Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BlpONgj74A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i've been rather ignorant to how different displays work, but i watched this last night and blew my mind. the explanations seem pretty legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4WFOmBzHVg

i knew crt's have an "electron gun", but i didn't know the directionality of the elections itself were controlled with electromagnets. makes sense, and the most accurate way of doing it, without any moving parts

how LCD monitors work are really interesting too. it's all amazing engineering no one really seems to think about, even though it's part of just about everyone's lives, every day

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 30, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, you wouldn't believe how small the levers need to be to direct the electrons mechanically

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

3 phase electricity from power plants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oRT7PoXSS0

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Oh God this brings me back to Circuits 2 class in school. I recall being good at solving those problems, but never understood wtf I was doing.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Janitor Prime posted:

Oh God this brings me back to Circuits 2 class in school. I recall being good at solving those problems, but never understood wtf I was doing.

up until now, i had no idea that electricity from plants output in 3 phases, and that homes typically use one, or that power plants were designed that way. i still don't even understand the fundamentals of how electricity is created, stored or transferred. i know how it can happen with magnets, but i still don't know on the atomic level. every video i find about it seems to be about power plants turning turbines with hot water, and that's it

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
lol watch this video it literally covers how the magnet rotating generates electricity

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Janitor Prime posted:

lol watch this video it literally covers how the magnet rotating generates electricity

so i guess just because electrons are moving back and forth that is electricity? could I build something on a smaller scale by having loop of copy wire with the coils and a spinning magnet to generate electrical current?

how does it relate to light or other electric magnetic waves, and how does it separate with magnets and electricity?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Good Sphere posted:

so i guess just because electrons are moving back and forth that is electricity? could I build something on a smaller scale by having loop of copy wire with the coils and a spinning magnet to generate electrical current?

how does it relate to light or other electric magnetic waves, and how does it separate with magnets and electricity?

might i recommend enrolling in physics ii: electricity and magnetism at your local community college, op?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just get a used copy of Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov it will be 10x more interesting and 100x more complete than anything the forums will produce.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Salt Fish posted:

Just get a used copy of Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov it will be 10x more interesting and 100x more complete than anything the forums will produce.

thanks i’ll look into that

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Good Sphere posted:

could I build something on a smaller scale by having loop of copy wire with the coils and a spinning magnet to generate electrical current?

Did you not literally do this exact experiment in like 4th or 5th grade Science?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Good Sphere posted:

a changing magnetic field in a coil of a conductor will generate electricity.

a coil carrying current will generate a magnetic field in the loop

they are directly related

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Schadenboner posted:

Did you not literally do this exact experiment in like 4th or 5th grade Science?

i wish. we played around with magnets, but not why it actually happens fundamentally

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

a changing magnetic field in a coil of a conductor will generate electricity.

a coil carrying current will generate a magnetic field in the loop

they are directly related

that's cool. up until now, i didn't give it much thought; as if lightning was somehow pushed through a wire into your house

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
to get my CS degree my school made me take both mechanical and electromagnetic physics courses.

glad i did.

in the end, you're probably going to be surprised that stuff like hydro, coal, and nuclear power all generate it the same way. hydro takes the movement of water to rotate a turbine, coal and nuclear both just generate steam to rotate a turbine. there's nothing magical about it, really.

it's all very physical, actually.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

good sphere is about one week away from inventing a perpetual motion device

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really “like” electromagnetism.. like.. really like it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

good sphere is about one week away from inventing a perpetual motion device

:ohdear:

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

to get my CS degree my school made me take both mechanical and electromagnetic physics courses.

glad i did.

i have a very useless audio production associates degree. the closest i got was a class to build a preamp, and an acoustics course. the acoustics course was probably the most technical, in depth class with all the physics behind sound. since then, i haven't used it, so i forgot basically all of it

i didn't get into programming until someone taught me web and backend stuff 12+ years ago when i was out of work. i taught myself a lot of math along the way when experimenting with different languages, which i had no idea that i'd ever be fascinated with it (math or coding). lately i've been catching up on all the science-y stuff

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

in the end, you're probably going to be surprised that stuff like hydro, coal, and nuclear power all generate it the same way. hydro takes the movement of water to rotate a turbine, coal and nuclear both just generate steam to rotate a turbine. there's nothing magical about it, really.

yeah that's interesting. i knew for a while now that almost all of them use heated or flowing water to turn a turbine, but not exactly how that generates electricity

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i love the kind of stuff good sphere is talking about.

like I super love physics on a pop culture level. as opposed to gaining insight through tireless mathematics, I prefer to read a great analogy spoken by a person with a galaxy brain vocabulary

brian greene’s books are some of the most awe inspiring and interesting things i’ve ever read. I think one of them was made into a show but I doubt the show covers the same amount of ground

but his books really do delve into the physics in a way I think good sphere would really appreciate. it was a pure fluke that a woman physics student who was just a customer in the pharmacy who i was flirting with recommended them to me, they’re probably the most interesting books I’ve ever read

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

glad i did.

lol my bs cs (top 10) didn't even make me take the additional math courses that would have been prerequisites for those physics courses

i haven't been in a physics class since high school

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Good Sphere posted:

i wish. we played around with magnets, but not why it actually happens fundamentally

that's cool. up until now, i didn't give it much thought; as if lightning was somehow pushed through a wire into your house

did they explain how the gently caress they work?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we know how to generate electricity, we know how to consume it, how to regulate and control it

but we still don't know what it is

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

It's the friends we made along the way, Jonny

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

we know how to generate electricity, we know how to consume it, how to regulate and control it

according to rabbinical law it's fire. what more do you need to know?

(shrugs in yiddish)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
what is energy? we just don't know

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

don’t we? I was pretty sure we knew it was basically the electromagnetic field attempting to even out..

like what does it mean to say we don’t know what it is? it’s a label for an interaction of one of the fundamental forces 🤔 what am I missing?

I guess you could argue that despite understanding it in depth on a number of levels, that doesn’t mean we know what it is.. but then the same could be said about anything in the field of fundamental physics right??

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We know what it is, it's electrons moving between atoms.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

echinopsis posted:

don’t we? I was pretty sure we knew it was basically the electromagnetic field attempting to even out..

like what does it mean to say we don’t know what it is? it’s a label for an interaction of one of the fundamental forces 🤔 what am I missing?

I guess you could argue that despite understanding it in depth on a number of levels, that doesn’t mean we know what it is.. but then the same could be said about anything in the field of fundamental physics right??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36GT2zI8lVA

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

Right but all we know is that when you pass a magnetic field over a conductor, it triggers electron migration. we don't know why. it's an electron, it shouldn't give a gently caress about a magnetic field

hell, for 100+ years we have had electrical polarity backwards. the negative terminal/ground of your car is actually the supply of electrons. positive voltage is defined by 'holes' that are thirsty for electrons. Every single wire you've ever hooked up with a positive voltage is actually a miniature electron vacuum cleaner.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

neg my poz hole

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

Right but all we know is that when you pass a magnetic field over a conductor, it triggers electron migration. we don't know why. it's an electron, it shouldn't give a gently caress about a magnetic field

hell, for 100+ years we have had electrical polarity backwards. the negative terminal/ground of your car is actually the supply of electrons. positive voltage is defined by 'holes' that are thirsty for electrons. Every single wire you've ever hooked up with a positive voltage is actually a miniature electron vacuum cleaner.

so why don’t know “why” electric fields and magnetic fields are fundamentally linked..

I mean I follow you but it’s a bit like going down a rabbit hole of particle physics and saying we don’t know “why” things act as they do.. I don’t think it’s possible to answer.. 🤷‍♂️

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm not saying that it's knowable, just that it's unknown

we're on the same page

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

isnt magnetism just what you get when you add special relativity to electricity? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_electromagnetism

quote:

An observer at rest with respect to a system of static, free charges will see no magnetic field. However, a moving observer looking at the same set of charges does perceive a current, and thus a magnetic field. That is, the magnetic field is simply the electric field, as seen in a moving coordinate system.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
walking towards the outlet which I can sense its current given my movement, but I stop to plug in: what the gently caress, where’d the magnetic field go??

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i saw something else weird; an experiment with an electron gun. the electrons were shot on both sides of a pole with an electromagnet that wasn't turned on, which still made a different fringe pattern if the pole wasn't there at all. even though the electromagnet that was turned off still had a very subtle electric field, it wouldn't have affected the fringe pattern that much. so they found out that a field still exists that could potentially still be there? i dunno i don't really get it, but it's still cool

edit: this is the video in question. just a fair warning, this guy will probably be considered to most as annoying af, and videos for children, but to me he covers a lot of fascinating topics and it pretty thorough without all the math and complexities. he also does really weird gestures with his hands. he's like a humanized cartoon. also i haven't been able to watch it again as a refresher, and my explanation was probably very lovely and/or wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a70Bmkza7XA

echinopsis posted:

i love the kind of stuff good sphere is talking about.

like I super love physics on a pop culture level. as opposed to gaining insight through tireless mathematics, I prefer to read a great analogy spoken by a person with a galaxy brain vocabulary

brian greene’s books are some of the most awe inspiring and interesting things i’ve ever read. I think one of them was made into a show but I doubt the show covers the same amount of ground

but his books really do delve into the physics in a way I think good sphere would really appreciate. it was a pure fluke that a woman physics student who was just a customer in the pharmacy who i was flirting with recommended them to me, they’re probably the most interesting books I’ve ever read

okay so more asimov and brain greene; thanks. i heard of the book "Elegant Universe", but the title is considered misleading or something?

Vomik posted:

did they explain how the gently caress they work?

haha no

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 4, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Good Sphere posted:

okay so more asimov and brain greene; thanks. i heard of the book "Elegant Universe", but the title is considered misleading or something?

idk about the title being misleading but.. welp

the other book I found super interesting was a feynmann one where he’s discussing using this clock metaphor system how to add up potentials of photons over different potential paths to find out what which paths a photo would take are more likely and for standard situations it’s as you predict but why making diffraction grates can make all sorts of unusual effects and seem to make photons bounce through what would classically be considered impossible paths

it wasn’t his lectures it was a book he wrote

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
if you want to get back on the physics train ]these books were recommended in the pseudoscience thread. i'm working through the problem sets pretty slowly but everything is understandable up to the final few chapters. it's amazing how many years of physics classes you can condense if you assume your audience knows calculus already. I can tell immediately where my calculus experience drops off at pdes too.

you can probably just do the online coursework style ones too ymmv

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've been watching this series of 1950s lectures on aerodynamics called "the secret of flight." it's really cool stuff. everything is done with physical models and smoke tunnels and it's immediately clear what is going on. the lecturer is a weird old german guy but he's very good at explaining what's happening. i think for the first time i genuinely understand how lift is formed -- not just the high school "air travels faster on the upper surface" but also why the air goes faster and all the phenomena that that entails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1oCDR3DBbo

favorite bit so far: a brief film is shown depicting an experimental nazi rocket plane taking off and the host says "now this is the 163A, which i designed in 1938" because he is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Lippisch

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Jonny 290 posted:

this hosed my head up when I first learned it. it’s also my excuse for struggling with understanding transistors and having to check what VCC, VDD etc are whenever I encounter them.