Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

finally.... snowman is real 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

KungFu Grip posted:

Not galarian. Its a new pokemon ruinagruis

Don't think the new leaker has posted any other new galarian forms besides this line. I.e no galarian koffin yet

I'll be honest, seeing the regional forms branch out into entirely separate evolution lines is pretty drat awesome. I'd say that I wouldn't mind if some gens we get less new Pokemon and more regional forms entirely, but then I see all the cool new designs we've had and I start reconsidering.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I need to know typings/abilities/stats for all these new potential friends.

:gonk:
This is the best/worst problem to have.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
is it against the rules to talk about national dex stuff? I would think people would be more upset, since 400 mons seems even lower than expected.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ah gently caress my boy Porygon died for this.

Ah gently caress Absol too.

Ah poo poo Magnezone as well.

:rip: half of my team

Live Free posted:

is it against the rules to talk about national dex stuff? I would think people would be more upset, since 400 mons seems even lower than expected.

400, not counting the mythicals that only show up once you have them, is loving pathetic. That’s a 60% or so purge of the dex on your console launch title.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
oh ok there we go

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, it's not only 400

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Johnny Joestar posted:

isn't it? wasn't the 632 leak fake?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

The whole “there’s actually 632 post-game” has yet to be actually proven anywhere.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Yeah reddit and 4chan are saying the 632 thing is false. It is insanely disappointing how small the dex apparently is

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I was holding out hope for the Ultra Beasts being back, that's a real bummer for me :(

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Desperate Character posted:

Yeah reddit and 4chan are saying the 632 thing is false. It is insanely disappointing how small the dex apparently is

Ugh, seriously? That is pretty disappointing. 632 would at least, after the new mons added, come out to a little under 2/3rds of the dex. 400 is half before the new additions, and less than that after.

Also agreeing that Meltan not making it is real bad. Same with Mew only getting the spot because people paid real life dollars for it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

400 is a good number I feel, though it’s dragged down by some of those being the likes of freaking goldeen.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's weird to me that they include Charmander, but not Squirtle or Bulbasaur.

Like.. if you're going to include one of the 3 original starters, you should be including all of them
I'd love to know the reasoning behind not including them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bad final stages is my guess

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

400, not counting the mythicals that only show up once you have them, is loving pathetic. That’s a 60% or so purge of the dex on your console launch title.

LGPE was the console launch title (if you don't count Colosseum and XD); 🗡️🛡️ is the 2nd mainline game on console.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

autumnal oddium posted:

bad final stages is my guess

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

It's weird to me that they include Charmander, but not Squirtle or Bulbasaur.

Like.. if you're going to include one of the 3 original starters, you should be including all of them
I'd love to know the reasoning behind not including them.

Charizard makes preposterous boatloads of money and he’s much more popular

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are people gonna come around to Stealth Rock now, because of how badly it fucks over Charizard?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Avalerion posted:

400 is a good number I feel, though it’s dragged down by some of those being the likes of freaking goldeen.

Eh, I think going from a game where you can have 800 at once to a game where you can only have 400, despite stronger hardware and a new console gen, makes it sting more. It isn't like Digimon or Monster Rancher, where the number's never been expected to stay the same.

Compare it like a 2D fighting game and an anime based 3D fighter. A 2D fighter is expected to reinvent its systems and develop its characters between games, sometimes drastically. Seeing and speculating who makes the roster cut is basically par for the course. Meanwhile, an anime fighter keeps putting out more story arcs and characters from the anime as its go first and foremost. Is it any surprise that people are upset when we suddenly change from Ninja Storm to Mortal Kombat, especially when the roster that does stick around and underlying game mechanics don't come with the drastic reinvention one would expect from a roster cut?

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
I'm extremely biased because I spent the last few years completing my pokedex and getting all my boys into usum which i guess is where they'll stay until we know what their plans for the future are

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Now all our hopes lie with Pokemon Home being something more than a glorified Pokemon Bank.

:negative:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sad to hear the once-great Pokemon series has been reduced to such trash

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Don't care about the national dex because as an adult with very little free time, catching them all seems like a chore more than a fun goal. No judgment to those who have the time/desire to do so, but for me, it's just not a big deal.

Having also played every mainline game in the series, I feel the need to run with all-new Pokemon every game anyway, so the loss of specific old Pokemon also doesn't bother me.

That said, I'm thinking:

Cinderace
Corviknight
Boltund/Electox
Thievel/Grimmsnarl
Orbeetle/Frosmoth
Hatterene
Coalossal
Grapploct
Dragapult

Some combination of those for my team of six. My specific case of brain worms causes me to always catch my Pokemon natively in my game (no trades) and with at the bare minimum a nature that is neutral for their stats. I also never run the same nature twice on a team, and try my best not to repeat types. That said, I'll have to wait for stat spreads and in-game locations to be out to make a final decision, but it'll likely come from that list.

And my god, I hope I can run with multiple saves using different profiles. 'Cause there's easily enough awesome 'mons for at least 2-3 more runs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Now all our hopes lie with Pokemon Home being something more than a glorified Pokemon Bank.

:negative:

dehumanize yourself and face to the charizards

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
at least chandelure is in, and oddly enough it looks like mew is there too

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Live Free posted:

and oddly enough it looks like mew is there too

Sure hope this is the gen in which they finally stop doing mythic pokemon exclusive to exciting time limited events in which you go to gamestop and ask them for a piece of paper.

haha who am I kidding.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
I've never cared about old mons and only really care about new Pokémon games for the new Pokémon so I never cared much about old mons returning or not, even if most of my favourites are apparently cut from the dex. That combined with a lack of free time means a smaller dex just can be more focused than the clusterfuck that was Kalos, so I'm not too bothered by 400, if anything I'd rather it be cut down a bit further to like 350 or so and have some chaff like Goldeen cut as well :shrug:

I'm thinking of running a combination of:
Cinderace
Grapploct
Frosmoth
Appletun
Copperajah
Polteageist
Hatterene
Falinks
Perrserker

Though considering the Switch profiles means you can have multiple saves I guess I could just use all of them anyway.
Really wanted to use Rolycoly because hot drat it is amazing but those evos dissappoint me so much

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This might be the first Pokemon game I sit out at launch and wait a little on. Not really a big fan of most of the new Pokemon designs.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

A progressively smaller dex until it is composed entirely of Charizard and Charizard formes.

Also lol at the "I have IRL things to do, I don't care about less pokemon" arguments.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I was holding out hope for the Ultra Beasts being back, that's a real bummer for me :(

Haha they were the absolute first on the chopping block.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rudoku posted:

Haha they were the absolute first on the chopping block.

Meanwhile the two Pokémon meant to battle them make it in. :confused:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Harlock posted:

This might be the first Pokemon game I sit out at launch and wait a little on. Not really a big fan of most of the new Pokemon designs.

This is the most polarizing generation for me - some designs are just incredible and some are eye-searingly bad. There is nothing in the middle.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I loved just about every design they've showed so far. Y'all crazy

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

qnqnx posted:

A progressively smaller dex until it is composed entirely of Charizard and Charizard formes.

Also lol at the "I have IRL things to do, I don't care about less pokemon" arguments.

All that person was saying was that it wasn't a big deal to them personally and they had nothing against the ones who do. :raise:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Andrast posted:

what the gently caress no Zubat

this is an outrage, what else are they going to fill the caves with

My good friend woobat made it past the border.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, that was their opinion not a spicy "lol anybody who completes the dex needs a life" take. I'm in the same spot. I love Pokemon but I don't have the time to 100% games like I did in school. Sword/Shield will likely get the same amount of time as the others have since Ruby/Sapphire - one playthrough. I'll enjoy an adventure with all these new buddies then move on to the next game in my impossible backlog. It's a shame for the people who do living dexes or competitive battling and such (although IMO this will revitalize the latter) but it is fine for me.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
So is Galarian Koffing just regular Koffing and not a Koffing with a little bowler hat? :(

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Araxxor posted:

The full dex roster is now out. Here's an infographic of what survived Galar's harsh climate, and what didn't:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Aw gently caress they cut cascoon