Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Citations Needed (https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-91-its-time-to-retire-the-term-middle-class) did a really good episode about why we need to get rid of "middle class" as a term in politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, Reagan was an rear end, Dollop does a good two parter of Reagan with Patton Oswalt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZlRX1EVnSw

Reagan was trash, he was practically Trump but even further into his brain being mush.

Yeah I'm reading the The Clothes Have No Emperor right now and I knew beforehand Regan was a shithead and he was mush brained but some of the day to day stuff that's coming up is pure :stare:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 4, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Really you should distinguish yourself as labor or capital instead. I would be surprised if anybody here could classify themselves as capital.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

EBB posted:

Really you should distinguish yourself as labor or capital instead. I would be surprised if anybody here could classify themselves as capital.

The Bolsheviks managed to create "rich peasants" out of whole cloth.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

EBB posted:

laboring hard to stan for capital

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So apparently disgraced racist pedophile Milo Yiannawhatever is leaking audio recordings of Richard Spencer after Charlottesville for reasons?

https://twitter.com/atheist_cvnt/status/1191157832546041856

Obvious content warning for an enraged mad Nazi shrieking racial slurs and making threats to go back there every weekend. It’s pretty lovely to watch the alt right’s leadership turning on each other.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I just saw that. :stare:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Audio without video in TYOOL2019 in which the villain makes zero actual references to the reported subject of his hate-filled screeching.

And it was posted by Milo.

Just lol. gently caress both of those guys but also gently caress you if you've learned nothing about our Own-Fueled Reality since 2016.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ok

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/politics_polls/status/1191166319233777664?s=21

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Shot.

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/IAmKrishanPatel/status/1191167569606037504?s=20

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Citations Needed (https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-91-its-time-to-retire-the-term-middle-class) did a really good episode about why we need to get rid of "middle class" as a term in politics.

Exactly what I was thinking of. It's a term with no definition because loving EVERYONE thinks they're "middle class".

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

wut

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How the gently caress did I get a better education on your history than you

One of the big problems with the curriculum in a lot of American grade level history textbooks is that the textbook companies publish what the big school systems/districts want to teach, and smaller districts even in other states end up having to buy the same thing because they can't afford to develop a separate curriculum.

In other words, a lot of kids are stuck learning what Texas wants to teach.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

also school curriculum scheduling

we did world history in like 6th and Sophmore year, us history in 8th and junior year. Civics was Freshman year.

US history we'd get up to McCarthyism at the end of the year. World history ended at ww2 pretty much, what with snow days or other school events.

my 7/8th grade spanish teacher was a dude from el salvodore. he got really pissed off at us when no one knew what the cuban missle crisis was. sorry dude but we got wicked snow that year and we missed it.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Dude's goin full Dennis Reynolds there :stare:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Coasterphreak posted:

One of the big problems with the curriculum in a lot of American grade level history textbooks is that the textbook companies publish what the big school systems/districts want to teach, and smaller districts even in other states end up having to buy the same thing because they can't afford to develop a separate curriculum.

In other words, a lot of kids are stuck learning what Texas wants to teach.

Yeah, you won't learn about a lot of this poo poo until university level classes, it's kind of hosed.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1191318856683413504?s=19

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/1191335181694767105?s=21

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Edit: gently caress, wrong thread. Sorry guys.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 4, 2019

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/dcherring/statu...ingawful.com%2F

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

:stare: Isn't this felony murder?

Khashoggi was a resident of Virginia, and they still have the death penalty.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

BigDave posted:

:stare: Isn't this felony murder?

Khashoggi was a resident of Virginia, and they still have the death penalty.

I rolled my eyes really hard at this post.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

quote:

..Kushner (allegedly) gave the green light to MBS to arrest the dissident journalist, Jamal Khashoggi, who was later murdered and dismembered in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. A second source tells Cockburn that this is true and adds a crucial twist to the story. This source claims that Turkish intelligence obtained an intercept of the call between Kushner and MBS. And President Erdogan used it to get Trump to roll over and pull American troops out of northern Syria before the Turks invaded.

Woof.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

colachute posted:

I rolled my eyes really hard at this post.

Same.

Death penalties don't matter when you're that rich and white.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Same.

Death penalties don't matter when you're that rich and white.

OK so he won't get the needle, but Jesus Christ you can't order the murder of a American permanent resident by a foreign power and not go to prison.

I don't give a gently caress what year it is!

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Can you imagine the shake up that would happen if a sentence like that went?

Edit: and on a different horrible note

https://news.yahoo.com/china-reportedly-sending-men-sleep-120625885.html

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm trying to imagine the shake up where there are any consequences at all

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BigDave posted:

OK so he won't get the needle, but Jesus Christ you can't order the murder of a American permanent resident by a foreign power and not go to prison.

Trump and everyone around him desperately tried to find a way to extradite Gulen to be tortured to death lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I saw this earlier but it was only coming from The Daily Mail which is kinda suspect right? Been waiting to see if reuters or another bigger group will run it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

How is he “greenlighting” any thing at all

What position does this dumb motherfucker hold

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Tongue distance from Trump's butthole

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/zeddary/status/1191146890852814849

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

How is he “greenlighting” any thing at all

What position does this dumb motherfucker hold
Consort to Princess White Trash.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I guess the UCMJ and LOAC don't matter anymore; more suggestions than laws.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/11/04/report-trump-makes-seal-gallagher-a-chief-again/

quote:

President Donald J. Trump has decided to restore convicted SEAL Edward Gallagher’s pay grade to chief petty officer, overriding a decision last week by the Navy’s top admiral, both Navy Times and Fox News learned.

Although naval officials and Navy Times discussed Trump’s looming decision on Sunday, it was announced on the morning Fox and Friends show by network contributor Pete Hegseth, who said he spoke directly with the president about intervening in three war crimes cases.

A week before Veterans Day, Trump’s move clears the way to free Army 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, who was convicted a pair of murder charges for ordering his platoon to shoot and kill three Afghan men on a motorcycle in 2012 and is serving a 20-year sentence at the U.S. Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth.

It also is poised to end the prosecution of Green Beret Maj. Matt Golsteyn, who is accused of executing a suspected Taliban bomb maker in Helmand Province nine years ago.

“This president recognizes the injustice of it,” Hegseth said during the broadcast. “You train someone to go fight and kill the enemy. Then they go kill the enemy the way someone doesn’t like, and then we put them in jail or we throw the book at them.”

On Tuesday, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday decided to retain the spirit of a military jury’s recommended sentence for Gallagher, 40, letting stand the panel’s call to demote him but keeping him a petty officer first class and not the E-1 pay grade where Navy regulations would’ve automatically left him after more than two decades of service.

That same panel of his peers, mostly composed of Marine combat veterans, acquitted Gallagher on a string of war crimes charges during a trial that presented evidence of corruption inside the Navy’s Judge Advocate General’s Corps and the Naval Criminal Investigative Service.

Gallagher was convicted on the sole charge of posing for a snapshot with a dead detainee. A dozen service members, including a commissioned officer senior to Gallagher, were not indicted or apparently punished for a crime resolved in the past through mild administrative actions.

And it remained unclear if Naval Special Warfare truly had finished with Gallagher, at least administratively.

Navy Times had been tracking the fate of the highly decorated SEAL on Friday, after he’d been ordered to report to duty at Naval Base Coronado in his dress white uniform.

Rumors swirled throughout the base that senior officers were poised to unleash a series of sanctions on him, including sending him to a Trident Review Board to strip him of the SEAL insignia, whispers also overheard by Gallagher’s defense attorney, Timothy Parlatore.

At the close of business in California, however, no action had been taken by embattled Rear Adm. Colin Green and new rumors percolated out of headquarters that senior officials had stepped in to halt the proceedings.

“We didn’t reach out to the president, but we’re grateful that he’s taking this action,” Parlatore told Navy Times on Monday. “The idea that even after everything Green did to still go after Eddie’s trident, that’s not the action of a SEAL admiral. That’s the action of a petulant child. It’s a good thing the adults in the room are standing up.”

Parlatore said he had yet to speak to Gallagher because it was 4 a.m. in California when Hegseth announced the impending intervention by the president.

“In 3 ½ hours, I have the expectation that Green might still pull Eddie’s trident when he shows up for duty," Parlatore told Navy Times by telephone.

Late Sunday, Parlatore emailed Green’s staff a scathing letter addressed to the admiral, urging him to abandon “your fixation on harming Eddie Gallagher and his family.”

“He has already suffered indignities that vastly outweigh the severity of his alleged offenses. Continued unlawful attacks will serve only to undermines your ability to effectively lead the NSW community,” Parlatore wrote.

Pointing to interviews he conducted with a number of SEALs during his defense of Gallagher, Parlatore wrote that he continued to hear a common complaint that Green’s command “uses operators and then casts them away like garbage the moment they no longer satisfy your needs.”

In the wake of Gallagher’s acquittal, Green in August issued a four-page “back to basics” directive designed to shore up shoddy conduct, restore moral accountability and create better leaders.

Released to senior leaders and then obtained by Navy Times, Green’s guidance sought to return his SEAL and boat teams to standards expected of service members across the fleet, with a mandate for leaders to conduct “routine inspections of your units and strictly enforce all Navy grooming and uniform standards, including adherence to all Navy traditions, customs and ceremonies.”

But Parlatore’s letter warned Green that mandating haircuts, outlawing unit patches “are not the problems” plaguing Naval Special Warfare and instead directed Green’s attention to a high tempo of overseas operations “and a lack of proper support from failed leaders” and “scapegoating” Gallagher will only undermine “good order and discipline; men are losing respect and confidence in their leadership.”

Pentagon officials did not respond to requests by Navy Times for comment on Sunday or Monday morning.

Fox’s announcement of Trump’s impending action isn’t the first time he’s intervened in Gallagher’s case.

On March 30, the president took to Twitter to announce that he ordered the Pentagon to release Gallagher from pretrial confinement in San Diego’s Naval Consolidated Brig Miramar.

“In honor of his past service to our Country, Navy Seal #EddieGallagher will soon be moved to less restrictive confinement while he awaits his day in court," Trump tweeted. “Process should move quickly!”

And it did, with Navy officials immediately moving to spring Gallagher from the brig.

A day after the verdict in Gallagher’s court-martial case, Trump also tweeted congratulations to the SEAL, his wife Andrea, and his entire family.

“You have been through much together. Glad I could help!” the president wrote.

And the president still wasn’t done with a case plagued by allegations of prosecutorial and police misconduct.

Before Gallagher’s trial kicked off, Navy judge Capt. Aaron Rugh sanctioned prosecutors for violating the SEAL’s constitutional rights.

Part of his punishment included booting Cmdr. Christopher Czaplak, the lead prosecutor, for a warrantless surveillance program cooked up with NCIS agents to track emails sent by defense attorneys and Navy Times.

Agents and prosecutors also were accused of manipulating witness statements to NCIS agents; using immunity grants and a bogus “target letter” in a crude attempt to keep pro-Gallagher witnesses from testifying; illegally leaking documents to the media to taint the military jury pool; and then trying to cover it all up when they got caught.

After the Navy bestowed achievement medals on several prosecutors and their enlisted aides, Trump stepped in on July 31 to nix the decorations, lampooning them as “ridiculously given" awards.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Stephen Miller: a man so disagreeable even his hairline receded from him.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The best Troop dick is War Crimes Troop dick

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

I guess Obama used American drones and all of those Americans killed under CIA orders during drug wars were “accidents” so technically correct?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Engh, I'm pretty sure you've been able to kill Americans without consequence for a while if you're rich/powerful enough and the victims are less connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

As Americans, we knew what we signed up for.