Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Viscous Soda posted:

:lol: Watch the video in the linked bug report, the bug seems to make you immune to the airlock "kill zone". They just cannot seem to stop naked men from running around in space.

Star Citizen: They just cannot seem to stop naked men from running around in space.

Edit: Astrokat taxxe.

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Le subtweet

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Trillhouse posted:

Le subtweet

Imagine being an adult using lovely Tumblr vernacular

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trillhouse posted:

Le subtweet

Le lelele

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paladinus posted:

Shopping for a new sound card. Should I buy Sound Blaster AWE64 for full in-game experience or would AWE32 do?

Its all overrated, you can't tell the difference unless running some really high end speakers. Just go with a Soundblaster 54.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beexoffel posted:

Star Citizen: They just cannot seem to stop naked men from running around in space.

Edit: Astrokat taxxe.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

You can PAY for everything in Star Citizen. Doesn't mean you're going to get it. Doesn't mean there will be a game to earn it in for free eventually. Doesn't mean the money won't be spent on a mansion instead.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I'm disappointed that he didn't insert his referral code in there.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Can I point out that simply upvoting this for visibility is brigading, and you should have an entirely *legitimate* reason for wanting to see Romero's response to that.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I'd lose my poo poo if Romero responded along the lines of "as a game developer, Star Citizen is not my area of expertise." The entire question isn't because the poster wants John's opinion, he just wants to link the phrase "game developer" to the phrase "Star Citizen" in a bid to legitimize it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

Can I point out that simply upvoting this for visibility is brigading, and you should have an entirely *legitimate* reason for wanting to see Romero's response to that.

I upvoted that totally organically!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Not the answer that Chris would have given

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thing is, if Romero were to be critical, Cym would simply declare him to know nothing about game devleopment, say he won't buy any more of his games, and that he is unsubscrbing from his website or whatever.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Foo Diddley posted:

Hah! Great answer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Foo Diddley posted:

lol

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

https://kotaku.com/in-the-future-hideo-kojima-says-his-studio-will-make-f-1839603527

So kojima is doing the chris roberts thing and wanting to make movies. Also early reviews of his singular vision video game are either "This is like liquid gold" or "This is loving piss".

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Armadillo Tank posted:

https://kotaku.com/in-the-future-hideo-kojima-says-his-studio-will-make-f-1839603527

So kojima is doing the chris roberts thing and wanting to make movies. Also early reviews of his singular vision video game are either "This is like liquid gold" or "This is loving piss".

So I played MGS5 phantom pain due to all the reviews assuring me it was just incredibly amazing you guys. So I install and play, crawl around, go through tutorials, send sheep up on balloons, shooting people, the whole 9. After what seemed like 40 hours in I started to think "this is the longest goddamned video game tutorial I've ever goddamned experienced, I hope the game starts up in earnest soon." Eventually I realized I had been playing the game proper the entire time, it just felt like a tutorial because everything was all presentation with no substance, and a meaningless story that is "deep" if you're the type who can drown in a cup of water, but insipid if you're more your standard regular person. No technical quibbles that I can recall, just sleep-inducing as poo poo, and an army of people ready to tell you that you don't "get it" if you think the story is anything less than stellar. Hot tip for those people: if you "get" something then by logical deduction it's necessarily simple.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Sure, but if you want Star Citizen to be the best space second life marine miner and mopper simulation experience that ever was, then you'd better cough up some real dough.

A game could be produced without the perpetual funding, but not the game of your ~d~r~e~a~m~s~.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

I'd lose my poo poo if Romero responded along the lines of "as a game developer, Star Citizen is not my area of expertise." The entire question isn't because the poster wants John's opinion, he just wants to link the phrase "game developer" to the phrase "Star Citizen" in a bid to legitimize it.

But mostly it's the brain worms that cause Cym to think and talk about nothing but Star Citizen ever at all times.

Scruffpuff posted:

So I played MGS5 phantom pain due to all the reviews assuring me it was just incredibly amazing you guys. So I install and play, crawl around, go through tutorials, send sheep up on balloons, shooting people, the whole 9. After what seemed like 40 hours in I started to think "this is the longest goddamned video game tutorial I've ever goddamned experienced, I hope the game starts up in earnest soon." Eventually I realized I had been playing the game proper the entire time, it just felt like a tutorial because everything was all presentation with no substance, and a meaningless story that is "deep" if you're the type who can drown in a cup of water, but insipid if you're more your standard regular person. No technical quibbles that I can recall, just sleep-inducing as poo poo, and an army of people ready to tell you that you don't "get it" if you think the story is anything less than stellar. Hot tip for those people: if you "get" something then by logical deduction it's necessarily simple.

MGS5's story is dogshit and unfun even if you like Kojima's particular brand of ironic dumbness, and the tutorial is a bit overlong. But the tutorial DOES end pretty clearly when you're plopped in your first mission in Afghanistan, and allowed to access the open world not long after, so I'm not sure what you're getting at with that part.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 4, 2019

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
CIG: Jump Point - The Road to Object-Container-Streaming

Parallel Component Loading and Initialization posted:

With all the groundwork done we have:
•Levels split into building block (the Object-Container)
•Entities (which make up a large part of the Object-Container) implemented without LUA and as components
•All entity runtime state organized in Serialized-Variables for easier state communication via network
•Multi-threaded creation of engine-side resources (textures, meshes, characters etc.)

The next steps are building on that foundation. Our first goal was to actually load entities in parallel to the game simulation. This first step didn’t include any high-level logic of what to load or unload or when yet, so it was a very dumb streaming system. Nevertheless, it already reduced the runtime stuttering (e.g. spawning a ship at runtime no longer required us to run the initialization code of the ship’s entities as part of the game simulation).

At that time, we had roughly 300 to 400 different component types. If we had tried to execute all those in parallel from the start, we would have drowned in bugs. Therefore, we had to develop a system allowing us to incrementally execute more and more component types in parallel to the game simulation. The more component types we made safe for parallel loading, the less the game simulation would stutter.

The solution we have chosen is utilizing Fibers. A Fiber is an execution state where we can control exactly when and where we want to execute it (parallel loading or game simulation). While Fibers can be very tricky to use, they provided exactly the control we needed. With Fibers, we could move the logic for resource loading between concurrent loading threads and game simulation threads, depending if the component type supported parallel loading or not. And with that, it was possible to step-by-step adjust more and more code to run in parallel while ensuring that everyone uses (and thus tests) the already parallelized code. Those changes were partially rolled out with Alpha 3.2, where they reduced the stuttering caused by loading entity resources at runtime, like spawning ships.

Nishanov: Fibers Under the Magnifying Glass

Abstract posted:

Fibers (sometimes called stackful coroutines or user mode cooperatively scheduled threads) and stackless coroutines (compiler synthesized state machines) represent two distinct programming facilities with vast performance and functionality differences.

This paper highlights efficiency, scalability and usability problems of fibers and reaches the conclusion that they are not an appropriate solution for writing scalable concurrent software

Case Studies posted:

We have accumulated more than a quarter century of experience with fibers across variety of programming languages and platforms. In the 90s fibers and N : M scheduling looked promising, now, with improvements in hardware, operating system kernel and painful experience of trying to make the fibers work has resulted in a recommendation: DO NOT USE FIBERS! Use threads instead and/or write your code using asynchronous APIs with hand-crafted state machines.

Fiber Use on Windows posted:

Current recommendation is to avoid using fibers and UMS. This advice from 2005 remains unchanged:

“... [I]nstead of spending your time rewriting your app to use fibers (and it IS a rewrite), instead it's better to rearchitect your app to use a "minimal context" model -instead of maintaining the state of your server on the stack, maintain it in a small data structure, and have that structure drive a small one-thread-per-cpu state machine.”

Solaris posted:

After exploring N:M programming model for 7 years, Sun Microsystem abandoned it in favor of simpler 1:1 threading.

Linux posted:

Similarly, after exploring N:M model for a bit, Linux kernel adopted 1:1 threading since kernel 2.6

POSIX posted:

After providing facilities for user-mode stack switching (ucontext_t) for 8 years, POSIX deprecates and removes it.

Facebook Experience posted:

Facebook has deployed fibers internally for 5 years and now “... looking to migrate away from it as soon as we are confident of the direction [stackless] Coroutines will go in in the standard. We already try to dissuade non-experts from using them as much as possible, but in the absence of anything better they occasionally do.”.

Programming Language survey posted:

The only programming language among top 10 most popular languages according to TIOBE index [TiobeIndex] that provides fibers is Go. Go programming language uses fibers successfully, but incurs a very high cost (~160ns) whenever it has to interoperate with C libraries, due to the need to swap in normal stack [GoOverhead]. That is not acceptable for C++ where the ability to seamlessly and efficiently interoperate with existing code is very important.

Conclusion posted:

While fibers may have looked like an attractive approach to write scalable concurrent code in the 90s, the experience of using fibers, the advances in operating systems, hardware and compiler technology (stackless coroutines), made them no longer a recommended facility.

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 4, 2019

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

With all the ground work done

I stopped reading after that

These loving dev's have been finishing the ground work on everything for 7 years, and they never go past that point

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Blue On Blue posted:

These loving dev's have been finishing the ground work on everything for 7 years, and they never go past that point

Maybe the Kickstarter should have added an asterisk where they honestly wrote at the end that they will need to learn game and engine development for the first decade after the stretch goals are locked.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Blue On Blue posted:

Reading the dev diaries it really just reminds me of doing an engineering group project in undergrad.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

Maybe the Kickstarter should have added an asterisk where they honestly wrote at the end that they will need to learn game and engine development for the first decade after the stretch goals are locked.

for real though, have they ever FINISHED anything they talk about 100% in the game?

every little buzz word they come up with, they talk about it for awhile, use it in videos, then it just fades away and they trot out the NEXT buzz word to keep funding going for the next few months

its frustrating because they've been doing it non stop for years and no one ever says anything about it, aside from us goons

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

CR going back to the 90's for inspiration on how to make games. All developers know that Fibres are the next big thing for code monkeys now in 1993.

"Fibres" should be addded to the Citcon bingo card. :)

E; Finally noticed that I'd spelt "Fibers" wrong, but it stands since my spelling indicates a turd is in the making. :thumbsup:

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 5, 2019

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I feel sorry for Rockstar games about to release Red Dead Redreamption Two on P.C.

Don't they know Chris Roberts is the only true savior of PC gaming, they are just coming off as desperate.

Sorry Rockstar, you should have know when you were beat.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 5, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Translation: on-the-fly loading and unloading of complex multiplayer entities to servers is hard, instead of developing a proper architecture before we started making a billion entities, we have instead decided to use extremely complicated and inefficient *computer magic* to figuratively pound a square peg into a round (rear end)hole to solve the issue. Early days

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 5, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

The solution we have chosen is utilizing Fibers. A Fiber is an execution state where we can control exactly when and where we want to execute it (parallel loading or game simulation). While Fibers can be very tricky to use, they provided exactly the control we needed. With Fibers, we could move the logic for resource loading between concurrent loading threads and game simulation threads, depending if the component type supported parallel loading or not. And with that, it was possible to step-by-step adjust more and more code to run in parallel while ensuring that everyone uses (and thus tests) the already parallelized code. Those changes were partially rolled out with Alpha 3.2, where they reduced the stuttering caused by loading entity resources at runtime, like spawning ships.

WHAT

:psyduck:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

NO

NOOOOO

THAT'S NOT, THAT'S WRONG

WHY

quote:

TECHNOLOGICAL LIMITS OBJECT-CONTAINER-STREAMING MUST OVERCOME
But what implications does that goal have for the engine technology? Foremost, a videogame must refresh its screen at least 30 times a second to give the impression of a fluent experience.

Ah yes, targeting 30fps, very nice SC

quote:

Each frame, the game simulation asks the character manager to update all loaded characters. And here it becomes tricky. If our character resource loading finishes in parallel to the character update, it wants to put the newly loaded character into the character manager’s list, so that the character will receive updates in the future. Putting the character into the list modifies it. If the game simulation is using this list at the same time to update the characters, this can result in a data corruption and crash the game

This is "baby's first videogame" stuff

They're how many years into development?

Nobody involved in this project has any idea how to architect a game engine. None whatsoever. This is insane.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 5, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

WHAT

:psyduck:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

NO

NOOOOO

THAT'S NOT, THAT'S WRONG

WHY

Ah yes, targeting 30fps, very nice SC

I see that you don't speak weasel, when they say that "those changes were partially rolled out..." they don't mean the fibers, they mean their Comp501 brute force solution.

They have nothing. The fibers is just some fresh meat for that Kazan to defend

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
CIG is almost caught to late 90s computing concepts. Just wait until they "invent" multicore processors.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Literally everything CIG does is a backwards hack because they either have no idea or refuse to put the work in to do things the right way

The entire game is "oh poo poo this term paper is due at midnight?" solutions.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

CI!G: "We are doing a new technology, FIBERS! Surely this will be the magic silver bullet we have been searching for! What do you mean 'Linux, Facebook and Sun Microsystems tried to make them work for years and then moved to something else'? Bah, they just didn't try hard enough.":colbert:

This post is great, and it's CI!G in a nutshell: every single thing about fibers is a warning that they're too much of a pain in the rear end and not worth it, and that you shouldn't use them. So what is CI!G's new plan? Well obviously they're going to bash fibers into their overloaded zombie of a code base and hope it works somehow. Then in a few months (or years) when they slowly realize fibers won't do what they're blindly hoping they will do, CI!G will eventually abandon them and move to the next snake oil fix. Meanwhile their code base has become that much more impossible to fix because they blindly jammed fibers into it hoping it would magically fix everything.

Chris Roberts really is stuck in the loving 90's, and we're now in year 8 of him being confused that things didn't just scale linearly from the last time he actually worked on a Wing Commmander game or Freelancer, or that DVD-quality cut-scenes do not single-handedly make a game impressive anymore (if they ever did).

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 5, 2019

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Star Citizen: Developing your fibers for 7 years

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

Well, no, but it's the answer a game developer would give.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Translation: on-the-fly loading and unloading of complex multiplayer entities to servers is hard, instead of developing a proper architecture before we started making a billion entities, we have instead decided to use extremely complicated and inefficient *computer magic* to figuratively pound a square peg into a round (rear end)hole to solve the issue. Early days

It’s going to be a fractal explosion of bullshit after the refactor.

People who do this: could fibers be jammed into the concept of chained shaders to leverage the GPU? I know that one of the extrapolations of raytracing is specific vector calculations to extend physics engines, but the people who talk about these things assume a couple of years before application.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

MGS5 is pretty good for just messing around with stealth in an open world setting, but the whole main plot just seems kind of weird and unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Saladin Rising posted:

CI!G: "We are doing a new technology, FIBERS! Surely this will be the magic silver bullet we have been searching for! What do you mean 'Linux, Facebook and Sun Microsystems tried to make them work for years and then moved to something else'? Bah, they just didn't try hard enough.":colbert:

This post is great, and it's CI!G in a nutshell: every single thing about fibers is a warning that they're too much of a pain in the rear end and not worth it, and that you shouldn't use them. So what is CI!G's new plan? Well obviously they're going to bash fibers into their overloaded zombie of a code base and hope it works somehow. Then in a few months (or years) when they slowly realize fibers won't do what they're blindly hoping they will do, CI!G will eventually abandon them and move to the next snake oil fix. Meanwhile their code base has become that much more impossible to fix because they blindly jammed fibers into it hoping it would magically fix everything.

Chris Roberts really is stuck in the loving 90's, and we're now in year 8 of him being confused that things didn't just scale linearly from the last time he actually worked on a Wing Commmander game or Freelancer, or that DVD-quality cut-scenes do not single-handedly make a game impressive anymore (if they ever did).

:lol:

After 8 years and 300 million dollars they're still trying to create the basic infrastructure for an MMO, now using 90's technology. It's all :discourse: