Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Those multisegment Pokemon always weird me out

How come you can only keep one tiny Caterpie in a Pokeball but all three Dugtrio, six Exeggcute, and however many of those guys get to ride together?

unbreakable bond of friendship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
while upset that so many of my friends are getting axed, I'm mostly resigned to it at this point. :sigh:
Although, lmao that charizard is in but every other starter was told to gently caress off. If they had one or two other gens with a little bit of starter representation it'd be less blatant, but no, charizard sells the most plushies so everyone else can go sit on an icicle.

I think the most we can hope for would be if/when they do SparklingDiamond and ShiningPearl or whatever, that there's a compatibility patch to add in whatever new pokes are there so that people can fight between games. Granted, it's a *slim* hope, because they didn't do anything of the sort for ORAS's new megas, but it's a new console, so, maybe easier to patch? :shrug:

Although, given that Home hasn't even been launched yet, this discussion is currently pointless anyways :v:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Yikes, I didn't expect the dexit to be that devastating.

Fortunately there's like 10 new mons I want to use in my playthrough anyway.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
80 completely new Pokemon + 14 Pokemon with new forms = 94. I imagine we're near the end of the reveals, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see around six-seven new Pokemon of some kind to bring the number to around 100. Not bad at all.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I can get why a lot of people are sad, and some of my favorites definitely didn't make it either, but I have been trying to use new Pokemon over old ones and this definitely helps push me that way. I'm still excited after all the spoilers yesterday. That said, I'm also probably going to be a little bit of a tool and may find myself using Pikachu for his gigamax. Probably name him Brimley.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Flapple has flapped its way into my heart

Probably just met a new top-five pokemon for me in today's leaks

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

No Porygon line has me seriously bummed out. :( I was prepared to be okay with a lot of cuts but not Porygon. :cry:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If the Charmander line is staying then you better at least be able to find them in the wild in this game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Larryb posted:

If the Charmander line is staying then you better at least be able to find them in the wild in this game.

You get it from Leon after you beat him. Essentially Charmander is the Beldum of this game.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Blaziken386 posted:

I think the most we can hope for would be if/when they do SparklingDiamond and ShiningPearl or whatever, that there's a compatibility patch to add in whatever new pokes are there so that people can fight between games. Granted, it's a *slim* hope, because they didn't do anything of the sort for ORAS's new megas, but it's a new console, so, maybe easier to patch? :shrug:

They have a consistent history of never patching in new content, version compatibility, or quality of life fixes in Pokémon games. The expectation is always "pay for the newest version". I'd be incredibly happy if this trend changed, but I'm not counting on it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

If that brand new world song from the dynamax trailer plays when you face leon or whatever then all sins will be forgiven

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

If I remember correctly, they said upfront the winner of the vote would be distributed as a shiny event mon or whatever, and as such it horribly skewed all the votes
Oh, this is lame then. But I might do it with the reddit list because that was guaranteed to be meaningless.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Mizuti posted:

They have a consistent history of never patching in new content, version compatibility, or quality of life fixes in Pokémon games. The expectation is always "pay for the newest version". I'd be incredibly happy if this trend changed, but I'm not counting on it.

Yeah I think the expectation might be different on the Switch though, Nintendo might be like "yo we're cultivating this expectation of supporting our games and expanding on them long term so you have to do something". I'm sort of expecting this one to have some sort of DLC or expansion at least if not a patch or two that add something. Even if it's just a couple pokemon on a relatively small island you take a boat to or something.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dexit is good because it has allowed them to add a massive pile of new mons/formes without worrying about bloating the dex.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

If that brand new world song from the dynamax trailer plays when you face leon or whatever then all sins will be forgiven

For about ten seconds I thought you were talking about A Whole New World from Aladdin and was confused, but still on board with the idea.

Re: Dexit, a bit sad to lose some of my favorites (I play through the first time with only new guys, but I like bringing in old buddies/shinies I've caught to check out new features, like petting all my Good Dogs in Pokemon Ami) and not knowing if they'll be back in the next game or three games from now kinda sucks, but there's so many neat designs among the Galar pokemon that I'm still excited for SwSh. Wooloo. :3:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Dexit is good because it has allowed them to add a massive pile of new mons/formes without worrying about bloating the dex.

i would say deleting half the pokemon is about the worst case outcome of 'bloated dex' concerns so suffice to say they worried about it lol

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah I think the expectation might be different on the Switch though, Nintendo might be like "yo we're cultivating this expectation of supporting our games and expanding on them long term so you have to do something". I'm sort of expecting this one to have some sort of DLC or expansion at least if not a patch or two that add something. Even if it's just a couple pokemon on a relatively small island you take a boat to or something.
Given the fact that their release schedule is "release a new game every year or die" DLC will literally never happen

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blaziken386 posted:

while upset that so many of my friends are getting axed, I'm mostly resigned to it at this point. :sigh:
Although, lmao that charizard is in but every other starter was told to gently caress off. If they had one or two other gens with a little bit of starter representation it'd be less blatant, but no, charizard sells the most plushies so everyone else can go sit on an icicle.

Although, given that Home hasn't even been launched yet, this discussion is currently pointless anyways :v:

No patch and when DP remakes are out, those will be the ones to use in VGC so these regionals and others will not be eligible to play competitive.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Well y'see we needed a new mono-water fish because of Dexit and- hm, what's that? Goldeen/Seaking AND Basculin, you say?

Oh.

I'd already decided not to buy a Switch just for Pokemon before some recent financial "oh gently caress"ery so I'm not that messed up about this. But the vast majority of my "trained destroyers" box is not making the jump which, y'know, would suck more if I'd been planning on buying a Switch. Maybe for the 3rd version or sequel.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
If you really want to debloat the dex, get rid of all the gen IV legendaries.

Get rid of gen IV while you're at it, let's pretend it never happened.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ka0 posted:

No

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Lets pretend this post never happened instead.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I can see them doing reintroduction of Dexit-ed Pokemon via raids like in Go.

"Hey Trainers! Professor Soandso is hearing reports of an orange dragon in the Wild Area! Team up with three of your friends, and if you are skilled enough to defeat and capture this unknown Pokemon, you may see other members of its family appearing outside the raid area!"

And then you can find dratini in the wild and transfer poo poo over from Home.

It would definitely help with keeping non-competitive/non-shiny hunters engaged throughout the life of the game.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Ka0 posted:

As long as we keep Vespiquen

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

omnibobb posted:

"Hey Trainers! Professor Soandso is hearing reports of an orange dragon in the Wild Area! Team up with three of your friends, and if you are skilled enough to defeat and capture this unknown Pokemon, you may see other members of its family appearing outside the raid area!"

It would definitely help with keeping non-competitive/non-shiny hunters engaged throughout the life of the game.

I like this idea. I have a feeling it would infuriate people though.

Just checked out reddit, they're in a full meltdown. It's exhausting to read.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Can someone do me a solid and repost the ice cube pengi? Thanks and namaste.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Araxxor posted:

You get it from Leon after you beat him. Essentially Charmander is the Beldum of this game.

Ugh Christ. How many of these little bastards does gamefreak have to stuff down our throats? I already don't like the whole "gift pokemon" in game gimmick, but making it a pokemon that we get handed every loving generation makes it worse. I've been given like five of these guys at this point.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Pentaro posted:

Can someone do me a solid and repost the ice cube pengi? Thanks and namaste.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Runestone Cofagrigus is extremely good

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Ugh Christ. How many of these little bastards does gamefreak have to stuff down our throats? I already don't like the whole "gift pokemon" in game gimmick, but making it a pokemon that we get handed every loving generation makes it worse. I've been given like five of these guys at this point.

Every game until you like it.

Still the most terrible and uninspired design this generation, jesus christ.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

qnqnx posted:

It's cute.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Maybe the gimmick is that as it takes damage the cube melts away. Or if you have it in your party for too long under the sunlight, I don't know.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

qnqnx posted:

Coalossal tho

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

omnibobb posted:

this definitely isn't happening

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Just noticed that Kingler is still in. Dunno how popular Kingler is, but I'm glad there still isn't really anything better to fill the 'literally just a crab' niche.

I briefly kept a little fidler crab in a tank when I was a kid. I named it Kingler, and I buried it when it died. :japan:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I know the new deisgns and Dexit are the big topics of discussion right now, but have any of the leakers talked about post game content?

The last couple of gens have had anemic post-games, especially gen 6. I'm really hoping there is something more than just a battle tower and the inevitable Looker sidquest.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DemoneeHo posted:

I know the new deisgns and Dexit are the big topics of discussion right now, but have any of the leakers talked about post game content?

The last couple of gens have had anemic post-games, especially gen 6. I'm really hoping there is something more than just a battle tower and the inevitable Looker sidquest.

Just a battle tower unless I’ve missed any additional leaks.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Last I had heard was an "Episode 2" that lasts about two hours

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

THE loving MOON posted:

Just noticed that Kingler is still in. Dunno how popular Kingler is, but I'm glad there still isn't really anything better to fill the 'literally just a crab' niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

qnqnx posted:

Less legendaries is good, but the approach of merely throwing them in the dustin of history is really, not good.
Had GF been more competent and less averse to making changes to older pokemon bar a few stat boosts, a better approach could be making some mythicals and legendaries lose that status, merely just very rare.
For example, Zeraora has no goddamn reason being mythical, Latios and Latias are also known to have whole hidden populations, the Ultra Beasts are supposedly common in their own worlds.
Of course this can cuts on the issue of artificial scarcity, which seems that GF really wants to upheld with mythical pokemon and Egg Group Undiscovered in favor of merely getting these pokemon through completely uneventful distributions.

Yeah, turning legendaries into rares would be fun.