Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Completed this game earlier and loved it so much that I decided to do all the fun and possible-sounding achievements and I did those and then ended up doing most of the rest as well because I love it so much.

Now the only one I have left is Hotshot which is a horrible hell spawn that I despise. Have any goons completed it and could give any info? I just end up slingshotting past it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Completed this game earlier and loved it so much that I decided to do all the fun and possible-sounding achievements and I did those and then ended up doing most of the rest as well because I love it so much.

Now the only one I have left is Hotshot which is a horrible hell spawn that I despise. Have any goons completed it and could give any info? I just end up slingshotting past it.

I found it useful to not try to aim AT the station, because it's a very fast-moving target that's changing direction constantly. Instead, get yourself in an orbit around the sun, moving in the same direction as the station (it's okay if you're nowhere near it at first). Gradually tune your orbit to match the station's and before you know it it'll look like the station is practically stationary relative to you. Also note that you won't be landing your ship on the station - instead you just get close and then pop out of the hatch and fly into it with your jetpack.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just finished this, what a gem. I never figured out how to get to the sixth location or the easy way to get to the sun station but everything else was great to pick at and explore. Majora's Mask is one of my favorite games and it's so rare that someone uses that model at all, let alone this effectively.

Triarii posted:

I found it useful to not try to aim AT the station, because it's a very fast-moving target that's changing direction constantly. Instead, get yourself in an orbit around the sun, moving in the same direction as the station (it's okay if you're nowhere near it at first). Gradually tune your orbit to match the station's and before you know it it'll look like the station is practically stationary relative to you. Also note that you won't be landing your ship on the station - instead you just get close and then pop out of the hatch and fly into it with your jetpack.

Yeah, you have to play this bit like it's :jeb:- get into an orbit first, rendezvous later. Aim to fly just past the edge at a decent clip and slow down at the point of closest approach; if you do this right you fall into a circular path around it. Look at the sun and lock on so you can track your approaching/receding velocity and correct it with thrusters. If you stabilize into a roughly circular orbit at 2500-3000 meters out the station will gradually catch up and pass below you, you should then be able to push yourself towards it. You can even set up a real rendezvous by thrusting retrograde for a moment when the station is approaching so you start falling towards it. Make sure you do this all in the plane of the station's orbit so the corrections are easier to make.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

haveblue posted:

I never figured out how to get to the sixth location

Just so you know, doing this unlocks an extra bit of ending. I'd seriously recommend you try it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah if you don't make it to the sixth location you haven't truly finished the game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah it’s a great part of the game, actually a bit surprising how optional it is but you definitely want to see it for yourself. Ask for a hint if you’re stuck, you don’t want to miss it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've googled it by now, and yeah, it looks like something worth doing.

A lot of the trophies, though, look very much not.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

God this game is so cool. any small frustration I felt at any individual time like getting physicsed somewhere I didn’t want to go, forgetting to put on my space suit, or that obtuse thing I couldn’t figure out just can’t blot out the shine of what a wonderful journey it was, and I wish I could forget it all and do it again

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
I've been playing this game and I am really enjoying it, but I find myself really running out of steam towards the end (I think I'm towards the end). I'm not sure if I have it in me to finish it, although I want to.

Spoilers to follow:

I've explored all of the home planet (I think), got almost everything in Brittle Hollow except for some missing bits in the hanging city including the black hole forge (tbh exploring the city drives me nuts because it is really hard for me to tell what I have already explored vs. what I haven't), explored all of the water planet, and right now I'm spending time on Ember/Ash Twin but man, the time limit thing is really grinding my gears. It is a really cool plot device and I love how it frames both the story and the gameplay, but exploring Ember Twin and dealing with the time limit is really tedious. I made my way towards a large underground cave city within Ember Twin, but after two loops exploring it, I feel myself running out of steam to deal with the time limit.

I haven't explored Dark Bramble at all yet. I've explored The Interloper a little bit. I haven't made my way to the quantum moon yet. I've actually only explored one of the quantum towers (there are three, right?). I am beginning to put together the pieces of the story / what happened, but I'm not fully there yet. I think I have met all the other explorers besides Feldspar.

I guess I'm hoping for someone to convince me to finish the game. I do think the game is great, I absolutely love the atmosphere and mood and graphics and story, but I am finding it hard to keep up momentum. How much left do I have to do? What should I focus on?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ember Twin is probably the toughest planet to fully explore because its deepest layers fill up so fast. What you really need is to find the shortcut that leads to the fastest route into the city.

It's a small hole near the Gravity Cannon. It's really hard to spot from the outside if you don't know it's there. To find it, go back to the city via the normal route and follow the signs toward the cannon. You'll pop right out of the hole.

Keep on going, you've still got tons of cool stuff ahead.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Ember Twin is probably the toughest planet to fully explore because its deepest layers fill up so fast. What you really need is to find the shortcut that leads to the fastest route into the city.

It's a small hole near the Gravity Cannon. It's really hard to spot from the outside if you don't know it's there. To find it, go back to the city via the normal route and follow the signs toward the cannon. You'll pop right out of the hole.

Keep on going, you've still got tons of cool stuff ahead.

Awesome, thanks, that's just the kind of tip I was looking for.

Wait, is it a shortcut where you have to jump outside of a hole? Like if you're going out from the city, the final step requires you to jetpack through a hole? If so I think I found it without realizing what it was.

Do you have any tips for finding everything in the Hanging City? I have explored that place so many times but the rumor map still says there is more to explore. Not sure what I'm missing. Maybe it has to do with me not having found the Black Hole Forge yet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

minya posted:

Wait, is it a shortcut where you have to jump outside of a hole? Like if you're going out from the city, the final step requires you to jetpack through a hole? If so I think I found it without realizing what it was.

Do you have any tips for finding everything in the Hanging City? I have explored that place so many times but the rumor map still says there is more to explore. Not sure what I'm missing. Maybe it has to do with me not having found the Black Hole Forge yet.

It's probably the forge or something on its upper level. You can't access it from the city itself so don't worry about it for now.

And yeah that's the hole. Way shorter than following the path from the escape pod.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

minya posted:

Do you have any tips for finding everything in the Hanging City? I have explored that place so many times but the rumor map still says there is more to explore.

You don't really need to. It's probably something as simple as a sign on a doorway you haven't read yet. I'd suggest you consult your computer and try to go to new places, rather than spending a lot of time on "completing" the ones you've visited. The mystery's designed to be solvable in many different orders, so there's a fair bit of redundancy.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

minya posted:

When you say you haven't found the black hole forge, do you mean you haven't seen the building? It's the black structure at the center of the hanging city.

If you're still missing something in the hanging city, have you found the forge's controls?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

youcallthatatwist posted:

When you say you haven't found the black hole forge, do you mean you haven't seen the building? It's the black structure at the center of the hanging city.

If you're still missing something in the hanging city, have you found the forge's controls?

Ohhh, that's what the forge is. I've seen the building, but still not sure how to access it.

Don't believe I've found the forge's controls either. Part of the problem is I find navigating the hanging city very disorienting. I'll feel like I made my way into a new area, but then end up realizing I actually explored it three loops ago.

Krazyface posted:

You don't really need to. It's probably something as simple as a sign on a doorway you haven't read yet. I'd suggest you consult your computer and try to go to new places, rather than spending a lot of time on "completing" the ones you've visited. The mystery's designed to be solvable in many different orders, so there's a fair bit of redundancy.

Yeah, I am getting better at just carrying on in the game and trying new things once I feel like I am not making any progress.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

drat, I never did this. I always went through the escape pod.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I had to look up the solution for getting inside of ember twin what what what i said ember twin ! booya long block of text at the end of the game. I thought they did an extremely poor job signposting that when everything else in the game was such a perfectly vague-but-not-too-vague clue.

Sucks cause all of my momentum exploring completely dried up at that part for literally 4+ hours cause I had done literally everything else. Figured out everything else no problem :negative:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 30, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

drat, I never did this. I always went through the escape pod.

Yeah I stumbled onto it on my second trip to the city and was really glad I did.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The shortcuts to the cities are such that you're super unlikely to find them while outside, but on the other hand theyre actually pretty easy to find when you're inside as long as you follow the signs and that's pretty awesome.

I played and finished the game three weeks ago and I had no trouble figuring everything out (although i understand they had to patch in some clues). Reading the thread was pretty interesting because for example I never had the fish problem that plagued so many. The quantum moon was my favorite part (but I'd be hard pressed to find a part I didn't like).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What is the "easy" way to get to the Sun Station? I only ever flew there because the teleporter on Ash Twin looked like it was clogged with cactus and inaccessible.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

haveblue posted:

What is the "easy" way to get to the Sun Station? I only ever flew there because the teleporter on Ash Twin looked like it was clogged with cactus and inaccessible.

The teleporter. You can either get to it early before the sand drains and walk over the cacti or just get good at platforming.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Arrhythmia posted:

The teleporter. You can either get to it early before the sand drains and walk over the cacti or just get good at platforming.

I must have tried platforming around the cacti half a dozen times before I realized, wait a sec there is no way they're expecting this level of precision jumping in this chill exploration game

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

haveblue posted:

The teleporter is clogged by cactuses but because of the rising sand you can time it so you can just walk between them. The window is just a few seconds, though.

One game that is kinda like Outer Wilds is Reventure - it has the same concept where you start at the same spot and explore the world until you die (or find one of the 100 different endings), and your knowledge of the game world is how you "level up". In contrast, there is no forced time limit, certain endings introduce changes in the game world, and there are lots of tools you can use, but there are also disadvantages to picking up tools, so it's a balancing act.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just plowed through the cactus lmao

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS
This is easily the best game I've played this year and one of the top 10 I've ever played.
I want to force everyone to play it, but unfortunately I can't.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

JoaoVitorBF posted:

This is easily the best game I've played this year and one of the top 10 I've ever played.
I want to force everyone to play it, but unfortunately I can't.

I'll trade you 1 fallout 76 account for it, I'll be waiting for your PM

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I felt like a big doofus when I realized I could just walk through the cacti after a bit after carefully jetpacking through it like a dozen times and only succeeding less than half of my attempts

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS

Sailor Dave posted:

I felt like a big doofus when I realized I could just walk through the cacti after a bit after carefully jetpacking through it like a dozen times and only succeeding less than half of my attempts

On all the loops that I've had to go through it, I did it the hard way by gently tapping the controls to jetpack around the cacti like I'm trying to land the ship on Lunar Lander.
It's probably harder to do that with K&M, though.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

ymgve posted:

The teleporter is clogged by cactuses but because of the rising sand you can time it so you can just walk between them. The window is just a few seconds, though.

One game that is kinda like Outer Wilds is Reventure - it has the same concept where you start at the same spot and explore the world until you die (or find one of the 100 different endings), and your knowledge of the game world is how you "level up". In contrast, there is no forced time limit, certain endings introduce changes in the game world, and there are lots of tools you can use, but there are also disadvantages to picking up tools, so it's a balancing act.

Another (free) game I played a few years back was Save the Date, which also has a similar concept Outer Wilds

http://paperdino.com/save-the-date/

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I didn’t know this existed until I saw people confusing it for Outer Worlds and it looks like the chill puzzle game I’ve been wanting for a while. This worth getting now or is it really short and better off waiting for a holiday sale?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
one of the best games ever, buy it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's my GotY

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dinosaurs! posted:

I didn’t know this existed until I saw people confusing it for Outer Worlds and it looks like the chill puzzle game I’ve been wanting for a while. This worth getting now or is it really short and better off waiting for a holiday sale?

It's only 22 minutes long and the ending kinda sucks

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Ok I’m not THAT in the dark about the premise. Thanks for the recs to push me over. I’m hyped.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dinosaurs! posted:

Short of any last minute surprises, it's my GOTY. Absolutely get it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

well it's no Disco Elysium

but it is still very excellent

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the sheer loving grit-toothed misery of outer wilds' "final stage" combined with the incredible cathartic spectacle of the end sequence itself would rocket it to my year's top 5 even if everything else in it was so-so

everything else in it is not so-so

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Dinosaurs! posted:

"How does one present a narrative story in a game while still giving the player full interactivity and choice to experience said narrative at any pace, and in any order they wish, without completely spoiling and rendering incoherent the story that you want to tell?"

This game solves that question. Judge for yourself if wanting to know how it achieves this is worth the asking price, or the price it will presumably be in the christmas sale.

Before you purchase, though, please bear the following in mind: It involves absolutely no combat whatsoever. Gordon Freeman you are not - this is the game that actually is revolutionary in the way everyone was praising Half-Life years ago for being, when Half-Life itself was absolutely not that thing (it was just a good-for-it's-time action-FPS). In this, you are a scientist and an explorer, at the mercy of the universe you live in. There are also no branching dialect paths that drastically change the way things unfold, no Mass Effect-style talking-head conversations, no voice acting even. It's still brilliant.

In my opinion? loving buy the thing right the gently caress now. Do it. Now. Get the credit card out if needs be. You might die in a freak accident next week. Make sure you die having played this game.

(I haven't played Disco Elysium yet but it's on my wishlist.)

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

games extremely good, one of the best ive played in general, that said, i hate sand, its coarse, rough, and it gets everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah I was being hyperbolic, games good but dont go into debt for it lol.