Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kananaskis Grizzly by xzzy77, on Flickr

I now have way more respect for wildlife dudes, I took this at 600mm on a crop sensor and still felt like I was too close to the bear (maybe 100 yards? not all sure). I still had to crop massively (original is 6000x4000, crop is 2328x1863). So those folks that can get those ridiculous up close face shots are loving bonkers. When I got home I started looking in to 2x extenders.

Also a moose.

Kananaskis Moose by xzzy77, on Flickr

Am curious if anyone can nitpick any funny business with colors on this one. It was taken in the blue hour and I tried to warm it up, and can't decide if I hosed up so more eyes might help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

bighorn sheep in yellowstone near north entrance

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A drop bear! :ohdear:

In honor of Shark Week, one of my favorites that I took while diving off of NC:

On the wreck of the Hyde, near Wilmington if anyone was curious. It's a male sand tiger shark, ~9ft long and he got spooked by my bubbles right after this moment. He bolted off back in the direction he was coming from, way faster than I had seen one go before :stare:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Spent a little over a week in CO/SD/WY for vacation. Did a lot of National Park stuff so I got a bunch of critters:

CO/SD/WY 2019 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

More here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFQBJVR

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Kananaskis Grizzly by xzzy77, on Flickr

I now have way more respect for wildlife dudes, I took this at 600mm on a crop sensor and still felt like I was too close to the bear (maybe 100 yards? not all sure). I still had to crop massively (original is 6000x4000, crop is 2328x1863). So those folks that can get those ridiculous up close face shots are loving bonkers. When I got home I started looking in to 2x extenders.

Also a moose.

Kananaskis Moose by xzzy77, on Flickr

Am curious if anyone can nitpick any funny business with colors on this one. It was taken in the blue hour and I tried to warm it up, and can't decide if I hosed up so more eyes might help.

Nice bear pic. Close up shots are, I assume, a mixture of fieldcraft (getting close with an acceptable level of risk), luck, and careful cropping. Plus a great deal of time spent editing.

The moose picture looks good to me. If you're feeling it's too blue, blame the sedges - Carex aquatilis is slightly blue-green; that's how I was taught to ID it when doing veg surveys in restored wetlands. But the colour of the moose's fur looks right.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
For anyone interested in wildlife pictures, can't recommend Browns Park Wildlife Refuge in CO enough. Made me wish I had longer lenses and was a better photographer.

This guy was on the trail at Gates of Lodore

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Went to the San Diego Safari Park a couple of weeks ago and did the "Cheetah Safari" as part of an anniversary gift from my wife. It was pretty cool. The whole experience lasts for about an hour, and you get to meet the Cheetahs up close and personal. It's also quite phenomenal to see her run past you at 60mph. We got to see two runs, and on the second one, I was SO SURE that I'd be able to get a direct shot of her running past... but I was too slow, and only got her tail in those shots.

I got these though, which I kind of like.

Cheetah Running Close-Up by SneezeParty, on Flickr

Cheetah Chasing a Lure by SneezeParty, on Flickr

Cheetah Portrait by SneezeParty, on Flickr

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 18, 2019

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Nice cheetahs.

I was at Disney a few weeks ago:

Sumatran Tiger
Sumatran Tiger
Gorilla baby
Gorilla baby

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Those are all really awesome. Are these glass enclosures or are they open air? Never been to Disney's zoo.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Both. The gorillas were shot through glass. The mom and baby were right up against it. The tiger is open air but there is a metal mesh or bars (depending on the viewing area) to keep guests out. The holes in the mesh are just big enough to shoot through.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

These images were stacked in my web browser and I thought they were double-decker squirrels.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

spent an afternoon at the Copenhagen Zoo

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
One of a bunch I took while encountering a super chill fox north of the grand tetons

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Shooting caiman from a boat at night was an interesting experience. They submerge if they see too much light, so you only have time to bang away for a moment before they disappear.

Paleosuchus trigonatus by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Caiman crocodilus? by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A 3am intruder trying to escape from the cat.

I've put a plastic ring over their likely intrusion vector so hopefully no more early morning surprises.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I didn't realize that first one it was leaning on a light bulb and I thought it was in the process of trying to ward off you/your cat with scary claws. Super cool, I wouldn't have thought to get my camera out. I'd be too focused on catching it in a bucket. :v:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
loving lol "hold up i gotta get my camera first before dealing with this"

very cool though

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Amazing photos.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Atlatl posted:

loving lol "hold up i gotta get my camera first before dealing with this"

very cool though

This was mid dealing, the chase started in the lounge room, moved to the bedroom where this was snapped on a phone, and ended with a towel thrown over it and getting carried downstairs.

This is the second time I've had to deal with this possum this week. I figured he would have learned that a cat that is very keen on killing it lives in the apartment, but no.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Sometimes wildlife works better in mono.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Can't believe that I've lived like 1/4 a mile from a nature preserve for almost 3 years now and haven't wandered around in it until now. Also, how did it take this long for me to get a 70-200/2.8?

The Grove by charliebravo77, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

charliebravo77 posted:

Can't believe that I've lived like 1/4 a mile from a nature preserve for almost 3 years now and haven't wandered around in it until now. Also, how did it take this long for me to get a 70-200/2.8?

Oh my!

Fashion Buck logo-5392 on Flickr

and a through-dirty-glass picture of the tiny paw of a baby skunk that fell asleep on it's back in my backyard...

Baby Skunk foot in air-9963 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Trip to Yellowstone. Not much big mammals around Jackson right now. Some small mammals though! This is heavily cropped but in my defense dude is tiny.

Jackson Weasel-0038 by on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I found a tree that is super popular with the Hummingbirds.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

theHUNGERian posted:

I found a tree that is super popular with the Hummingbirds.

Never leave. I get nice hummingbird pics but they're all with feeder backgrounds. They're such brave little things, they get used to people being close so fast.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just got back from Yellowstone, a few early edits...

Elk Crossing River logo-1262 on Flickr

Bison in front of Aspen-6907 on Flickr

Bison scenic-7032 on Flickr

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Finally found a buck in the local woods. Doesn't hurt that I was looking near sunset in the week or so leading up to the rut.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I sold both my kidneys and went on a Polar Bear trip

(was totally worth it)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

What a great photo. :haw:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Churchill or somewhere else?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I'm headed on what might be the same trip in a few weeks, and am having a hard time landing on a lens configuration to take. I've got a Canon 5Dm4, and I'm taking my 24-70 for sure but my indecision comes with the telephoto choices. Normally I would take all the lenses, but I've got a 50 lb weight limit for anything that isn't me.

I've got the Canon 70-200 2.8, the 100-400, and a 1.4 III extender. I was originally thinking about renting a 300mm f2.8, but don't know if I want to budget 10% of my weight allowance for that. Maybe the 70-200 with the extender would work since it might be snowy and I don't think light will be an issue? My coworkers are all "gently caress clothes, take glass".

What'd you take with you?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How many miles will you have to carry your gear on your back? Because that weight feels heavier over time and bringing both a 70-200 and a 100-400 is going to be super redundant. If someone else is hauling the gear though, gently caress it, bring it all.

My advice is to only bring the longest focal length you can manage. I saw a grizzly over the summer and was a "reasonably safe" distance from it (100 meters or more) and shot it at 600mm on a crop sensor.. and I still ended up deleting 70% of the pixels with a crop.

If this trip can guarantee you getting a lot closer to the animals then maybe you don't need to go overboard on focal length. But in that case I hope they have shotguns because polar bears are the homicidal maniacs of the bear world.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

Churchill or somewhere else?
Wilderness around Churchill area (50km north and a second location 100km east).

I brought my 600, 100-400, and 24-70 and used all quite heavily. My wife brought her 300, 70-200, and 16-35 and ended up just using her 300 (with 1.4 and 2 TC). We had crazy weight limits as well and basically blew 2/3 of our limit on just glass and tripods. If I had to do it again I think I would take a monopod instead because there was about 10km of hiking each day unless the bears were right at the camp.

xzzy posted:

My advice is to only bring the longest focal length you can manage.
This x 1000. Default stopping distance when approaching a bear was 100m out, but sometimes we'd get lucky and have the bears walk in closer.

[edit] That photo above was cropped just a tiny amount to straighten the photo but is otherwise full frame at 840mm. That is as close as we ever got to the bears.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 4, 2019

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
This is kinda on-topic for yall, is the canon 70-300 L solid for wildlife hikes? I don't have a telephoto yet other than the cheapo 55-250 and wanted something that would be reasonable for hikes where I live in the mountains, plus I have a trip to Costa Rica planned in January that I wanted something telephoto for as well. Not approaching anything insane like bears unless I run into black bears up here, mostly wanting to do local birds and wildlife. Seems to be a pretty well liked lens with more reach than a 70-200.

Should mention that the gently used 70-300L's are about half of what a 100-400 is, so that does play into it some.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
300 on full frame doesn't have a ton of reach, but you should be able to get some decent shots of medium sized birds and animals that are used to people. If that one's compatible with a 2x tc or something that might help. More reach is always better, but if the 400 isn't in your budget then don't worry about it too much, you'd only get a little more out of it anyways.

drat, nice. I thought it was holding the flower on its chest like a pinup for a second.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm assuming this was a pre-snow trip?

I've got a trip to Yellowstone in January, so I'm about to have to go on a cold weather gear spending binge. I've not done a proper snow trip before and the south of the UK really isn't cold. A decent down jacket, snow boots (UK shops have a terrible selection of snow boots), warm trousers, hats, gloves, base layers, all at once is going to add up...

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For gloves, get something with removable fingertips. Valleret is the high roller boutique option, but they do make a good product.