Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It’s not even a good-looking version of the PRS shape. Like all bad versions it looks sorta melted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It’s not even a good-looking version of the PRS shape. Like all bad versions it looks sorta melted.

I just has that stallone jaw droop

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://web.archive.org/web/20110323070158/http://www.rockaaa.com/news/top-twenty-metal-guitarists-revealed-3860

what I found looking up PRSes and wondering who the gently caress this mark tremonti character is that has a billion PRSes made for him

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It's the upper horn. It's too big and awkwardly shaped, like somebody had to stop and adjust their cutting angle halfway through.

It reminds me a lot of when a dude takes a hacksaw to their Strat for "improved upper register access" and ends up with something that looks like one of those 60s Italian knockoffs.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

sigher posted:

Are there pics or video of this? Does the lacquer literally pop off?

I can't find the original post of it but yeah the modern fender paint will pop off the sealer coat if heated sufficiently enough.
Most guys use a heat gun the BBQ was just for shits and giggles.

I found a YouTube of a guy doing it with a heat gun.
https://youtu.be/w3zzzu6ybvo

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

It's the upper horn. It's too big and awkwardly shaped, like somebody had to stop and adjust their cutting angle halfway through.

It reminds me a lot of when a dude takes a hacksaw to their Strat for "improved upper register access" and ends up with something that looks like one of those 60s Italian knockoffs.

they remind me of the ibanez lower horn that looks like someone melted a plastic strat in the microwave for a few seconds

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

hexwren posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110323070158/http://www.rockaaa.com/news/top-twenty-metal-guitarists-revealed-3860

what I found looking up PRSes and wondering who the gently caress this mark tremonti character is that has a billion PRSes made for him

Mark Tremonti can fuckin shred but has the curse of picking the worst lead singers.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

I can't find the original post of it but yeah the modern fender paint will pop off the sealer coat if heated sufficiently enough.

I was going to say something about there being a reason the guitar originally wasn't a natural finish but mainly I'm thinking:
:shepface: Shell pink lefty J-Bass here I come.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 4, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

rickiep00h posted:

Mark Tremonti can fuckin shred but has the curse of picking the worst lead singers.

So a shredder with an album?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r__hnUTYxB4

This does not exactly look playable.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Laserjet 4P posted:

This does not exactly look playable.

Didn't know Skurge started making guitars.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

tfw you're so bad that your guitar grows a protective exoskeleton to keep you from playing it

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really enjoyed that build tbh

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Anime Reference posted:

Peroni Reed Smith

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Looks like the end result of a xenomorph bukkake video.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

Wait, I thought Myles Kennedy was a solid singer?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
maybe, maybe not but his name is myles kennedy

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thumposaurus posted:

Whoa that's cool as gently caress.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wait you're supposed to strum directly over the pickup you are using? And is that guitar not for some metal dork? What kind of metal dork never uses a bridge pickup god daaaamnit im so maaaaaaaaaad. :mad:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Wark Say posted:

Wait, I thought Myles Kennedy was a solid singer?

Capable, yes. But they make terrible music together. It's generic modern rock, just like Creed was.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

wait you're supposed to strum directly over the pickup you are using?

I saw Dropdead the other day for the first time in over 25 years and their guitarist was strumming up on the neck :shrug:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

wait you're supposed to strum directly over the pickup you are using? And is that guitar not for some metal dork? What kind of metal dork never uses a bridge pickup god daaaamnit im so maaaaaaaaaad. :mad:

That guitar was made to show off the builder's tools and woodworking skills. Then get sold for a ridiculous amount of money and live in a display case.

And yeah, wasn't a fan even before I realized he had no plans for a bridge pickup and rage-quit the whole series

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

Capable, yes. But they make terrible music together. It's generic modern rock, just like Creed was.
Ah yeah, no doubt. Is the stuff he does with Slash any better, though?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

Ah yeah, no doubt. Is the stuff he does with Slash any better, though?

it sounds like an american band in a canadian movie

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

I saw Dropdead the other day for the first time in over 25 years and their guitarist was strumming up on the neck :shrug:

Strumming on different points of the strings is a great way to get different tones quick and easy in a clean rhythm line. The mostly rhythm guitarist from Los Straightjackets strums around the 12th fret on a few songs to let the lead take the bulk of the harmonic overtones and fit better in the mix.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, adjusting your picking location to affect your tone is a vital but often overlooked skill. It's one of those little things that can push you from a great guitarist to an amazing one.

If you watch Eric Johnson live, he's constantly making little adjustments to his picking location to get different tones in the same phrase. Greg Koch is a master of this as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr8BPUcUZlE

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I think the guy from Dropdead was playing up high pretty much the whole time. I guess it’s worth it if you get to keep your guitar real low like a badass

Also Blow the Scene is a pretty funny site name. Sounds like a lot of work.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

For sure changing picking location is super fun for getting a formant-like change in tone.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I wonder how ol' Wamps feels about signature artist Brent Mason being on best-selling crossover hit Come on Over by Shania Twain. (I mean, among a zillion other country-pop records.)

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Oh gently caress country pop and Keith Unban with his Bryan Adams cover act. It's just a hole down which boutique pedals, tweed amps and $3000 telecasters are thrown

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But I like Wilco. :ohdear:

I mean, old man Cline plays with them and he's a loving badass guitarist.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Wark Say posted:

But I like Wilco. :ohdear:

I mean, old man Cline plays with them and he's a loving badass guitarist.

However much one likes them or doesn’t, Wilco definitely isn’t Shania Twain/Keith Urban type pop-country. Haven’t kept up with their output the last 10+ years but even “alt-country” started to feel like quite a stretch in the mid-late aughts. Just like mellow NPR indie-dad music.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I hate Keith Urban because whenever I see his name I get a get a horrible flash that Dredd's doing lovely pop country now.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thermos H Christ posted:

However much one likes them or doesn’t, Wilco definitely isn’t Shania Twain/Keith Urban type pop-country. Haven’t kept up with their output the last 10+ years but even “alt-country” started to feel like quite a stretch in the mid-late aughts. Just like mellow NPR indie-dad music.
A'ight, not country pop, then. :)

Dadrock/Indie-dad is fine with me.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QorKFQ50ZK0

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

It sounds like REM doing a bad Ministry cover. Not sure why this needed to exist.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Hey everyone, it's holiday coupon season at music stores! I'm in the market for a CV Bass VI, so let's see what Guitar Center's coupon looks like.

15% off everything? Wow, that's a nice deal! Oh wait, there's some fine print here. Let's see...

Guitar Center email posted:

Products from the following manufacturers are excluded: A Designs, ADAM Audio, Aguilar, Allen & Heath, Alvarez, Ampeg, Antelope Audio, Apogee, Apple, Arturia, Ashdown, Ashly Audio, Avantone, Avid, BAE, Beetronics FX, Blackstar, Bose, Boss, Burl Audio, Caparison Guitars, Catalinbread, Chapman, Crate, Cusack Music, D.W. Fearn, Dangerous Music, Dean Markley, Duesenberg USA, Earthquaker Devices, Earthworks, Electro-Harmonix, Elysia, Empress Effects, Epiphone, Ernie Ball Music Man, EVH, Fender, Fender Custom Shop, Focal, Focusrite, Fostex, Friedman, Fulltone, Fulltone Custom Shop, Gallien-Krueger, Gibson, Gibson Custom, Golden Age Project, GoPro, Heritage Audio, ISP Technologies, JHS Pedals, Keeley, Kemper, Korg, Kurzweil, Kush Audio, LaChapell Audio, Lâg Guitars, Lewitt Audio Microphones, Lindell Audio, Mackie, Manley, Meinl, Metric Halo, Millennia, Milkman Sound, Mojave Audio, Moog, MOTU, Native Instruments, Neumann, Nord, Novation, Orange Amplifiers, Pettyjohn Electronics, Phoenix Audio, PRS, Radial Engineering, Randall, Rane, Reloop, Reverend, RME, Rockett Pedals, Roland, Royer, Ruach Music, se Electronics, Seqential, Serato, Shure, Slate Digital, Slate Pro Audio, Slate Media Technology, Softube, Soundbrenner, Source Audio, Squier, Steven Slate Drums, Studiologic, Suzuki, Taylor, Teenage Engineering, Telefunken, Teletronix, Toft Audio Designs, Tube-Tech, Voodoo Lab, Vox, Walrus Audio, Wampler, Warm Audio, Westone, Xotic Effects, Yamaha, ZT, Zvex.

Oh. Well then.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
The email I got said with that coupon said "As a guitarist, you'll want to complete your setup with a high-quality amp, boutique pedal or multi-effects processor. We hope this coupon helps you round out your rig." :laugh:

Might be of use if you're a drummer or know one; notice Pearl, Ludwig, Zildjian, Sabian etc. are missing from that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Haha, that reminds me of the two 6505 combos I ordered from GC that both arrived broken (first one lead channel didnt work, second one had the amp itself broken off from the combo). They tossed a $100 gift card my way for the trouble, which had a similar list of exceptions.

Considering there was virtually nothing worthwhile I could get with the gift card, I ended up grabbing a pair of Denon DJ headphones... which turned out to be pretty crappy (awful cable, uncomfortable, lacking sound/volume compared to like everything else in the price range).