Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Steve Yun posted:

What do my girlfriends and cutting boards have in common?

They’re both “soakin’ wet”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I was directed to post my question in here from the PYF Products thread so here it is.

I need a new Microwave. We have a larger microwave around 1100 watt or whatever they go by. I don't mind the larger one because we have the room where it sits and I can put bigger dishes into it.

What I want to know is what is available for a microwave that is more than a microwave? I want to still have the simple press 1 minute button or whatever style of microwaving but if I can get one that does more than that I might go that route.

If it can be $200 or less that would be great.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Panasonic has these things that can act as steam ovens too. They're kinda neat but expensive.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Looking to upgrade some stuff from hand-me-downs and want to start with a cutting board. i currently have an epicurean one and am looking for something more substantial. Is Boos recommended?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Boos is ridiculously overpriced IMO but I don't have a brand recommendation. Might buy a locally made board, lots of people make them.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

wormil posted:

Boos is ridiculously overpriced IMO but I don't have a brand recommendation. Might buy a locally made board, lots of people make them.

You can get well made boards for reasonable prices on Etsy too.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Thanks. What should I be looking for in terms of kind of wood, end or edge grain, etc?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

barkbell posted:

Thanks. What should I be looking for in terms of kind of wood, end or edge grain, etc?

Any endgrain cutting board should be fine. There are probably some maple ones for cheap. Nicer wood will look prettier and maybe hold up a little better in the long term, but functionally doesn't really matter.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Every wooden cutting board i’ve ever owned eventually cracked, despite me oiling them down regularly, so I think I’m just gonna buy IKEA cutting boards from now on

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Every wooden cutting board i’ve ever owned eventually cracked, despite me oiling them down regularly, so I think I’m just gonna buy IKEA cutting boards from now on
Not counting wooden boards I have just for presentation, I just keep a stack of NSF rated food service boards that I flip/cycle through until they start getting discoloured or scarred and then they go in recycling and I get a new one. Cleaning is easy and safe because they just go through the dishwasher, and I always have a spare, even if I've already used a spare.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I own a big rubber sani-tuff cutting board and it's been good to me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah I only use my wooden boards for presentation... and they still crack! My latest was a teak and it cracked from holding bread on it!

My workhorses are all Oxo plastics

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Tried bamboo? It's not as pretty as end-grain maple or whatever, and I wouldn't want to use it as an actual cutting board. But if you just want a serving platter that looks more rustic than a rectangle of dull white HDPE or whatever it works fine. I've got a big one that I've been using as a carving platter or whatever the gently caress you call it for around 20 years and it's still in good condition.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I got a 12" square endgrain one from World Market about 12 years ago, and it's still holding up under daily (home) use

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m in a trial period with the big ikea bamboo parallelogram one, wish me luck guys

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
buy a thick cutting board it will absolutely last much longer

they also feel awesome

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My previous cutting board was thick like my last girlfriend and it still split like my last girlfriend

Maybe the air in my area is just dry

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Steve Yun posted:

My previous cutting board was thick like my last girlfriend and it still split like my last girlfriend

Maybe the air in my area is just dry

Like your last girlfriend?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it looks to be an inch thick? not thiccccc enough

also you gotta oil the hell out of all sides regularly

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

buy a thick cutting board it will absolutely last much longer

they also feel awesome

yeah my big thick boos (or whatever brand -- that style) certainly hasn't come close to cracking, i don't even know how you can get one of those to crack unless you're constantly throwing them in the dishwasher or like sticking them in the oven

but all thin wooden boards are basically perishable

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Bamboo are okay, they are mostly resin and about the same as using a plastic board but they look better. Mine is really hard and dulls knives fairly quickly.

Thickness is a good hedge against splitting and warping of wood boards, so is keeping both sides of the board dry. I've only had one wood board split but I've run that thing through the dishwasher hundreds of times in the last 20+ years. I jointed the edges, glued it back together, and it's going strong.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Steve Yun posted:

I love these ones.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/finfoerdela-flexible-chopping-board-dark-gray-dark-turquoise-30335898/

They're huge, easy to clean, and help keep the area clean (because you can just drain the whole bloodspattered thing in the sink)

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
my mother has some of those floppy rear end cutting boards and they slide all over the counter and never lay flat

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GP2MTXW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just replace them when they start to look too ragged and get tough to clean. Pretty wood boards are for serving, or for carving bread (and then serving the bread on it).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

it looks to be an inch thick? not thiccccc enough

also you gotta oil the hell out of all sides regularly

It was 1.5 inches and I oiled it all the time

Only had it 3 months before it cracked

Had two bamboo end grain ones too and those lasted about 5 years

I miss them

They were black

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 6, 2019

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

https://smile.amazon.com/Maple-End-Grain-Chopping-Block/dp/B00009OWEE/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=michigan+maple&qid=1572999974&sr=8-5

that's done me good for a few years.

I imagine a lot of the cheaper end grains use young wood or just lovely craftsmanship. I think wood glue itself has been solved. The 15$ beater aldi one I have started to split in like a week but it's limited to a few squares.

^^^
teak is like the hardest wood so good for your knives.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 6, 2019

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
3.5in goddamn

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I’m still really pro- Japanese hinoki boards. Light, cheap, soft (no knife dulling), super absorbent so they’re crack resistant (you don’t even oil them, you just wet them with water when you use them), still wood. Sand ‘em when they get lovely.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

This isn't an option for everyone, but if you have access to a kitchen supply store I will always recommend rubber cutting boards. They're easy on your knives, incredibly durable, will never crack, can be sanded down (if you ever need to do it), bacteria resistant and can be restored to like-new appearance by soaking it in a solution of bleach, dish soap and warm water.

Mine is roughly 24" by 12" and its lasted me going on 4 years now, and I paid roughly $35 for it. In a professional kitchen with constant daily use they still take years to develop enough wear and tear to warrant replacing them. For a former chef who does a lot of amateur cooking at home, mine still looks almost brand new.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You mean like sanituff?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I think I have this exact cutting board, but I can't be sure. Mine doesn't have a logo on it (except for the NSF sticker in the corner). It cost me around the same amount, and it may in fact be 12"x18" and not 12"x24" like I stated earlier.

https://www.katom.com/195-157628.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-4nuBRCnARIsAHwyuPqHbxNzo63P2eEojOvQ4KJASMza3Zb3mJtKUInezOE3LxGwiBQnpGAaAhnjEALw_wcB

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Huh! I might try that, Sanituff is way pricey

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've got a gift card for King Arthur Flour, any recommendations for stuff from them? They have one of the scales that was recommended earlier (the KD-7000, I think that was what was recommended) so I'm definitely going to pick that up since the price is less expensive than a lot of other retailers.

Has anybody tried their bread baking dishes? They've got a few unglazed clay bakers that look neat, one uncovered round one and one covered long one.

They also had some special baguette pans with perforated bottoms, but I feel like I should try for a more rustic loaf. Like a no-knead sourdough kind of vibe.

Edit: This https://shop.kingarthurflour.com/items/long-covered-baker and this https://shop.kingarthurflour.com/items/bread-baking-bowl are what I'm talking about.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 9, 2019

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Eeyo posted:

I've got a gift card for King Arthur Flour, any recommendations for stuff from them? They have one of the scales that was recommended earlier (the KD-7000, I think that was what was recommended) so I'm definitely going to pick that up since the price is less expensive than a lot of other retailers.

Has anybody tried their bread baking dishes? They've got a few unglazed clay bakers that look neat, one uncovered round one and one covered long one.

They also had some special baguette pans with perforated bottoms, but I feel like I should try for a more rustic loaf. Like a no-knead sourdough kind of vibe.

Edit: This https://shop.kingarthurflour.com/items/long-covered-baker and this https://shop.kingarthurflour.com/items/bread-baking-bowl are what I'm talking about.

If they have the Maestro scale, get that instead.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

i keep thinking abt the maestro but it isn’t always available and has so few reviews and a bad average score opposed to the kd7k

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SHVPS4DETH posted:

i keep thinking abt the maestro but it isn’t always available and has so few reviews and a bad average score opposed to the kd7k

It's just newer. It's better in a few ways. Check my posts in this thread, I posted a comparison.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Unfortunately it looks like they don’t. I already have an Amazon special drug scale (American weights or whatever it is) for tea (scales are really good for tea by the way) so the small 0.1g scale isn’t strictly necessary for me. Otherwise I’d probably look around for that one.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Eeyo posted:

I use their flour, I sometimes get milk powder and espresso powder from them but you can usually buy it cheaper elsewhere. Stuff wise, I have a stoneware crock from them for my sourdough, as well as some bench scrapers and bowl scrapers. Maybe a few proofing bins.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad’s birthday is coming up and he wants a coffee maker that can do both ground coffee and Keurig cups. I didn’t even know these existed. Have any of y’all ever heard of this?

I might have to crosspost this in the Coffee thread, but I might as well ask here first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

My dad’s birthday is coming up and he wants a coffee maker that can do both ground coffee and Keurig cups. I didn’t even know these existed. Have any of y’all ever heard of this?

I might have to crosspost this in the Coffee thread, but I might as well ask here first.

Pretty sure I have seen them in various sales, they were universally poo poo. Does he like coffee or is it just caffeine to him? Is the keurig just about the convenience?