Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
School kids as part of a basic education?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You would think that.

You would be wrong.

edit: We learn about the constitution, but only rough details about the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, and sometimes the 14th amendments.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chichevache posted:

Who the gently caress sits around reading the constitution?

No one in the executive branch

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Vasudus posted:

You would think that.

You would be wrong.

edit: We learn about the constitution, but only rough details about the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, and sometimes the 14th amendments.

:ohno:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My government teacher made us study the constitution exhaustively (For 10th graders).

Government was an elective course in high school.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

IIRC Constituition/Bill of Rights didn't happen until high school, and of course YMMV, it depends on how well funded your district is, and how chuddy your state school board.

Grade school was Declaration up until war of 1812.

The Articles of Confederation and the whole Federalist debate was a footnote.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I went to public school in an extremely well funded New England state.

In grade school we were taught about the Civil War being about slaves, and a few famous generals.

In middle school we went over the constitution/bill of rights/etc. as a concept, but not really in detail. We did cover the Civil War in more detail, and even covered a bit of Reconstruction.

In high school my government/civics class was an elective that I took. We discussed primarily the federal/state system, the justice system, etc.

All my high school level history classes were focused on WW1/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. They didn't really offer anything about the Revolution or a dedicated Civil War class.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I remember WW2 internment camps being maybe a two paragraph section in my junior high history book.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Civics class should be what covers it. I remember learning about it in middle and high school civics. Also history classes.

My idiot brothers are of the same line of thought as my coworker. Like, dumbasses, it takes very little time to read the constitution. It's not Playboy, you shouldn't be skipping articles.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

holocaust bloopers posted:

I remember WW2 internment camps being maybe a two paragraph section in my junior high history book.

How the gently caress did I get a better education on your history than you

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Because that's the point.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I didn't learn about us ww2 Japanese internment camps until I moved to Washington/California and was in college

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Chichevache posted:

Who the gently caress sits around reading the constitution?

Patriots :patriot:

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The US never did bad stuff according to the US.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

One of the two major parties in America is ideologically committed to the idea that slashing funding for anything that isn't a billionaire paying for their re-election is a universally positive goal in all situations, at all times, with no end ever. That this coincidentally creates a largely uneducated public is a feature, not a bug. Educated people start asking questions and believing things other than propaganda, and that is inconvenient

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It’s also class warfare. You can keep the useful skills gated behind a university education and limit it so that the right kind of people get it. Who are now financially invested and encouraged to separate from their non-educated peers and compound/perpetuate the cycle.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
If that’s shocking, you certainly would poo poo yourself if you knew how little/twisted the material around native americans was.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

current event: im glad reagan dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuYpLn9MmTE

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

holocaust bloopers posted:

If that’s shocking, you certainly would poo poo yourself if you knew how little/twisted the material around native americans was.

It's less shocking than outraged despair

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Does reading the 2nd on repeat count as reading at this point? Or do you think they just parse all the words and bumper stickers as one contiguous symbol for white power?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im happy i had a good us history teacher in 11th who did poo poo like put up a map of the us with registered hate groups marked out with dots from 1927 surprise its from 2005 and went over the trail of tears and internment camps. He even did quick brushups on the constitution even tho his class was suppossed to be like 1865 to current times

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Jeez, I guess I got a better education in high school then I realized.

My 10th grade history book was A People's History of the United States.

We also learned how the Kennedy assassination was a conspiracy, a guy named Smeadly Butler stopped the DuPoint and Rockefeller families from starting a military junta, and Reagan gutted the working class by going to war with the unions.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I had never heard about the butler thing until i started watching those beau youtube vids

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

BigDave posted:

Jeez, I guess I got a better education in high school then I realized.

We also learned how the Kennedy assassination was a conspiracy, a guy named Smeadly Butler stopped the DuPoint and Rockefeller families from starting a military junta, and Reagan gutted the working class by going to war with the unions.

If Bezos and Musk tried that again could anyone realistically stop them?

I can also imagine the tech billionaires deciding that they were now the sole oligarchy of most of South America and the rest of the world just shrugging their shoulders.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Hong Kong is starting to go full blown Mike Tyson.

Associated Press posted:

HONG KONG (AP) — A knife-wielding man slashed several people and bit off part of the ear of a pro-democracy politician in Hong Kong on Sunday, as riot police stormed several malls to thwart protesters who have been demanding government reforms for nearly five months.

The bloody attack erupted outside one of those shopping complexes, Cityplaza on Hong Kong Island. Local media said the attacker told his victims that Hong Kong belongs to China.

Television footage showed the man biting the ear of district councilor Andrew Chiu, who had tried to stop him from leaving after the stabbings. The attacker was then badly beaten up by a crowd after the attack, before police arrived. Five people were injured, two critically and two seriously, news reports said.

https://apnews.com/74137204c9d04da7b72bac4f53665a4c

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
At surface take is have sided with the guy who bit the ear off of his local councilman but then apparently that guy said something as stupid as “Hong Kong belongs to China?”

Why would you go so far to fight people and bite ears if you’re in support of the coming fascist oppression?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Authoritarians are willing to kill to make sure everybody tastes boot

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/gazawanismaeel/status/1191122811689078784?s=20 I imagine this ends well.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

M_Gargantua posted:

If Bezos and Musk tried that again could anyone realistically stop them?

I can also imagine the tech billionaires deciding that they were now the sole oligarchy of most of South America and the rest of the world just shrugging their shoulders.
Sure it's nice to have some small forces that answer directly to you for a few specific purposes but bigger picture, why bother paying to form their own private forces? Outsource that poo poo. Look at the savings they get by buying a few politicians that dictate their policy then letting everyone else in the country pay for the actual system. Privatized gains, socialized costs are the playbook of the last 70-something years of government.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:barf:

https://twitter.com/TBreassealeDHS/status/1191068883337138176

...... how? Has she not seen the dead hooker closet?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I wonder if he'll spray paint his hair back on for the wedding.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
It’s honestly shocking that anyone could claim to love that dead-eyed reptile

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Deathy McDeath posted:

It’s honestly shocking that anyone could claim to love that dead-eyed reptile

It's good to be rich

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

...... how? Has she not seen the dead hooker closet?

Couples that kill hookers together, stay together.

I'm pretty sure, that's how the saying goes.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

BigDave posted:

It wasn't our primary text, but we read a lot of excerpts from that in 11th grade history.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hannibal Rex posted:

Couples that kill hookers together, stay together.

I'm pretty sure, that's how the saying goes.

I just realized that since he's a hypercon, he's likely marrying her for her good cooking.

Of the dead hookers.

In the closet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EBB posted:

current event: im glad reagan dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuYpLn9MmTE

Yeah, Reagan was an rear end, Dollop does a good two parter of Reagan with Patton Oswalt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZlRX1EVnSw

Reagan was trash, he was practically Trump but even further into his brain being mush.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/cancel_sam/status/1190855113373560833?s=21

Just another rich person.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

That's an incredibly disingenuous framing of what she's saying, good lord

e: Seriously, here are her two statements:

Statement A: The middle class will not see any tax increases under her plan.

Statement B: The only people who will see tax increases are billionaires.

To arrive at the imagined Statement C, "Everyone who is not a billionaire is middle-class" requires a leap of logic so tortured that it spent most of the bush administration imprisoned at a CIA black site in Kazakhstan.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 4, 2019