Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Wow I can't believe P5 still sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, Sae is a huge mess of a human being in ways that are directly connected to her job.

I think a lot of people just tend to give dads a pass on being awful which bothers me for personal reasons I admit, so this kind of hits a sore spot for me.
Yeah but Sae's way more poorly written. I give P4 a lot of poo poo but the home life scenes with Dojima and Nanako (and sometimes Adachi) are the best written stuff in that game and actually sell both the good and bad of those relationships. In Sae's case she spends 90% of the game either going WHO TAUGHT YOU HOW TO PLAY HOUSE OF THE DEAD or talking to a guy who literally doesn't have a name and could be replaced with a tape recorder set next to a coffee mug that says 'don't be sexist - bitches hate that!', has a palace where a bunch of awful poo poo gets brought up that nobody ever acknowledges or will ever acknowledge, has one scene, then basically vanishes for the rest of the game.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, Sae is a huge mess of a human being in ways that are directly connected to her job.

I think a lot of people just tend to give dads a pass on being awful which bothers me for personal reasons I admit, so this kind of hits a sore spot for me.

Maybe my perception of this is skewed, but I see a lot of bad fathers in anime circles basically stay reviled by readers even if the story makes it a point to try and have that father legitimately apologize and try to atone for whatever they did to damage their families. To the point where some readers might not even want that character to get any forgiveness from their families at all.

Dojima is emotionally distant, an alchoholic, and a guy who really wasn't suited towards raising a child on his own for a number of reasons and his social link is basically you helping him realize that and and stop hiding behind his wife's death and face his daughter and his responsibilities as a father. And even without that he still goes to bat for Nanako when she gets kidnapped landing him in the hospital for his efforts. Sae doesn't get to develop like that, has a mountain of skeletons far worse in her closet as has been pointed out numerous times, and when the story really should have delved into that troubled past it sidesteps that entirely because it's more important to have Joker pull off his master Keikaku and for Sae to just be a pawn in it rather than have her develop. So even with all the crap that is the result of her job and the environment she works in all the time it never gets a proper resolution. And it's clear Atlus hadn't forgotten how to write troubled guardian figures because Sojiro/Futaba exists even it I also think that was underwhelming in the writing to some degree.

I just can't be mad at Detective Dad because he's one of the better parts of the writing and side-content of Persona 4 and there was a clear trajectory for his character and had meaning put into it. I can be tired of Persona 5 not feeling like it knew what kind of character it wanted Sae to be at any point in the story.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
so glad the internet stopped me buying Royal. Persona 5 is already probably worst Persona, depending on how forgiving i am of #1 at any given time.

still might get Persona Musou Warriors though, I loved Arena.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm getting the Warriors game even if it sucks because I like stupid Warriors spin off.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i have faith that persona musou will be sick as hell

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does Royal change the gameplay in any way?

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
I've heard that statuses are less effective, there are some team up attacks like in P4, there's a new playable character, some adjustments and additions to the social mechanics, and bonus stuff like Jose, new final dungeon, etc. They also added a grappling hook that you use is palaces here and there but that basically doesn't mean anything. The core gameplay is pretty much the same though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bullets are changed and reload after battle.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The only disappointing Warriors spin-off is Fire Emblem Warriors and even that was a fun game whose main problem was a lackluster, samey character roster.

P5 Scramble will slap.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Box of Bunnies posted:

The only disappointing Warriors spin-off is Fire Emblem Warriors

The Dynasty Warriors: Gundam games beg to differ. First one is...okay, and then they rapidly went pretty crap.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The Dynasty Warriors: Gundam games beg to differ. First one is...okay, and then they rapidly went pretty crap.

Ah, I only played the third one of those and had fun enough with it :shrug: Mea culpa on that, I guess. I imagine Attack on Titan 2 probably would've been bleh to people who'd already played the first one, too, in terms of the relative amount of content added but as someone that skipped straight to it it was pretty great.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, FE Warriors kinda made me cautious of those, even if Zelda Warriors was better. If there's a FE Warriors 2, I hope there's more variety of the playable characters, hopefully less of the Hoshidan and Nohrian families.

I could totally see myself buying P5 Scramble, though!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

2 was worse but the couple after that were better

Nothing holds a candle to Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 for lovely Warriors spin-offs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Nah, 3 was really really good. I liked 2 a bunch also but it might actually be the grindiest Musou.

Never played Reborn though

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Box of Bunnies posted:

The only disappointing Warriors spin-off is Fire Emblem Warriors and even that was a fun game whose main problem was a lackluster, samey character roster.

P5 Scramble will slap.

Are you that crazy person that loved the berserk one, because why

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tae posted:

Are you that crazy person that loved the berserk one, because why

i'm the forgetful person who blanked on the existence of the berserk and fotns ones :shobon:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Berserk Musou was mostly fine just needed more content. gently caress the bosses though, ugh

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nah, 3 was really really good. I liked 2 a bunch also but it might actually be the grindiest Musou.

Never played Reborn though

I can't even remember anything about 3. The first two games and Reborn I remember well enough, but there's this blank gap in my memory where 3 is concerned. I know it exists, I know I own it and played it at some point, I just... don't remember it.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

amigolupus posted:

I'm still in the middle of replaying EP but IIRC, Katsuya's deal is that he wanted to be a pâtissier but had to give up on his dreams and became a detective. Part of this is because A) his dad got framed and had to leave the police in shame and Katsuya wanted to find out what really happened, and B) Being a detective pays better and allows him to support his family better.

Within the first hour of the game, he got taken off the JOKER investigation team after including the existence of demons and Personas in his report. Then a couple dungeons later, the police chief relieves him of active duty because Katsuya kept insisting they should investigate Tatsuzou Sudou, the guy likely behind everything. A lot of Katsuya's arc has him dealing with corruption in the police while still holding on to his sense of justice.

Tadashi is completely missing in EP and Tamaki says something about how Tadashi has assassins after him. So I think in-between the release of IS and EP, Tadashi Satomi got a lot of flak from the fans for that self-insert and removed himself in the game as a joke. :v:

finally, we found the one good cop in persona :v: (ty for the info!! i never got to play ep b/c epp never got tled :negative:)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1191322158712049664

more interesting than anything in p5r

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Does that mean that Haru is gonna start smoking weed on the reg?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Having weed is super illegal in Japan and the Phantom Thieves are actually a bunch of weenies outside of the brainwashing.

Except for Haru. Also Futaba.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You could have cut every Shadow Dragon character from the Fire Emblem one besides Marth and Caeda and I don't think many people would have given two shits. That concept deserved a better roster.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I'm hype, even if it seems like we will only get P5 characters instead of the huge rosters of Dynasty Warriors Gundam and Hyrule Warriors Legend.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

You could have cut every Shadow Dragon character from the Fire Emblem one besides Marth and Caeda and I don't think many people would have given two shits. That concept deserved a better roster.
The shadow dragon characters weren't really the issue. Linde, Navarre, and Minerva weren't the problem with that roster. It was moveset variety, not the specific characters. Even if you made the roster more diverse, if it had as many clones, it'd still suck.

Not to mention that there were massive gaps in the game's base roster, gameplay-wise. It's a game built around the weapon triangle, but there's not a single lance user in the game that doesn't use the pegasus knight moveset, unless you pay money for oboro or azura. It's a weapon triangle based game with 10 sword users, 4 axe users, and 3 lance users in the base roster. And all of those lance users have the same moveset, and two of the axe users do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

double post

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Justin_Brett posted:

Still waiting for a legit crossover where I can have the option of the Demi-Fiend and Sigurd hanging out or the Elibe gang hanging out with the Spookies.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I wonder if Akechi will be in P5S :thunk:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Alder posted:

no but he's an obvious first choice if they start selling dlc characters

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

The shadow dragon characters weren't really the issue. Linde, Navarre, and Minerva weren't the problem with that roster. It was moveset variety, not the specific characters. Even if you made the roster more diverse, if it had as many clones, it'd still suck.

Not to mention that there were massive gaps in the game's base roster, gameplay-wise. It's a game built around the weapon triangle, but there's not a single lance user in the game that doesn't use the pegasus knight moveset, unless you pay money for oboro or azura. It's a weapon triangle based game with 10 sword users, 4 axe users, and 3 lance users in the base roster. And all of those lance users have the same moveset, and two of the axe users do.

To be fair, all the Axes were unique. Lissa, Frederick and Camilla all had their own. But the only other axes was Minerva, a Camilla clone, in the DLC.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm hype, even if it seems like we will only get P5 characters instead of the huge rosters of Dynasty Warriors Gundam and Hyrule Warriors Legend.

Someone here ran the numbers, and the base roster here is roughly comparable to what Hyrule Warriors had at launch. And honestly, with similar potential for expansion; Scramble has less games to pull from than Hyrule for DLC, but it can get more characters out of the ones it can pull from.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Someone here ran the numbers, and the base roster here is roughly comparable to what Hyrule Warriors had at launch. And honestly, with similar potential for expansion; Scramble has less games to pull from than Hyrule for DLC, but it can get more characters out of the ones it can pull from.
There's just over 20 living party members who've shown they can fight from P3 on, but I expect only Yu, Yosuke, and Chie will show up if they're feeling bold.

Fun fact: I looked up a popularity poll and the highest ranking characters were Yosuke, Chie, and Adachi. Yu was just one place lower than Adachi. Of course, that was just one poll, so.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Alder posted:

Considering Royal rewrites the ending so he is 100% alive and not in jail at the end, I would bet all of my money he's prob a DLC character

no im not biased in any way

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i wouldn't get my hopes up about non-p5 characters showing up in scramble, it seems like they're trying to pitch it as a proper followup to p5's story and not just another crossover musou

dlc's another story though

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Akechi, in some fashion, is def in and I would be very surprised if it turns out to not be the case. I would be more surprised at including past Persona cast members than him.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Huh. I was expecting, coming into here after learning about P5R's new plot points, more black bars regarding The Akechi Discourse 2: Takuto Boogaloo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Junpei posted:

Huh. I was expecting, coming into here after learning about P5R's new plot points, more black bars regarding The Akechi Discourse 2: Takuto Boogaloo

There's not much to discourse, I think everyone is kind of in agreement that what Atlus decided to do with Akechi in Royal satisfies no one and solves nothing. It's just kind of pointless.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There's not much to discourse, I think everyone is kind of in agreement that what Atlus decided to do with Akechi in Royal satisfies no one and solves nothing. It's just kind of pointless.

I should have myself clear: I wasn't actually referring to the changes in Akechi's character, I meant that Takuto seems to be trying to walk the line of understandable, even sympathetic but still clearly in the wrong that Akechi was on, hence him being 'Part Two' of the Akechi Discourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Junpei posted:

I should have myself clear: I wasn't actually referring to the changes in Akechi's character, I meant that Takuto seems to be trying to walk the line of understandable, even sympathetic but still clearly in the wrong that Akechi was on, hence him being 'Part Two' of the Akechi Discourse.

it's hard to drill down into what's objectionable about maruki on summaries alone, i mean he's got a Great Old One in his brain calling the shots but otherwise his fantasyland scheme doesn't seem to have many downsides as presented

though, again, it's bitterly funny that the ultimate baddie in a jrpg turns out to be a mental health professional