Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Strawman posted:

If it's a deliberate foul from behind while they're running at full speed, yes?

I remember people (not necessarily you) saying that Saido Mane shouldn't have been sent off for kicking Ederson in the head. Son's tackle wasn't anywhere close to as bad as that, but the outcome is worse due to Andre Gomes' foot getting stuck under him as he and Aurier collided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

pik_d posted:

I remember people (not necessarily you) saying that Saido Mane shouldn't have been sent off for kicking Ederson in the head. Son's tackle wasn't anywhere close to as bad as that, but the outcome is worse due to Andre Gomes' foot getting stuck under him as he and Aurier collided.

You're conflating two entirely different situations. Mané was making a genuine attempt for the ball and Ederson ducked into his foot. It was a foul, sure, but honestly the red card was ridiculous.

Son deliberately tried to trip Gomes with absolutely no attempt to win the ball. It was a professional foul that recklessly endangered an opponent.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

EvilHawk posted:

You're conflating two entirely different situations. Mané was making a genuine attempt for the ball and Ederson ducked into his foot. It was a foul, sure, but honestly the red card was ridiculous.

Son deliberately tried to trip Gomes with absolutely no attempt to win the ball. It was a professional foul that recklessly endangered an opponent.

It was literally a freak accident that happened after the foul. The ref had a yellow out before he saw the injury because it was a yellow card worthy foul.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Son should go to prison for that imo

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

West007 posted:

Son should go to prison for that imo

he already plays for spurs op

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Big fan of Leicester managing to con manu out of 80M for the most overrated, bang average centre back in the league and then looking nailed on for top four while manu hover dangerously close to relegation. Big fan.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

ozmunkeh posted:

Big fan of Leicester managing to con manu out of 80M for the most overrated, bang average centre back in the league and then looking nailed on for top four while manu hover dangerously close to relegation. Big fan.

I think Maguire is still good but it’s funny that somehow Utd bought our 3rd best centre back.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Naughty challenge

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Imagine be as stupid as EvilHawk and not thinking that this challenge was worthy of a red card.

Ederson won a header and got studded in the face, that's a red card 100% of the time you loving moron.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I can’t imagine thinking that’s anything other than a red 7 days a week even if Alan Shearer did it to Lee Cattermole

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Shrapnig posted:

Imagine be as stupid as EvilHawk

I simply cannot. I'm just not able to think on such grandiose levels.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

ozmunkeh posted:

It's the beginning of November, no one but Liverpool and City are nailed on for anything and even then who knows what will happen.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Blinkz0rz posted:

It's the beginning of November, no one but Liverpool and City are nailed on for anything and even then who knows what will happen.

Emery is nailed on for the bin.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Newcastle nailed on for 4th place imo, Europe here we come

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Obv Benitez was holding them back.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Newcastle nailed on for 4th place imo, Europe here we come

4th place in the Championship next season with a fluke Cup win is pretty ambitious

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

pik_d posted:

It was literally a freak accident that happened after the foul. The ref had a yellow out before he saw the injury because it was a yellow card worthy foul.

It was a yellow automatically for the fact it was an attempt to take the player. It becomes a red when the consequences of that foul seriously injure the player. If Son doesn't just take the player, he doesn't stumble, he doesn't trap his foot and have it move in ways only an Action Man figure's should.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Bundy posted:

It was a yellow automatically for the fact it was an attempt to take the player. It becomes a red when the consequences of that foul seriously injure the player. If Son doesn't just take the player, he doesn't stumble, he doesn't trap his foot and have it move in ways only an Action Man figure's should.

:tinfoil:

Yep, accident. Hindsight is a blessing and a curse. Quit being daft.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
So was it a compound fracture or just a floppy leg? I’ve seen legs go and yeah it’s gross but normally people aren’t that upset.

the reaction on this one from the crowd made it seem like it was a compound fracture.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

:tinfoil:

Yep, accident. Hindsight is a blessing and a curse. Quit being daft.

The foul was totally intentional The result obviously was not. Gomes won’t play for a year, if he ever does again. Son will play again in a couple weeks and that’s it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

So was it a compound fracture or just a floppy leg? I’ve seen legs go and yeah it’s gross but normally people aren’t that upset.

the reaction on this one from the crowd made it seem like it was a compound fracture.

If the toes of your foot usually point due north, after how he landed from that tackle his toes were pointed due East. It was a horrific ankle injury

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Fracture + dislocation

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Okay so just a run of the mill horror tackle injury and not a Kevin Ware on the pitch deal

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Shrapnig posted:

Imagine be as stupid as EvilHawk and not thinking that this challenge was worthy of a red card.

Ederson won a header and got studded in the face, that's a red card 100% of the time you loving moron.

It's a red. But it's not the same as the Son challenge. Mane had his eyes on the ball 100% and wasnt trying to tackle Ederson in the air with a flying boot.

Out of curiosity, was the guy that booted Terry in the face red carded? I genuinely can't remember

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CyberPingu posted:

Out of curiosity, was the guy that booted Terry in the face red carded? I genuinely can't remember

Lol no, Diaby didn’t even get a yellow.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

skasion posted:

there should be some sort of annual celebration of that

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

skasion posted:

As it should be

CyberPingu posted:

It's a red. But it's not the same as the Son challenge. Mane had his eyes on the ball 100% and wasnt trying to tackle Ederson in the air with a flying boot.

Nobody is arguing that, everyone is pointing out how insane it is for evil hawk to argue it’s not a red

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CyberPingu posted:

"Eyes on the ball" isn't a defence for dangerous play, it makes it worse if the player is throwing his foot 6-7' in the air with no awareness of who is around him. Intent to hurt is irrelevant if a player is out of control and a danger to others.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CyberPingu posted:

I don’t even remember that it was a foul. It was a different situation, though. Diaby was trying to control a ball he already played, and Terry’s head was much lower.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

blue footed boobie posted:

I don’t even remember that it was a foul. It was a different situation, though. Diaby was trying to control a ball he already played, and Terry’s head was much lower.

https://twitter.com/IsMisePaddy/status/786212217494597632?s=20

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

sassassin posted:

"Eyes on the ball" isn't a defence for dangerous play, it makes it worse if the player is throwing his foot 6-7' in the air with no awareness of who is around him. Intent to hurt is irrelevant if a player is out of control and a danger to others.

Yeah but in the same vein, a keeper isn't going to be sent off if he charges out at a corner in an attempt to punch the ball clear and punches someone directly in the face whilst not looking at who is around him

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah but in the same vein, a keeper isn't going to be sent off if he charges out at a corner in an attempt to punch the ball clear and punches someone directly in the face whilst not looking at who is around him

Just spitballing here but I believe that keepers are permitted to use their hands and use them above the shoulders

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bundy posted:

That's nowhere in the rules and makes absolutely no sense, the offence is on the *likelihood* of causing severe injury. Should the guy holding back Henrik Larsson when his leg exploded* have got a red? After all it was a foul, and it led to serious injury. What about if a goalie knocks himself out on the post after saving a shot that turned out to be handball**? That's a yellow card offence but it led to a serious injury. On the other side, if a player goes in high over the ball with both feet at knee height and doesn't cause an injury - or even misses the other player altogether - is that now just a yellow card or even a waved play on?

* Yes I know this is a hella old reference but it kinda sticks in your head when you've seen it
** Actual example from a few years ago but buggered if I can find it on such a vague recollection

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's ridiculous to be giving cards on the basis of the result of a challenge. If you happened to be tackling a dude rushed back from injury and he breaks his leg on your very gentle tactical foul, why should that result in any punishment for you?

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

goddamnedtwisto posted:

On the other side, if a player goes in high over the ball with both feet at knee height and doesn't cause an injury - or even misses the other player altogether - is that now just a yellow card or even a waved play on?

Did a Man United player do it? If so no foul, play on.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

As a reminder that football is all drama, I think Son might not have been sent off if he hadn't reacted so despondently. The ref allowed the emotion of the situation to influence him. At the very least the thing should have gone to VAR, though VAR would probably have hosed it up anyway.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Vegetable posted:

As a reminder that football is all drama, I think Son might not have been sent off if he hadn't reacted so despondently. The ref allowed the emotion of the situation to influence him. At the very least the thing should have gone to VAR, though VAR would probably have hosed it up anyway.

The ref gave him a yellow originally though?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's nowhere in the rules and makes absolutely no sense, the offence is on the *likelihood* of causing severe injury. Should the guy holding back Henrik Larsson when his leg exploded* have got a red? After all it was a foul, and it led to serious injury. What about if a goalie knocks himself out on the post after saving a shot that turned out to be handball**? That's a yellow card offence but it led to a serious injury. On the other side, if a player goes in high over the ball with both feet at knee height and doesn't cause an injury - or even misses the other player altogether - is that now just a yellow card or even a waved play on?

* Yes I know this is a hella old reference but it kinda sticks in your head when you've seen it
** Actual example from a few years ago but buggered if I can find it on such a vague recollection

Careful bud, we're getting close to making sense.

That's dangerous around here.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The ref gave him a yellow originally though?
He gave the yellow immediately after the challenge, before the injury became clear and before Son started weeping non-stop about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The whole thing reminded me of the Fabrice Muamba incident. That one was really hosed up, we genuinely thought he was dead and people were openly crying in the stands and all