Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

univbee posted:

Results from interviews can be pretty inconsistent, some interviews are done literally just to check off a box with HR and you don't actually have a chance of being hired no matter how amazingly you do. I think this is especially true if you're not an able-bodied white male, as HR may mandate a certain number of women/visible minorities/disabled are interviewed, but even so a lot of jobs can be like "well we really want to hire this person we know but HR requires that we post the job for public applications so..."

Even in supposedly well-intentioned places like community colleges or other public entities this is true. An anecdote from my personal life is for about three months there was talk about how this one person should be bumped up from their position to a higher position but institute policy required the job be publicly posted for at least two weeks. So they went through all the time of scheduling interviews and all that, only to eventually give the job to the person we knew months in advance was going to get it. In this particular case I'm not really bothered because they were vastly overqualified for the position they were currently in as well as overqualified for the position they would be filling, but like that is its own can of worms because at that point you are just artificially inflating the credential floor for positions because like now the person they hire to be above that person needs to have at least their level of education even though it should really only require a bachelor's at most and blah blah blah public service and union contract stuff can get confusing but at the end of the day the thing you gotta remember is fuckin' AFSCME don't take poo poo from nobody — you got that, rear end in a top hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

one thing I do love about the cool weather seasons are leaving my bedroom windows wide open and huddling under a massive pile of blankets in chilly conditions

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gonna go splash around in a different pool today

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
*takes a hit off vape* Annie Lennox is the white Grace Jones

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Mustached Demon posted:

Act like you dunk on 12 year olds

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Mustached Demon posted:

Act like you're drunk on 12 year olds

dan harmon show yourself

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

How do i kill an interviews

come in high energy and be "on", big smile upon meeting, firm handshake, thank them for their time, then shut up and let them get through their intro spiel until they ask something

anything they ask you, say the best possible sounding affirmative thing, usually they start by asking what you were able to learn about the company and what they do from their website, mention checking it out, and at least two things in specific you learned

then you get into your current job a bit, never say you're unemployed ever ever ever ever ever (this goes for everyone), your resume should have your last job until "Present" even if you've been looking for 6 months (if you nail the interview, they don't do employment verification, some don't anyway, if they do you don't wanna work there any way, trust me), you're always looking for a new job because you feel like you're not getting the opportunity to advance that you're looking for at your current position, you want growth potential (management or team leads or bigger projects, w/e)

once you start getting into the gamut of questions, that's where you can do rapport building, what department is the interviewer in? are they a manager or just an HR person? if the former, ask them about some process they're likely really familiar with, they love explaining that poo poo to people, even if you're totally familiar with it already, let them outline it, and then be like "ah yes, very familiar with me because [relay experience]"

then they ask you a few culture fit questions, how you handle stress, how do you handle chain of command, etc. sometimes they'll phrase the question in a way where there's some gray area if its a hypothetical, always acknowledge the fact that they've established a gray area or situation, "well of course I'd want to get the client taken care of as quickly as possible, but [corporate chapter and verse]" or w/e, basically, talk through the whole situation back at them in your own words, sound collected and calm as you go through what your process to solve the problem would be

i can't stress enough how far rapport building goes. interviews are to make sure they don't hire uncoachable psychopaths nobody will like working with. ask them specifics about the poo poo they do day in day out when you can, laugh if they crack a joke (short, understated, but genuine, please know how to fake genuine laugh), seem good natured and put them over

towards the end, start making assumptive statements about the job if it feels like its going well, like asking what the next steps are, specifics about holidays, etc. anything that sounds like "I'll be working here", if the interviewer feels like you'll be working there too, they'll jump into it with you and usually give away the game of if its a thumbs up or not

if it was borderline, ask when you can expect to hear something, and call back mid afternoon that day for a follow up.

interviews are easy, just shove your real self into a closet for a half hour and turn into a complete toolbox for corporate hierarchy

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

802.11weed posted:

pain isn’t the problem, the money is

thread title

on every thread

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

How do i kill an interviews

Bring a gun.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bulgakov posted:

mba more like

me? big rear end!

lmao if you go for anything other than a bba, everyone i know with an mba has been unemployed for more than a year in their adult lives

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScrubLeague posted:

lmao if you go for anything other than a bba, everyone i know with an mba has been unemployed for more than a year in their adult lives

Sounds like everyone you know with an MBA is privileged enough to not have to work for an extended period of time to survive. Happy for them!

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

smarxist posted:

come in high energy and be "on", big smile upon meeting, firm handshake, thank them for their time, then shut up and let them get through their intro spiel until they ask something

anything they ask you, say the best possible sounding affirmative thing, usually they start by asking what you were able to learn about the company and what they do from their website, mention checking it out, and at least two things in specific you learned

then you get into your current job a bit, never say you're unemployed ever ever ever ever ever (this goes for everyone), your resume should have your last job until "Present" even if you've been looking for 6 months (if you nail the interview, they don't do employment verification, some don't anyway, if they do you don't wanna work there any way, trust me), you're always looking for a new job because you feel like you're not getting the opportunity to advance that you're looking for at your current position, you want growth potential (management or team leads or bigger projects, w/e)

once you start getting into the gamut of questions, that's where you can do rapport building, what department is the interviewer in? are they a manager or just an HR person? if the former, ask them about some process they're likely really familiar with, they love explaining that poo poo to people, even if you're totally familiar with it already, let them outline it, and then be like "ah yes, very familiar with me because [relay experience]"

then they ask you a few culture fit questions, how you handle stress, how do you handle chain of command, etc. sometimes they'll phrase the question in a way where there's some gray area if its a hypothetical, always acknowledge the fact that they've established a gray area or situation, "well of course I'd want to get the client taken care of as quickly as possible, but [corporate chapter and verse]" or w/e, basically, talk through the whole situation back at them in your own words, sound collected and calm as you go through what your process to solve the problem would be

i can't stress enough how far rapport building goes. interviews are to make sure they don't hire uncoachable psychopaths nobody will like working with. ask them specifics about the poo poo they do day in day out when you can, laugh if they crack a joke (short, understated, but genuine, please know how to fake genuine laugh), seem good natured and put them over

towards the end, start making assumptive statements about the job if it feels like its going well, like asking what the next steps are, specifics about holidays, etc. anything that sounds like "I'll be working here", if the interviewer feels like you'll be working there too, they'll jump into it with you and usually give away the game of if its a thumbs up or not

if it was borderline, ask when you can expect to hear something, and call back mid afternoon that day for a follow up.

interviews are easy, just shove your real self into a closet for a half hour and turn into a complete toolbox for corporate hierarchy

quoting this so i can find it again if i ever try to re-enter the workforce

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Addamere posted:

Sounds like everyone you know with an MBA is privileged enough to not have to work for an extended period of time to survive. Happy for them!

three of their four marriages ended in that time

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

New wall prototype:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_IA-8nQ4FY

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sounds like getting an MBA is loving stupid

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mustached Demon posted:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i can safely say that i will never get an MBA and it is for bitch fuckers

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
it's another morning in the republic :sun:

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
mornimp

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MBAs are for assholes who saw boneitis guy on Futurama and went "yeah I wanna be that guy"

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Mustached Demon posted:

MBAs are for assholes who saw boneitis guy on Futurama and went "yeah I wanna be that guy"

but it's true tho

it's all about image. gently caress if the product works

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ShitpostBot5000/status/1191195914699976704

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lorn Wayne posted:

but it's true tho

it's all about image. gently caress if the product works

They also only add value to society when the wet the guillotine

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
whats this about snart helg. the helg is over. gently caress

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mustached Demon posted:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

my new dog posted:

whats this about snart helg. the helg is over. gently caress

that's where the snart comes in

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
helgefølelse at critical levels :eng99:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Trimp? https://twitter.com/fin_costick/status/1182333947361005568?s=19

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm really high and doing t hat thing where all my movements are exaggerated and robotic

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ScrubLeague posted:

MBA s are only worth it for networking at "top" schools, if you're into that kind of thing

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
love 2 abruptly lose all interest in something i liked two days ago :sax:

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

smarxist posted:

*takes a hit off vape* Annie Lennox is the white Grace Jones

holy shhit

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

802.11weed posted:

love 2 abruptly lose all interest in something i liked two days ago :sax:

depression comes at you fast

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

tupm

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
Had a crazy intense nicotine induced dream that there were massive riots across the country and it all started in Chicago for some reason

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I today learned the quality of YMCA facilities varies dramatically across venues. The one downtown that I usually go to is perfectly fine and all, but the one in this bougie suburb I decided to check out today is all kinds of super nice. There's more than one pool, there's an actual deep diving pool, there's an actual steam room as well as a dry sauna, and those things are in the locker rooms rather than being coed so you can go straight from the shower to the sauna or vice versa and not have to deal with the comparatively cold air in between them, and things are made of stone or metal instead of plastic, and just wow I had no idea the YMCA could be like this.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

they were all the rage in the 80's

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

that post reminds me at how loving terrible I am working in any sort of office, or within any sort of rigid hierarchy.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The Alpha Centauri posted:

Had a crazy intense nicotine induced dream that there were massive riots across the country and it all started in Chicago for some reason

the ghost of 68 is haunting the dems this election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm of the assumption that anyone with an MBA is or wants to be some kind of Don Draper or Patrick Bateman dude and gently caress those people