Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

njsykora posted:

I enjoyed this.
agreed someone tweet it as a reply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

Apparently, if >50% of the public vote for something then it has to happen. I feel this may contradict some LibDem policy.

https://twitter.com/chukaumunna/status/1191403681561927681?s=21

Dammit I just made almost the exact same joke on Twitter. The Goon Hivemind is apparently real.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

The dude averaged 30 posts a day, every day, for 17 years. I hope he has another hobby to occupy himself with instead.
Installing vaginas (wood, metal, and uPVC).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm the 6% of lib dems that don't want to listen to swinson.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Which potential speaker is worse for us?

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Reading the comment section on a Corb tweet I'm wondering. Are Brits the biggest transphobes in the world or are the Russian bots just working overtime for the election?

https://twitter.com/Lorgar5/status/1191436925644787712?s=20

About a patient demanding a white doctor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Britain is very good at transphobia yes.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

This seems pretty handy for any arguments if you've not got a copy to hand already

Do you have this in not eye straining format?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sebzilla posted:

I'm glad he's dead

:hai:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
the tweet comments of any British political figure are rife with bots and idiots, and there's a decent chance, if they are bots or paid reply-guys, that they're run by the Tories or BREXIT rather than Russia

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

Which potential speaker is worse for us?

Bryant is a never Corbyn who quit the front bench during the chicken coup and endorsed Owen Smith as leader and sent round a round-robin email just before this election promising to reverse the "mistakes" of Bercow and restore the speaker to the role of an "umpire not a player" - also promised to call on minority parties with no default speaking rights (lib Dems) more frequently.

Hoyle is just the deputy speaker and very plain.

Bryant is objectively worse

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Computer, show me the dumbest poo poo.

https://twitter.com/guardianopinion/status/1191433567840006144

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The UK has extremely powerful transphobia. That particular person might be a bot but it could just as easy be a real Mumsnet poster.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also Bryant says he wants to restore PMQs to 30 mins - which perhaps is a net positive for my brain

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Could we restore PMQs to not existing at all?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Gove has endorsed Bryant which really is all we need to know

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Eschenique posted:

Reading the comment section on a Corb tweet I'm wondering. Are Brits the biggest transphobes in the world or are the Russian bots just working overtime for the election?

https://twitter.com/Lorgar5/status/1191436925644787712?s=20

About a patient demanding a white doctor.

There's definitely a lot of transphobia online, but touch wood I haven't had anything worse than a confused stare since I came out. That said I live in a large city so ymmv

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

There's definitely a lot of transphobia online, but touch wood I haven't had anything worse than a confused stare since I came out. That said I live in a large city so ymmv

If you believe the community on Mumsnet Jeremy Corbyn is leading an army of men who are transitioning into women solely to claim ownership of female spaces and force biological women out.

Mumsnet was always a bit weird but it’s astonishing just how hateful and vitriolic it’s become in recent years, I’ve no idea what happened.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

And they'd be right, I've been occupying a McDonald's ladies room for three years now. I won't rest until we have piss stained lebensraum

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

edit: my one liner is poo poo. basically pollys dumb the guardian is dumb and libs in general would rather gently caress us all into another 40 years of slow death than bend the knee to their political betters

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just thinking..
in the spirit of abusers everywhere accusing people of doing what they are in fact doing themselves (eg having affairs, having no friends, opening their legs to any man who looks at them etc etc):

Tories accuse Corbyn of being a Trot - yet Johnson appoints real life trot to be his Director of No 10 Policy Unit
Tories accuse Corbyn of being in the pay of the Ruskies - yet Cummings is or has been up to something dodgy with the Ruskies (don't ask me what!)
Tories accuse Corbyn of wanting to take the UK back to the 70s in terms of State control - yet the tories are planning the biggest expansion of the state since the 70s. (again, don't ask me what, I've been out all day catching things on my phone).

What else?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Mumsnet was always a bit weird but it’s astonishing just how hateful and vitriolic it’s become in recent years, I’ve no idea what happened.

TERFs realised that with the conversation around trans people largely moving to trans children they could do a lot of damage by turning parents against trans people early on. Combine that with Mumsnet's increased political power since their guidelines are what informs a lot of public wi-fi filters and it was a natural progression for them.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just thinking..
in the spirit of abusers everywhere accusing people of doing what they are in fact doing themselves (eg having affairs, having no friends, opening their legs to any man who looks at them etc etc):

Tories accuse Corbyn of being a Trot - yet Johnson appoints real life trot to be his Director of No 10 Policy Unit
Tories accuse Corbyn of being in the pay of the Ruskies - yet Cummings is or has been up to something dodgy with the Ruskies (don't ask me what!)
Tories accuse Corbyn of wanting to take the UK back to the 70s in terms of State control - yet the tories are planning the biggest expansion of the state since the 70s. (again, don't ask me what, I've been out all day catching things on my phone).

What else?

being a trot is the greatest evil

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Eschenique posted:

1: possibly- depends how many washed up 90s sitcom chaff have active twitter accounts in any given week and a complex equation performed in the offices of the daily mail as to exactly where the hate should be going (and what it means for housing prices)

2: most of the bots on corbs twitter are still of the football and fascism variety indicative of a home groan approach but I'm sure given some time ol' vlad will show up even if it's more of a cameo role

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Ronya, I had another look at the 23-page PDF you replied to me with, and there's something in the conclusion that I disagree with.

quote:

The problem addressed in this paper is a classic one: the optimal redistribution of income. A utilitarian social planner would like to transfer resources from high-ability individuals to low-ability individuals, but he is constrained by the fact that he cannot directly observe ability. In conventional analysis, the planner observes only income, which depends on ability and effort, and is deterred from the fully egalitarian outcome because taxing income discourages effort.

No, a utilitarian social planner would not like to transfer resources from high-ability individuals to low-ability individuals, they would want to transfer resources from individuals with lots of resources to individuals with few resources. As the paragraph above notes, one cannot directly observe ability, so it is nonsense to assume it correlates to those with more resources at their disposal. It is also nonsense to say that income depends only on ability and effort, unless that is meant to be a non-exhaustive list. The idea that taxing income discourages effort is further nonsense - see the high rate of entrepeneurship in Norway, which I think has something to do with the fact that you are unlikely to starve if your business fails because of social democracy. Also, increased income is still increased income unless the marginal tax rate is 100%+.

quote:

If the planner’s problem is made more realistic by allowing him to observe other variables correlated with ability, such as height, he should use those other variables in addition to income for setting optimal policy. Our calculations show that a utilitarian social planner should levy a sizeable tax on height. A tall person making $50,000 should pay about $4,500 more in taxes than a short person making the same income.

No, the planner should tax income directly. Attempting to tax height is a stupid waste of time and money and "How much income does this person have?" is a question that doesn't require reference to height to answer. See also graduate taxes vs. normal taxes that get higher if your degree lands you a high-paying job, but don't if it doesn't.

quote:

Height is, of course, only one of many possible personal characteristics that are correlated with a person’s opportunities to produce income. In this paper, we have avoided these other variables, such as race and gender, because they are intertwined with a long history of discrimination. In light of this history, any discussion of using these variables in tax policy would raise various political and philosophical issues that go beyond the scope of this paper. But if a height tax is deemed acceptable, tax analysts should entertain the possibility of using other such “tags” as well. As scientific knowledge advances, having the right genes could potentially become the ideal tag.

The easy answer is that none of these "tags" should be entertained as possibilities when writing the tax code. Also, we should shie away from eugenics I reckon.

quote:

Many readers, however, will not quickly embrace the idea of levying higher taxes on tall taxpayers. Indeed, when first hearing the proposal, most people either recoil from it or are amused by it.

Agreed.

quote:

And that reaction is precisely what makes the policy so intriguing. A tax on height follows inexorably from a well-established empirical regularity and the standard approach to the optimal design of tax policy.

Disagreed.

quote:

If the conclusion is rejected, the assumptions must be reconsidered.

Agreed, because the paper's assumptions are wrong. I think I fell asleep at this point because I have nothing to say about the rest of the conclusion.

The entire paper is about using male height vs. income correlations to argue against progressive taxation, because taller people put in more effort or something. I think that it is a bad paper with bad assumptions, though I'm sure the TaxPayers' Alliance would disagree.

Also your quote about how the Bolsheviks attempted to implement communism is not relevant because we are not the Bolsheviks and will not be copying them. I do believe though that we should try to learn from their attempts. :)

Braggart fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 4, 2019

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Ms Adequate posted:

The UK has extremely powerful transphobia. That particular person might be a bot but it could just as easy be a real Mumsnet poster.
It looks like that specimen is alt-right of some description in addition to the transphobia - almost all posts are retweets, including Charlie Kirk, Jack Posobiec, Steven Miller, Andy Ngo, Pim Tool, Shapiro, Piers Morgan, PJW, Brexit, Conservatives, etc. Transphobia, anti-Labour, and general right-wing shittery. Also only started tweeting mid-October having had the account since 2018. Chance of being a bot, I'd say; didn't Cummies say something about using transphobia as a culture war thing?

ed: could also just be a general right-wing arsehole, but is all that poo poo characteristic of the Mumsnet type? I'm not up to date with what's going on there

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1191450264148021251?s=19

Crisis averted, somewhat boring fella won

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Lindsey Hoyle is the speaker

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So yeah about that Russian thing

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/04/no-10-blocks-russia-eu-referendum-report-until-after-election

Gruandiad posted:

Downing Street has effectively blocked the publication of a potentially explosive parliamentary report on the security threat that Russia poses to the UK until after the general election.

With the Commons tied up selecting a new Speaker, the Lords held a special debate about the withheld dossier, following an urgent question from the crossbench peer Lord Anderson, a national security expert. He insisted the delay was unjustified. “It invites, I’m afraid, suspicion of the government and its motives,” he said.

Earl Howe, responding for the government, told peers: “The length of time that the government had had for this report is not at all unusual. It was delivered on 17 October – that is not a very long time ago. And the prime minister is entitled to take his view on what the report contains.”

He was faced with sceptical questions from all sides of the chamber. The crossbencher Lord Butler, a former cabinet secretary, said the document had first been sent out for official clearance on 28 March. “The whole point of this report is that it is relevant to a general election coming up,” he added.

Hmm, I wonder why this report keeps on getting put off a day or two before Brexit was supposed to happen. Someone somewhere along the chain is gonna leak this before the end of the election period I hope.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Looke posted:

Lindsey Hoyle is the speaker

is she hot?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

:wink:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Eschenique posted:

Are Brits the biggest transphobes in the world or are the Russian bots just working overtime for the election?
I don't think Britain is the biggest, looking at the violence in parts of Latin America and at the LGBT hate being funded by American church groups in Africa. (Also looking at the rights that have passed, there's still countries in Europe where trans people have to be sterilized wtf). What Britain may be is the most insidious and academic at it. There's an awful lot of TERF poo poo that gets shared around by well meaning women because it passes a cursory check as women's empowerment if you don't know the dogwhistles.

poo poo like "only women know the suffering of periods, only women will ever know pregnancy, you're not a woman because you grow your hair out or wear a dress, you're a woman because you're YOU like & share" that most people wouldn't think twice about but aims to foster a hostile environment against trans people. That one does seem to have a very Britishness to it, although the Americans are picking up on it.

Also the UK press is poo poo in general, but also transphobic as gently caress, I'm not sure how unique that is to Britain though.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

He and no

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He's got a lovely accent

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Pissflaps rereg spotted.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

LMAO Corbyn called out the Rugby picture

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

He's got a lovely accent

Which for some reason, in my memory, is Scottish, and I'm always confused when I hear him talk.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That Ch4 thing about Seumas Milne being the Devil looked insanely poo poo even though I only saw the last 2 minutes.

I'm glad Pissflaps died, but I'm sure he's already re-regged and probably posting ITT. Be on high alert, the next post you could see could be racist garbage (not this one, starting from the next one)

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1191408591594491904

Swinson might get her three-way after all then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think Britain is the biggest, looking at the violence in parts of Latin America and at the LGBT hate being funded by American church groups in Africa. (Also looking at the rights that have passed, there's still countries in Europe where trans people have to be sterilized wtf). What Britain may be is the most insidious and academic at it. There's an awful lot of TERF poo poo that gets shared around by well meaning women because it passes a cursory check as women's empowerment if you don't know the dogwhistles.

poo poo like "only women know the suffering of periods, only women will ever know pregnancy, you're not a woman because you grow your hair out or wear a dress, you're a woman because you're YOU like & share" that most people wouldn't think twice about but aims to foster a hostile environment against trans people. That one does seem to have a very Britishness to it, although the Americans are picking up on it.

Also the UK press is poo poo in general, but also transphobic as gently caress, I'm not sure how unique that is to Britain though.

A lot of Transphobes in Britain would also 100% be openly hating on gay people as well if they could, but that's considered a bit more socially unacceptable nowdays (political correctness gone mad, etc). So they content themselves with hating on trans folk for now, as a wedge issue, with the eventual hope of extending this back to gay folks and other groups.

Pretty sure this is the aim of all those US Church groups funding this poo poo behind the scenes.