Magical Diary - short but fun

Games I would not Recommend
Roommates - also a school setting where you raise player stats, but most choices are of the do something interesting y/n sort which is pretty boring

Sorcery! possibly

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I don't know any of the games you mentioned as reference points but I can definitely confirm that the Sorcery! series owns. There's just enough mechanics to it to make it feel justified as a video game and not just a port of a CYOA book series (which it of course is). The world is pretty standard swords and sorcery but with enough tweaks to make it feel interesting and unique. I can't say enough good things about it.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!
I'm looking for a good Switch game to dump a bunch of hours in. I've basically played Droid and 3ds games for years cause of kids and restricted game time. I love Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey, and pretty much anything with replayability and depth.

This is going to be the first console game I've dedicated to in a long time and I am a completionist. So basically, what would scratch my OCD gamer itch best on the Switch?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Hyrule warriors has an unbelievable amount of content

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Octopath Traveler will keep you busy for 80 hours or so.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
breath of the wild or skyrim

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!
Cool, I dumped 150+ hours on FE Warriors. Probably go with Skyrim since I haven't played any Elder Scrolls after Morrowind.

I was getting thrown off with Dark Souls, The Witcher 3, and Diablo 3. I'll end end with BotW anyway and justify it with the kids.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Anything out there along the lines of The Settlers? I thought Frostpunk was pretty great.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

DreadCthulhu posted:

Anything out there along the lines of The Settlers? I thought Frostpunk was pretty great.

I think Northgard works similarly? Haven't played it enough to be able to tell you if it's good sadly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

DreadCthulhu posted:

Anno is The Settlers successor. Current version is 1800 but the earlier ones (2205, 2070, and 1404) are easily available as well.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tropico draws from the same well as Frostpunk, but without the whole survival element. Only other citybuilding game I know of with a survival element is Banished, although you could consider Kingdom: New Lands a super stripped-down version of the concept.

I've never played a Settlers game, but apparently a new one is coming out next year.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Dawn of Man does citybuilding and survival. Though the city building is limited by the timeframe of the game starting at cavemen and going up to like, early iron age.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What's a good low involvement "play while you work/after the kid goes bed" game. I've been playing ck2, moo2, ftl, tropico (mostly 4, some 5, some 2 some 1), fallout/2/1.5mod, DCSS, castles 2 -- that sort of thing. I just finished xcom2, that was awesome but I have no desire to play it again. Was playing deus ex again but the revision mod makes maps take forever. That was more involved than I'd like but it's just spectacularly good and I was excited to see a new spin. Was thinking of firing up morrowind but I'm looking for more immediate gratification vs wandering in calderas again plus making mods work takes more effort/time than I want to invest.

So what's a good cool game along those lines?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

What's a good low involvement "play while you work/after the kid goes bed" game. I've been playing ck2, moo2, ftl, tropico (mostly 4, some 5, some 2 some 1), fallout/2/1.5mod, DCSS, castles 2 -- that sort of thing. I just finished xcom2, that was awesome but I have no desire to play it again. Was playing deus ex again but the revision mod makes maps take forever. That was more involved than I'd like but it's just spectacularly good and I was excited to see a new spin. Was thinking of firing up morrowind but I'm looking for more immediate gratification vs wandering in calderas again plus making mods work takes more effort/time than I want to invest.

I’m having trouble thinking of what to suggest, but one thing sort of comes to mind: Two Point Hospital. DCSS: I love roguelikes, but they’re the last thing I think of while relaxing. Maybe try DoomRL, it’s free, and has various difficulties and challenges to keep you occupied. But only if you can use headphones. Sound matters and the music will get your blood pumping. It is entirely turn-based, so you can put it down as needed.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Thanks! I'll look into that. If it helps I'm not good at dcss, I've only gotten two runes with a minotaur berserker. It's still fun though the new trunk has me back to sub one rune.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Thanks for the advice! I wish these city building games had more decent ratings, so many of them land in the 70s :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Anno is The Settlers successor. Current version is 1800 but the earlier ones (2205, 2070, and 1404) are easily available as well.

You know, I always assumed that the Anno games were just some kind of dull trading game from how they always had like a boat or a cruise ship, and I just remembered how I found Port Royale boring and impenetrable. But I finally looked up a video, and this looks like it's a pretty decent city game, although I'd rather something other than neoclassical music.

Is there a "best" Anno for coming into the series fresh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shbobdb posted:

How do you feel about deckbuilders? Slay the Spire and Nowhere Prophet are two different takes on the genre and both very very good.

If you're very very burnt out, Jewel Match Twilight Solitaire is excellent ultra-casual up/down solitaire. You buy upgrades, unlock nice hi-def castle painting wallpapers, and it has solitaire mahjong tossed in too.