Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

garycoleisgod posted:

I think the problem with Pacific Rim can be summed up as "Charlie Hunnam".

People dunk on actors like Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney but this dude is far worse. Movie had Idris Elba but we waste screentime on this soggy piece of cardboard.

I'm wondering if it was like a YA novel thing, where the protagonist is very bland to make it easy for the audience to project themselves onto them.

Hunnam is pretty decent in The Lost City of Z, although that is a case where the movie kind of makes use of his blankness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

garycoleisgod posted:

I think the problem with Pacific Rim can be summed up as "Charlie Hunnam".

People dunk on actors like Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney but this dude is far worse. Movie had Idris Elba but we waste screentime on this soggy piece of cardboard.

I'm wondering if it was like a YA novel thing, where the protagonist is very bland to make it easy for the audience to project themselves onto them.

Considering how much it borrowed from the Getter Robo franchise, they really should've just made the main guy Ryoma

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Man I loved Alien Covenant, even more than Prometheus which I thought was very flawed. There's a nastiness and pessimism to Ridley Scott's sci-fi that I don't think many contemporary directors really have anymore.

There's not a lot of mainstream directors making films with the message 'the universe is cruel and random because god hates you, specifically'

It's kind of bold.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I liked Captain Marvel. After Wonder Woman and Lady Ghostbusters I was surprised to see a big budget blockbuster that marketed itself as "this is an important movie for women! come see it to trigger the CHUDs!" actually have a kinda feminist message.

The message was fine and not really something that I am complaining about, they just needed her not to show up before Avengers Endgame.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A good three quarters of her maybe 12 lines were some variation of "I am very strong and cool and I hope you like me"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Captain Marvel honestly kinda offended me. I really don't like it when a character has to be flawless because she has to represent me by virtue of being a woman. I don't like being told I can only be represented by the idealisation of a woman because Hollywood still struggles to write women as people. I don't like being told the things that make her good and strong are her traditionally masculine attributes.

I watched Jojo Rabbit last week and I really identified with Rosie. She was protective, hopeful, kind, frustrated, opinionated and used humor as distraction, defense, and as a coping mechanism. It was easy to understand her because I could empathize with her struggles and rationalize why she did what she did, even if I didn't always agree with her.

What the gently caress am I supposed to connect with Carol on? Because one time a guy questioned my capacity because of my sex? Good thing I'm just better than him at it, I guess, because then I might actually have a little internal conflict brewing there and I AM WOMAN. I AM CORRECT IN ALL I DO. I BLAST THE SMALL WEENY BOYS WITH MY GODDESS BEAMS BECAUSE I AM RELATABLE PERFECTION.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

My list of movies released in the past decade that I feel can safely be added to any worst movies of all time list:

The Last Airbender - All the movies on my list are baffling in some way or another, but M. Night Shyamalan's effort here may take the cake on having the strangest decisions. I'm not convinced that anyone ever screened this movie before releasing it into theaters. A young, inexperienced cast has to do pretty much all of the heavy lifting to move the plot along, and surprise, they cant. The visuals are farcical. You can't make a spoof of this movie because it's already a parody of itself.

A Nightmare on Elm Street - I feel like it might be a little unfair of me to include this movie because I didn't watch all of it. I came away from the first 30 minutes of the movie angry that the movie had wasted my time to that point. After fast-forwarding hoping to at least find some interesting kills, and not even finding that, I gave up. I think there is little chance that I had watched the whole thing that this remake wouldn't make my list on merit.

Geostorm - Roland Emmerich's long-time penman Dean Devlin finally got the nod to sit in the director's chair himself, and the result is a lovely knock-off of a Roland Emmerich disaster movie. Do you remember people running from the cold in The Day After Tomorrow? Well that makes a return here. The sad thing is, as near as I can tell Devlin had no role in the production of that movie, so he can't even claim it's some kind of trademark of his, like John Woo and his doves. Nah it's just a lovely, stupid scene ripped off from a lovely, stupid scene in another lovely, stupid movie.

The Wandering Earth - Proving that Hollywood doesn't have a monopoly on the terrible Roland Emmerich-esque movie market, China enters with this strong entry.I will say that the movie is pretty strangely compelling for the first 2/3. The tone is so dour and nihilistic, and all the characters actions were so unimportant that I was almost fooled into thinking that it might actually be a good movie. A strange movie for sure, but maybe it was presenting an interesting alternate viewpoint. The last act though quickly showed me the errors of my ways by devolving into the nonsensical and trite garbage that you would expect out of a generic disaster movie.

Serenity - I think the best way to describe this one is that it is a video game movie made by someone who doesn't play or understand video games. The plot isn't terribly difficult to understand, but the entire movie is nonetheless bewildering and unexplainable.

Special honorable mentions go to Ben-Hur and Pompeii . I remember both of these movies being terrible, but neither one was bad enough that I can remember enough specific things to include them in my list.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Das Boo posted:

Captain Marvel honestly kinda offended me. I really don't like it when a character has to be flawless because she has to represent me by virtue of being a woman. I don't like being told I can only be represented by the idealisation of a woman because Hollywood still struggles to write women as people. I don't like being told the things that make her good and strong are her traditionally masculine attributes.

I'm not gonna say that Carol Danvers is a very interesting character, but I liked at the end how she refused to be judged by male standards. Jude Law was all, "You have to beat me on my terms for it to count" and she just said gently caress that and lasered him. I thought that was a genuinely feminist moment in a genre where feminism usually just means women can punch and kick good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

General Dog posted:

If I take my lowest rated of the decade and take out the comedies (highly subjective) and the DTV dreck (feels like cheating) I end up with (in chronological order):

I'm kinda curious what your top 10 in both the comedy and DTV categories are.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm kinda curious what your top 10 in both the comedy and DTV categories are.

Well, I'm flattered you'd ask. There's a lot of overlap between the two:

Dinner for Schmucks(2010) - least favorite of the decade by a mile
The Babysitter(2017) - Profoundly stupid Netflix original comedy(?)/thriller(?)
Sausage Party(2016) - deeply unfunny and viscerally unpleasant. I would rather watch Food Fight! twice in a row than watch Sausage Party again.
Rapture-Palooza(2013) - direly unfunny direct to Redbox poo poo
Get Him to the Greek(2010) - One of my lowest rated of the decade overall, but I remember nothing about it now. Maybe that means it doesn't deserve to be on this list; I don't know.
Cold Weather(2010) - tedious Pacific Northwest mumblecore, movie just stops at the end of the second act- not sure if it's for reasons monetary or artistic but either way gently caress you
Hell Baby(2013) - direly unfunny direct to Redbox poo poo
Wheelman(2017) - Netflix original thriller, boring. Similar to the movie where Tom Hardy drives in the dark and talks on the phone about concrete the whole time, but somehow much more boring than that.
Train to Busan(2016) - Not DTV or comedy, but also not a major American release. I know a lot of people like this one, but I just found the action very repetitive and the characters very unlikable

edit: Oh poo poo, I forgot Pottersville! And Saving Christmas!

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 4, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Special shoutout to mother!, which is an objectively well-crafted movie that I hate more than most of the decade's truly bad movies.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I quite like mother! but I also I'm surprised it took 8 pages to get mentioned.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

axelblaze posted:

I quite like mother! but I also I'm surprised it took 8 pages to get mentioned.

It absolutely achieves what it sets out to do in a masterful way; it's just the rare provocative movie where I'm, you know, provoked. It's Blasphemous with a capital "B", and not in a thoughtless or frivolous manner. (They can use that as a pull quote for the anniversary blu-ray.)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Nightmare On Elm Street remake is an incredible display of bad choices at every turn.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I haven't seen it, but it seems like making Freddie explicitly a pedophile is a misstep, since Freddie has kind of come to be seen as kind of a lovable scamp over time.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

exquisite tea posted:

Man I loved Alien Covenant, even more than Prometheus which I thought was very flawed. There's a nastiness and pessimism to Ridley Scott's sci-fi that I don't think many contemporary directors really have anymore.

I really liked how the Engineer (God) and overtly religious people (Shaw and Oram) suffered gruesome deaths from evolution. David winning at the end was ballsy too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I also works really well that one of the initially extremely religious characters is snapped out of it by being forced to have an abortion (though yeah she still does not meet a pleasant end).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

tylersayten posted:

I really liked how the Engineer (God) and overtly religious people (Shaw and Oram) suffered gruesome deaths from evolution. David winning at the end was ballsy too.

I enjoyed how Prometheus completely spits in the face of the Christian belief in a knowable and just God by making our creators about as interested in communing with humans as you were trying to fry ants with a magnifying glass back in middle school. Then once David becomes aware of this, he takes the same approach with human experimentation and cruelty in Alien Covenant. And by extension, Ridley Scott has himself taken on a gleeful exuberance in violently displaying how stupid and pretentious we humans all are.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Dog posted:

If I take my lowest rated of the decade and take out the comedies (highly subjective) and the DTV dreck (feels like cheating)

See, this is part of the issue. There are these usually-unspoken premises that certain movies just don't count as movies, or are 'beyond criticism' and so-on.

Like, I'll also go with Age Of Ultron and Jurassic World as being the worst - but in the specific category of mega-budget franchise blockbusters. I can't in good conscience say that they're worse than The Night Visitor or The Ghost Footage 2.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's been a little too long since I've seen it to make a detailed argument for why it's bad, but I really hated Downsizing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tart Kitty posted:

The Nightmare On Elm Street remake is an incredible display of bad choices at every turn.

Oh god, that reminds me of another good contender; the Oldboy remake.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

General Dog posted:

It absolutely achieves what it sets out to do in a masterful way; it's just the rare provocative movie where I'm, you know, provoked.
When that thing happened in mother! I had to pause the movie and take a moment before I could continue.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

exquisite tea posted:

Has there been a sci-fi (not Marvel) film in the last two decades that's had an optimistic take on the future?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I haven't watched nearly as many movies this decade as the rest of you, but since it was already mentioned I will +1 Godzilla (assuming you were talking about the one with Bryan Cranston). I've seen a number of movies that have been mentioned in this thread but I like to think that I went into each of those with reasonable expectations, or at least an idea of what I was getting into. Godzilla was the rare exception for me because people made that movie sound dope as hell but I thought it was incredibly boring. I didn't care about any of the human characters, the kaiju scenes looked like crap, and all of the scientist dialogue sounded like it was copied straight out of South Park. There are for sure objectively worse movies to come out this decade but for whatever reason that one is still stuck in my craw after all these years.

Also thank you for reminding me that The Book of Henry exists, I remember having an intense WTF moment when I saw the trailer for that movie and them promptly forgetting about it. Might be one that I trick my wife into watching if I ever see it on a streaming service.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Chuka Umana posted:

Has there been a sci-fi (not Marvel) film in the last two decades that's had an optimistic take on the future?

Arrival?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Chuka Umana posted:

Pacific Rim.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's been a lot of dystopian sci-fi out there but even the bleakest stuff tends to end with some kind of humanist message. Children of Men, Arrival, District 9, Moon, Blade Runner 2049, Elysium, etc. Prometheus and Covenant on the other hand conclude that not only are humans too stupid to solve the problems of their own existence, they should be punished for even trying.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Chuka Umana posted:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Which I guess could've made its way in this thread by other means.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'll cape for Valerian being kind of fun, despite the lack of chemistry between the leads. It reminds me a bit of Attack of the Clones, in good and bad ways.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Pacific Rim (and Alita for that matter) are really on optimistic in the "where it ends, things seem to be getting better I guess" sense. In both those movies though Earth is hosed in a way that even if the heroes manage to win without any doubt, the world at large is still hosed in a way that will take generations to normalize in any meaningful sense.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Valerian is far from perfect but it's also far from the worst of the decade. It needed like 20 minutes trimmed off to reach it's full potential.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chuka Umana posted:

The Planet of the Apes movies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alhazred posted:

The Planet of the Apes movies.

:hmmyes:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

axelblaze posted:

Pacific Rim (and Alita for that matter) are really on optimistic in the "where it ends, things seem to be getting better I guess" sense. In both those movies though Earth is hosed in a way that even if the heroes manage to win without any doubt, the world at large is still hosed in a way that will take generations to normalize in any meaningful sense.

I can't remember if there's a significant social divide in Pacific Rim like there is in Alita. Seems like all of humanity has united in Pacific Rim to build giant gently caress-off robots in defense against a common threat. Alita's world has the proletariat oppressed by the 1% who are literally above them in a utopia.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I might be misremembering because I only saw the movie once and I also don't even like it but I thought the state we begin the movie in is the world is hosed, has been hosed for a long time and humanity is just barely hanging on and that's still true at the end it's just they can start getting back to normalcy.

I guess I'm saying I can see the optimism but it goes in the face of a lot of the lead up. There are too many factors still that are left unaddressed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

teagone posted:

I can't remember if there's a significant social divide in Pacific Rim like there is in Alita. Seems like all of humanity has united in Pacific Rim to build giant gently caress-off robots in defense against a common threat. Alita's world has the proletariat oppressed by the 1% who are literally above them in a utopia.

It's not made a huge deal, but there are hints about how lovely the world is in Pacific Rim. In the beginning when the guy is working on the wall. Like five people died at the top the previous day, so five new people get to take those jobs. I don't remember if it was like, "while, somebody's gotta do it" or a "yay, now you get the good albeit very dangerous job" but either way it's not a good situation. Plus there's the toxic effect of the Kaiju bodies, massive areas are poisoned when one gets brought down. And Ron Perlman says that going into one of the public shelters is just begging to get stabbed, so he uses a personal rich guy shelter.

The governments came together to build the Jaegers, but I think that's about it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The final scene in War is unambiguously optimistic about the future, it just takes a lot of effort to get there.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I'm not gonna say that Carol Danvers is a very interesting character, but I liked at the end how she refused to be judged by male standards. Jude Law was all, "You have to beat me on my terms for it to count" and she just said gently caress that and lasered him. I thought that was a genuinely feminist moment in a genre where feminism usually just means women can punch and kick good.

That's a pretty standard thing, where the male impulse is to beat the villain on their terms, while the woman just shoots them. It goes back, at least, to Elmore Leonard's 'Gunsights'

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember a lot of the themes of Pacific Rim being overtly Christian end times. It's ultimately a happy ending but you have to go through the apocalypse to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

The Devil Inside , Deliver us From Evil, and the Emoji Movie can all wrestle in the pit I've thrown them in for worst of the decade. The Last Exorcism part 2 is dead in there somewhere as well.