Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I saw some dude on /r/xmen who tried to make the argument that because X-Men 2099 had higher sales numbers in 1993 than most books in 2019 that they would be instantly recognizable :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I remember SKULLFIRE because that was the most 90's name ever.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

I remember SKULLFIRE because that was the most 90's name ever.

Ghost Rider?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Infinitum posted:

Have some good art from Beastars to balance out the :barf:

I don't know why but there's something I really like about the way this page looks in particular (especially the first panel):

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Oh man, that OLFA blade isn't good for stabbing. Also the snout looks too short when facing reader.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The bigger question is, can you name a single character on that cover?

I thought the dude on the right with the facial buttress might be Gambit before I saw the 2099... does that count?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MH Knights posted:

So did anyone actually die?

Apparently it was Serperntina.

quote:

(She) Went on the mission to rescue the rest of her teammates from the Synge's hotel in Las Vegas, along with Fitzgerald and Shakti. After freeing Metalscream and Meanstreak, the group continued on their mission to find Krystalin and Xi'an. Again, the traitor Junkpile showed up and again Serpentina jumped to attack him. This time he slammed her face-first into a wall. Fitzgerald ran over to check on her but yelled out that she wasn't breathing. After Xi'an emerged from his cocoon and defeated Junkpile, he went to heal her, but her life was already gone. After their escape, the rest of the X-Men buried her body in the desert.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I saw some dude on /r/xmen who tried to make the argument that because X-Men 2099 had higher sales numbers in 1993 than most books in 2019 that they would be instantly recognizable :downs:

That book had a three year run. Imagine a book as niche and dubious as X-Men 2099 getting 36 issues in 2019.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was a whole 2099 imprint so it didn't exist in a vacuum. Hell it had a spinoff that had just launched when Marvel had it's crash.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Still better than the mangaverse. The 90s were goofy but early 00s Marvel... :yikes:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That was my first reaction as well but I largely checked out of regularly reading comics a long time ago and just assumed I was in the dark due to how they were drawn.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Let me think-- clockwise from the big ugly gargoyle, Blood Wind, Skullfire (?), Cerebra, Mean Streak (or Speed Freak, something like that), Serpentina, I forget his code-name but Xi'an, Crysta or Crystal, and I don't know, Heavy Metal or Junk Pile or something.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Archyduchess posted:

Let me think-- clockwise from the big ugly gargoyle, Blood Wind, Skullfire (?), Cerebra, Mean Streak (or Speed Freak, something like that), Serpentina, I forget his code-name but Xi'an, Crysta or Crystal, and I don't know, Heavy Metal or Junk Pile or something.

Metalhead! I know this because he was my favourite action figure, though he had turned into a metal Hulk at that point for some reason.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Archyduchess posted:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I don't know why but there's something I really like about the way this page looks in particular (especially the first panel):

I think it looks fine, other than the motion lines being a touch off. If you removed half of the motion lines, or all of them, it's a much better panel.

The other great thing about Beastars, other than it being really well written and drawn, is that the author, Paru Itagaki, is the daughter of Keisuke Itagaki; the mangaka behind Baki the Grappler

I believe I've posted Baki a few times, because it's an acquired taste, but it's basically What Are Proportions The Manga

Bonus - Hannma bossing George W. Bush around panel

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There was one X-Men 2099 character who turned his hand into a green skeletal hand and I thought that poo poo was freaking amazing and he was my new favourite character. I don't remember his name now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gonna go out on a limb and say that was probably Skullfire

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Xi'an had a gross green hand and a slick gold hand.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I think it looks fine, other than the motion lines being a touch off. If you removed half of the motion lines, or all of them, it's a much better panel.

The other great thing about Beastars, other than it being really well written and drawn, is that the author, Paru Itagaki, is the daughter of Keisuke Itagaki; the mangaka behind Baki the Grappler

I believe I've posted Baki a few times, because it's an acquired taste, but it's basically What Are Proportions The Manga

Bonus - Hannma bossing George W. Bush around panel

baki art rules and tradd moore’s stuff reminds me of it a lot

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
hanma yuujiro is basically luther strode

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Infinitum posted:

There was this really weird period in the 90s and early 00s where anime was just straight up referred to as Japanimation.

Could swear that name was around in the '80s.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

prefect posted:

Could swear that name was around in the '80s.

I first heard it in the late '80s, but it wasn't common until later.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Woof, gonna have to agree that Baki's art is an acquired taste, one I have not been able to acquire. It looks painful just to be those people.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Woof, gonna have to agree that Baki's art is an acquired taste, one I have not been able to acquire. It looks painful just to be those people.

its beautiful when the picture quality is good enough to see the smooth linework and inking

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

grappler baki's art is transcendent

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I love baki, but it's fine not to like baki, because baki's loving insane. baki is completely off-the-rails nuts and the art reflects that adequately

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It shares some of that with Luther Strode but yeah it's like, significantly more bananas. Although Luther STrode is extremely bananas in its own right

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tradd Moore is seriously something else. Silver Surfer: Black was weird and I can't really say I give a poo poo about Cates' whole Knull thing, but man that was some gorgeous art.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tradd Moore owns so hard.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Tradd Moore owns so hard.

I believe him and Murata are the best current artist at drawing and communicating the sense of impact in comics.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tradd Moore has a very unconventional grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KINonpe4YU

and furthermore,

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 6, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A 50 second speed drawing video has to be one of the worst things I've ever seen, it's Draw The Rest Of The Owl in video form.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Tradd Moore has a very unconventional grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KINonpe4YU

and furthermore,

tradd moores ghost rider is maybe the best superhero comic book art since jack kirby

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Tradd Moore is so awesome. In the background of All New Ghost-Rider #4 he gives Cyclops of the X-men the coolest aesthetic he's had in quite a while (maybe ever). And it's just graffiti in the background of a ghost rider

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Reading through the first Marvel Zombies Omnibus recently and goddammit how did Greg Land ever get as high up as he did

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Reading through the first Marvel Zombies Omnibus recently and goddammit how did Greg Land ever get as high up as he did

Dude can deliver a book on time and for publishing houses that's better than good art.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
he sends nude versions of his art to editors as bribes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Or threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

site posted:

You mean "the source material".

I'd call out scary ghost dog for his Tradd Moore comments, but I've just seen him defending wife-beating in another thread so I know he's trolling.