Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My rule of thumb is that acronyms don't actually exist.

Occasionally I'll get caught out, and something actually is an acronym, but the odds are very much in my favour.
THUMB actually means Thumb Headed Unionist Male Brexiteer.

The thumb in that means the same thing.

e: In 1943 Abbott Laboratories requested approval for methamphetamine to be sold for the treatment of a number of ailments, including hay fever. These were later recanted, however less active l-methamphetamine is still used in some Vicks' VapoInhalers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

THUMB actually means Thumb Headed Unionist Male Brexiteer.

The thumb in that means the same thing.

TIARA Is A Recursive Acronym

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Farage is on the BBC announcing that the Brexit Party will be contesting 600 seats.

:getin:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My rule of thumb is that acronyms don't actually exist.

Occasionally I'll get caught out, and something actually is an acronym, but the odds are very much in my favour.

acronyms are a relatively very recent invention - RADAR was one of the first commonly used ones and that was invented the 1940s

99% of the claims that a certain word derives from an acronym (almost always swears or other slang) are bollocks

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

quote:

Swinson confirms suspect package sent to office

“I can confirm that a suspect package was this morning delivered to Jo Swinson’s Parliamentary office," a spokesperson for her says.

“The staff immediately notified the police who attended and have now assessed the package as non-suspicious," they add.

What the gently caress Lib Dems? If you're contradicting yourself in literally the next loving sentence of a public statement then maybe you don't need to be making a public statement?

Red Oktober posted:

Farage is on the BBC announcing that the Brexit Party will be contesting 600 seats.

Perhaps Farage has realised that if he splits the vote and gets a Remain / referendum supporting government in, he can keep the grift going for much longer than if Brexit just happens in a couple of months.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
It was a Lib Dem membership request form, you can see their confusion

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

She was sent some non-LD electoral projections.

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Red Oktober posted:

So what's going to be the big effect of this do you think? Trump and Farage, the gammon duo are both disparaging Boris for the Brexit situation but the Tories remain fairly popular from what I see regardless? Do people who have to suffer through gammon media notice people turning on Boris at all?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

xtothez posted:

What the gently caress Lib Dems? If you're contradicting yourself in literally the next loving sentence of a public statement then maybe you don't need to be making a public statement?

Initially it appeared to be the offer of an electoral pact with no strings attached.

On later examination of the reverse side of the paper it did indeed have the expected list of principles for the Lib Dems to chuck out the window, so it was non-suspicious.

xtothez posted:

Perhaps Farage has realised that if he splits the vote and gets a Remain / referendum supporting government in, he can keep the grift going for much longer than if Brexit just happens in a couple of months.

I'd absolutely believe this, Farage's entire grift is being nearly able to Brexit.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Julio Cruz posted:

99% of the claims that a certain word derives from an acronym (almost always swears or other slang) are bollocks

Aha, Based On Lazy Laconicization Of Commonly Known Sayings? Interesting.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

sebzilla posted:

TIARA Is A Recursive Acronym

GNU's Not UNIX

WINE Is Not an Emulator

The Hurd in GNU Hurd stands for "Hird of Unix-replacing Daemons", and the hird in that stands for "Hurd of Interfaces Representing Depth"

Open source engineers are word nerds.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

It was a Lib Dem membership request form, you can see their confusion

:iceburn:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

acronyms are a relatively very recent invention - RADAR was one of the first commonly used ones and that was invented the 1940s

Posting on the meth facts page to say that there's an earlier one that many people don't even recognize as an acronym, amphetamine, α-methylphenethylamine. But yeah, that's late 19th/early 20th century.

But yeah, there must be a million "hey did you know what gently caress means?" drifting around there, and they're all wrong, because fokking exists in most Germanic dialects (except in Dutch, where a kippenfokker would be a chicken farmer, but something very different in Afrkiaans). It definitely means Found Under Chuka's Knob though.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Rustybear posted:

A market where one option is 10/11 and the other 100/1 is really bad for the bookies as nobody will bother with either the dead cert that pays nothing or the longshot that will never come good.

This would be really bad for bookies as the would be no way for a punter to lose money.

Put £110 on the 10/11 shot
Put £2 on the 100/1

Total outlay £112. Minimum return is £202 no matter the result.

It's why you will never see these odds together on a 2 horse race.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

xtothez posted:

*reads first paragraph* yes

*reads second paragraph* also yes

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/04/labours-momentum-raises-250000-in-six-days-to-fight-election

quote:

Momentum seeks ‘Labour legends’ to take a week off to campaign

Leftwing group launches election strategy after raising £250,000 in record time

I've got a week's holiday I can take and already have my Christmas holiday sorted. Think I'm gonna do it.

Mods plz create and then give me a labour legends gang tag.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Julio Cruz posted:

I had a fun five minutes explaining what a quango was to one of my German colleagues this morning.

Quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisation, i.e pay people a stupid salary to sit around and have a bureaucratic circle jerk.

I wanted to post the lib Dem thing earlier, but it seemed insensitive to say that the lib dems were trying to fake it up for attention because nobody really cares enough about them to send anthrax.

E: Contrast that to McDonnels casual 'oh yeah I get two death threats a week on average' comment from earlier.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 4, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

ronya posted:

employee-side flexibility is the conventional meaning of "flexible working hours" in formal/academic contexts (e.g.)

employer-side flexibility is generally called on-call work or "variable working hours", but there is no particular guarantee of consistent usage

in the context of Moore's article that HDS quotes, it probably has the conventional meaning in mind - employee-side flexible hours and and the employee's discretion in remote work for "normal" days.

Even so, it's worth being aware that this does come at a cost to employees who do not value these aspects of a workplace. It is piecework pay for knowledge workers, since a workplace that invests in flexible work hours necessarily finds other ways to assess employee contributions besides being present at a worksite to take orders from management, and these metrics are then applied to workers who do not take up flextime anyway - in English, for example, a project team might be expected to meet certain project milestones on time but retain discretion over how/when they show up to do so; the milestones are then set assuming a broadly 40 hour week. The employee is then taking on the managerial duty of managing themselves to meet those milestones, and this would remain true whether or not one leverages those flexible hours. This would be annoying if what one instead expects from work is to perform pre-specified tasks for pre-specified hours in a day, and have management entirely own the responsibility for making sure those tasks translate into revenues.

Indeed, so employees having more agency in the matter of flexible and from-home working will reduce the phenomenon of bullshit jobs, in which as you say people are mostly judged on whether they turn up, not whether they do any work.

Those employees who wish to could possibly also get a pay bump for managing themselves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sadly I'm not allowed holidays at this time of year so I'm just volunteering when I can shuffle it around work.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So having never really paid much attention to the media during elections before, why is it that TV stations have to adhere to a stricter set of rules regarding impartiality, but newspapers don't?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

team overhead smash posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/04/labours-momentum-raises-250000-in-six-days-to-fight-election

I've got a week's holiday I can take and already have my Christmas holiday sorted. Think I'm gonna do it.

Mods plz create and then give me a labour legends gang tag.

I've only got 2.5 hours of holiday left to take, going to run about town in the afternoon of the 12th doing GOTV stuff I think.

Work from home on the 13th to deal with election night insomnia/hangover.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Penis PenisPenis isn't seeking reelection!

He's going to have a baby with his Spectator journalist girlfriend.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*five seconds later* We regret to inform you the baby is also racist.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Tsietisin posted:

This would be really bad for bookies as the would be no way for a punter to lose money.

Put £110 on the 10/11 shot
Put £2 on the 100/1

Total outlay £112. Minimum return is £202 no matter the result.

It's why you will never see these odds together on a 2 horse race.

I'm going to pretend i wasn't imagining a two horse race and not that i just post post post! without thinking about the numbers.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

His girlfriend is Isobel Hardman, so if they got married and they double-barrelled their name he would evolve into...

Penis Penis-PenisPenis.

The world is not ready for this.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

Unfortunately Slack has a limit of nine people in a chat, and the the Secret Goon Cru chat is now full. If someone who knows more about Slack than I do can convince me that I can do it without the higher-ups knowing about it, I might look into making a private channel.

Its free tier slack so exports cant be done on demand theres stuff around using the api export data but i believe its public channels only by default

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I desperately want John Woodcock-Hardman to become a thing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bardeh posted:

So having never really paid much attention to the media during elections before, why is it that TV stations have to adhere to a stricter set of rules regarding impartiality, but newspapers don't?

As I recall they cried that equal time would make all their front pages less sensational and kill their sales.

All the more reason to do it, imo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

Traditionally we've never had statutory regulation of printed media (apart from for obscene materials).

I think the coincidence of timing of radio and TV both coming to mass-market adoption not long after world wars, which were the few times that the Press (and public) were accepting of mass censorship, as well as our first broadcaster on both being State-controlled, means that there was far less pushback against regulation once the private sector got involved.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
All 4 sales that they currently have.

Went up to Edinburgh and no-one I know has suffered a fatal calamity, so that was good. Also talked to my oldest friends about stuff so that was nice.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Junior G-man posted:

Look who slithered out of his haunted mansion:

Shut. The. gently caress. Up. Tony.

I was right all along and this country's drift Torywards has nothing to do with the fact that I ran it for a decade!

Also I think it's a good thing compared to Dread Corbynism!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Harman says she'll create a new deputy speaker role for a "minority party"

Surely that'll mostly just have the effect of limiting their voting impact?

Lab/Con can soak the loss of a single seat up and it's effectively paired by the other deputies, but if Plaid (for example) gave 1/4 of their seats up it seems like a pretty bad deal for them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bardeh posted:

Paper is cheap, any old idiot can print a newspaper. Historically the airwaves have been a limited resource, so it's considered important that what goes out on them has standards.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1191369565248380928?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

lol

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
do they have to stump up for their own deposits?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
First ballot result should be around 16:15 or so for Speaker

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Goodbye, Penis PenisPenis https://twitter.com/JWoodcockMP/status/1191352598147878913

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rustybear posted:

do they have to stump up for their own deposits?

Probably. Did you hear about the process of becoming a PPC for the BP?

You literally submitted like £300 and your details to the Brexit Party website, and then wait to hear back.

Most people who applied this way did not get the chance to run, and in fact Farage just parachuted in his mates to favourable seats lmao

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
And people thought he was ever only going to contest 20 seats lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

I'm from the area and at a cursory glance the new candidate seems to be a good egg? He was born in Furness at least.