Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'll take another too while you're at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Wait what?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm an update late, but yessssss, I went out the same way I came into this world: kicking, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood. :black101:

redwarf me, please. I'll take whatever is available, as I've met my stated goal for this fort.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Am I dead?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

That was... abrupt. Do we have another overseer queued up?

Not even going to ask about my dorf, I'm assuming Black Robe II is just as good at hiding in a corner as my first incarnation was.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
I've been following this for quite some time, and though I've got another project I've been working on, but what the hell, I'd be willing to step up to the plate as overseer if nobody else wants to. I'm not an expert player by any means, but I do have a good amount of experience with it and I've been on a DF kick for a while now.

This fortress has been running for a drat long time and I'd hate to see it stop now. We've have to make it until next year, at the very least.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

The file is up on the discord:

https://discord.gg/7Xd4KE

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

GruntMountain posted:

The file is up on the discord:

https://discord.gg/7Xd4KE

Alright, I'll be taking a look at it tonight! I the meantime, I'll make a list of everyone who has requested to be dorfed.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm very happy my dwarf has just been doing fine as a child this entire time.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
If I died can I get a ré dwarfing please?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Alright, got some graphical issues sorted out that's held me up. The HUD will have to use default font, because Phoebus was screwing up for some reason, but the game graphics are still Phoebus. (Never had issues with Phoebus before, but whatever.) Next update should only take me a little bit more time to get done after this setback.

If those requesting re-dwarfing don't mind being a human, there's a few of 'em about the fortress open for names. For now I'll stick to naming just the dwarves, but tell me if you don't mind being a human.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
This fortress seems to be heading for the legends, dwarf / human me please.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Granite 1, 573

My name is Nemen Newwilt- Enginathob in the human tongue. Though unusual as it may be, I took up the customs of these dwarves and gave myself a nickname as well, "Twybil", in the hopes they would accept me.

I have seen ninety two seasons, and now, in the dusk of my long life, I find myself within a volcanic dwarven fortress, many of its smallfolk devoid of hope. Many have lost sight of what is beautiful in this world, and I can understand why.

Strewn about the base of this mountain are endless piles of mutilated corpses and limbs. These corpses are both those of my enemy and my friends, and they continue to rise to kill us unless mutilated.

Nonetheless, I was up since the crack of dawn, my aged bones begging me to lie down and accept fate, but I am not done yet with this world. I came to this place chasing the answers to legends that occupied my mind since but a young child. I will not abandon this place for while I have been here, I have witnessed true beauty.

The shimmering strands found in the deepest caverns spoke to my heart, their sonorous voices energizing my body. These must be preserved- the taint of this undead will not eradicate this people of such fine craftsmanship.

The previous "overseer", as the smallfolk call them, has called an end to their management, and hurries to stand on the battlefield alongside us. My heart quavers in horror at the sight of so much death, but it does not stir me to run, but to fight.

The first thing the light of the new day shone upon was the shambling, headless corpse of WampaPartyEX. A passing aquaintance, but a friend nonetheless. A friend who we will have to strike down again.

We can't keep this up forever, but nonetheless I still shout to my allies "there is death all around us, but we are not afraid!"

Granite 1, 573, Evening

Our troops and people need time to recuperate- time away from this never ending undead purge. If gathering the remaining metal amongst these bodies was not such a priority, I would immediately try to convince someone lock us off from the outside world with a drawbridge.

Regardless, as we continue to mash the resurrecting bodies of our allies we are slowly losing our chance to properly give our fallen brothers and sisters a coffin.

Granite 2, 573

Discussing this with the other troops, I have possibly come up with a solution to the issues with our mental burdens: we shall make a set of memorial halls to ease our troubled souls. I have noticed two in the process of creation- it will need to be finished.

I believe we can raise our spirits by showing off the beautiful works of craftsdwarfship we have and can make. I worked to inspire a few stoneworkers to make more statues to line our hallways. Nobody here should forget what glorious art we work to protect and maintain.

The miners chose a layout of their own. It's all a team effort from here on.

But it may be some time before we get there. The citizens are still worried about the long since dead dragon buried deep within the phallus of our giant protector and some have begun falling to depression already.

We are struggling to get the last stragglers inside for their fear of even a reanimated finger is enough to send them cowering. Dealing with more corpses, I yell at them to get inside as this is going nowhere. I'm ordering a shutdown and if the hammerer wants to take it up with me, fine.

Granite 4, 573

The retreat is going poorly for as soon as we began to move away, the undead started rising in droves. Sazkul Bouldermoss, a siege engineer, fell into depression and threw herself into the horde. Habeasdorkus III has already gone into mourning at the news. We were too late to save her, but we can't give up now.

Out of the soldiers, I'm the first to try and hold back the next horde. Palath defend me!

Granite 7, 573

...Still fighting, I hear a horn blowing over the horizon. It's human made, and it's not a friendly one.

Xenocides returns with the news. There's not many of them, but they're very well armed.

Another horn blows. Then another. And another.

Palath! Geshud! Gods, all of you, grant us courage!

I write this now as I head out to face our foes. It may be some time before I can write again, but be assured I will-

Slate 4th, 573: Account of an unknown dwarf-

The militia hasn't returned.

We know the humans are still out there, but in great irony, the death has become our greatest ally. Putrid misama fills the halls from the true entrance to the mountain, preventing the humans from trying to enter.

We are safe for now, but many of the others are losing what grasp they held on this world. We are operating without command, trying to train a new militia to defend ourselves and come up with plans to recover the artifacts now left in the rotting halls.

What lies ahead for us, we do not know.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Overseer's Summary:
Took nearly a week to get all the people back inside, human invasion happens trapping most of the military as I try to pull back to barricade us into the mountain. Military fights hard, but is overwhelmed. Due to widespread stress issues, zombies, and miasma, human invaders are only milling about outside now. The colossus has a kidney stone in the form of a dragon skeleton that people are still whining about. It took six days to go all Fun on me, and I'm pretty sure we've got an incoming loyalty cascade that I was trying to prevent as result.

Current Unit List:

If you don't see your name on the list, you were part of the casualties. If you wanted to know how you died, I can probably tell you.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 4, 2019

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hell yeah I'm still alive! What have i been getting up too in all this chaos

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

The universe really wants this fortress dead for some reason. Redwarf me as Space General when a spot opens up, please.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

verbal enema posted:

Hell yeah I'm still alive! What have i been getting up too in all this chaos

You've been completely oblivious of everything going on for the last year or so, making you one of the most mentally stable we have around. Aside from playing with a legendary toy boat, you've become quite a good farmer in your off time. You're a couple of months from growing up to be a 12 year old, useful adult dwarf.

GruntMountain posted:

The universe really wants this fortress dead for some reason. Redwarf me as Space General when a spot opens up, please.

Can do. We've actually still got a few unnamed dwarves to go.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Flying Twybil posted:

You've been completely oblivious of everything going on for the last year or so, making you one of the most mentally stable we have around. Aside from playing with a legendary toy boat, you've become quite a good farmer in your off time. You're a couple of months from growing up to be a 12 year old, useful adult dwarf.

I look forward to bashing some heads with that boat I hope

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
OK how did I die.

Also may I get redwarfed please.

I hope I died epically.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

You're alive, Ron, top of the second list. You're even highlighted.

I'm officially a suturer, it seems. I bet that's fun when everyone's being ground into a fine paste :v:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Looks like IPA Regulations III lived about as long as his predecessor.

I'd be interested to know how and to get back in please!

e: also jfc burn the world with dick lava like yesterday

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 4, 2019

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Black Robe posted:

You're alive, Ron, top of the second list. You're even highlighted.

I'm officially a suturer, it seems. I bet that's fun when everyone's being ground into a fine paste :v:

Ha! Thought the highlight was a border.

Glad I survived and am drinking.

In fact

:

Year 573
Dear Dairy.

I am drun an wilcontinue tbe so sjjdjensmsmmw jfjfhfkkcfhjb ooooo big jobs! . Then hi told hum tofuggin buuuurnmay ifui get killeyed.
Gdhdnnnjokkmk bbs jjdds, a mug of ale, geddoutta here.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Ahahahahahah, I'm still alive.

Please tell me my dwarf has been as boring and useless as possible for as long as possible and has had no remarkable adventures at all.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Meditating on nightmares makes a lot of sense given the present circumstances. Also, how did the dragon end up in the lava duct? Did it get back up and walk into it?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'd like another dwarfing if there's that many nameless dwarfs running around.

Also,

habeasdorkus posted:

Meditating on nightmares makes a lot of sense given the present circumstances. Also, how did the dragon end up in the lava duct? Did it get back up and walk into it?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

IPA Regulations posted:

Looks like IPA Regulations III lived about as long as his predecessor.

I'd be interested to know how and to get back in please!

e: also jfc burn the world with dick lava like yesterday

Funny you should mention that, because you died heroically on a mission to burn the world with dick lava. You were intercepted by humans and your steel helmet gave out on you while one was beating on your head with a war hammer. Still working on a plan to try and melt all the humans, it's gonna take some time with everyone throwing a fit about dragons and inaccessible everything though.

E: One correction, you survived having your helmet being smashed in, but you got strangled.

PurpleXVI posted:

Ahahahahahah, I'm still alive.

Please tell me my dwarf has been as boring and useless as possible for as long as possible and has had no remarkable adventures at all.

Your dwarf has done nothing special, with the only notable thing being that your spouse in gay marriage is a fish cleaner who had some sort of involvement with a war over a decade ago. That's about it.

habeasdorkus posted:

No clue how it got in there, it just did. If it's resurrecting, it's immediately being shut down by the magma but not burning because its a dragon. I haven't noticed it making any progress.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 4, 2019

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

The dragon has been there since at least Sankis' reign. Its reanimation, if that's what's happening, is super weird. Either it shouldn't be active at all because of the lava burning it or it should always be active because dragons aren't supposed to burn and it can't drown anymore.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Having ejaculated lava everywhere the collosus needs to take a leak and seal the dragon in obsidian.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I keep being surprised to see myself alive. I guess I just keep quietly doing my thing.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

GruntMountain posted:

The dragon has been there since at least Sankis' reign. Its reanimation, if that's what's happening, is super weird. Either it shouldn't be active at all because of the lava burning it or it should always be active because dragons aren't supposed to burn and it can't drown anymore.

I checked it in Legends and it doesn't seem to be reviving. If it has, it isn't showing up like a normal undead would.

On that note, I've got Legends open still, so if there's any great mysteries to uncover- it's here. I had it up just to track the unknown fuckery that is this dragon, but I can clear up any mysteries as to the origins of our living or dead dwarves. That toy boat, for instance, originated a from some far away place 200+ years ago.

idhrendur posted:

I keep being surprised to see myself alive. I guess I just keep quietly doing my thing.

Aside from creating a different toy boat a few years back, you just keep creating masterwork metal bars. Your dwarf is very good at his job, even though he's only an Adequate Metal Crafter.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

idhrendur posted:

Geshud doesn't want you.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

How did my dwarf die? Tell me she at least managed to use her crossbow properly.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Year 573
Feb or January.. Not sure.

Amendment:

Place is gone crazy. Everyone is running around losing their minds. No one is watching the booze stores.

Jackpot.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Looks like I died. I request the deets and a redwarf.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The dragon body was tossed into a magma channel during my turn in an attempt to seal it away. It should be far enough away from the evil biome part of the fort that it doesnt reanimate.

During one of the final sieges I had where a ton of undead were reanimating I did get a couple "because of dragon" cancelations but when I saved and reloaded they went away so I didn't think much of it or make note of it. My assumption is something about how the game reanimates bodies in waves is making the dwarves think it's mostly intact corpse is back alive.

Honestly if it seems like a bug and it's loving over the fort either move it or destroy it in dfhack. Theres no shortage of game end possibilities at this point.

Edit: you may want to think about getting rid of all the teeth outside too. They won't reanimates and there's probably hundreds. Should cut down on some bloat.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 4, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

HardDiskD posted:

How did my dwarf die? Tell me she at least managed to use her crossbow properly.

If I remember correctly, she got taken out in the hallway conflict near the end while trying to pull back and save what units I could. I think she insisted on charging in to defend the staircase instead. She did die to one of their better units though and I am quite sure she did at least manage to fire her crossbow.

AJ_Impy posted:

Looks like I died. I request the deets and a redwarf.

You died last year in autumn to Stockadedrip the Taxes of Splashing, also known as Gideon020's zombie, who you had actually managed to strike down once before. Your body has come back a few times, but it luckily hasn't managed to deal any damage.

Sankis posted:

The dragon body was tossed into a magma channel during my turn in an attempt to seal it away. It should be far enough away from the evil biome part of the fort that it doesnt reanimate.

During one of the final sieges I had where a ton of undead were reanimating I did get a couple "because of dragon" cancelations but when I saved and reloaded they went away so I didn't think much of it or make note of it. My assumption is something about how the game reanimates bodies in waves is making the dwarves think it's mostly intact corpse is back alive.

Honestly if it seems like a bug and it's loving over the fort either move it or destroy it in dfhack. Theres no shortage of game end possibilities at this point.

Edit: you may want to think about getting rid of all the teeth outside too. They won't reanimates and there's probably hundreds. Should cut down on some bloat.

I'll probably do that since the dragon is causing about double the job cancellation flood and is really holding me back from doing anything. I've got about 40 dwarves here who insist on storing items and they're too afraid to because of the kidney stone dragon.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Oh neat, I'm a Volmarias II now

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I know I'm still alive, but how am I doing?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

The Flying Twybil posted:

Funny you should mention that, because you died heroically on a mission to burn the world with dick lava. You were intercepted by humans and your steel helmet gave out on you while one was beating on your head with a war hammer. Still working on a plan to try and melt all the humans, it's gonna take some time with everyone throwing a fit about dragons and inaccessible everything though.

E: One correction, you survived having your helmet being smashed in, but you got strangled.

Better than I could have ever hoped for. No words. Thank you!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Volmarias posted:

Oh neat, I'm a Volmarias II now

Yeah, apparently Volmarias I was strangled by DeceitfulPenguin in a berserk rage about a year ago. The new Volmarias is likely going to have a mental breakdown soon, having the highest stress of anyone right now and "being harrowed by the utter tragedy that is their life."

PetraCore posted:

I know I'm still alive, but how am I doing?

Despite being only a child, not good actually. You're 8 years old and have a 31.4k stress value which is only about another 1000 away from a total breakdown. This is mostly due to seeing dead bodies and also apparently being haunted by the ghost of your dead father. You only have observer skill which lets me suppose that you haven't been doing much with your time, I guess.

Unfortunately, you're not the only child that is that mentally scarred, as one of them has 47.9k stress even though their recent experiences suggest a happy life.

IPA Regulations posted:

Better than I could have ever hoped for. No words. Thank you!

Just makes me happy to know that some good came out of that clusterfun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

RIP biosterous

please redwarf me as biiosterous (and lemme know how I corked it!)