Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I wish I liked 07's writing at all so that 7/8ths of this thread were relevant to me or something

Not actually a complaint about anyone, but it's a bummer

R07 can't write for poo poo, but Umineko Chiru convinced me it's worth suffering through it.

His M.O. of tell, show, tell again, show some more, is insane though. At least it makes it easy to effectively skip a scene once you've identified the thesis he will expound upon: I have never finished any of his games without extremely liberal use of fast-forwarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

LordMune posted:

R07 can't write for poo poo, but Umineko Chiru convinced me it's worth suffering through it.

His M.O. of tell, show, tell again, show some more, is insane though. At least it makes it easy to effectively skip a scene once you've identified the thesis he will expound upon: I have never finished any of his games without extremely liberal use of fast-forwarding.
This is weird IMO

A big reason I like Ryukishi is his characters just, like, interacting. I like that he takes a deliberate pace (which yes sometimes goes too far) to allow them to just be people and bounce off of each other which grounds the mystery or more serious story segments in a way that makes me care about solving them or seeing what happens next. Something like Ciconia would not work at all for me if I didn't like having long stretches of everyone talking through stuff and even if a scene isn't super plot relevant I think they are needed to give them personality. Which to be fair you don't have to like his characters it's all subjective in the end, nor do you have to let that excuse his (often slow) pacing, but it just feels odd to churn through those long games fast forwarding through parts that I think even in a vacuum are often fun. That feels like it's missing the point of the experience of unraveling these mysteries while simultaneously caring about the characters involved.

The real answer to much of this is IMO more than it was a series written and paced with two chapters being released in a calendar year, so you're not meant to burn yourself out on each one and thus are supposed to take your time and let each one marinate.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 1, 2019

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
He can repeat a point too much I agree, the walls of peace stuff was kinda, tiring after a while in this game.
But like, reading something and then skipping a majority of that something is nuts and at that point why are you even reading it?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Well, to throw off all of Ciconia, I finally have enough free time this weekend to read through a chapter of Umineko. Time to go back to liveblogging! I'm reading through chapter 3 now, currently at the beach at the beginning.

Battler didn't figure out that Shannon and George were going out the last two times, IIRC (it has been quite a while). Is Battler actually looping? I had been assuming the little meta game thing Beatrice and Battler have been playing to be a kind of fun thing that was separate from the Battler of the story, but now I'm not quite so sure. Particularly with the bleeding over from his thoughts about wanting he days on the island to be peaceful and end.

Edit: Ronove? How many characters is this story going to have? :psyduck:

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 1, 2019

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

There's like sixty main characters by the end

They never stop coming

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, Umineko has nearly a hundred characters and of those I'd say about 50-60 get some kind of importance to the plot or moment of character development.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Ciconia is a lot better-paced than previous When They Cries, but even there R07 will frequently repeat himself or re-examine the same concept from several minutely different angles. Umineko sometimes took this to an extreme with protracted fights over facts or theories that had already been in/validated hours or minutes before. There's character stuff in there sure, but by the sixth game I have a pretty good grasp of who Battler is as a person, thanks.

I have a bit more patience for his writing in Japanese, the stilted and overly-literal translation of Umineko (and to a lesser extent Ciconia, again much improved) does him no favors. But regardless, he needs an editor bad. He is extremely capable of subtle portrayal and conveyance, but does not seem to trust himself at all and always falls back on repetition and outright telling the reader what is going on rather than letting characters and events speak for themselves.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Squiddycat posted:

There's like sixty main characters by the end

They never stop coming

me reading ciconia: yeah looking at the size of this cast list already i really doubt its going to bring in as many characters as umineko did later. like of course there will be some expansions but i just don't see it getting much bigger
reality, probably: ciconia will have a cast of 250 named characters

e: honestly tho like I feel like CPP personalities could change things up enough where you don't need to bring in an entirely new character. I think we will probably get like some more family members of some of the non factory born people tho maybe, as well.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 2, 2019

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

LordMune posted:

Ciconia is a lot better-paced than previous When They Cries, but even there R07 will frequently repeat himself or re-examine the same concept from several minutely different angles. Umineko sometimes took this to an extreme with protracted fights over facts or theories that had already been in/validated hours or minutes before. There's character stuff in there sure, but by the sixth game I have a pretty good grasp of who Battler is as a person, thanks.

I have a bit more patience for his writing in Japanese, the stilted and overly-literal translation of Umineko (and to a lesser extent Ciconia, again much improved) does him no favors. But regardless, he needs an editor bad. He is extremely capable of subtle portrayal and conveyance, but does not seem to trust himself at all and always falls back on repetition and outright telling the reader what is going on rather than letting characters and events speak for themselves.

Look like, its one thing to have criticisms with the writing and like, hell I think a lot of these are valid.
But like, skipping material is a worst sin then listening to comedy podcasts at 1.5 speed.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
After chapter 2 of higurashi, here's what I think happened:

Shion heard about Mion being unhappy about the doll incident from Rena. This makes her figure that Mion is weak and sees an opportunity to take her out (thus "Mion"'s dialogue at the end of the chapter about the doll being the catalyst for all this)

So she gets Takano's help (whoever Takano actually is) and sets up the whole scheme with torture house to create a context to kill herself (Takano's death is faked this time for whatever reason, maybe part of her deal with Shion). But Shion's actual plan is to kill Mion by taking her place and making Mion's death look like an accident. Then her plan is to turn back into being Shion by knocking Keiichi out and heading into the cell. Mion is already dead at this point and the begging that Keiichi is hearing is probably just Shion doing both voices. It's actually hard to tell when exactly Mion dies, the timelines get confusing at the end of the chapter. (Mion may actually already be dead as early as when Keiichi finds Rika crying behind the school.)

Rika's aware of what's going on because she and the mayor know something about the Mion/Shion relationship and they probably were not interested in killing anyone for the warehouse incident because it's not a real threat to the town (Shion is the dog who would get herself hurt). Rika knows Shion is out of control and goes to stop her but fails (possibly even because Keiichi tells Shion that Rika knows everything).

There were a lot of hints to Mion not being Mion during the scene at the Sonozaki estate. Her offering to show a back tattoo (which she doesn't have) and Rena stopping her is sort of a big clue for me to both the body swap as well as Rena being an accomplice.

As for who kills Shion it could be anyone who figured out her plan. There's only one witness so if the Sonozakis figure the crime out they could have just thrown her off the balcony themselves.

The bigger picture is that the previous years of crimes implicate the entire town but the fifth year was (mostly) just Shion in episode 2. It's why years 1-4 are "perfect crimes" and year 5 is a mess (just like it was in episode 1).

The big question at the end ofc is who stabs Keiichi? At that point everyone is dead besides Rena. Rena may have been in it because of what happened in previous years - she was very upset when Keiichi brought up the crimes of previous years in ep 1 and was taking the opportunity to clean up the person who might have seen something that would disprove the "Mion did it all" theory for the crimes which exonerate everyone else for all the other crimes. So basically Shion sort of does everything but it's ultimately all Rena's plan to bury the past.

Things that don't satisfy me about this explanation:
What is Tomitake and Takano's relationship? Still lots of questions around Tomitake dying both years and the fact that he's around so much.
What was Oishi's role in the past?
Was Satoko's death that straightforward? I'm basically assuming that Rena's explanation is accurate, but its hard to believe it's that simple.
If Rena is willing to kill everyone to hide the past, what could she be hiding?
Is it just a coincidence that Rika/the mayor took the big locks off of the warehouse, or was this somehow something she wanted to happen?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 2, 2019

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Keep up the speculation for future chapters! Its enjoyable to read and compare with my own thoughts at the time. Its interesting how some people notice certain things, and other people notice different things. I can't say more without spoilers of course.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Just got to the point in Umineko chapter 3 where Beatrice just "died."

She did use airquotes when she said that though. And in red text she said "it" died. Why is she using "it?" Referring to the flesh? And why the air quotes around died?

On a completely separate note, I was surprised to hear them explain contrapositives. Maybe I should use non-spoilery Umineko examples the next time I lecture for a discrete math class.

Edit: Kumasawa is the old Beatrice? As in Beatrice's mentor? What? Has this been foreshadowed? :psyduck:

Edit 2: War towers? This really is a shonen battle VN, isn't it?

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 2, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Hig 3:

ok I wasn't expecting EVERYONE to die.

Up until the very end parts of it seemed pretty straightforward - Keiichi kills uncle Houjou, everyone covers for him, he has a stupid response to this.

Even Satoko's bathtub incident is easy (she was setting up a time of disappearance for her uncle/evidence of abuse), the doctor's suicide is a little more complicated (it probably ties to how the murder/disappearance works - when a murder happens it gets covered up but someone has to get punished for it so he was trying to get Keiichi to stfu while he dug the body up and made it disappear), but then Oishi dying as well was a total curveball, and then Rika getting Sonozaki'd and the gas exploding was totally out of nowhere. (I guess that's what was meant by the chapter being unfair)

I think there's a pattern of murders getting covered up, but then someone from the town has to get punished. This chapter didn't give me as much go off of as part 2.

I do wonder if Mion's zombie hand strangling Keiichi at the end of part 2 is meant to be the gas that suffocates everyone at the end of part 3.

I should really think more about this one before starting 4 but idk if i want to wait.

EDIT: (part 4 first two minutes spoilers) Assuming that the gas explosion isn't something that always happened, given that Oishi survives in the 1985 scenario, it sounds like there's something that happend in 3 that led to it. The only things I can think of are either dredging or not dredging the swamp. The opening of part 3 involves a sewer blocked by a dead body and when the old man mixes the stuck drain with a stick the woman tells him that mixing it makes it smell worse which could be a hint about the gas buildup. So on June 22nd, was there a dredging attempt to find a missing person?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 3, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Those posts back to back are making me realize that I think for both Umineko and Higurashi's first halves my favorite chapters are the third ones; both Tatarigoroshi and Banquet are bangers. Heck I'd probably also say my least favorite ones are the same (Watanagashi and Turn).

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Uminkeo Chapter 3 where Battler just spoke with Virgilia

Okay, so long as I can take all of the deliberate magic stuff (and anything outside of Battler's perspective) as just Beatrice's claim, things fall into explainable territory. Not that I can explain any of the previous chapter's murders or anything, but its a start.

Edit: OK, now the closed room chain is being explained. Current possibilities so far not accounted for by red text
  • Case 1: There are more than 1 individual room keys
  • Case 2: One (or more) of the dead killed the others, placed the symbol on all the doors, entered their room, and then committed suicide. Easiest for Kinzo.
  • Case 3: One or more of the rooms aren't a closed room.
  • Case 4: At least one of the rooms was rigged with a trap that would kill them when they entered
  • Case 5: One of them isn't actually dead.

Edit: Okay, case 5 is out
Edit 2: Case 4 is out
Edit 3: Case 2 is out, but given the phrasing, I have a new case:

Case 6: One (or more) of the dead killed the others, placed the symbol on all the doors, entered their room, and then died on accident.

Edit 4: Seems like me and Battler were on the same wavelength. Was Beatrice about to say in red text that none of them died on accident? Then what kind of deaths are involved other than homicide, suicide, and an accident?

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 3, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
re: your chapter 3 stuff about Virgilia (this may be mildly spoilerly)

Because the game was released in chapters several months apart, I believe that long segment where Battler spoke with Virgilia was partially in response to feedback/confusion about the explicitly "magical" scenes in Ch2, which is why Battler doesn't seem to mind that Kanon is suddenly fighting goatmen with an anime laser sword, but freaks out over the witch fight.

so yeah, basically if Gohda (just as an example) dies "offscreen", Beatrice can say "and Gohda was killed by a witch", but she can't say "and Battler saw Gohda being killed by a witch". Thinking about why this is, why the "fake" scenes are there in the first place, and extrapolating from that is a really important key to interpreting the story

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nate RFB posted:

Those posts back to back are making me realize that I think for both Umineko and Higurashi's first halves my favorite chapters are the third ones; both Tatarigoroshi and Banquet are bangers. Heck I'd probably also say my least favorite ones are the same (Watanagashi and Turn).

Higurashi Ch3 is the first one that clicks from start-to-finish imo, I'm also a big fan of Ch4, though that's a somewhat unusual chapter.

I think the biggest improvement in Higurashi Ch3 compared to the first two is that it's the first one where the "hijinks" early scenes have relevance beyond just introducing and getting you to like the characters. This is definitely something he got better on as his writing went on- Umineko Ch1 is slow, but the early chapters are definitely at least doing relevant scene-setting, and I had almost no complaints about the pacing of the early Ciconia scenes.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 3, 2019

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Stuff by key is pretty solid, right? Thinking of grabbing planetarian. Also, could I get thoughts on some of the vns on switch? Stuff like death mark, world end syndrome, and the like? I’ve already got steins;gate, yu-no, and Clannad.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

numerrik posted:

Stuff by key is pretty solid, right? Thinking of grabbing planetarian. Also, could I get thoughts on some of the vns on switch? Stuff like death mark, world end syndrome, and the like? I’ve already got steins;gate, yu-no, and Clannad.

Key is solid but occasionally over done. Planeterian was good but maybe cut down a slight bit. Clannad is dense. I’ve only ever seen Kanon TV and never finished Air.

Grisaia trilogy is coming later this month if you’re interested in that.

I almost got World End Syndrome but a review mentioned one of the characters constantly accusing people of sexual harassment and the MC talking about boobs a whole lot.

VA-11HA-1A or however is good. Some odd moments like an Android staying in a child’s body type so she can make money off perverts but it’s mostly harmless.

That’s the only ones I can think of.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MegaZeroX posted:

Edit 4: Seems like me and Battler were on the same wavelength. Was Beatrice about to say in red text that none of them died on accident? Then what kind of deaths are involved other than homicide, suicide, and an accident?

This part is interesting because it's probably (vague comments that could be interpreted as somewhat spoilery) the single time when Battler comes closest to figuring things out during episodes 1-4. If allowed to say the red text that Ronove stopped her from saying, it would have basically left Battler with no option other than understanding the reality of Beatrice (and despite being dense, Battler is actually a pretty smart guy when it comes to logic, as long as he isn't being lead astray by his emotions).

One thing I think is okay to say outside of spoilers is to encourage you to not get too tied up with trying to logically deduce stuff from lists of red text statements. A lot of people fell into this trap, to the extent that they would literally create giant lists of red text and treat them like a logic puzzle. The red text is a helpful tool, but it's virtually impossible to arrive at any decent understanding of things if you just ignore everything that isn't in red.

numerrik posted:

My opinion on Key stuff is kind of unusual in that literally the only Key thing I've ever enjoyed was Rewrite, and that's because it did stuff other than romance/drama. The other stuff is generally too melodramatic to the point of being downright emotionally manipulative (haven't read Little Busters though so don't know if that's an exception). Rewrite is undeniably deeply flawed, but it's a pretty wild ride and the first half has some good humor and the action isn't half-bad. The heroine routes having different authors actually ends up being kind of interesting in practice, even if some are kind of bizarre. It was obviously "over-ambitious" in some ways, but the end result is that it's more entertaining and interesting than most VNs (including other Key stuff IMO).

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Ytlaya posted:

My opinion on Key stuff is kind of unusual in that literally the only Key thing I've ever enjoyed was Rewrite, and that's because it did stuff other than romance/drama. The other stuff is generally too melodramatic to the point of being downright emotionally manipulative (haven't read Little Busters though so don't know if that's an exception). Rewrite is undeniably deeply flawed, but it's a pretty wild ride and the first half has some good humor and the action isn't half-bad. The heroine routes having different authors actually ends up being kind of interesting in practice, even if some are kind of bizarre. It was obviously "over-ambitious" in some ways, but the end result is that it's more entertaining and interesting than most VNs (including other Key stuff IMO).

Little Busters was great. Part of the cool thing with it was how it handled the main concept. So every end you get to, your base stats increase, some of the dialogues change, etc. So by the end, the baseball game at the end of Common route is a lot more manageable, because your stats have been spiked pretty hard.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

numerrik posted:

If you like Clannad then I think you'd like Planetarian. Just note that it's very short (<10 hrs even if you are listening to the full voice lines) and it's a linear/kinetic novel (no choices/just one route).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

re: your chapter 3 stuff about Virgilia (this may be mildly spoilerly)

Because the game was released in chapters several months apart, I believe that long segment where Battler spoke with Virgilia was partially in response to feedback/confusion about the explicitly "magical" scenes in Ch2, which is why Battler doesn't seem to mind that Kanon is suddenly fighting goatmen with an anime laser sword, but freaks out over the witch fight.

so yeah, basically if Gohda (just as an example) dies "offscreen", Beatrice can say "and Gohda was killed by a witch", but she can't say "and Battler saw Gohda being killed by a witch". Thinking about why this is, why the "fake" scenes are there in the first place, and extrapolating from that is a really important key to interpreting the story

This is true - episode 3 was originally going to be a third message bottle, "Land of the Golden Witch", and was completely different. I believe Claire(?) refers to one of her stories being lost later. It was changed to Banquet because R07 saw that people on the forums were already confused about the basic mechanics of the story. Some stuff from later episodes like the love duel were originally meant to be in Land.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Continuing on in Umineko chapter 3 where they are starting to talk about the epitaph

My current theory is that the river is a river of time. The "village" is the old mansion Beatrice lived in. The "two" are Rosa and Kinzo. And the "shore" is where Beatrice died.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like it is a Japanese only hint I won't be able to understand. :shrug:

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 4, 2019

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Irritated Goat posted:

I almost got World End Syndrome but a review mentioned one of the characters constantly accusing people of sexual harassment and the MC talking about boobs a whole lot.

I read that review too, and that’s why I didn’t get it, but I haven’t heard it brought up anywhere else, which made me wonder how bad it got.

E: just read a few reviews, yeah, they all mention it, and it seems like it’s not worth the effort of reading the weird perv stuff to get to the actual interesting bits.

numerrik fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 4, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

numerrik posted:

Raging Loop is a great horror/mystery VN on Switch

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

what's the best way to read hig 8 now?

I'm through 7 and there's a lot I like about it over Umineko. Buuuuut Umineko has a lot more adults and my favorite parts of the ryukijis I've read so far have been the adults (Oishi, Eva U, Natsuhi, Cicokonogi, etc).

Hard to pick a favorite Hig so far. I loved ep 1 and Rena's narration in ep 6.

Lingering question: was Rena never actually scary outside of 6 (ie, its something H disease sufferers project onto her because she's so honest)? Or was she actually a little cracked herself in 1/2/5 because she kills Rina in those timelines?

My favorite moment is still the twin reveal in episode 2. It is so good. Keiichi finally showing up in ep 5 was really good too (and shion's reaction to his hand never got old)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 8, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know where you would go to look forward at this point but the original Matsuribayashi release by MangaGamer is absolutely floating out there in the internet ether in some form or another, with all of the warts you can probably expect with that older translation/format.

(Higurashi Chapters 1-6) Tsumihoroboshi is the only chapter across those first six where Rena kills someone. She's a good friend!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh... I'd taken Teppei's arrival in Hinomizawa being a rare occurrence (according to Rika) to mean that Rina usually doesnt die so by default she ends up badger gaming Rena's dad (as Rina is the reason Teppei isnt in Hinomizawa).

i wonder what happens w/ Rina and divorce dad in those other timelines.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

No Wave posted:

Oh... I'd taken Teppei's arrival in Hinomizawa being a rare occurrence (according to Rika) to mean that Rina usually doesnt die so by default she ends up badger gaming Rena's dad (as Rina is the reason Teppei isnt in Hinomizawa).

i wonder what happens w/ Rina and divorce dad in those other timelines.

Well... As I recall, her death in 3 at the hands of Sonozaki Family is Teppei's big reason for running back to Hinamizawa. So that likely happens in a few of the other episodes as well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

3 and 7 explicitly show Rina's demise (dead or about to be dead - it's how 3 opens and there's a TIPS in 7) and those are the two teppei chapters. so I was assuming that Rina is around in the other chapters and is part of the reason Rena doesnt want people to visit her house ever.

I'm willing to believe that Rena doesnt secretly kill rina and teppei in the other timelines. But i'm not happy about it!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 8, 2019

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

No Wave posted:

what's the best way to read hig 8 now?

I'm through 7 and there's a lot I like about it over Umineko. Buuuuut Umineko has a lot more adults and my favorite parts of the ryukijis I've read so far have been the adults (Oishi, Eva U, Natsuhi, Cicokonogi, etc).

Hard to pick a favorite Hig so far. I loved ep 1 and Rena's narration in ep 6.

Lingering question: was Rena never actually scary outside of 6 (ie, its something H disease sufferers project onto her because she's so honest)? Or was she actually a little cracked herself in 1/2/5 because she kills Rina in those timelines?

My favorite moment is still the twin reveal in episode 2. It is so good. Keiichi finally showing up in ep 5 was really good too (and shion's reaction to his hand never got old)

In chapter 1, all of the creepy stuff involving Rena is Keiichi misinterpreting it. If you remove the creepy look and the voice actor's inflection of it, most of it isn't strange at all. Rena gives snacks with Mion because she is worried about him. She is unhappy when he lies about what he is doing. When Keiichi is attacked by the Mountain Dogs and is found unconscious she brings him to his house and calls "the manager" which you can realize from later chapters is Irie, so she was just calling a doctor to check him out.

The only things that are off the hook that she does arewhen Oyashiro-sama's curse is involved. She suffered a mental breakdown which was compounded with Hinamizawa Syndrome, where she developed a strong belief that she was cursed by Oyashiro-sama and only saved by moving back. So she will rant about Oyashiro-sama and his curse if it is brought up, but never does more than that. You see this in chapters 1 and 3. Of course, 1 is distorted by Keiichi.

I don't remember Rena acting off in chapters 2 and 5? She is just reliable there. When Rika disappears she berates him for not telling his parents they were leaving since she wanted to plan for the event both of them disappeared. She supports Keiichi when he confronts Shion. What did you think was off about chapter 2 and 5? I remember your original speculation had Rena in league with Shion, which I found amusing, but Rena did nothing wrong in the chapter.

The only thing I can't explain easily is the time where she was supposedly watching Keiichi from behind his door. Was this a thing where Keiichi's dad saw Hanyu or something for a short time? If it really was Rena, that wouldn't be OK obviously.

My favorite moment was the friendship moment in chapter 6. Its an anime trope but is done SO WELL here. Chapter 6 in general is just amazing. Of course, chapter 7 and 3 are also some of my favorites.

And yeah, chapter 8 old translation files are certainly floating out there somewhere.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Umineko chapter 3 after Rosa and Maria are killed:

So, I'm coming to believe that perhaps the witches represent who is responsible for the killings. So, maybe one person was responsible for all the killings in chapter 1 and 2, and that same person killed the first 6 people in chapter 3, but Hideyoshi killed Maria/Rosa.

My theory to how it is possible here is that Hideyoshi was told by Eva, and he proceeded to kill Rosa, and Maria as well since she was there. He did all of this while Eva was asleep, so she wouldn't know. So Eva here is the witch representing Hideyoshi.

As for the character represented by Beatrice, I would believe it is Kinzo. Maybe he didn't really die in chapter 1, and that was just a fake body or something, and he accidentally burned himself alive this chapter.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

MegaZeroX posted:

In chapter 1, all of the creepy stuff involving Rena is Keiichi misinterpreting it. If you remove the creepy look and the voice actor's inflection of it, most of it isn't strange at all. Rena gives snacks with Mion because she is worried about him. She is unhappy when he lies about what he is doing. When Keiichi is attacked by the Mountain Dogs and is found unconscious she brings him to his house and calls "the manager" which you can realize from later chapters is Irie, so she was just calling a doctor to check him out.

The only things that are off the hook that she does arewhen Oyashiro-sama's curse is involved. She suffered a mental breakdown which was compounded with Hinamizawa Syndrome, where she developed a strong belief that she was cursed by Oyashiro-sama and only saved by moving back. So she will rant about Oyashiro-sama and his curse if it is brought up, but never does more than that. You see this in chapters 1 and 3. Of course, 1 is distorted by Keiichi.

I don't remember Rena acting off in chapters 2 and 5? She is just reliable there. When Rika disappears she berates him for not telling his parents they were leaving since she wanted to plan for the event both of them disappeared. She supports Keiichi when he confronts Shion. What did you think was off about chapter 2 and 5? I remember your original speculation had Rena in league with Shion, which I found amusing, but Rena did nothing wrong in the chapter.

The only thing I can't explain easily is the time where she was supposedly watching Keiichi from behind his door. Was this a thing where Keiichi's dad saw Hanyu or something for a short time? If it really was Rena, that wouldn't be OK obviously.

My favorite moment was the friendship moment in chapter 6. Its an anime trope but is done SO WELL here. Chapter 6 in general is just amazing. Of course, chapter 7 and 3 are also some of my favorites.

And yeah, chapter 8 old translation files are certainly floating out there somewhere.
6 is probably my favorite chapter as well (Rena's obviously my favorite of the main characters)

I'd have to re-read 2 and 5. I'm obviously being influenced by a.) my suspicion of Rena during my reading of 2 and b.) Shion's abject fear of Rena and calling her a demon during 5 (also hilarious).

5 is interesting insofar as I don't think Shion actually had outright delusions the way Keiichi completely fabricated things like the syringe (after picking it up and handling it....) and Rena made up the maggots. It's like Shion was at stage 3 up until her suicide whereas Keiichi was at 5 and Rena was at like 4.9.

My only "prediction" for 8 is that the queen theory is a fabrication but that's already proven by the post-game of 2 and 5 (where Rena and many others are still alive in 2004)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 9, 2019

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Umineko chapter 3 during final Eva-Beatrice confrontation before the start

Predictions for events of chapter:

Certainly Eva or Hideyoshi could have killed Rosa/Maria. Motive for Rosa is obviously to silence her, while Maria just happens to be nearyby. Kyrie figured out the riddle, and got Rudolf to go with her. Eva told Hideyoshi to follow anyone that left the guesthouse to see if they figured out the riddle and kill them. Fighting breaks out between them, which causes deaths (all gunshots). Perhaps Eva even snuck out to kill survivors. George fled out the window, and then Eva locked it. She was able to kill Natsuhi and Krauss were killed by her through strangulation. This was because they were seemingly about to figure out the riddle as well. Somehow one of them split off momentarily and she strangled them one after the other.

I have no idea why she would kill George though. Maybe something to do with his relationship with Shannon, shock, and having already killed so many people already. She tried to kill Jessica (since she had little control at this point), and shot Nanjo after they split off.

Edit: With this final red text of Nanjo's death, I'm not sure what explanation is left? Suicide or accident? But it was a gunshot or spear for the cause of death. He didn't seem to have a gun. And I don't know how one could impale your own head with spear...

Edit 2: And now it is a direct murder in red. I got nothin'.

Edit 3: Maybe a character that was believed dead wasn't dead, killed them, then killed themselves, making the characters being dead statement not a lie?

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 9, 2019

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Okay, finished chapter 3. Current thoughts:

I think the truth that Beatrice spoke in red was "you can lie in red," which defeats the arguments there, and also explains why Ronove stopped her from saying "it was not an accident" in red. This would give outs for any of the murders in chapters 2 and 3, although chapter 1 is still baffling.

I had realized pretty quickly that the girl there was Angie, but how is this going to play out next chapter? Will we have a 6 year old Angie edition? Will she have the mind of an 18 year old Angie? Will some shenanigans make her 18 and there at the time? Will she be investigating from the future?

What is the deal with the numbers? Is it a date? Is it an easter egg to use on the tips screen somehow? A code for the epitaph that only makes sense in Japanese?

Eva is not behind all of the murders in all chapters, so who could have done it there?

I think this chapter was my favorite so far. The music is also getting really good.

Looking forward to read chapter 4.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Everything the boss did, she did for you.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Re. AI Somnium, was pewter’s betrayal just bc he was Renju’s lover?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Re. AI Somnium, was pewter’s betrayal just bc he was Renju’s lover?

That's the only reason he gives you, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Grisaia games? The trilogy just dropped on switch but I’m only seeing reviews for two of them.