Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Quidthulhu posted:

Airbrush question!

I'm learning to use my airbrush, and one of the first set of models I ran through basecoating was a set of Space Marines in Salamanders colors. I loved how these turned out using an initial basecoat of Caliban Green, followed by a secondary full coat of Warpstone Glow on top.

My question is: Do I need to do both? I know with traditional painting the base coat is necessary in order to shine through a bit of the layer since it's thicker and that gives the layer colors more pop, etc. etc., but is that still true with the way a airbrush applies coverage? I'm happy to do both, just don't want to waste the paint and time if it isn't going to make a difference!

I should really learn how to Zenithal highlight instead of essentially doing two basecoats but I think that's gonna be step two with my Nighthaunt ghosties once I am comfortable with the basic mechanics of the airbrush operation :ghost:

You’re using an airbrush, just try it and see how it looks.
Try zenithall too, try basecoating hot pink and highlighting in neon green. TRY ALL THE THINGS. The worst that can happen is you waste a few drops of paint and have to rebasecoat a mini.

One of the very best things about airbrushing is that the coats are so thin you can just paint over a mini again and again without needing to strip it. So stop asking if you can do something and just do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Finished my Z-6 clone trooper, and have a full squad + heavy weapon painted and ready to field!

I feel like I'm getting better at painting white and not over-washing them now (like I did with the sergeant), although new paints and brushes could also help explain part of that :v: I'm loving the clones, though. I think I'm going to use their right shoulder pad for squad marks, maybe the next one will be purple or red? Painting their visors has been the most rear end-pain part of them so far, the very lowest part by where their mouths would be is barely bigger than the absolute smallest brush I've got (a 5/0). Going to Oath a full squad of them (and maybe a BARC speeder) next month! :)

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
Wondering what the thread’s opinion of the scale color paints is. I’ve frequently heard good things and was thinking of picking up the fantasy range.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

DotyManX posted:

Wondering what the thread’s opinion of the scale color paints is. I’ve frequently heard good things and was thinking of picking up the fantasy range.

Scalecolor is formulated differently from the fantasy range. Scalecolor is ultra matte and thicker. Fantasy is satin and has a different, thinner, consistency.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Bucnasti posted:

You’re using an airbrush, just try it and see how it looks.
Try zenithall too, try basecoating hot pink and highlighting in neon green. TRY ALL THE THINGS. The worst that can happen is you waste a few drops of paint and have to rebasecoat a mini.

One of the very best things about airbrushing is that the coats are so thin you can just paint over a mini again and again without needing to strip it. So stop asking if you can do something and just do it.

I appreciate this advice because I didn't know this is how it works! :v: I'm gonna try ALL THE THINGS now! Thanks!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DotyManX posted:

All of the scale 75 paints are fantastic.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

scale 75 good

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Cat Face Joe posted:

scale 75 good

Wish I could find these local (Canada). Shipping always gets on the way of me picking up a few of these to try out

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

w00tmonger posted:

Wish I could find these local (Canada). Shipping always gets on the way of me picking up a few of these to try out

I discovered it's cheaper to ship these to Canada from Spain than from the US store, by the way.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Stephenls posted:

I discovered it's cheaper to ship these to Canada from Spain than from the US store, by the way.

I found going direct with warcolors to be the same.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I painted Skaeth's Wild Hunt for a guy I know.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Painted our chunky friend Tor Garadon:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Electric Hobo posted:

I painted Skaeth's Wild Hunt for a guy I know.

I know your colors are very simple and muted, but you managed to make them look tremendously well-defined and vibrant. Everything stands out perfectly and simultaneously blends in seamlessly.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Booley posted:

awesome job, so much better without the bare head too

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Been busy with a new job and stuff, but had some time the last couple of days to play around with purple:

I'll probably do some more Skaven in the same scheme, but it'll likely be over Christmas now.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Booley posted:

I gotta say, your yellow Space Marines are my favorite thing in this thread. Great scheme, great weathering, even great photography. Love them!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I gotta say, your yellow Space Marines are my favorite thing in this thread. Great scheme, great weathering, even great photography. Love them!

thanks!

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Some cracking stuff posted recently!

I've just finished off this Hellblaster. Wasn't really sure about what to do with the plasma coils but I'm quite happy with this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Count_Brass posted:

Some cracking stuff posted recently!

I've just finished off this Hellblaster. Wasn't really sure about what to do with the plasma coils but I'm quite happy with this.

This is one delightful dude.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Whipped up a test figurine for a new army of bugs.

Anyone got any favorite ways to paint black claws?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I was looking in one of my mini carrying cases and found some experiments from a while back.

This mini is a bit chipped and never got the final details she needed, but I think the NMM came out well. I should revisit it, try some more experiments.

Some experiments with undead flesh. I believe this used Reaper's ghoul flesh, undead flesh, and vampire skin, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

I'm actually kind of mad about this. This is easily the best yellow I've ever done, and I cannot for the life of me remember which paints I used.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Whipped up a test figurine for a new army of bugs.

Anyone got any favorite ways to paint black claws?
I highlight with a yellow-brown and a bone color, to try and get a similar look to a black bear's claws.
I found this chart of claws a while ago, it's a nice reference.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Crosspostin'

Finished my Salamanders Aggressor yesterday. For some reason it took me six or seven attempts to apply that Chapter transfer because either it wouldn't come off the paper or it instantly decided to crease due to some microscopic bump or something.

Now I honestly want to paint more Salamanders. :v:

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
You definitely should, that looks great! Love the base as well

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cooked Auto posted:

Crosspostin'

Finished my Salamanders Aggressor yesterday. For some reason it took me six or seven attempts to apply that Chapter transfer because either it wouldn't come off the paper or it instantly decided to crease due to some microscopic bump or something.

Now I honestly want to paint more Salamanders. :v:

Gorgeous work.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Count_Brass posted:

You definitely should, that looks great! Love the base as well

Need to get my hands on more Primaris marines for that unless I dip into my supposedly Blood Raven Tac Marines.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Hey, I made a short tutorial on putting together a wet palette out of materials you might already have on hand. As someone who is interested in sharpening my painting skills (and can't stand wasting paint) I found it a valuable tool for working with paint. There are probably better ones on the market, but also worse. Anyhow this is any easy way to give it a try for a few bucks.

https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-how-to-make-a-simple-wet-palette/

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

painted a few new boys

went easier on the dark tone shade for me space wolf this time

also a pox walker

pox walker is much better for someone like me who has just started painting because really the shittier you do, the better they look

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Finished a couple older models for our DnD group:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I got some Contrast paints on a whim yesterday (hoping to get through my backlog a bit faster). Should I be hitting all my minis with a coat of white before I use them or something?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

For the paints to work as intended you need to use either Wraithbone or Greyseer as the base coat underneath.
You can achieve some interesting results with contrasts over normal paints as well but the coverage won't be as effective.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The deal with contrasts is that they're more translucent where they're thinnest, so a white undercoat gives a highlighted appearance.

Another application is replicating some of the rich brown-greens you see on WW2 uniforms, where the green is more evident in the shade. Just prime leather brown and hit it with contrast Militarum Green.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Skeleton Horde is a hell of a colour

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Should I prime my space barbies black or white? I’m using rattle can paint and painting their armor Raven guard black if it matters.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ropes4u posted:

Should I prime my space barbies black or white? I’m using rattle can paint and painting their armor Raven guard black if it matters.

If you're painting black, prime black.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Booley posted:

If you're painting black, prime black.

Thank you

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ignite Memories posted:

I got some Contrast paints on a whim yesterday (hoping to get through my backlog a bit faster). Should I be hitting all my minis with a coat of white before I use them or something?

The way Contrast works is that it's halfway between a paint and a wash. You need some kind of undercoat to provide brightness, which is what the grey and tan colors are for. Contrast will always darken the model so keep that in mind.

This was done by painting the whole model in VMA Bonewhite, washing in AP Soft Tone, and then drybrushing in VMA Bonewhite and then VMA White. Once that is done I applied two coats of 50/50 Contrast Medium and Talassar Blue.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

richyp posted:

Skeleton Horde is a hell of a colour

That guy is looking awesome.

Working on the old Vampire Counts black coach. Finished up the vampire, now to lock him away in the back.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Ignite Memories posted:

You'll want a white primer on them, yeah. Wraithbone and greyseer are designed to give the best effect, but any white primer (or even a very even coat of white paint) will give you decent results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This was done by painting the whole model in VMA Bonewhite, washing in AP Soft Tone, and then drybrushing in VMA Bonewhite and then VMA White. Once that is done I applied two coats of 50/50 Contrast Medium and Talassar Blue.

This is excellent info, I'm about to contrast some nazis and I'm still thinking about how to do my hoarde of space bugs.

Thanks!