Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Wirth1000 posted:

Two rookies who have no idea how to set a car up not necessarily due to ability but really inexperience is such a stereotypical gently caress up seen countless times in quite honestly every motorsport series that just lol... just lol.

It’s true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

"The Toronto Screwjob"

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

marshalljim posted:

He's competent+, has a personality, and still has plenty of good years left in him. All that makes him really valuable to the series. In the absence of decisive amounts of sponsorbux, it's not hard to see how no one team would want to be the one to actually let him race, though.

Plus he's the only Canadian and a big draw for Toronto. I bet the series is working behind the scenes to put something together for him.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

gret posted:

Plus he's the only Canadian and a big draw for Toronto. I bet the series is working behind the scenes to put something together for him.

lol says who

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

lol says who

The organizers of the Indy Toronto, and Honda Canada. Apparently.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

red gloves rule

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Hinch to Pinty's series, calling it now

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

We lost Greg Moore 20 years ago today. Marshall Pruett uploaded the following, so I thought I'd pass it on for the unaware:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arl_VOXJeAk

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I always forget that race was on Halloween.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Penske now owns IMS and the series itself.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

iwentdoodie posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...e7de_story.html

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iwentdoodie posted:

Welp, that's a thing

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Call me crazy but that sounds like a conflict of interest.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Big Huski Boi posted:

Ya think?? This is nuts.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

loving whoa

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I bet the series wasn’t even half the price of the track.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Hulmans were pretty incompetent anyway. I’m not sure if this is such a bad thing.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
This also means that CART won.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I’ll take Penske over a group of investors or some poo poo buying the series.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Big Huski Boi posted:

As opposed to Vision Racing / ECR?

I don't see this as a bad thing. The Hulman family has obviously been hurting for money - they sold Clabber Girl this year, whereas Penske's other businesses could probably fund Indycar at a loss indefinitely.

Maybe I'm crazy but I don't think that Roger is going to go and try to use series ownership to his own advantage at this point in life. He's already the winningest owner by any measure, and by a margin large enough that it's basically impossible for that to change in his lifetime. He also very personally knows the reality of the Indy 500 without the teams and drivers everyone wants to see.

I'd expect him to put most of the control of the track and series under someone other than Tim Cindric and call it good.

As long as he doesn't sell to ISC.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

what is the accomplishment in winning your own series?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

I’ll take Penske over a group of investors or some poo poo buying the series.

Well yeah

IOwnCalculus posted:

As opposed to Vision Racing / ECR?

That's a hell of a lot different.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Big Huski Boi posted:

Well yeah

That's a hell of a lot different.

Because TG was incompetent at everything, sure

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Frond posted:

This also means that CART won.

Look at the schedule and the cars. CART won a cultural victory years ago, this just makes it official.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Because TG was incompetent at everything, sure

Because the owner of the most dominant team in the sport outright buying the track and the series is not remotely comparable to a member of the track ownership starting a lovely irrelevant team.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Theris posted:

Look at the schedule and the cars. CART won a cultural victory years ago, this just makes it official.

It’s a Pyrrhic victory. The series is showing a slight improvement though but it’s from the depths.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Theris posted:

Tony George: Our series is running your road courses & wearing your blue jeans!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
*shrug* no different from AXR and IMSA

Penske should be a good steward of the sport, and I know his kids are into racing themselves, at least Jay is, with a Formula E team that he runs.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lol this is the best thing that could have happened to open wheel racing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Roger Penske is 420 years old so I don't know what happens when he goes

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm pretty sure Roger is smart enough to leave things to someone other than his kids.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think Jay is pretty competent.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think Ferrucci becoming one of the top drivers would be one of the few things to get me to actually stop following IndyCar, other than Tony George getting appointed chairman again or something.

Well, the last thing isn’t happening now.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I'll take an optimistic approach to this. Penske loves the place and it could've fallen into far worse hands.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Incredible job by Tony George squandering and selling literally everything his family built and wanted to pass down. Cool!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I'll take an optimistic approach to this. Penske loves the place and it could've fallen into far worse hands.

I’m in this camp. One of my coworkers is already doom and gloom, but overall I think this will be positive for both the track and the series. Since Mary Hulman’s death, there’s been a lot of infighting in the family and I don’t know that the passion is there to continue owning the series/track.

Hulman Co sold off Clabber Girl last year, what else do they have left?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

PenskeCar 2020: Drivers, start your Rogers!

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cygni posted:

Incredible job by Tony George squandering and selling literally everything his family built and wanted to pass down. Cool!

It was a colossal waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I find it pretty telling that basically nobody talks about the 96-02 period of the IRL, which was probably the purest form of his vision.